We stayed here for a week in october 2012 and got a good deal £1200 all in with Virgin atlantic flights and private transfers.
Having recently been in the middle east in a luxury 5* hotel it was difficult not to compare the 2 experiences, however if you focus on the fact this is a 4* hotel then you won't be disappointed.
The hotel is not really 'all inclusive' as you might think, more like full board with free drinks because food was not available at all times during the day, which meant you had to eat at certain times. The drinks were always flowing though and the bar staff will make up any cocktail you want.
Start with the negatives; the room wasn't the cleanest we have stayed in and the large gap under the door meant we had a few 'unwanted guests' that appeared on several occasions. Although our room opened out straight on to the beach, it wasnt cleaned daily as you might expect, but rather every couple of days which i have never experienced before. So the bed wasnt made up, towels werent changed etc.
Then there was the birds....... if you are afraid of birds then you will not want to stay here. They dont bother us usually however it did get a bit too much at times. Because all the food is served al fresco, the birds join in. They are very brazen and will come to your table and pinch food, drink your water, leave droppings on the lids of the buffet food, and i even noticed one bird with its head in the porridge at the buffet breakfast!
I guess you just have to be on your guard and cover up your drinks, dont leave food unattended etc and you'll be ok.
Apart from that the standard of the food was good, with plenty of choice to cater for every pallet, the staff were friendly and heplful, the complimentary watersports were a nice touch.
The beach is beautiful at this hotel, although the sea is rough due to the location on the island. As there are no private beaches in Barbados, you should beware of sellers who approach you whilst sunbathing, we were even offered drugs by one man, and when we declined (i was 3 months pregnant at the time), the guy still persisted, which made us feel slightly uneasy.
Overall this is a 'good' not 'excellent' hotel but you should still give it a try and judge for yourself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "A vibrant blend of contemporary style and informal elegance." A truly magnificent all-inclusive property of 161 rooms situated on a glorious stretch of the south coast of Barbados. Turtle Beach Resort uniquely combines contemporary style, informal elegance, lively atmosphere and a superb range of facilities suitable for all ages, including a supervised kids Club (for children aged 4-12) setting new standards for all-inclusive holidays to the Caribbean. Complimentary WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Regatta Hotels, Hotels.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Travelocity, West Indies, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turtle Beach By Elegant Hotel Dover
- Turtle Beach Barbados
- Turtle Beach Resort Barbados
- Hotel Turtle Beach
- Turtle Beach By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Dover