“Fantastic Hotel - Great Value for Money” 5 of 5 stars

Dover Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dover BB15026, Barbados   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dover
Durham
“Fantastic Hotel - Great Value for Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

Beautiful and clean little hotel right on the beach. Would definitely go back there and would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Barbadis. Had a great time. Thank you.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I have visited Barbados three times,and have stayed at this hotel twice.
The hotel is situated right on Dover Beach if you stay in the main hotel and are not placed in the garden complex.
On my first stay I had a room with a sea view which although was basic, and needed refurbishment was clean and had a beautiful view.The hotel offered good value for money, and so I returned this year for a fortnight.
I sent an email a few weeks before my departure asking for a room upgrade.Unfortunately, this email was ignored however many times the email was sent. When I arrived I was allocated a room in the garden complex, away from the main hotel in an area with no view,which attracts mosquitoes and is next door to a construction site (which the hotel did not inform us of before).
My room was dirty with a white (semi clean) patch on the tiled floor through the main throughfare and the rest of the apartment had been ignored by the mop and very sticky to skin and flip flop alike! My bathroom was never cleaned while I was there, I took to cleaning it myself. I had my towels taken away twice and not replaced- having to traipse to reception to ask for more on each occasion. I had to remake my bed more than once as sheets not covering the rather filthy mattress (which I'd have preferred not to see). Most worryingly, the electrical wiring in the bathroom was faulty and the electrical socket in the kitchen was hanging off the wall.I wouldn't have been happy to have had children staying there.
I ran up an account during my stay with the hotel to allow me to get drinks at the poolside bar, snacks etc. On the evening before my departure I asked for them to compile a bill for me. They had a bill ready prepared, which I paid and thought little more of it. However I was to be approached a further two times on the morning of my departure to pay additional sums for drinks I had ordered 5 days before my departure.This I found unacceptably unprofessional and tiresome. I was asked at least three times during the course of my stay whether I had meals/drinks at the bar and hadn't signed for them- as someone answering my description had received these services and not secured a method of payment.I was made to feel uncomfortable and under suspicion which upset me.
Staff at the hotel were surly and generally rude with the exception of the activities manager.
I have noticed that the area in which the hotel is situated has become somewhat 'down at heel'. For example, two previously favourite haunts - the Bean and Bagel cafe and Jungles cafe have gone out of business in the last year.The hotel itself appears to be aimed at a different sort of customer this year.There were groups of American students,and some boys on a Cricket tour. There was no peace to be had at the pool to say the least.
This hotel has become more a youth hostel than the budget hotel it was last year.Suitable for young people in groups/backpackers.
I would not stay at the hotel again. I would advise considering going all inclusive (at one of the local resorts that offer this) as local supermarket is expensive and there is nowhere else but the hotel to go for breakfast-which is also expensive. The hotel is situated 15 minute brisk walk from the nightlife of the gap, but has good position on the beach.Barbados is lovely, consider this hotel if it is offering the very best price and money is an issue.Otherwise, I really would recommend you went elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2009
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

First visit to Barbados, we`d booked on a budget, my initial reaction was that the hotel was very basic. My husband and I have always stopped in lovely 4/5* hotels before so I understandably compared it to previous. Our room was immaculate but basic, the hotel needed cosmetically updating, just a change of colour scheme from orange and blue chintz to plain cream
The location is fantastic, we walked a good way up the coast in Bridgetown direction where it was possible. I would give our beach 10/10
The hotel is a short 5 to 15 minute walk to the restaurants in St Lawrence Gap. I would recommend Pisces and Harlequin, also the local food sold in stalls, the bbq ribs are fab!
There is some building work going on in the area but it didn`t in any way cause a problem
The staff were charming and very helpful, slightly laid back, you need to accept that life in Barbados is somewhat slower than the rest of the world
The people of Barbados have to be the nicest friendliest I have ever met, you occationally get approached by locals- if you smile and say no thanks they leave you alone
There are not many places that I would revisit but Barbados and the Dover Beach I would return to
We were a group of four people that booked at short notice to watch the cricket- West Indies V England, glad we chose Dover Beach we had a great holiday, cricket great to!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We stayed at the Dover Beach Hotel at the south end of St Lawrence Gap, Barbados. We really enjoyed the modest hotel and found the staff very friendly and helpful. The place is kept immaculate because the staff is always working. We asked to upgrade our room when we checked in, to an ocean view , which the staff did for no charge. Unfortunately we got a room with a broken a/c unit, but enjoyed the view so much we waited two days to get a similiar replacement room. The hotel is great for relaxation, either by the pool or on the sundeck which overlooks the ocean. If you want to use the beach, it is only a few steps down from the sundeck and is very nice. Great waves or body surfing. The Gap offers lots of dining options from high end to low. Some might even find the low end a bit pricey, but its all relative. All bars and restaurants in the Gap are walking distance from the hotel, but if it showers you may want to take one of the plentiful cabs. Just make sure you discuss the cab fare prior to departing or you will pay more. Make sure you go to Oistens on Friday or Saturday night for the fish fry and experience some Bajan culture and excellent food. The only negative I have about the Gap is that there are some abandoned buildings that drag the area down. It is like living in a posh sub division that has neighbours with grass two feet high and old beaters strewn about the front lawn. There is so much potential for the area with nice properties, great weather, excellent beaches and fine dining, that I hope they address the other problems before its too late. We would go back again and definitely stay at the Dover Beach Hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
nycpumpkin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

Ok, seriously... this is the best place to go with a significant other. The beach was amazing, the hotel fantastic, and the location can not be beat. The hotel is particularly well suited to individuals who have been seeing each other for roughly 2-3 months.

