“Great Beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Thanh Kieu Coco Beach Resort

You added Thanh Kieu Coco Beach Resort to your Saves list
Thanh Kieu Coco Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   100C/14 Tran Hung Dao street, Duong Dong, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam   |
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Duong Dong
Toronto, Canada
“Great Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was the second of two places we stayed at in Phu Quoc and having walked along the coastline before staying at this place, it definitely has one of the best beaches. From what we noticed the other hotels/resorts had poor sized beaches with very few beach beds, Thanh Kieu has a beautiful wide beach with many chairs for those who want to lounge in the sun.The landscaping here is very well kept and beautiful, the whole resort itself looks great.

Staff however weren't the friendliest nor too helpful. The first night we got there we asked for a suggestion for a place to eat. The concierge told us to walk the beach and find a good place on our own and that he had no suggestions, he seemed to just want to get us out and to our room.

Breakfast was included, buffet style, and compared to what we were getting at other Phu Quoc resorts, it had a really good selection. Again, the staff seemed annoyed when you requested an omelet from the omelet station.

We had an ocean view room and the view was spectacular. Even though there are other bungalows next to you, the landscaping and set up of the bungalow makes it feel so private, it's beautiful. Another perk was that we got to step out from our bungalow and instantly be on the beach, it was close enough for easy access but still had our privacy.

Worse part...NO A/C. It's tough when you're out in the sun all day and you just want to retreat to a place to cool down, there is no where on the resort with a/c. For the price of the bungalows at this resort, it's overpriced for not having a/c nor tv.

Very good location, walkable to the main strip and a short cab ride to the Night Market. It has the firm Vietnamese style mattress, I would suggest sleeping in the net or at least apply bug spray before going to bed. Bathroom opens outside and does NOT have a door seperating the toliet from the main bedroom so things can get a little stinky.

Room Tip: Bungalow 1 has the best view and access to the beach, also feels more private as you can't see a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Beijing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel is well positioned on long beach and has a good potential. Rooms are basic but overall nice. The decor (both outside and inside) could be improved quite easily with some paint and nice furniture. The same also applies to the beach are: it is nice and pleasant (not at all crowded as other resorts) but it could be much better with a touch of style.

Overall it is a good option for budget travellers and the price/quality ratio is among the best ones on long beach.

cardiff
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Of the places we stayed on our honeymoon for 3 weeks, I would say this was my least favourite.

It did have plenty of good things-
The gardens were nice with friendly hens clucking around.
It was right by the beach where there was plenty of space to hang out.
There was a restaurant on site (only used it for breakfast which was ok)
It had a great big safe.

Overall it was fairly basic with no tv or aircon etc which was fine, but price a bit on the high side really. The garden bungalows don't have much of a view, at least ours had no view and was near the car park/entrance. It did have a fan which worked quite well although still a bit sweaty, but hey it's Vietnam after all.

Maybe it was due to lack of the English language, but I didn't find the staff warm or welcoming. There were very few smiles to be had. You could say fair enough if they are busy, but so was everywhere else we stayed, where there was plenty of warmth & hospitality. Maybe they just hate their job.

I would only go back if a seaview bungalow was available which looked nicer and obviously had better views

Room Tip: Seaview front line
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

First impressions of the resort as you drive in are great as the gardens are really beautiful. (we were also provided with airport pickup free of charge) However the rooms are disappointing. We visited the week before the lunar new year and feel that at $45 per night we overpaid for such a basic room. We didn't get an open air bathroom as some other reviewers have described and the shower pressure was very weak. It was clean enough but the room could do with some improvements. There is no wardrobe or place to put your clothes so we had to make so with unpacking a storing on top of the table.
The staff were generally friendly and the receptionist Anh was very helpful. We rented a scooter for a couple of days to see the island and also booked a snorkeling trip. The trip was enjoyable, and I'd recommend but don't expect amazing visibility or marine life - it's no comparison to Thailand.
We only ate at the restaurant for lunch once and it was ok. The breakfast was good - fresh fruit, pancakes, eggs, plus an array of other random dishes. Although the garden is lovely, it seemed a shame that it wasn't located overlooking the beach like many of the other resorts.
The beach area is fantastic - sun loungers are provided under wooden shades. The sand is great and the water very clear.
Had a very enjoyable stay but just feel that we overpaid for such a basic room.

