“wedding at cocobay resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cocobay Resort

You added Cocobay Resort to your Saves list
Cocobay Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Valley Church, Bolans, Saint Mary's 431, Antigua   |
Special Price
10% Honeymooner Discount
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Durham, United Kingdom
“wedding at cocobay resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

what a fabulous place for a wedding.My Son and his fiance got married at Cocobay and the setting was perfect in every way.The staff, the manager "ONeal and everyone involved with the wedding were brilliant.The food and drink was excellent and we could not fault the resort. Right down to Virgin Atlantic for making our journey very pleasant, it was two weeks to remember as the best time both me and my wife ever enjoyed. THANK YOU COCOBAY *****

Room Tip: No advice. All the rooms seemed to be good. If you want a plunge pool and air con you have to upgrad...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

We visited cocbay in October 2011 for a 'weddingmoon', combining our wedding with our honeymoon. When we arrived we were amazed at what a beautiful place we had chosen!!! We had big expectations and I have to say that the whole resort and its staff far surpassed them.

Our wedding went without a hitch and I cannot thank Tameka who organises all wedding enough. We had ours on the beach and it was totally AMAZING!!!! I would highly recommend having your wedding at this resort with the beautiful blue ocean and breath taking views providing a great back-drop. We also arranged for Shelly Chadburn to take our photos which came out really well and cost no more than a photographer back in the U.K.

Our cottage was perfect and although we didn't opt for the plunge pool we had everything we needed and a great view to wake upto in the morning! Take clothes pegs for the mosquito net but if you forget just use your flip'flops like we did ;) The towels and bedding were changed daily.

The resort wasn't 5 star but I would say 4 star although virgin rate at a 3.5. We didn't use the pool at all (why bother when the sea is so beautiful!) but it did look clean and from those who we spoke to who had used it - they enjoyed it! The bar is great open 10am till 11pm, but if your very lucky they will leave a few drinks out for you to have past that time and the staff never go home before filling up your drinks. Try all the cocktails, the bushwhacker was my fav, but there are loads to choose from. Orriel and Saskia make amazing drinks and will keep you captivated with stories while they do it.

The food at the resort is the best I have ever had while away, the brekkie and lunch menus are buffet style while dinner is sit down and order 4 course 'a'la carte menu. There is a choice that will suit all tastes each night. We had some of the fussiest eaters in our wedding party but they could always find something to eat every night.

The beach and sea is like being in paradise. The sand really was white and the sea a perfect blue. None of the beaches in Antigua are private so there are locals on there trying to sell you bracelets and necklaces. Sean is the salesman you need to see for trips and excursions along with hire of the jet-skis. We got a few good deals out of him and much better prices than the rep was offering on the same journeys. The jet-skis are well worth it, we hired two for 30mins at a cost of $75 which was quite resonable. A little tip on the beach - if your wanting peace and quiet walk to the bottom of the beach next to the hotel, past the bar and there is another similar beach but there is usually only one or two people on it. The beach there is stunning.

For me a holiday is very easily made or broken by the staff and I do think this is where Cocobay surpasses every hotel. The staff are immense, they are all about making your holiday the best you have ever had. A special thankyou goes to the following who just went the extra mile; Jermaine, Saskia, Orreil, Sasha, Melissa, cupcake and the manager oneal. Nothing was ever too much trouble.

I love the resort being an adult only venue (we have three little ones at home some this was like heaven!), so you dont have to worry about saying something wrong or have screaming kids around, but I was a little disappointed during our final week when a few younger guests arrived. Although they weren't really causing any trouble some of their adolescent behaviour was put on display every now and again and it took away from the tranquility of the resort, particularly when its advertised as an adults only resort. We have decided that we will only go when the kids are at school in a bid to prevent a repeat of our second week as October half term was the week of dissappointment!

Make sure you take plenty of insect repellent with a very high deet content and take Avon skin so soft - the people who used that didn't get bit once. It wasn't the mosquitos that all of us had an issue with but the 'sandflies'. Take cream to stop you itching them to they are nasty!

By far the best holiday we've had and we will be returning again and again!

Room Tip: use the aircon/pay extra for it-its well worth it!
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Our stay at Cocobay was amazing. This is not a 5 star luxury resort but the individual bungalos were much better than staying in a hotel. The privacy was unbelievable. The beach was clean and quiet. The service was A-rated. When we first arrived in Antigua we were a little worried because the resorts we passed on the way to Cocobay did not look that great. When we got to Cocobay we couldn't believe what a great choice we had made. We had a seafront cottage with a plunge pool. It was absolutely great. This is an all inclusive resort. The dinner menu was different every night. There was also hot meals for breakfast and lunch; not to mention the open bar from 10am to 11pm daily. I would HIGHLY recommend Cocobay to anyone considering.

