“One of my all time favourite hotels” 5 of 5 stars

Fairmont Royal Pavilion
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   St. James, Porters BB24051 , Barbados   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Porters
London, United Kingdom
“One of my all time favourite hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in March 2013, following a 4 night stint on the South Coast. When booking the hotel, I did wonder if it was good enough to warrant such high room rates, but decided to go for it based on the many excellent reviews. I have to say that within 15 minutes of arriving at the hotel, I fully understood why they charge as much as they do! The pictures on the website really don’t do the place justice.

Check in was efficient and we were offered a welcome drink of our choice. The hotel is largely open air, the reception is housed in a small building, and you then follow an outdoor path to get to the rooms. As a small hotel (only 75 rooms), the layout is fairly simple, there are 2 separate buildings which each have 3 floors. We were on the top floor in the building furthest away from reception. Upon entering the room, we were very impressed. It was very spacious and had a real luxurious feel to it. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever been on! The balcony was large and contained two loungers as well as two normal chairs. All rooms face the ocean, which is just a few metres away from the hotel buildings. You are able to watch the sunset from the room, and we were lucky to witness a spectacular sunset on our first day. There were a few small touches in the room which I liked, such as a cordless phone and a remote control for the air conditioning unit. The bathroom was well appointed and stocked up with Rose 31 toiletries. Shortly after checking in, a bottle of complimentary Piper Heidsieck champagne was delivered to the room, and I noted that the hotel normally sells this for US$120.

During our stay we had three breakfasts and three lunches at the hotel (we had dinners elsewhere). I didn’t expect too much from the breakfast buffet, given that it is a fairly small hotel, but the spread on offer was impressive. The normal buffet was available, plus there was a large selection of a la carte items that could be ordered as well. I was quite pleased with the selection of fruits at the buffet, some of which you wouldn’t normally find at breakfast buffets (e.g. blueberries, strawberries). Note that some items on the breakfast menu incur an extra charge, namely smoothies and speciality coffees.

Lunch is served in the same place as breakfast (Cafe Taboras), and consists of a fairly standard hotel lunch menu (burgers, pizza, salads, etc). The food was quite nice, without being particularly memorable. The hotel does serve an amazing rum punch, probably the best I had on the island! On Sunday, a BBQ buffet lunch is served, and the restaurant became fairly full on this occasion (as non-residents are allowed in as well). In this case, the spread was a bit smaller than I imagined, although they did include the items you most want to see at a BBQ (steak, king prawns and ribs). One complaint I have is that the hotel does not allow kids under the age of 16 during a few months of the year (including when we were there). However, non-resident kids were allowed in for the buffet, and while lying at the pool after lunch (which is adjacent to the restaurant), there were a couple of kids making a fair amount of commotion and disturbing the peace!

The loungers at the pool and beach areas are quite comfortable, and there is a little stall near the pool where you would meet a towel attendant who could set up your chairs for you. Towels are available in abundance if you so desired. The pool area was very serene and felt quite tropical with large palm trees in the background. It is a standard rectangular shaped pool, but it is the right size for the property. We never had any issues finding loungers by the pool, but it was sometimes a bit trickier at the beach. Service at the pool/beach could have been better. A member of staff would occasionally go around taking drinks orders, but apart from this there was not much of a staff presence in the area. What was nice was there would be a couple of freebies handed out during the day, such as cold towels, ice lollies or mini smoothies. The beach was very calm (as can be expected on the west coast) on our first day and we enjoyed time spent here. However, the next day the sea was noticeably rougher and we were informed that there was a sea swell in place that would persist for the rest of our stay. They had put up red flags on the beach (meaning swimming isn’t recommended), but some guests were not deterred by this. This was not much of a big deal for us, as we generally prefer the pool area in any case. The rougher waters were also noticeable at night when trying to sleep, as the sound of the waves was more audible than I would have liked them to be when lying in bed.

Service was generally excellent throughout the hotel, and we encountered many friendly members of staff. In particular, I would like to mention the ladies at the concierge (Tawanda and Charlene) who were very pleasant to deal with. We had a guaranteed late check-out of 4pm (as part of a deal booked through Amex), but with an 8pm departure flight I wanted to push this to around 6pm. Initially we were told this was not possible, but they were able to offer us a hospitality room for a 30 minute slot where we could take a quick shower. However, later on they agreed to a 5:30pm check out time at no extra charge, which was much appreciated. Even after checking out, we were offered a complimentary drink while waiting for our taxi, which was another nice touch.

