“Awesome Time at Turtle Beach” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Dover
Ottawa
“Awesome Time at Turtle Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

From the time we arrived we were treated amazingly. When we were greeted by Tara upon arrival....we were checked in while sipping on a rum punch.....they sure are yummy. My friend went to get the luggage to take to our room....Tara (who checked us in) said in a laughing manner....no no no...you are on holidays....we will get that for you....and please do not make that same mistake again.......all while laughing. And that set the tone for the week. As I had read before, the staff can't do enough for you.....that is sooo true.
So...
Food - above average for all inclusives. We did the buffet a couple of nights....the Waterfront Restaurant....our favorite, and Asiagos, once. Also a good choice. Buffets are not usually my favorite, but they were quite good.....but the restaurants.....I was very, very impressed. If youi wanted to try something..they just added it to your plate.

Room - nice but not outstanding. All services were as per usual. A couple of things...someone wrote they have really good hairdryer....and yes they do. No plug outlet in the bathroom for curlers or straightners....and there is no outlet in the room near a mirror. Not a big deal...just passing on info.

Beach - beautiful!!!!!. Water is rough if you have small children which we did not...so really enjoyed playing in the water. Temperature of the water is absolutely amazing. I have never just walked into the water like that. We loved it.

Water Sports - The hotel has a team that supports all the water sports. Captain Sam and his team are amazing. They took us out on the Hobbie Cat twice and Sadio took us out on the seadoo (you had to pay for that). When we came down in the morning Captain Sam already had one of the young lads setting up our lounges....and when we tole them we did not want a drink just then cause it wasn't even noon....they turned up at noon with two rum punches for us. Don't be lured by others on the beach that offer services...Captain Sam and his team really look out for you and provide an awesome service. They were number 1

Bars - Not a big dieal...but we were in off season so the hotel was only half full....there are only 3 bars in total and only 2 open at a time. The waterfront bar has only one blender...so line ups were a big long. I am only passing this on as info as a little wait on vacation is not a big deal. Mardonna comes around the pool and the beach to pass out drinks as well. Nice touch.

Night Life - We were not looking for night life so it was fine. There was entertainment every night...one night was a performance but most nights is music but not like nightclub type thing. If you are looking for nightlife...this is not where you want to be....but it was perfect for us.

Gym - adequate...a little old but had more stuff than a lot of place we have been.

Tours - went on two tours. One was a catamarin to swim with the sea turtles. There are several tours you can take, but just choose the one that offers you what you are looking for. We were not looking for the party boat so found a smaller more intimate one. We took a coast to coast tour with RCR Tours.... and do not recommend it. We were rushed through the stops we wanted to see the most and left in the places that held less interest. There was an option to hire a cab and customize what you want to see. In hind site.....we should have done that.

I think I have covered it all.

Was an amazing trip and looking forward to going back again next year!

Room Tip: We chose Ocean View....but I think cause it is a small resort all views are good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

1,731 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I literally cannot fault this hotel. My partner and I just got back yesterday and I had to write a rewiew (I never write reviews!).

The staff cannot be anymore helpful. We arrived late back from the hotel one day and missed the lunch buffet. We told them it was ok, and we'd go out to buy some food. They insisted we not spend out money and got the chef to cook us up some fresh lunch. Food is lovely and they change it up daily. And the drinks!! Be sure to have the Daiqauris in all the flavours. The staff on the beach are also very helpful, helping you with your chairs etc. Staff come out on the beach to bring you drinks without you even asking.

The bedroom we had was lovely (a pool & beach view), very clean and the bed was lovely. Room was cleaned everyday.

I would reccommend this hotel to anyone and we will def return. Barbados is a beautiful country and Turtle Beach made our stay just that bit more special. Cannot wait to return :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just returned from 7 days at the Turtle Beach & what can we say...... Hotel room was very clean & spacious with a great view of the pool & beach, food was fantastic and varied day to day. What made our stay was the friendly staff, they always had a smile & nothing was too much trouble. Captain Sam & his crew were great too, all the staff are a great asset to the hotel. Will definately be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Shelton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed there for a week with my husband. Place was clean and staff was very friendly. Hotel might not be the most modern but rooms were clean, food was good and beach was just few steps away. Staff at the beach was always there to help you find the chair, hand dry towel or serve som rum punch:-) beach vendors were surprisingly nice, you only needed to say "no thank you" and they would walk away and not bother you again.