Pescara
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed in this resort in Jan 2013 for 5 nights. Over- all it is a nice resort directly on the beach, bungalows are located between palm trees and big garden, 20-30 min walking from night fish market which you should not miss. Our bungalow was with an open air bathroom, a dbl bad with mosquito’s net, clean but the room it self is very basic, you even do not have any wardrobe to put your closes and need to keep everything in your language during the complete stay.
Breakfast was good, they have wonderful home made yogurt. What probably needs to be improved is the staff of the hotel, specially at the reception They simply do not care about you or to make you feel welcome. . I saw that other guests/other reviews had the same feeling which is pity for the resort. I hope management will consider that and will try to improve.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Monroe, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Although over-all I enjoyed my stay at the resort, it was because of the location on the beach and the quality of the rooms. The hotel staff left me with a bad taste in my mouth however and was a big negative. they made absolutely no effort to make me feel welcome, respond to my needs, or make me feel like a valued guest. Although the resort was nearly empty when I was there, I had to ask multiple times to receive any kind of service. All of which was reluctantly given and done so with a frown and with rudeness. For example, the wi-fi internet was not working during my stay and although I asked multiple times over a few days, it was not fixed and the staff clearly seemed to just not care. I waited numerous hours every day for my room to be cleaned after requesting it to be and again the first time I asked that it be cleaned soon. The included breakfast was served promptly, but was either burnt or barely-cooked (worrisome with eggs). My overall impression was that the staff couldn't have cared less that I was there and their actions and callous attitude certainly made this clear to me. All of this aside however I did the quality of the room, but it was the dreadful performance of the staff made me very unsatisfied. The resort's rooms and grounds are beautiful, the beach included, and I liked the unique design features of the rooms. (open-air shower). I don't think I would have appreciated that there was no separation between the bathroom/shower and guest-room (no door or curtain, its completely open) if I was not staying by myself however. No A/C/ did make the room a little stuffy and uncomfortable at times, however. Overall I was satisfied with the room, it was the service -the complete lack -that was annoying.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We were due to go to Hanoi but the weather was cold there and after several days rain and cold weather in Hoi An and Hue we decided to divert to the sun. Accomodation on the island was in relative short supply at short notice but we booked 5 nights here the day before we arrived based on feedback on tripadvisor. We were not dissappointed.

Accomodation - we were in bungalow 20 which looked through the palm trees to the beach. It had a large double and large single, mosquito nets (although did not really need them as only saw one mosi, an amazing safe (straight out of an old bank), wardrobe, very cold fridge and all the normal bathroom freebies like shampoo etc. Indoor bathroom (with great shower with as much hot water as you could ever need) which had door that opened out onto outside shower area with cool water - great to get the salt off after a swim. Balcony at the front with hammock and table and chairs. Ceiling and floor fans (no air con but not a problem as the fan on low overnight kept us cool). Everything we could need really.

Food - Breakfasts were probably the best we had in Vietnam - different choice of hot Vietnamese and western food each morning, as well as plenty of different fruits, tea/coffee (with cows milk option!!), juices and the choice of freshly cooked crepes, eggs, omlettes and of course bread. Nice to be able to sit out on the veranda for breakfast too.

Staff - in restaurant were helpful and good cooked great pancakes (banana / lime & sugar) as well as eggs and omelettes to order. Tried all whilst we were there and could not fault them. Reception staff were also helpful and spoke excellent English - guiding us where to go around the island. We also rented a bike (which was full of fuel) for $7 a day.

Situation - lovely beach, plenty of sun beds and within easy walk of places along the beach for lunch/dinner. Well placed as also near to restaurants on the road into town or the night market. By bike about 4 mins into town. The new airport (which is great) opened in December 2012 and although the hotel is only 15 mins away by car you do not hear the planes at all.

All in all we had a lovely relaxing time here and would certainly return here if we ever return to Phu Quoc - we were quiet sad to leave.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be well sites. Choice is do you want to overlook a garden (where the bungalows ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Thanh Kieu Coco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!