“Yhe middle range resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paris Beach Phu Quoc

You added Paris Beach Phu Quoc to your Saves list
Paris Beach Phu Quoc
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cau Ba Phong, Cua lap, Duong To, Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Duong To
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Yhe middle range resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The resort was recommended by our friends. Because I know them I was surprised by the resort: small territory with very dense cottages location. There are cottages with terrace but because too compact location we didn't have privacy there. Actually, using the terrace was impossible because the puddle after rain.
Reception is located in the restaurant area (it is one small counter) and the check-in process took long time for us. The guys didn't say " Good bay!" to us at the check out - they were too busy by the breakfast preparing.
But I would like say about the resort owners:charming French couple. She smiled alway to us and asked about the service. The cuisine is good also. We ate there one time, but were enjoyed by the squid and fish.

Room Tip: If you will choose the resort I suggest to choose a bungalow B9 or behind it because better privacy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Vietnamese first
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Booked as per TA reviews and we were terrible disappointed having to spend 4 nights here.
On the plus side, the pool is very good, cleaned daily and was a pleasure to swim in, food at night was very tasty, breakfast was OK but had to ask the staff to restock the food each morning, omelettes were very good.
Minus side, the entry road to the resort is atrocious, potholed and rough, it rained on the last morning and the road was impossible to walk.
There is no gym as advertised, 1 old track runner, the place needs urgent maintenance, it is dirty although the cleaners do a good job on the rooms.
This is a budget resort but are charging 4 star rates.
I cannot recommend this resort.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
latonkinoise, consultant Paris Beach at Paris Beach Phu Quoc, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review and for the good positive evaluation, the pool, the breakfast and restaurant.
You have also found negative points.
Road: This is a real problem - especially during the rainy season and following the last storm - The road (200 m) concerns all other residents because it is not a private but a public road, the road crosses several properties -. The good new The People's Committee has decided to remake the road. We have to wait for favorable weather conditions. We hope they will start work as soon as possible.
Price: "Budget resort charging rates 4 stars" is an opinion that we categorically reject because our neighbor - that displays 4 Stars - load a bungalow by the sea over $ 400 a night - thank you to the comparison with the price very reasonable 60 USD /night (plus commission to the intermediary who arranged for you) for renting a luxury room 35 m2 beachfront with all the comfort and buffet breakfast included for 2 persons. !!!
CM Paris Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Excellent service. Everyone was so attentive and sweet. They keep the place very clean. Our room was amazing. It was room 105, second floor with cute little balcony right above the beach. We looked at 2 other rooms before which were perfectly fine. They were clean and cozy but my boyfriend wanted us to have the best, which it was!
The breakfast buffet was good,but get there early when everything is fresh and hot. The woman who made fresh eggs to order was so great! I wish I remembered her name. She made fresh eggs any way you like them. Great omelets!!! And banana crepes were so yummy!
The other staff members were wonderful too. I wish I remembered all their names!!!!!!! Christian, one of the owners was there during our stay. He was also attentive to our needs and wants. They all seem to genuinely care.
The pool is beautiful. Ping Pong table pretty warped but we still got a couple games in every morning after breakfast.
As far as location,it's a long walk to Cho Dem night market, about 40 min. We were glad we did it for a good workout walking on the beach. That was the first night. The rest of the trip,we rented a scooter for $8 US a day and went EVERYWHERE on that thing! Best way to travel. We used the map they gave us and went to most of the attractions listed on it.
The resort is away from all the action in town, but we liked that. The only negative thing for me,honestly, and I need to mention it...there was a French bulldog there that needed some special attention. Supposedly, he is only 2 years old, but he looked like he was 8. I know the breed has many genetic problems but simple things like a good ear cleaning every couple days, a grain free diet(meaning stay away from noodles and bread too), and added flaxseed or fish oil daily will improve his health dramatically. I'm sorry for going off on this but I have a boxer who also needs special care. If I didn't do the things I do for her, she would suffer from some of the same ailments.
I really loved staying at this resort and I fell in love with the dogs there. I would most definitely stay here again!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Hello!! We are a group of 3 french Canadian, who stays there in the low sesson!
We have been treated like queen from the staff and the lovely owner of the place.
Our room, was big and clean! We enjoyed the fact that their was a mini-fridge. We also had am amazing dinner, we order the night before and on the same day they are going to buy fresh fish at the market!!! Yummmy you have to try the little fish salade appitizer (serves in fresh spring roll).

The pool is very Nice, and so as the sunbathing area.
Well overall, a big thank you to Ha and Christian for the lovely stay!
Ariane, Audree & Josiane

