“Clean, plenty of space, on a beautiful beach” 4 of 5 stars

Tranquility Bay Antigua
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jolly Harbour, Bolans, Saint Mary's, Antigua   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Bolans
Annapolis, Maryland
“Clean, plenty of space, on a beautiful beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We celebrated our 1st anniversary here back in August. There are many resorts to choose from, keeping in mind there is one international airport located in St. Johns. Tranquility Bay is approximately 25 minutes from the airport, but well worth the "seclusion". We had a one bedroom suite, we were in the building closest to the beach too! The rooms are clean, plenty of space for two. The beach is clean with not many people to crowd it. The only complaint we had was the AC, it seemed to not work at all. The engineer came by promptly after we complained, he worked on it a bit but it never seem to be in full working order. Otherwise, plenty of delicious restaurants to choose from (all within walking distance), local grocery store close, and you're able to use and enjoy the adjacent resorts amenities. I would recommend this resort and we will return again.

Room Tip: Ask to be booked in the building closest to the beach!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I lost count long ago how many times I've stayed at Tranquility Bay Antigua (TBA), but it is at a minimum several dozen times over at least the past 6-7 years. When I first started staying there it was still called (the suites at) Jolly Beach Vacations. My most recent stay was in early July 2013, and I would have stayed there on an even more recent visit to Antigua in late September 2013 had the property not been closed for maintenance until October 16.

While not every stay has necessarily been perfect in every respect, the fact that I keep going back to TBA (revealed preference, as we economists would say) clearly speaks volumes. The full list of positives would be much too long to enumerate, but key among them are the following. First, the staff -- Dawne, Felmina, and the rest of the team, including the housekeepers, have become like family, and always make me feel welcome to the core. Their helpfulness extends way beyond the call of duty; I am still very touched, for instance, by the occasion when, many stays ago, Felmina advised me that that particular 3-4 night stay would be on the house "as our way of saying thank you for always coming back".

Second, the property itself is lovely, four largish three-floor buildings set in tropical gardens, with ample parking for rental cars. One of the property's biggest assets is the long stretch of fine sand beach, definitely one of Antigua's nicest, which is but a few steps from any of the buildings (the building closest to the beach is called "Sunset Delight", literally a few meters away from the beach, and you can see the water from a few of the suites).

Third, even though it is some way (slightly under 30 minutes' drive) from the airport (V. C. Bird International) and Antigua's main town (St. John's, the capital, about 20 minutes' drive), TBA is very conveniently situated for various activities and shopping, etc. For instance, there is an outstanding dive shop (owner: Paul Roos) right on the beach near the Sunset Delight building, which I have used numerous times. Nearby Jolly Harbor (2 minutes' drive or 5 minutes' walk) has a well-stocked supermarket, pharmacy, liquor store, and a host of other stores and restaurants.

And fourth, the (self-catering) suites themselves are very nice. I usually stay in a one-bedroom, but have also stayed in a two-bedroom a handful of times. They are spacious and come with full, well-equipped kitchens and bathrooms (one in the one-bedrooms, two in the two-bedrooms). Washer/dryer is also available (actually inside the two-bedroom suites, and in a common area for the one-bedroom). (Note: I have never stayed on the top floor, so don't know exactly what configuration suites are up there, but judging from some of the reviews the suites up there are really nice.) The furniture and interior decoration are basic but tasteful and reasonably comfortable. There is free WiFi (locked, so ask for the code). All the suites have large balconies with lounge chairs and regular table and chairs.

I have only very occasionally noted any deficiencies at all. Least infrequent was finding a problem with one or both air conditioning units, usually that it/they did not cool properly. The management were, however, quite prompt in addressing the issue (a couple of times I recall being moved to a different suite, most other times the duty engineer was able to resolve the problem). Very occasionally also I recall noise being an issue. Each one-bedroom suite is located next to a two-bedroom and there is a connecting door (locked, obviously) between the two. Once or twice I had a family with small (and very loud) children staying next door, and found it a little bit of a handicap.
Finally, the WiFi sometimes goes in and out, and in such cases maintaining a VPN or Skype connection can be a bit of a challenge. Nevertheless, the WiFi at the reception appears more reliable.

