As my title infers we never go back to the same place twice as the world is too big a place and I’d like to see as much of it as possible. In the case of Turtle Beach I could make an exception and that is high praise. We arrived from Antigua latish and were given a ground floor room, as we felt a little exposed we asked for a change and within half an hour we were given a second floor room.
Having stayed at the Verandah in Antigua we felt the hotel initially was a little cramped but in daylight we were amazed that the grounds were quite spacious. After a hearty breakfast we explored the beach, where we were greeted by Capt. Sam’s boys who could not do enough for us, they positioned our sun beds and provided the most comfortable lounger cushions imaginable. Loungers had a retractable hood, necessary as there were no parasols at the beach. When we used the pool area parasols were available. Drinks and ice lollies were also delivered to our lounges.
From the moment of arrival to our departure we had exceptionally good service being well looked after at meal times by Emerson and Jacqueline. At the resort there were three restaurants, the Chelonia with the Asiagos and the Waterfront being available on alternative days. Bookings for the latter two were required with 24 hrs. notice, as the Asiagos only catered for about 45 sittings it was full most days by 0700hrs. the day before. However, our only experience of the Asiagos (An Italian Restaurant) wasn’t good in so much that they ran out of the vegetarian meal option for my wife after an hour and my chicken was served in ketchup that posed as a Mediterranean sauce. We did however get an apology from the General Manager for the shortfall in standards on our departure. Meals at the other two were very good and they even went out of their way to cook up some breadfruit for us something we liked on our first visit to the Caribbean. Meals here for vegetarians are really good.
Entertainment was provided in front of the Chelonia restaurant in the centre of the large courtyard. In general all the acts were good and most involved the audience in some form or another.
Whilst in Barbados we took two excursions, one an Island site seeing trip and the other a catamaran trip to swim with turtles. On the first trip a must see is Harrison’s cave where you are conducted underground in trolley carts to see all manner of stalagmites and stalactites. Also included were Andromeda botanic Gardens and the wildlife reserve.
Our second trip involved a day out in a 47’ air-conditioned sailing catamaran, we were lucky and used a company R&R Cruising Charters (see their web site) and apart from another couple we had the boat to ourselves. On the trip we were pampered and well looked after. If you want luxury then use these as other catamarans arriving at the turtle bay looked really full and cramped.
Overall the holiday here went too quickly but we had a great time everything about this place was good, meals bar one, staff and the friendly atmosphere and the many nice people we met there. It was a really good holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "A vibrant blend of contemporary style and informal elegance." A truly magnificent all-inclusive property of 161 rooms situated on a glorious stretch of the south coast of Barbados. Turtle Beach Resort uniquely combines contemporary style, informal elegance, lively atmosphere and a superb range of facilities suitable for all ages, including a supervised kids Club (for children aged 4-12) setting new standards for all-inclusive holidays to the Caribbean. Complimentary WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Expedia, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turtle Beach By Elegant Hotel Dover
- Turtle Beach Barbados
- Turtle Beach Resort Barbados
- Hotel Turtle Beach
- Turtle Beach By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Dover