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Gateshead, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We booked up well in advance of our stay and originally took a standard room. When we arrived we were met by Ha, the owner, who was charming and we were immediately advised we had been upgraded to a bungalow. This was great and the rooms proved to be excellent also. Very clean and spacious and a very comfy bed. We stayed three nights and spent two nights at the resort where we had meals. These were superb, very tasty and well worth staying in for. The staff were very attentive but we did have a bit of trouble being understood. It seems the staff speak limited English with only really Lin being able to fully communicate. He was excellent. Ken tried her best and was delightful with it but one or two of the others could do with some customer training. Breakfast was fine, fairly simple but plenty of it and tasty, though it's the little things that you remember. For example we were only allowed one small butter sachet. We could pay for another one but this seemed so small in the scheme of things yet it became a bit of an issue. It shouldn't because we had a great time at Paris Beach, spent a fair bit of money there, but were being charged for something as small as a sachet of butter. Sorry but this just didn't seem right. The resort as a whole is wonderful. They have a relatively new pool which is in superb condition and plenty of lilos and umbrellas in a great spot set back from the sea front, but it didn't really need this. Other people on TA have mentioned there isn't a beach but this is simply not true. In fact is has a perfect sized beach of golden sand which slips slowly and gently into the very warm sea after only a few metres. It is exactly how I like my beaches up close and personal. So please do not feel this beach is inadequate. It is excellent. And to sit on an evening and watch the sun set is a superb experience. To be able to wash down a few beers while you chill is perfect. Location wise, in terms of the island, I think Paris Beach is spot on. Far enough away from Duong Dong to mean it is extremely peaceful yet close enough to the town for a short and cheap taxi ride. It is also close to the airport and is set back from the road to lessen any vehicle noise, not that there are a great number of cars on the island. All in all we had a great time here but it is the one or two issues that stick in the mind. They need to sort out what is included and what isn't at breakfast and make this clear and they really could do with some more English speaking staff. Phu Quoc is about to take off in terms of a world holiday destination and more English speaking customers will require more English speaking staff.

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow they are extremely spacious
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that that overall I liked this hotel but there were probably a few too many issues I experienced during my 3 nights there that detracted from my overall stay.

Firstly, my original room was right near the entrance gate and directly next to the security "house". On my first night my sleep was disturbed by conversations of the security, the motorbikes entering and exiting and then people arriving. There was one particular Australian couple who were extremely loud and kept me awake for about 20mins.

The next day I complained at reception about this - I'd come to the hotel to relax and catch up on my sleep - and to their credit they swiftly changed my room to a new one near the gardens which was much quieter although not as new as the original room! This room was fine except that the pathway behind it and near the pool was being retiled so I was being woken up my tiles being broken and laid - this wasn't a huge problem but still a bit irritating! On the plus side I was up early for breakfast and sunbathing so it worked out well.

Overall I found the rooms to be very adequate - they are clean and well looked after but maybe need some updating!

The food at the hotel was good, I had some great seafood noodles (twice!) and other bits and bobs - their doughnuts are so tasty! Breakfast was a little monotonous although the selection was quite wide - I stuck mainly to the pancakes and coffee which were great.

The service in the restaurant can be a little slow but the staff are pleasant enough. Most of the staff don't speak English fluently but I didn't find that to be a massive problem - I only had one occasion where I was brought the wrong food but they rectified that quite quickly. The staff in general are really lovely though, Mrs Ha is really sweet and accommodating!

There are other places to eat on the beach but nothing is so amazing that it was worth leaving the hotel for. If you prefer variety in restaurant, I would recommend that you stay more in the centre where there are lots of different places but the food at PBR is good enough that you don't need to leave.

My favourite bit of the hotel was the pool, it's so beautiful and new - it was great to sit by all day and relax. I hope that in future the rest of the resort gets an upgrade just like it - then it really would be stunning, I also think they're missing a trick by not having a spa onsite, I would have had one every day had there been! Oh and the dogs and cats! The little bulldog/pug (not sure which he is) is the funniest little thing, I wanted to take him home with me!

Overall this hotel is great, I think I just had quite a few things all happen in a short period of time but sometimes these things happen. It's not the best hotel I've ever stayed at but it's lovely enough and not expensive - perfect for a chilled stay on Phu Quoc.

• Stayed April 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

It was an OK place to stay, certainly didn't down grade the holiday, just don't expect it to be fantastically outstanding either.

The room was clean, bathroom tiny, staff friendly enough. Food good, had a vast range on their menu and we had a couple of meals at the resort. Our room came with breakfast, it was a set menu of which you could select from 4 choices.

The staff relatively attentive, being the low season en all. They were all friendly.

We booked a family room which was by the restaurant, the room was OK it had a tiny little window and we had no area around our room to sit outside, as was the case with all the other rooms. Being by the restaurant there was no privacy; a little disappointing.

The resort is built on the beach = no beach to relax on, the pool was a life saver.

Town was 5 minutes by taxi, you need the resort to call one for you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
latonkinoise, consultant Paris Beach at Paris Beach Phu Quoc, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your “late !!!” comment, and of course, since your stay in October, we continued to improve our resort and improved bathroom in each bungalow.

We want to add some details:

First, about the terrace of your bungalow- As you know, Paris Beach Resort as many hotels offer several categories of rooms and prices - even if the service is the same for all. You have chosen the economic midrange formula (bungalow -without terrace - with two beds, air conditioning, fan, minibar, cable TV , wifi and breakfast included). You rented during the “low season period”, and you could request an upgrade and enjoy a superior bungalow with terrace. We would certainly have been sensitive to your request.

Then about the front beach situation - The hotel was not built on the beach. This is not the true. Unfortunately, in recent years, global warming and climate change, and also the theft of sand on a large scale, has radically changed the situation. With 25 meters or more - beach length in 2008, as shown in the cadastral register - we were not worried. Alas, a new and fast - change forced us to build a dam - terrace during the dry season - to protect us from storms and erosion. If the track has actually decreased in recent years, the sand returns during the dry season from November to May. The phenomenon is more random during the rainy season with rough sea, sometimes.

Been to Paris Beach Phu Quoc? Share your experiences!