“Great Hotel, TAKE NAMES” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Rate
$129 (USD)
Frankfurt, Germany
“Great Hotel, TAKE NAMES”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Hilton on Needham's Point in Barbados is a lovely hotel with easy beach access. We only ate there a few times, and food is good, housekeeping service is excellent, and some there is limited shopping inside the hotel. The staff is very friendly and willing to answer your questions. However, be sure to take names when you get your question answered. The only problem we had was with internet service. My husband has referred many people to the hotel as he was told they have complimentary WiFi in throughout the hotel and in the sleeping rooms. Upon checking in, we were told WiFi is only complimentary in the lobby. I went to the lobby, and after asking about the password at the front desk, they were going to charge me the full rate for internet access. I explained to them that we were told it is complimentary in the lobby, and that even calling for reservations we were told it is complimentary in the sleeping rooms. The lady at the front desk was very kind, and gave me complimentary lobby access to internet or 24 hours. Internet is the only issue we had at the hotel, otherwise it is very clean and friendly. They also hire security along the beach. It was explained to me that security is for the purpose of keeping an eye on those trying to sell illegal drugs to guests. It isn't unusual for local people selling jewelry they have made or other such items to hotel guests on the beach. If someone becomes too persistent and a nuisance, I believe the security people will ask them to leave so you can have some nice relaxing beach time. This is one of few hotels I would recommend in Barbados. I should also add this is one of the most colorful areas of the sea, and the beauty is stunning. My husband and I were in the process of transferring from Barbados to another country. Every time I left my neighborhood while living there, I could look down from the hills and see the incredible beauty of Needham's Point from about about 4 kilometers away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MatthewBarbados, General Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your great stay with us. All of us at Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Everyone was so great and always super friendly. They were very helpful and made us even more relaxed. It wasn't a huge hotel so that was also nice. The rooms were great and the view could not have been more beautiful. Next time I would like to try the spa. Food was excellent as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Haywards Heath W. Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

As with most of my hotel reviews this was based on a one day stop - arriving early in the morning and leaving early evening. My experience of Hilton hotels has been mixed but this hotel certainly seems to be one that the Hilton group should be proud of.
My colleagues and I arrived at the hotel at 08.30 in the morning to be greeted by Gina(?) who was so helpful. It is always tense when you arrive at a hotel before the normal check-in time but she confirmed our rooms were ready. We headed straight into breakfast which had the usual buffet choices.
My room was everything you would expect from a Hilton hotel, not that I got to sleep in it!
We spent the day down on the beach which was very good. The pool area was quite busy but again was well laid out. Late afternoon we ate at the Water's Edge Bar and had an enjoyable meal. After getting changed it was a short ride back to the airport for our flight to London

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our hotel! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon. Best regards
München, Deutschland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have stayed 11 nights at the Hilton Barbados resort and the overall experience was just great.

I can recommend it highly and can compare the service standard well as I tend to stay at lot in 4-5 star hotels all year round. Before I highlight some of the benefits, let me outline two downsides:

(1) Forget the lounge, it does not even compare remotely to what I know from other hotels. Breakfast is not well catered for so I always went downstairs and no alcohol is for free, not even during the standard happy hour (never experienced that before ever!), and

(2), the bell boys who arrange also taxi bookings seem to run a nice profitable side business for themselves. In Barbados standard government-set taxi rates exist so that tourists do not get ripped off. We tested this service three times and argued every single time about different quotations that were insanely high. Likewise, bell boys unfriendly and taxi drivers are always the same waiting all say 100m down the road so they can rip off another tourist. Complaints to the duty manager about their services, on two separate occasions, did not seem to help much either. Hence we made our own arrangements from day three onwards. I did inform the GM about this too and he promised to look into their processes (this is much needed!!). Note: We spoke to 5-6 other guests about this and all felt the same. Tip: Walk the 250m to the main road and wait for one of the ZR mini buses (number plates always start with ZR) - they cost always US$2 p.p. and take you along the main road to most restaurants beyong Bridgetown as well as St. Lawrence Gap and Hastings.

Those experiences did not spoil our great time at the Hilton. Quite the contrary because everything else was fantastic:

-- The check-in went very smoothly and both my brother and I were provided to nice upgrades to a suite and exec room. As a diamond member of quite some time I almost expect it too though and it always works out too I have to admit. In that way the Hilton Honors program works great too.

-- Rooms were all great, sea-view and bay-view alike. Clearly the sea-view ones are a bit better, but then, you will spend most of your time outside of the room.
-- The hotel beach is one of the best on the island. We travelled all around the island and found it to be the best beach together with Crane beach, which I found a bit windy though. The other 5-star hotels at the Platinum Coast have next to no waves at all. The Hilton offers a beach with and one without waves. You could not ask for more when picking Barbados as your destination.

