“Best Ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Porters
Newmarket
“Best Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have stayed at hotels all over the world. The hotel was lovely, on the beach, and the staff team made my family and me feel so special throughout our stay. This is a truly wonderful hotel because of their people. We will book again next year!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

RoyalPavilionHotel, General Manager at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you very much Douglas D! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and are pleased that you had an outstanding stay.

Our team is our greatest asset and we are grateful that you recognized them in your review. We are glad that that you had the chance to get to know them.

Adam Knight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Tarrytown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Royal Pavilion is exactly how they made me feel...like Royalty. I traveled alone and stayed 10 days in July at the Royal Pavilion. Needing some desperate R&R from a growing NYC company, Barbados was just the place to de-stress and relax.

From my first contact while planning my trip Tawanda Thompson was a godsend. Traveling by myself and crunched for time, Tawanda really helped me plan my stay, I was provided a list of possible activities and places to go and do prior to the trip. My entire experience was amazing. As a business owner and CFO, attention to detail and getting things right the first time are words we live by. The staff at the concierge desk: Tawanda, Charlene, Samantha, Diedranna, and Shamara were all top notch. As I mentioned to Tawanda, if you have a tag line, it should be, “The Fairmont Royal Pavilion, where the kindness never stops.”

The rooms were great, I got a great deal through American Express 4 and 8 night were free as well when I joined the Fairmont Presidents Club I received a $100 food credit and breakfast buffet free. The breakfast buffet was amazing, and didn't really need to eat until dinner. The food was plentiful and really good. I'm vegetarian and I don't eat eggs so having fresh fruit, oatmeal, yogurt was great for me. For you happy carnivores out there, plenty for you. It is a proper English breakfast but if you are an American you'll find plenty of your favorites too. It's about $35 a plate so if you get get a deal do it.

Also with the Amex deal I was supposed to get an upgrade to a suite, they did not have one upon arrival, but I'm glad they didn't my room was perfect on the 3rd floor and all rooms are ocean view, the suites are on the 1st level so all you do is hop over a wall and you are on the beach. But my room on the third floor had a wonderful porch with table chairs and lounge chairs, perfect for a morning meditation and listening to the waves 20 feet in front of me. On the last day I was even able to throw one of my new friends a bottle of sun screen to them on the beach. Sunsets in front of the room, and I even saw a full moon on the water in the middle of the night, it was magical.

I happened to be staying during my birthday, I didn't tell the hotel but somehow they found out about it and Tawanda personally bought a birthday cake to my room, it was a wonderful gesture and made my day. From the moment I stepped foot on the property, David greeted me warmly and made me feel welcome right away. At meal times, Crystal and Joyce always found a nice seat for me and were really great. George, Earl, and Joseph also were really great and we had a nice chat several times. Big Kevin helped me with my IT issues to make sure I could be connected on the property. The wifi is ok, not great but good enough for me to get some work done via gotomypc. The woman who cleaned my room, I did not catch her name, so i just called her Mama (who else would clean up after me?), she was wonderful too. Her shoulder was hurting one day so I was happy I could share some Advil and Tiger Balm (ointment for pain relief) to help her out so we became buddies.

Charlene at the concierge desk was really amazing too, when I was on property she helped me out with so many areas of my trip and introduced me to a great couple from Manchester and we spend a good amount of time together and we have become good friends. Charlene stopped whatever she was doing to help me and was just so very nice and pleasant. I decided to tease her a bit when she told me she was going on Holiday to Jamaica and I said to her, “Oh really? I was going to propose to you tomorrow, I had the ring and a Jet and everything. Oh well, that’s too bad.” Her face was priceless, she didn’t know if I was serious or kidding, it was really funny and she was a good sport about my joking.

Also, I cannot forget the boys working the towels they were great. Always smiling and pleasant. I loved being able to leave my sandals at the steps and pick them up later, it took me a day or two to stop worrying that they would be stolen (I am from NY after all ). One night I left my sandals at the North Exit and was out at Ju-Ju’s Beach Bar and Cafe right next to the hotel (the owner Johanna is awesome, great food and fun people) until quite late, I thought my sandals would be gone. But one of the boys put my sandals with the other furniture on a shelf and I was able to retrieve them.

I practiced with the Bajan Judo team the Sensai there Ian Weathers is amazing, I was warmly welcomed and helped train with some of the athletes going to the Commonwealth games. They open the wide doors to the huge dojo and fresh air blows in. Hot and humid but incredible dojo and wonderful to train at. Ian is amazing and his students are really friendly.

Went horseback riding on the eastern coast rocky and wild, recommend doing that as well.

The last time I was in Barbados I stayed at Sandy Lane, I also visited them for lunch this time around. At Sandy Lane I felt the staff was really good, and friendly, but at the Royal Pavilion I felt that people were kind and friendly not because they had to be, but because that is just the way they are. Everything felt more natural and like I said to Diedranna, “Sandy Lane is very nice, but the Royal Pavilion is Home.”

