“Friendly affordable place to escape the heat!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A74 Hotel

You added A74 Hotel to your Saves list
A74 Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   74 Tran Hung Dao | Phu Quoc Island, Duong Dong, Phu Quoc Island KP7, Vietnam   |
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Duong Dong
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Friendly affordable place to escape the heat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Does what it says on the tin, AC worked a treat, a less than two min walk to the beach through another resort, helped organise our boat and bus out of Vietnam, however put the wrong destination on the receipt, easily resolved. Good laundry service. If you're not a fan of rats (who is?!) don't spend too long sitting at the bar out front, the two hour happy hour would be long enough!
Over all, cheapest place in phu quoc, the island itself is much more expensive than mainland.
Definitely go to star beach for a day trip you can too, lovely!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wonderful hotel with the nicest manager in the world, Bao. Some of the friendliest staff anywhere, the housecleaners were diligent. Hotel was in a great location not far from the beach and closer to town than any of the other Long Beach hotels. If you want to stay on Long Beach you will often be far from town and will have to take a cab which can add up. Hotel next door that you must pass through to go to beach never questioned us in the 11 days that we stayed at this hotel. The room had good wifi, as well as a tv with some western stations. The AC works wonderfully and the breakfast is quite good. The portions aren't huge but for an included breakfast we were very happy, we enjoyed the omelette the most. Some of the other reviews here on Tripadvisor are strange to me. For one, every single budget hotel I have stayed in in the month we had been in Vietnam had mold in them, and the mold here wasn't bad or smelly whatsoever. It looked as if someone had scrubbed it clean. Also, they advertise themselves correctly stating that they are not directly on the beach and we knew there was not really hot water. Is was so flipping hot when we were in Phu Quoc I did not even notice. We hunted around the day we arrived because there seemed to be construction happening next door and were afraid it would bother us, but we couldn't find anything for the same price or great location so we decided to stay. We were glad we did and the construction didn't end up bothering us at all. This is a budget hotel, people! If you want something perfect, stay at an expensive hotel, better yet, don't visit Vietnam at all. And on another note, Phu Quoc is more expensive than other parts of Vietnam so don't think the price is high, its not, and especially not with AC included.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at A74 Hotel for 5 nights while in Phu Quoc. The staff was friendly, especially the main desk man Bao, who spoke great English. He was very helpful and always gave us the honest truth about the value of things we wanted to do during our stay so that we didnt get ripped off. He always told us about great restaurants and bars and even rented us a scooter for the day for 150,000 vnd.
The rooms were always clean and well stocked. The bed was not the most comfortable, but for the price you cant expect luxury. There was lots of hot water and the air-con worked great always.
Breakfast here was included and quite delicious!!
The only downside was that it was not located directly on the beach, so you had to walk through other resorts to get down to the beach and somedays the guards wouldnt let us through so we would have to search for another way down. Other than that, no complaints at all!!
Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and would not hesitate to stay there again!
Well worth it! :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Although my title is perhaps somewhat negative, A74 has a loveable charm and I thoroughly enjoyed my time here and would return here again. In addition, having searched the island for cheap accomodation I believe this is the best value hotel you will find.

The hotel is in some respects a little 'tired' and needs some renovation. For example whilst the room was spacious and comfortable there were obviously faults; mould creeping up the window, door into the bathroom didn't close, TV didn't show a clear picture, AC took a long time to cool down the room, bathroom window didn't close properly letting in ants and lizards and the bathroom, decor looked like it had stepped out from austin powers and cracks in tiling. Given the number of hotels now popping up all over Phu Quoc the quality/quantity of competition is increasing, and thus A74 should invest some resources into bringing the hotel up to standard. Most aspects should all be simple to improve upon so with little work this hotel could be a gem!

The location was perfect, a 2 minute walk to the beach, good sunset views (especially with the rooftop terrace to watch the sunset) and a 10 minute walk to the night market in the town. Hotel is surrounded by some very expensive hotels/resorts and thus has numerous restaurants to choose from, spas to use and if you are sneeky you can quite easily get away with using the resort swimming pools!

