“Don't waste Your Money” 3 of 5 stars

25%OFF + $50/daily credit
Fort Myers, Florida
“Don't waste Your Money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Foolish us, expecting corporate standard service from a Hilton... Beautiful reception area. But staff was below standard even for a Motel-6. Housekeeping couldn't get to out mid-floor room during a 6 hour absence... Signage was misleading. Accounting was atrocious -- someone tried to pad out bill for several hundred dollars (US not Bajan) of goods and services we did not order or use. Desk personnel ignored questions or repeated bland (and obviously untrue) banalities. Staff have little or no knowledge of The Garrison area in which the hotel sits. There was a medical emergency at the on-site wedding we attended and the hotel obviously has no plan or training or anything for such situations. One of our party ran to the desk calling out that there was an emergency, and was told to wait while the desk person dealt with someone else first!!

Medical response time from the hospital less than 5 minutes away, and third-world environmental conditions inside said hospital mean you should not plan on being seriously ill at the Hilton or anywhere else on the island.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Maureen C, Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear KenHulme,

Many thanks for your Trip Advisor Review. We appreciate your feedback, as this enables us to continually review our service standards. I am very sorry to learn that you did not thoroughly enjoy your experience at the hotel and can assure you that there would have been no intention to charge you for goods and services not used. I am also disappointed to read your comments concerning the staff’s attitude, as service and knowledge are normally areas of great guest satisfaction.

There are emergency responders at the hotel and they would also have been contacted by the team members at the scene of the incident. Comfort can also be taken in the knowledge that our well trained doctors at the hospital are equipped to handle all types of medical emegencies.

We do apologise for all that did not meet your expectations and hope to be able to provide you with a perfect stay on a future visit.

MaureenC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dayville, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed almost a week here, for a relaxing vacation, and could have never left the premises. The pools were large and uncrowded, the Terrace bar was fun with amazing bar staff (didn't hurt that World Cup was going on at the same time!). We also took advantage of Barbados Dive, scuba diving next door that is affiliated with the Hilton. The beaches off the hotel were too rough for swimming while we were there, however the family beach next to the Dive shop was perfect. The fitness center also appeared new and well maintained. I could spend the rest of my days sitting on my balcony and smelling the salt air and feeling the sea breeze. My only complaint was that even though I'm Hilton Honors, free wifi was not included, which I've become accustomed to on international travel. I suppose that wasn't all bad as it kept me from checking my work email every hour! A truly relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: We chose an ocean facing room and the breeze was wonderful. I'm not sure how the breeze would b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Maureen C, Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Hi Rachel320,

Thank you for your detailed review. It makes one want to visit the hotel.
It was our pleasure to provide you with a fun filled relaxing vacation and we thank you for your kind comments for our team members, facilities and location.

The Hilton Honors benefits do vary with the various tiers of membership and internet is currently one of the benefits for our gold and diamond members. I anticipate your reaching one of these levels soon and being able to enjoy that benefit when next you visit us. Of course we will be expecting you to use it for fun only!

Keeping that ocean view from the balcony for you.

Santa Cruz, Aruba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Service was nice, staff very friendly, good installations and amenities. The location is spectacular with ocean views on both sides of the building. Hilton's name generates expectations. The Restaurant is still not refined enough to meet those expectations. With small improvements and gourmet level attention to detail, and taste control it can be done easily. Pay attention to the wine service please. A good place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Maureen C, Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Randall C,

Thank you for the feedback on your stay. We are particularly pleased to read that we met your expectations with our views, amenities and friendly service from our team. We look forward to meeting your expectations with the restaurant and appreciate your valuable observations on the areas mentioned. We welcome your return.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was in general a very good Hilton resort and it delivered the kind of quality and service you would expect from a Hilton although I wouldn't say it went beyond expectations either - it just delivered the expected standard. It is conveniently located just 20 mins from the airport and 10 mins from Bridgetown. Although its beach is public, it is slightly cut off from the main beach by the lifeguard tower so it actually feels like a private beach. For the main part, the hotel/room/beach/pool were clean, staff were friendly (especially at the pool bar) and the amenities were well maintained. There was music entertainment on a Sunday evening by the pool and a beach BBQ at an added cost on a Wednesday night - the food was average but the entertainment was very good! Housekeeping was on the whole was very good and our housekeeping lady was cheerful and thorough. Staff in general were very friendly.

A few complaints which made this fall short of a five rating however:

- Although in general the standard of cleaning was very good, on check-in to our room, we discovered a set of nail clippers on the floor which had been under the footstool. This did make me wonder whether the chairs etc. were actually moved during cleaning or not. Additionally, the soap/shampoo/conditioner etc. wasn't always refilled which was a bit of a pain.

- The tour desk was very good at pushing forward all the paid-for activities, but didn't seem to have much idea what was going on within the hotel nor how to make your money stretch further. We were given misinformation from them about the lack of classes/activities being run at the hotel which meant we actually missed out on free aerobics/fitness sessions during our stay. This was a big negative as I'd specifically been asking for these all week! If you do want these, then ask at the gym for the class schedule rather than relying on the tour-desk activities guide or the What's On board by the pool. Additionally, they were very keen to push forward their tour packages, but didn't make suggestions such as renting a car (which worked out cheaper than taking taxis to a series of places in one day) or doing self-guided tours for certain things. I understand that they need to make money, but I personally am more likely to spend with them if they give a good all-round service in the first place. On the plus side, they did have a lot of information and didn't mind spending time going through it with you and they were very friendly and approachable.