Can't wait until my next stay at TBA!!!

Room Tip: Honestly, I can't remember ever being disappointed with a particular suite, and I've stayed...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
N California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We booked via Interval International and stayed August 24th to the 30th. We got a one bedroom and it was okay, we are used to what places are like on the Islands but we had no AC and we complained every day since it was awful to try and sleep, to hot, to sweaty and miserable. Everything else was great, the staff very nice, the beach is awesome, we loved it. Finally after our 4 days of complaining and calling Interval International we got moved to a two bedroom with AC, YAY....better late than never lol. Our room was cleaned daily, WiFi was not strong in our one bedroom and went out a lot but was better in the two bedroom except when the power went out, bed(s) were kind of hard but otherwise we really didn't have any problems with the rooms. We normally don't stay in our room much anyways. If you love a great beach and understand the rooms are okay for a small Island and it's not the Hilton then you'll be fine here. If we were to go back we wouldn't have an issue staying there again as long as we have AC.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I paid 450 USD per night because I read all the positive comments. I don't understand how you can pay such an amount and get a regular (spacious) room, The share the pool and the rest of the amenities with Jolly Beach Resort but and we were the Cinderellas, no towel, no service in the amenities. The lobby was a mobile trailer, the restaurant (Hemispheres) was a bad joke... I paid for the all inclusive option... well the food was bad and the restaurant was invaded by lots of crows who were flying in there and no one cared, quite anti hygienic.

The beach was beautiful, the tranquility Bay staff was nice, the Jolly Beach staff was rude, the Friday and Saturday shows were nice, but for 450 dollars a night this hotel was a bad choice.

Some Jolly Beach Resort Staff members even had the audacity to suggest that we made a bad choice.

The island coast line and waters are just beautiful. Most of the people we met were friendly and nice.

Room Tip: If you still decide to go there choose the first floor 'cause there is no elevator
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I loved the resort, and the staff was very polite and helpful. I also really loved the proximity to the beach. The nearby restaurants and food was great. The easy access to the rest of the Jolly Beach services made sure there was always something for us to do. We found our way easily on the buses that leave right from the resort and go into town. I had a really great time and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed in a two bedroom suite in the sunset delight building. Request this building as it is closest to the beach. I will make a list of pros and cons.

PRO
Hotel staff: excellent very accommodating. For example I needed an extra night stay purchased a one bedroom but was allowed to stay in my same two bedroom suite. Housekeeping service was good as well. Just be friendly and communicate your needs.

Location: excellent. Tranquility Bay is located near a market were u can buy groceries, bus station, post office and restaurants. Everything is in walking distance. If you have little ones then rent a golf cart. I felt safe. A lot of excursions leave from Jolly Harbour so that's a plus.

Beach: good. The Caribbean Sea is very pretty. There are plenty of fun watersports to get into. We went jet skiing it was fun.

Rooms: great. The rooms are very spacious. Great for a family or friends. The rooms were clean, and had working air conditioners. I did not hear my neighbors or the people above me. The rooms have large decks with built in screens to allow in fresh air. The kitchen is equipped with most appliances to include a blender. My room had to safes in the master bedroom closet

CONS

Beach: Tranquility Bay needs to replace lawn chairs. Also I heard the Caribbean Sea on the other side of town is clearer. Lots of seashells on sand.

RoOm: Has no oven.

Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Harare, Zimbabwe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in a huge 2 bed suite with the biggest balcony ever. This was my first stay in Antigua and I will never stay anywhere else. The air conditioners are really loud but we found if we turned them off at night and just used the ceiling fans we were perfect. There were a couple things missing from our kitchen, namely the cork screw and the blender, but as soon as we contacted the front desk about it we had replacements sent up promptly. You can't ask for more than that! Filmena was extremely helpful and very attentive to our needs. She took care of us through our whole stay from booking an excursion to Barbuda to changing our beach towels. We were there for the beach and were not disappointed. White sand, some shells, Caribbean blue sea, lots of lounge chairs (although those could stand to be replaced/upgraded), great swimming area without plant life and a perfect distance to walk the beach. Just watch out for the jet skis. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Tranquility Bay Antigua? Share your experiences!