One thing that was odd was the lack of a spa at the hotel. In room massages are available, but at a hotel of this calibre I would have expected to see a full spa. We ended up visiting the spa at Sandy Lane, which was just unbelievable!

Keep in mind that the West Coast of Barbados is an expensive place in general, and I was a bit bothered by certain things, like the hotel charging US$9 for a bottle of water, which turned out to be only 1 litre in size. Taxis available at the hotel were also surprisingly expensive, charging around US$15 for a less than 5 minute journey to Holetown. We first thought this was because they were premium vehicles (BMWs), but we then found that return journeys in standard vehicles cost the same price. We were told by our independent tour guide that once you mention the Fairmont name, drivers would hike up their prices! It felt about twice as expensive as what we paid for taxi rides in the South Coast of the island. I suppose the local bus is a viable and much cheaper alternative, which in hindsight we should have given a try.

Overall, we had a truly amazing time at this resort, and only wished we had been able to stay for longer. I would definitely hope to return in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RoyalPavilionHotel, General Manager at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Ishan23:

We certainly appreciate being one of your all time favorite hotels! Thank you very much for taking the time to submit such a detailed response… I will make sure I review with my staff.

I am pleased to report since your visit we have continued to enhance our menu offerings for lunch and dinner. I think upon return you would find our lunch offerings have particularly increased, indeed we have become quite a popular lunch spot on the island. This said, I regret there were children disturbing the peace on Sunday, this is a management issue that our team has taken strong steps to control. Likewise, we have worked to improve our beach beverage service so we are consistent throughout the day.

I noted you mentioned some rough sea conditions. We are very lucky to be on the leeward side of the island which means we are calm most of the time however every now and then we have a degree of sea swell and waves. December through March is when we might see more swells than usual (as during your visit) however typically they do not last more than a day or two.

Thank you for mentioning Twanda and Charlene… They do a great job. I will let them know you mentioned them!

With so many great Spa’s on Barbados it is worth experiencing several including the Sandy Lane spa, which is extraordinary by any international standards. This said, we do currently offer our in-room Spa treatments which are amazing thanks to our rooms remarkable proximity to the beach and large porches (decks with the Jr. Suites). We are planning a Spa in the reasonably near future, please keep in touch on this!

Taxi rates on the West Coast of Barbados are on the high side and utilization of luxury vehicles makes these fares even more so. I will make sure our Doorman and Front Desk know to insure to review the various options with our guests, and we will also refresh the information in our guest rooms. One tip for some local adventure travel: For a quick trip our local bus system is really a lot of fun. I would not recommend on several other islands but here in Barbados, a bus ride it truly an authentically local and interesting experience.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you here again at The Fairmont Royal Pavilion soon.

528 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

From start to finish, our stay at the Fairmont Royal Pavilion was fantastic. We received a room upgrade upon arrival thanks to our booking through AmEx and everyone we dealt with was extremely friendly and helpful. The level of kindness from the entire staff was incredible -- they seemed to genuinely want us to feel comfortable and to enjoy ourselves. We honestly expected it to be a little bit stuffy but didn't experience that at all.

The photos of this hotel (even the ones posted by management) do NOT do it justice. It was beyond gorgeous! The grounds were fantastic and were incredibly well maintained and the beach is really beautiful. The seas were a bit rough when we were there, but this is very unusual for the West side of Barbados. As for the rooms, they were nice but not over-the-top fancy. No complaints here!

Don't forget to utilize the concierge services, especially if Charlene is working. She's got great connections to get last minute reservations and she is super sweet and bubbly. She was helpful for restaurant bookings as well as for insider tips for where to go on the island. Don't miss the East side of Barbados- you can't swim but it's absolutely stunning and worth the time it takes to drive there.

Everything is in place for the perfect trip at the Fairmont -- all you have to do is let yourself unwind.

Room Tip: Loved having the extra deck and easy beach access in the Junior Suite, but i'm sure every room h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tyland625:

Thank you for the great comments; it’s extraordinary to have a combination of great staff and fantastic location both in an amazing location: Barbados. This is a very special island with a lot to offer. We do our very best to offer true Bajan hospitality, I am pleased you had the opportunity to experience it!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent ten days here in November celebrating our honeymoon and we couldn't have found a better place.