- If you have breakfast at the Lighthouse Terrace and want to eat on the actual terrace, then be prepared to fight birds. They are everywhere and want your breakfast. Not only did my husband come back to the table to find a bird drinking his orange juice, to add insult to injury, one also plopped on him!? It wasn't a relaxing experience at all!

- The restaurants weren't always open and weren't always serving a la carte. However, the poolside bar was good for lunch and sometimes served some food until later.

- We were not informed that there is complimentary wifi in common areas - we found out by accident (luckily) on the second day we were there.

Tips:

- An ocean-view room is definitely worth it just to sit on the balcony and watch the waves! I wouldn't usually be bothered about things like that, but this was definitely worth it. Try to get a room around halfway down the corridor on a higher floor (we were on fifth).

- There are plenty of taxis available from the hotel, but some places are within walking distance so just check with the bell boys first as the taxi drivers will be more than willing to tell you that it's only 'driveable'!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are definitely worth it for the view! If you like water sports, enquire at the stan...
Nassau, New Providence Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Nice place, views of Bridgetown Beach and town. Staff is very nice (as are most Barbadians...). Front desk check-in and out was ok, friendly and efficient. We stayed only one night, wanted to have nice dinner, dined on Terrace, service was friendly but inefficient, slow, in one evening they must have forgotten 6 or 7 items to bring, or wrong orders. Seemed a lot of staff, all running around, but nothing worked, also observed other tables complaining. Food quality was 1 out of 10, fish overcooked/dry, soup no taste, everything looked like made on the cheap, just thrown into a microwave. Only the prices were for a gourmet restaurant...The other option "Grille" looks like a run down mid-west beer drinking hole, not at all inviting for dinner in a "Hilton". Last but not least, if you want to hang out after dinner, beware, the pool bar closes at 9, to make sure you get an early sleep, and don't over-drink... We stayed only over night, I pity those who have to spend a whole week there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Maureen C, Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear flyingw0lf,

Thank you for your commendation for our location and niceness of our team members and Barbadians in general.

The description of the area referred to as the Grille, is actually our bar the Careenage, which is open until 12pm. I am sorry you didn't get to dine in the Grille, our fine dining restaurant and I also understand how you could have mistaken the Careenage Bar for the Grille Restaurant, as the menu for the Grille is displayed near the entrance to the bar.

I do apologise for all that occurred in the Lighthouse Terrace and can assure you that this is not our usual standard. We appreciate your feedback on the experience, as it will be useful in the review of service standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, for a totally enjoyable experience.

CHAMP FLEURS NA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Decided to spend 5 days at Hilton, despite my brother living there, upon arrival in my rental my bags were unloaded quickly and easily by waiting bell boys, at the Hilton Honors desk I was checked in quickly, even when I upgraded to a suite instead of just a room, throughout the weekend the service was excellent, from the bar, the pool even the gym staff, the only dark spot was it took a while to be seated and given coffee every morning for breakfast. The pool was great, the beach was rough but fun, the suite was comfortable, but not cleaned properly, when we pulled out the pull out couch/bed the linens from the previous occupant, including stains, was still there. The mini fridge did not close or cool properly, no microwave, comfortable shower and tub though, great view from the balcony and hallway. I had a good time and I look forward to returning.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Maureen C, Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Hi Trini_Randy,

Firstly let me apologise for the areas that were not of the usual hilton standard. Your feedback affords the opportunity for reassessment of our practices and preservation of our standards.
Thank you for the commendation for the efficiency of check in and quality of service. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and look forward to providing you with a perfect stay on your return.

Hickory
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I spent a week here and loved it! The restaurants were good at the hotel - I was not as pleased with the serving sizes for the price at The Grill restaurant. The service was excellent, but the food portions for the price you paid, was exorbitant. And to top it off the one night we ate there (mind you it's a bit on the upscale side - no bare shoulders for ladies, and long pants for men) the bar next door to the restaurant had a karaoke night - kind of spoiled the atmosphere. Breakfast in the room was nice on the balcony - and the morning buffet breakfast was awesome as well - just be warned the little birds will try and join you in the open area - so if you don't prefer to eat with wildlife, go to the inside. The poolside bar had plenty of things happening, and the menu was good - the fried calamari was out of this world!

Our room was comfortable and clean. I'm a stickler for mold though, and found some in the shower - which was a bit of a disappointment, but I do realize you are in a tropical location, so sometimes that is hard to avoid. Also the hallway smelled moldy - so if you have allergies, this could be a problem for you.

The beach was nice, not huge, but adequate. While we were there the seaweed coming in to shore (all over the island not just at our hotel) was horrible, and the staff made a valiant effort to remove it - when it's over a foot deep that takes a bit of doing, and I have to say I was quite impressed with their efforts. My husband and I found that the beach next to the hotel at the Dive shop was nicer, and cleaner (less seaweed) and we enjoyed our time there as well.

The hotel is within walking distance to the busses, and Carlisle Bay - where we got to see some of the local race horses being taken out for a training swim! You can also get to a few restaurants in the area on foot. Overall we enjoyed our stay - the staff was more than accommodating, and very helpful with whatever we needed. I would recommend staying here for sure - hope to get back again some day!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Maureen C, Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear JeffandDeeNC,

It is very good to read that you consider the hotel great value for money and that you did enjoy our location, the service from our helpful team and the varied meals provided by our restaurants. We also greatly appreciate your feedback on the areas of concerns expressed, as this provides the opportunity to review these areas. We thank you for choosing the Hillton Barbados and will be more than happy to have you as our guest again.

Regards

MaureenC

Been to Hilton Barbados Resort? Share your experiences!