• Stayed December 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from 9 nights at the Turtle Beach resort. We would definately recommend the hotel.
There was a choice of three restaurants, the food was very good with plenty of variety. The staff were very friendly ,efficient and helpful and at times drinks and fresh fruit were waiter served onto the beach in a relaxed and friendly manner.
In particular Captain Sam and his men at the water sports were very friendly and attentive - helping with sun loungers ( very comfortablle with built in adjustable shades) ,teaching our boys to surf , jetski ,use kayaks and sail in the Hobbie Cat. He even blew a conch shell to warn of rain showers.
The pool water was warm and the gardens and pools were clean.
The hotel gardens lead directly onto a lovely beach with soft coral sand with calm water and turtles just off the shore.
We chose a junior suit with an ocean view for our family of four - it was very spacious with a large balcony , very spacious bathroom and separate dressing room. It was clean and modern with fantastic views over the beach- even from the bathroom window ! ( room 242)- others nearby seemed of a similar size too.
My parents stayed in a suite with ocean views which was excellent too.
The transfer time from the airport is only 10 minutes but the hotel is also only about 30 minutes drive from the west coast and 10 minutes from Bridgetown.
We will definately be going back to Turtle Beach Resort again next year!

• Stayed November 2012
Jersey, Channel Islands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We spent 7 nights at the Turtle Beach over the school half-term holidays with our 12 and 13 year old children. The weather was fantastic and the Resort is beautiful, but there were a number of issues that we had to take up with the Resort while we were there. When we arrived after the 3pm check-in time (and over 14 hours since we had set off from home) we were greeted with a nice cool fruit punch but our room was not ready, and no one seemed to know how long we would have to wait. We did eventually get our room, but that was an unfortunate and disappointing start to our short stay. The next day we were asked whether we wanted our room cleaned before or after 12 noon. We opted for the morning, but the following day our room was not cleaned until almost 5 pm. The kids could not use the table tennis or the pool table without a parent having to sign out the equipment (and sign away liability in the event of damage for B$300). The daily activities such as beach football/cricket/rugby were good for boys when they happened, but often they did not. There is no free wi-fi zone to use your own equipment and the Internet Cafe excludes children between 12 and 16 unless supervised or accompanied by an adult. So, instead of having a relaxing holiday on the beach with the children kept occupied by what is supposed to be a Teen Club, I seemed to spend a lot of my time filling in forms for table-tennis or pool, and accompanying them to the Internet Cafe. In fact, one over officious security guard incorrectly interpreted the supervision rules as meaning one computer per family! The dress code for gentleman, for where we were told was the best place to eat in the Resort, required my 13 year old son to wear long trousers and a shirt with a collar. The only items in his wardrobe at home that fit this description are his school uniform. His fashionable and smart long shorts and T-shirt were not considered good enough. In fact that did not matter because I also failed to pass the dress code in my white capri length trousers! Ladies cannot wear trousers at this Italian restaurant unless they are full-length too! So even though we had made a reservation, we were turned away. We saw other families suffering the same fate - and mainly because fashion in the 21st Century for younsters does not have much in common with the dress code for this Italian restaurant. Neither I nor my son had packed anything for a one week beach holiday in Barbados that complied with the dress code. So having paid for an all-inclusive holiday we were effectively excluded from where we were told was the best place to eat in the Resort, and limited to the two other restaurants. Fortunately, by the end of the week our children were having a wonderful time by making their own fun with other similar aged children. But we did not find the Turtle Beach to be user friendly for parents with young teenagers and therefore it did not live up to our expectations for what we were hoping would be a relaxing holiday for us. To end on a positive note, the high-light of our stay in Barbados was a trip on a power boat called "Thriller" to swim with the turtles and snorkel over a reef and wreck, which we would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My family and I have had two visits to Turtle Beach and plan to go back every year. The most amazing thing about this resort are the people who work there. The first time we went, we met Captain Sam and his crew. He is one of the most amazing assets to the resort. My boys just loved him and he and his staff went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. The second time we went, I had recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease and was very concerned about what I would eat while I was there. They were absolutely amazing! When we arrived, I met with the head chef and he sat with me for a long time and went through the menu for each day telling me what I could and couldn't eat. They even made their soups for the week gluten free so I could enjoy them like the rest of the guests! They had gluten free bread for me at breakfast and even made me a gluten free cake for dessert. I can't tell you how impressed I was by that! We love Turtle Beach!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!