-- The beach bar right next to the pool area is nice. Prices are a bit high, especially for the local Banks beer. But then, that is the case in all holiday resorts and expected.
-- The Grille restaurant I can highly recommend. Prices are also on the high side but the food is delicious. In comparison the Lighthouse restaurant, where breakfast is offered too, was not my favourite. There are much better value for money places in close vicinity to the Hilton.

-- Wedding: My brother got married on the Hilton beach and that definitely was the most beautiful wedding I had ever been to (comparing it to about 30 others). The beach setting was gorgeous, the sunset celebration amazing and the dinner at the old fort (belonging to the resort) fantastic. The wedding planner did a great job too!!

-- Staff: We found most staff to be very friendly and well trained. Of course, there are the few exceptions that should never happen but those experiences happened on no more than half a dozen occasions. The "bell-boy mafia" were avoided for reasons mentioned earlier. And the old guys at the pool bar could really put on a few more smiles. They cost nothing and go a long way (Matthew, perhaps you can address that). Result: No smile, no tip and we tipped generously. Naturally, the guys never got the message and no tip then meant an even more serious face the next time. We made fun of them and had some good laughs...

-- Shopping: Forget it in Bridgetown and anywhere nearby. Quality is mainly poor and prices higher than anywhere in Europe or the US. So bring everything you need with you.

-- Boat Cruise: We did a private 5-hour boat cruise with 17 people and it was an awesome experience. Highl recommendable!! Unfortunately, we had arranged the trip with a guy called "Action" who seems to work for the hotel and runs around the beach area all the time. We paid 70US$ per person only to find out later that we would have paid only 35US$ when booking directly with the boat crew. The name was something like "Boycerous" and they really made our day. Lunch, beers and booze (good quality rum, vodka, whisky, Baileys, etc.) all included and no limits. There was more than plenty there of everything. Music was great too. Turtles unbelievable!!

-- Car Hire: Definitely consider this as you will see a lot of the island. Two days will be sufficient.

In summary, I can highly recommend the Hilton. It is a placed at one of the best locations and there is much to do around the island.

Room Tip: All rooms seems good. Our party of 17 had all kinds: Sea-view suite is great and so was the sea-view...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Not one of your mega-sized Hiltons, the Barbados Resort is ideal for businesspeople and tourists alike. An upgrade to the executive floors is well worth the additional charge, and the breakfast-time views show a little touch of paradise - making every business traveler rather jealous of the holidaymakers that make up the gross majority of the hotel's residents.
Of course, the staff are both delightful and professional.

Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for two weeks in October 12. We took a suite which had a living room for our two young kids. Overall the stay was terrific, with lots of positives and only a couple of very minor irritations, which didn't impact our overall enjoyment of the resort.

Positives
The biggest positive was the staff - everyone (and I mean everyone!) was friendly, approachable and without doubt the biggest asset of the hotel. Little did we realise until a few days into our trip that in fact nearly all Barbadian people are like this, but it's still a joy to be in such company.
A large, bright and very clean room.
Plenty of facilities for all guests, although itshould be noted that it was a quiet time of the year, so the hotel wasn't full.
The executive lounge was a nice place to spend some time and chill out from the heat of the day.
The food was OK, although not cheap.

Negative
The week-end breakfast buffet was completely overrun from 9am onwards. It's seemingly a regular spot for locals to go at the week-end and it meant that there were long queues at the egg station and supplies of juice were often running short. It wasn't a big deal for us as we usually ate earlier when it was quieter, but worth bearing in mind if you like to lie in.

Overall there was a lot to recommend this hotel and next time we are in Barbados, we'd absolutely look to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MatthewBarbados, General Manager at Hilton Barbados Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your detailed comments and I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience with us and enjoyed the facilities and services especially our suites. I look forward to welcoming you back to this beautiful island again. Best regards
King City, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

One of the top 3 locations to rent in Barbados. For the extra few $ stay on the executive floors. The paint is somehow more pleasing and the rooms slightly upgraded. What truly makes it worth it is free internet and access to the top floor executive lounge with included continental breakfast. The lounge is bright and airy overlooking the ocean and a great place to relax, surf the net or have a meeting.

Room Tip: Choose the executive floors - best view and lots of extras.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments and it was our pleasure to have you with us on the beautiful island of Barbados once again. We look forward to having you back with us in the future. Best regards

Been to Hilton Barbados Resort? Share your experiences!