Barbados is a natural compromise for a couple looking for a beach getaway that also has activities to keep those who get bored from just sitting around occupied. This hotel does not disappoint: it is right on the beach and centrally located.Nearby are a number of restaurants that serve up delicious meals for those who keep quasi kosher. Also in walking are great shops that appeal primarily to individuals who enjoy spending time at Sachs and/or eating the frozen yogurt at bloomingdales. While the bagel selection at breakfast time leaves something to be desired, I suspect that you won't notice... you will be too busy snuggling the morning away with your companion.

There is one odd thing about the Barbados air near this property. For some reason, it makes one's hands cold and one's back warm. No worries, cold hands can easily be remedied by touching them against a warm back. NB... the effect of cold hands is more pronounced for females while men are more likely to report having warm backs. How bizarre... how bizarre.

• Liked — My companion
  • Disliked — My companion's unwillingness to put on sunscreen
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

I found the rooms at Dover Beach Hotel quite cozy. At first I didn't want to be on the first level but our room was actually bigger than the rooms on the second floor. The staff was very polite and helpful at all times, especially Tammika.

The housekeeping staff kept the room very clean and provided us with everything we needed. The location to me was great it was in walking distance to the clubs and restaurant in St. Lawrence Gap.

Ocean 11 great Karoke and Scotty's the food there was excellent. Dover Beach is a cool spot for those lovers that just want to be tuck away from everything.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Port of Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

We wanted a reasonably priced beach-front hotel on the St Lawrence Gap and Dover Beach hotel is exactly that… but not much more.

Dover beach hotel is situated at the end of the St Lawrence Gap so it is within walking distance from many fine restaurants and cafes on the St. Lawrence Gap itself. The only thing though is that many of the better places to eat are at the beginning of the Gap so for tired days it could be a long walk. The street is also one way traffic so it could cost a lot just to go to the other end of the street by taxi. One place I would certainly reccommend is josef's which is the most romantic restaurant in the St Lawrence Gap.

The exterior of the hotel is quite lovely. The hotel overlooks dover beach which is absolutely gorgeous. And there is a balcony overlooking the cliff so you the can see the waves crashing upon the rocks. The beach is beautiful but while I was there the water was very rough. It’s probably great for surfing but not for swimming.

Dover beach hotel has an excellent pool which is small but still very nice. However there is no lifeguard as you can see from the permanent no lifeguard sign posted on the wall. The pool closes at 8pm so don’t even think about a late night dip. There was security on the premises at all times and especially at night.

The hotel room was quite poor. For starters the air condition didn’t cool the room properly. On our first night there we actually had to shift the bed in order to be right under the vents and still it wasn’t cool enough. Then the second day the air condition started leaking.

The room itself was run down with pretty thin walls so you could hear the other guests in their rooms. Although clean, the bathroom was extremely small and quite aged. The toiletries given by this hotel consisted of two soaps that are expected to last as long as your stay. We were never given more soap unless we asked.

There was a room safe that I didn’t have to use but upon closer inspection didn’t seem to work. There was also an iron and ironing board. When we asked about the hairdryer we were told that we could get it at reception. The garden view room comes with a kitchenette consisting of a stove and a refrigerator while the ocean view room comes with a toaster, microwave, refrigerator and stove as well as utensils and dishes.

A major problem with the room was that there was a large florescent light right outside the door that was left on throughout the night. That, coupled with the fact that directly underneath the light was a curtainless window, made sleeping impossible and perhaps even migraine-inducing as the room was never dark. Even after trying to block out the light from the window with magazines and towels it was still very bright inside. We had complained to the receptionist who actually sent someone over to attempt to dim the light but we were moved the second night and still had the same problem. It’s also worth mentioning that there were poorly positioned windows in the bathrooms (both the garden-view and the ocean-view rooms) that made it possible for other guests (and voyeurs) walking along the corridor to look into the bathroom.

The most awful thing happened on our second day. When we returned to our room it was being mopped by the housekeeper. She informed us that there was water coming from the room next to ours. After she was finished I became aware that the water had soaked through my bag (Chanel of all things!) and that most of my clothes were wet. When I informed the receptionist she was quite helpful and passed me on to the manager who was also quite cooperative. She offered to upgrade us to an ocean view room and offered us a refund as well as to have my clothes washed. Of course I was furious that this happened but the staff was so very nice and extremely helpful I decided not to press the matter further and accepted the upgrade, a small refund and had the clothes washed. Later I was informed that the water was from the air-condition from the other room. I’m sure they wouldn’t have said it was toilet water... but since our air-condition was leaking too it wasn’t hard to imagine that it might have actually been that. I should note though that it seemed to me the staff was quite experienced in dealing with problems which is never a good sign.

Now the upgraded room was far from perfect too. We again had a problem with the light outside the door that kept the room brightly lit all night long. The bathroom was considerably smaller and the air-condition also was not very cool (although cooler than the first room). The first night we spent in that room it started raining heavily and we noticed immediately that water started trickling in under the sliding glass door of the balcony so we laid out towels to prevent the room from getting flooded. Thankfully the rain stopped shortly after or who knows what would’ve happened. This room also boasted a huge florescent light outside the door and a large un-curtained kitchen window so the sleepless nights continued. If you’re not bothered by bright lights then you wouldn’t have a problem but I certainly did.

In general the hotel is not at all worth the price. I've read better reviews for many other hotels in the same price range. I would not reccommend staying here unless the hotel did some major rennovations. From what I've heard though, it seems that rennovations were done not very long ago. Unfortunately, just not enough has been done to make this hotel into the gem it has the potential of being.

• Liked — Great staff. Very helpful and friendly.
  • Disliked — Terrible rooms.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dover Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!