What made my stay here shine was the amazing receptionist, he was absolutely lovely, as were the rest of the staff. This guy imparticular though spoke very good English and made every trouble he could to ensure that my stay was a happy one including giving me a very good deal on the room. I felt very looked after and will remember him as perhaps the nicest person I encountered in Vietnam.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
melbourne - AUS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel. The staff are great, friendly and willing to help even if language is a barrier. The room we stayed in was huge, yes there is mould on the walls but it wont hurt you if you don't hurt it.
The beds are pretty hard and I woke up a couple of nights with pins and needles, there is no hot water (no huge problem but hurts if you want to shave) and the water is gravity fed. On one day, gravity stopped working and I had no water. Not nice when you work up a sweat.
Breakfast is basic, the location is close to food and a 15 minute walk to the main town.
The hotel needs a lot of work to remain competitive, especially when the construction of other hotels finishes. The bath drained so slowly that when I took a shower, I was standing in a few cm of water - again. not nice.
The beach is close.

What I really didn't like was when you left your room and removed the key from the power thing in the wall ALL electricity items turned off INCLUDING the fridge. Coming back to the room to a warm water in a warm fridge isn't nice. If this could be changed, it would be great.
For $30 I have stayed in a hotel in Cambodia that is superior in every way, so it can be done.
If I were to return to Phu Quoc Island, I wouldn't stay here. 3/5 is being generous.
If you want a room that keeps the rain off your head and and softer than the floor bed and don't care too much about the rest, then this would be an option for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I agree with what many reviewers have written: the rooms are very moldy. The smell was awful, and there was no window in our room, so we couldn't get any fresh air in. As soon as we turned the aircon off, the smell got unbearable. BUT I do feel that this hotel was a good value for money. We checked out a lot of hotels before booking this one, and we got the impression that you either had to book an expensive luxury hotel, or an expensive bungalow that wasn't up to standards. I'd say the A74 is the only middle-of-the-road hotel. It's not too expensive, the location is excellent, the staff is friendly, and the breakfast is good.
I absolutely LOVED Phu Quoc and wouldn't hesitate to stay at the A74 hotel should I ever return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I decided to visit Phu Quoc in the mistaken belief that it was "undiscovered" - I was about five years too late - and searched TA for a hotel that would fit my requirements - cheap but not primitive and near the beach. A-74 seemed to fit the bill. I made my reservation on line from Cambodia and after some initial problems with Paypal - it is required that you pay the first night before your reservation is accepted - which were solved by the super friendly Vietnamese staff - I made my reservation for four nights. Arriving from Ha Tien on the hydrofoil - and be prepared to walk half a mile from where the boat docks to "land" if you choose this mode of transport - I was dropped off at the hotel by my pre-arranged taxi.

My room was on the first floor - it was small but adequate for my purposes. I was going to use it to sleep and that's all. After one of the staff was kind enough to drive in to town and purchase a local SIM card for my mobile my next query was "Where's the beach" and I received exact instructions from Graeme, one of the owners. Out the door, walk 10 meters and hang a left. Walking through a neighboring resort I noted the numbers of some of the cottages and arrived Long Beach which, as promised, was l-o-n-g. There were lots of comfy sun chairs and when I went over to pick up a cushion the "guard" asked me for a room number which I happily supplied having noted same previously. The A-74 DOESN'T have a deal there but all the guards want is a number. This routine was followed for the next few days. The beach was gorgeous, just the right number of hawkers of fruit, water was calm. Lots of Russians and Scandinavians.

For dinner I walked the 10-12 minutes down to the night market and was presented with an array of 10-20 seafood stalls all of whom REALLY wanted my custom. I chose the one with the cutest staff and feasted on a freshly caught one kilo red fish which was barbecued. That and a good Vietnamese beer set me back all of the equivalent of five bucks US. I ate there every night except one when I took Graeme's advice and ate at a place about two minutes walk away on the other side of the road. For an idea of the number of fishing vessels working the local waters walk up to the hotel's open air top floor at night and have a gander. I thought there was another town out in the water - there are hundreds of lights out on the water.
After dinner the hotel screens a movie every night.

The staff suggested that I take the day tour for US 17 and so I did. A nice snorkel tour - snorkelling wasn't THAT great, but OK - lunch, visit to a pearl tourist trap which was actually quite fun and visit to a beach were all included. Good way to kill a day and to see a bit more of this rather large island.

All in all a great stay. Would certainly come back but doubt I will as the new airport will be completed, so they say, at the end of 2012 thus heralding the arrival of mass tourism and the transformation of Phu Quoc to a new Koh Samui.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Thanh Kieu Coco Beach Resort
Thanh Kieu Coco Beach Resort
#13 of 18 in Duong Dong
3.5 of 5 stars 273 reviews

Been to A74 Hotel? Share your experiences!