Totally recommend it, I almost never stay at the same hotel twice but I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get the third floor, great views and no one on top of you. All rooms have ocean view, which...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you very much JudoCJ! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

We love hearing that “were kind and friendly not because they had to be, but because that is just the way they are.” Our team impresses us each and every day and we are so happy when other people take a moment and share their compliments. The team could not be more worthy of them.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit,

Haslingden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Picked up at the airport ,with an old fashioned meet and greet ,avoided the queues and whisked to the Hotel.Even check in was luxury ! .No standing at a desk ,sat in comfort where I was brought my first Banks beer whilst we filled in the normal detail.Then taken to our beachside room where it all wa a bit too much ,Mrs P and were straight in the sea for a spot of skinny dipping ! (luckily for the other residents it was now dark ) .Nothing was rushed and the service was very polite and not in your face.perfect.

Room Tip: Push the boat out and opt for a room that leads straight onto the beach.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you kindly Dave P! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and are glad that you had such a wonderful experience. We're thrilled to hear that your stay was "perfect" - that is quite a compliment!

Your tips will prove invaluable to future travelers and we are grateful that you shared them. We value your recommendation and thank you again for leaving a review,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The staff greet you like a family member or an old friend and go out of their way to make you happy - on my birthday, there was a birthday card signed by the staff and a bottle of wine, numerous members staff wished me a happy birthday when they saw me on the day and the weekly Manager's cocktail party fell on my birthday and when we arrived back late from our day out, they sent us four extra glasses of champagne! Nothing was too much trouble and when our flight home was cancelled, they offered to upgrade us, but we were happy just to stay in the same room with a late check out! Free activities - Swimming with the turtles with Ryan the Lifeguard who was reassuring and attentive to a poor swimmer and walking around the gardens with the knowledgable Winslow the Gardener are treats not to be missed! Palms restaurant sunsets at the waterside with delicious food and classical music are unforgettable - I want to go back! Dee Soko

Room Tip: Choose on the beach ground floor room with your own terrace seaview, jump over the wall ane you'...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
RoyalPavilionHotel, General Manager at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you very much Denise S and Happy Birthday! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and are pleased that you not only had a outstanding stay but that you want to come back. That is quite a compliment!

Our team is our greatest asset and we are grateful that you recognized them in your review. Ryan and Winslow are incredible and we are glad that you had the chance to get to know them. We’re also glad you enjoyed all the hotel has to offer!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We have just returned from a two week holiday at the Royal Pavilion . What a great place for a holiday. Lovely beach ,pool, bedroom, restaurants but the secret of it success is it's amazing staff . They really work as a team. From the minute we walked through the doors , we were treated wonderfully. We could not fault anyone within the team. Some comments on trip advisor mention that the hotel is a bit tired. It may be , but actually , there are so many positives that any negatives are cancelled out . Thanks you to everyone at the RP for making our stay so special.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you kindly Janebredin! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Reviews like yours are invaluable to future travelers and we couldn’t be more grateful.

Your compliments toward our team are much appreciated. We agree one hundred percent!

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We hope to welcome you back in the future,

Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We keep coming back so they must be doing something right! Another great stay seeing many of the staff who have become friends over the years but also spending time with friends who also make a point of returning each year at the same time.
The hotel and its staff are special and it's like having a second home abroad without all the added expense that goes with that.
If you want a 5 star hotel where everything runs to clockwork, the rooms are immaculate and you are treated like royalty don't go to the Pavilion.
If you want something special, memories are important and you find it difficult to leave, then try it.
A special mention to Jamal who made our stay even more special this year

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
RoyalPavilionHotel, Manager at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Beachbumsalso,

Thank you for coming back and taking time to write a review about your recent trip. Jamal is indeed a great staff and your kind words about him will definitely be a great motivator.

It was a pleasure having you at the Fairmont Royal Pavilion and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Kulbhushan Tyagi
Director of Operations/F&B
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Fabulous hotel and location. Can't rate highly enough.

But ..... before people start writing, up in arms, re the review of blonde Canadian Christine (below) - she DIDN'T eat dolphin! 'Dolphin' is just a local name for the fish known as Mahi-Mahi !

Room Tip: Ground floor, beachfront, is great.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
RoyalPavilionHotel, Manager at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Barbadosbelle1,

Thank you for your kind comments and we are glad to see that our guests are reading the reviews with keen interest.

We look forward to see you back soon again and in the meantime if I could be of any assistance, please let me know.

Kulbhushan Tyagi
Director of Operations/F&B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porters
Colony Club
Hilton Barbados Resort
Hilton Barbados Resort
#3 of 8 in Saint Michael Parish
4.0 of 5 stars 2,166 reviews

Been to Fairmont Royal Pavilion? Share your experiences!