Room Tip: Visit Shirley Heights on Sunday night!
mobile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I went to Coco Bay Resort in October for my honeymoon. We were absolutely blown away! I was initially concerned about leaving the safety of the USA, but they were quickly erased! The staff greeted us at the door by name (we had not even introduced ourselves!) with a glass of delightful rum punch and huge Antigan smiles! The Resort Manager, Oneal, was also there to greet us upon arrival. Our room was perfect, clean, and cozy. There are not words to describe the beauty of this place, not only the island, but also the resort. The pictures I took did not even do it justice! The gardens were so lush and colorful which was an amazing contrast to the crystal blue waters. It was very quiet, perfect for a couples retreat. The staff were beyond accomodating and we even recieved a complimentary couples massage! Everyone wore a smile. Even the locals on the beach peddling their wares and exursions were great! We went horseback riding two days in a row. I felt very safe with the local guide away from the resort on horseback. The guide was really looking out for my safety which greatly pleased me. While snorkling we found countless starfish, some nearly as big as my head, an octopus (I even got to hold it and could barely free it from my arm!), stingray, and hundreds of colorful fish. The food was devine and so plentyful that I couldnt even attend each meal, it was a taste of heaven three times a day! I could go on and on about this place. I absolutely reccomend it to anyone looking for a quiet yet exiting getaway. I have only one recommendation to guests...bring clothes pins for the mosquito netting and you will sleep peaceful and uninterrupted by anything but the sound of the water on the rocks below. Enjoy!
The Broadus's

Room Tip: The oleander was so private!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed at cocobay for our honeymoon and it was perfect! all the little small touches made such a personal feel to our holiday. The staff were fantastic and the location was stunning would go back in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed October 2011
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Myself and Julie (my new wife) stayed here for 2 weeks mid October 2011. We cannot recommend the hotel, staff and food enough. Everything from the welcome through to the time of departure was perfect. Staff such as Phillis and Melissa are great hosts. The staff here could teach UK equivalents a thing or two. Nothing was too much trouble and staff made you feel like you were the only people staying at the resort. Although this clearly isn't the case, such a feeling is unusual and when the manager (O'Neill) personally introduced himself and sought feedback on a one-to-one basis on the day of departure, we were blown-away: unheard of! The location is good with plenty to do (the hotel and a few local 'characters' will always be there to help you get a great time and experience!) - we can recommend the dinner on the beach and helicopter flight to Montserrat in particular. The bar staff area great and know how to deal with people in order (e.g. Oriel who is a great host) and the food is always varied, tasty and excellent quality - just beware of the quantity! Our pre-wedding weight loss was regained without any effort whatsoever! The rooms are good, the view is stunning and the whole location romantic. Overall, we had a great time with lots of great memories. Antigua is a lovely place and the people are great. Very friendly and welcoming. Get yourself out there!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea front room with plunge pool!
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed at Cocobay resort for my honeymoon in October 2011. My husband planned this trip completely so it was a very big surprise for me. I was a little nervous but It was a wonderful experience!
The staff at the resort is overall very friendly. As soon as you get there they welcome you with a refreshing cold washcloth to rub over your face or hands and a glass of rum punch. Very nice after being on nasty planes all day. They checked us in and walked us to our sweet little cottage. This small little island cabin was adorable. It was perfect....It has a nice sized bathroom with an open shower with doors right beside it that lead to the private porch. You can shower and walk right out on your porch and see the most beautiful view of the ocean and mountains. One weird thing though was that they don't supply washcloths...which i thought was weird and missed them when i tried to wash off layers of sunscreen every evening. The room itself had a nice big bed with a canopy over it. Big double doors that led to the porch as well. Then I noticed we had our own personal "infinity plunge pool" which was so awesome. You could swim privately whenever you wanted and
be right at home. The hammock on the deck was Great for reading and lounging. The room and pool was very clean and that was SO important to me. Also the Ac unit was completely necessary and worked great. There was a flat screen tv in there which was nice but one bad thing was there was no cable. Only movies to order for $9 each. It would have been nice to lay around one morning and watch some tv since we are so busy at home and don't have time to do that normally. I know a lot of people like getting away from that but I would have enjoyed it if we would have had some cable...and also so WIFI. Same thing, would love to have that to play on sometimes...the only spot we could get a strong connection was the lobby.
The community pool was right near the bar and it was great. Nice strong drinks and beer whenever you want. All island brand liquor though, no grey goose or familiar brands. Great views everywhere you are on the island.
the beach was great too....there were a few things that were included as far as activities...kyaking, snorkeling and sail boats. Lots of people took advantage of these activities. I do wish there would have been a beach bar of some sort. Because there wasn't, we ended up staying at the pool almost everyday. There was also a couple people on the beach that were always hassling you to sign up for some excursions. You gotta tell those people straight up that you are not interested if you want to be left alone. But then once you do, you're good.
The restaurant was delicious. It is very romantic and the food was good quality and tasted great. There were a few pies though that we had tried for dessert that tasted a little store bought, not very authentic. But overall I give the restaurant a 4. 5 out of 5. This is the only restaurant though that is included. The menu changes every night but if you want a whole lot of variety in cuisine then this isn't it.
I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone and I would visit again in the future. oh don't forget BRING BUG SPRAY and ANTI ITCH CREAM. There are lots of sand flies and mosquitos.
Cocobay was a great stay :)

Room Tip: The cottages that are right in front, closest to the water are the most private.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
Blue Waters Antigua
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
#2 of 17 in St. John's
4.5 of 5 stars 482 reviews

Been to Cocobay Resort? Share your experiences!