This hotel is the closest to the water (and always will be as there are now new building rules but this hotel was grandfathered). The water was great, not too choppy and being able to swim with the turtles was amazing (and free). We really enjoyed all the restaurants, the food and service was amazing plus the complimentary afternoon tea was a nice touch.

I would highly recommend spending the extra money on the Junior Suites if you can, they were sold out so we couldn't but after seeing them in person we will most definitely make sure one is available next time.

Room Tip: Spend the money on the Junior Suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kalynn 12:

Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for trusting us for your Honeymoon. Your history is now part of ours, so you need to come back for your first anniversary!

We appreciate your kind comments and hope to see you back soon.

The Fairmont Royal Pavilion
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

my wife and I had a great experience at this hotel in Feb. Great beach, food was very good and service was wonderful. The location is close to Holetown which is a great place to shop duty free and see the local events.

Dear clh291:

Thank you for taking the time to post. Indeed, our location on the West Coast has always been excellent, we are close to Holetown but just far away enough to feel tranquil. Our beach is very spacious and relaxed however there is great shopping, restaurants, and attractions just 1-1/2 miles away.

If there is ever any way I may be of service please contact me at any time:

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was our 3rd trip the RPV in three years and we were not disappointed.  Same great location!  Fabulous suite.  Great beach!  Really nice pool!  Good food!  Best staff anywhere!!!  If you think we like the place you are wrong - we love it!  There have been numerous improvements and we learned there are still more on the way.  Will we go back?  We sure hope so???

Room Tip: All the rooms save the garden suites are right on the Caribean - what more could you want!
TIM M:

Thank you Tim! Our staff and managers have really been working to make The Fairmont Royal Pavilion be one of the best hotels of its kind in the Caribbean. As a repeat guest I particularly appreciate your comment as you have seen our improvement across time. As you mentioned, we have more planned so we look forward to your next visit!

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Here we are at Camp Grenada or at least the Fairmont Royal Pavillion. So on arrival after a nasty flight and catching a
cold on board we were a bit dissapointed
that the hotel was oldish and the rooms did not have the wow factor of, say, some in the Maldives. However by day three we got to realise how lovely the place is. The hotel is in one of the best positions on the island with great beaches. All rooms have super views of the ocean. Above all the genuine niceness of the staff and the service makes your stay great. You even get to realise the rooms are good design and the beds comfortable. Given the breakfasts and food is also excellent had we written this review after day one or two it would have been a case of, as Allen Sherman said 'Muddah Fadduh kindly disregard this letter'

• Stayed March 2013
Dear David 1309:

As a hotelier of a few years I have a particular fondness for that old Allan Sherman song… I think you pegged us right and I appreciate the comment. Yes we are not the Maldives, Seychelles or Mauritius but something very special in the resort world: I would not trade the spirit, good nature and character of the Bajan people for any other destination. Barbados and The Fairmont Royal Pavilion are regarded as a gem for those that know us, I am very glad you found is!

I will share your comment with my team, thanks!

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have been to Barbados many times, and on this occasion chose the Fairmont Royal Pavillion for it's stunning beach location and many excellent recent reviews. The room we had was a ground floor beach suite with our own sun deck just a step over to the beach and the warm blue ocean. All the amenities, clean and up to date.

From the moment we arrived, the staff greet you warmly and call you by your name. The service was simply surperb from the waiting staff, the chambermaids, the bar staff, the concierge, the doormen to the water sports team. The reason - the excellent management.

During the 9 nights we stayed there, the Manager was very visible around the property at most times of the day and evening. His morning management meeting was conducted in a corner by the pool, standing up! (could we all learn something here?)

Admittedly, we eat out most nights - Barbados and in particular the West coast has some terrific restaurants. The food in the hotel was good on the two nights we eat in.

For a hotel to enjoy a lovely r&r break, no children (this time of year) with such a fabulous ocean side room - then this is the place.

We will return!

Room Tip: They are all sea facing - the ground floor beach suites offer private sunbathing decking area.
Dear Tusters:

I am glad after your many visits to Barbados you have at last discovered us… Welcome to the family! Thank you for your kind comments and observations particularly as a seasoned Barbados visitor.

Barbados is an excellent island for restaurants (we are the only island in the Caribbean with a Zagat Guide) and absolutely there are many that should not be missed. This said, our Culinary team has done a great job developing our menu selections at both our Taboras and Palm Terrace restaurant: I am glad you enjoyed your meals with us!

Please let me know if I can be of service in any way.

Wayne R. Kafcsak

Been to Fairmont Royal Pavilion? Share your experiences!