We have just returned from our fourth visit to Glitter Bay, our last was six years ago. We love the position and there is a great beach. The one problem there has always been is that, other than families with small children, no-one eats at the hotel at night. The food is excellent but the atmosphere zero. This time no-one even seemed to want to stay at the bar for a drink so the social area was completely dead in the evenings.
We were not notified until 4 days before our departure that there would be building works going on. They said the noise would be limited to the hours of 10-6 but in fact work started around 7.30 a.m. We did manage to ensure we had a room as far away as possible but some people had a dire time with the noise. The hotel became known as "Grotty Bay" by the end of the trip!
We spoke to the manager on the cocktail evening and it transpired that the hotel is closing in May for refurbishment and the staff have been given notice and don't know whether they will be re-employed there. There was a distinct atmosphere among them and a general malaise which was sad as the Bajans are generally such happy and welcoming people.
A hotel perhaps to be avoided until it reopens end of 2005, if the work is completed in time, when it will have returned to an even keel.
- Also Known As:
- Glitter Bay Hotel Porters
- Glitter Bay Hotel
- Glitter Bay Barbados
- Glitter Bay Barbados/Saint James Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Glitter Bay is no longer affiliated with Fairmont Hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Glitter Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.