“Great location, lovely staff, perfect accommodation for young family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gibbs Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Peter Parish
Gibbs Bay Inn
Gibbs, BB26027, Barbados   |
“Great location, lovely staff, perfect accommodation for young family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here in January 2012, I meant to write a review much sooner and it's only now (as I'm about to rebook for next year) that I've got round to it. This was the perfect hotel for us. We were with our one-year-old daughter, and were given two connecting rooms with a large terrace (three sofas, kitchen area and still plenty of space for our daughter to learn to walk).

True, the accommodation is at the shabby end of shabby-chic (it's all quite dated, the tiles in the bathroom are a bit chipped, that kind of thing), but our spacious rooms were kept spotlessly clean by the lovely housekeeper. Our bed was very comfortable, and the air-con kept the rooms cool enough at night. The beautiful beach is accessed through a private, gated path (there isn't any public access to this beach from the road so it's very quiet). The hotel pool area was great, breakfast was generous with good food served by friendly staff. The couple managing the property were beyond-the-call-of-duty helpful, and special mention must go to Dexter who helped with everything from carrying cases to fixing our flat tyre.

Two smallish criticisms: firstly, when we stayed the hotel didn't have the facility to take payment by credit card, and the owner requested full payment by bank transfer in advance. We weren't happy to do this, so we reached an agreement whereby we would make the transfer upon arrival. We were told at the time that the owners were in the process of setting up a credit card facility so hopefully this is now in place. Secondly, they needed a couple more loungers on the beach.

Overall we loved it. The location, atmosphere and staff were all brilliant. At its busiest there were about 20 guests, including amilies, groups, couples and solo travellers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

Extremely disappointing.  Gibbs Bay Inn is a lot more run down than pictures on the Internet suggest and this has gone past being charming.  Bed linen wasn't fresh and plumbing issues left a smell of sewage in the room.  A recent change on ownership appears to have left day to day management in disarray.  The promised fridge was not stocked and there was not bottled water available on site.  Woken at 7:45 with a scooter like noise from a leaf blowing machine wasn't conducive to the relaxed Caribbean vibe we were seeking.  When wanting to make a complaint the manager was absent and we were not able to contact the owner, located in the UK.  Customer service does not appear to be a priority.   Breakfast spoken of in other  is no longer served & it's fully self catering.  We met others on pur trip who recommended Bayfield House in Mullins.  Five minutes up the road I would try this guest house next time as the location on the west coast and proximity to Holetown is fantastic.

• Stayed March 2012
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

The best location on the island! It's quite and peaceful. The beach is absolutely stunning. However, we have mixed feelings about the accommodations.

The open air concept makes this place really charming and cozy. Our room came with a private living room area and a kitchen which was completely open. The pool area is well done, great for lounging during the day or night. The breakfast was wholesome - a big plus! The service was great.

Now the following did not justify $225 per night. We slept on a hard mattress covered by a thin stained bed sheet that has been washed at least a thousand times. There was nothing in between the sheet and the mattress like it is done everywhere else. The blanket was a cover blanket so don't think it gets washed often. The bathroom was completely bare: no soap, no shampoo, no nothing! Bring your own! Most of the time there was no hot water in the shower and the toilet did not flush properly. It felt like everything was done on the cheap...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We were a party of 10 consisting of 4 fortysomethings, 2 19 year olds, 2 16 year old and 2 12-13 year olds. My good friend found Gibbs on the internet and we took a chance and it certainly paid off. When I say it is the BEST location in Barbs I do not exaggerate. Our stay was made especially exceptional by the most amazing family whom are managing the Inn. Without their humour plus professionalism, our stay would not have been quite so fab!

We were fortunate enough to have the newly decorated suitesl, If you like gold leaf bath handles and the charmless atmosphere created in 5 star opulence then Gibbs is not for you. We usually stay in such spiritless hotels but after experiencing the real beauty of Gibbs, there is no comparison. You do have to "Go with the Flow" and respect that the building is very old and yes, is still in need of some TLC but the fabulous cleaners kept the place spotless with constantly clean linen and shiny floors! I would agree it looks slightly like the pictures, however, in our opinion, the photos do not do it justice!

Bus stops right outside and car hire no problem! I really don't want too many people to find out about our little guilty pleasure which is Gibbs Bay Inn but I have returned today and am smiling to myself about our wonderful experience and need to share and reassure anyone tempted but slightly doubting. Go for it!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Spent 3 nights at the Gibbs Bay Inn. This was my first trip to Barbados and I was traveling alone. I wanted a place where I would feel comfortable and safe. After looking all over the internet and TripAdvisor I found this Inn. It looked like just what I had been dreaming of.
I asked many questions and Toby answered me promptly. Booking was easy. My first view of the In was in the pouring rain and at night. There was someone there with a huge umbrella and welcoming smile as soon as the car came up the driveway. My room(s) was amazing. More a 3 room suite.....Kitchen, dining room, bedroom, and huge outdoor living room! Wow! Much more than I expected! A beautiful apartment.The pool is right outside the door and the intimate atmosphere helped me get to know the other guests. Breakfast and afternoon tea both were included. As I was not there for tea...a tray was left in the refrigerator for me.Tea, coffee and an honor bar including soft drinks are available 24 hours a day. All the staff were warm and helpful. Room was spotless. AC just what I needed as well as ceiling fans. Beach is across the road and beautiful. Amazing value for the price.

If you are staying a car would be very useful. Friends usually came to get me, but I did take the bus (which stops right outside the gates) on day. Easy and fun too.

Room Tip: Think they are all more than good!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

As regular visitors to the Island we knew what to expect from the location of the Inn. It sits immediately opposite a beautiful, quiet, sandy beach with calm blue water, but has easy access to other parts of the island with its variety of restaurants and activities. If you want to be in the middle of a town with restaurants and bars right on your doorstep, this is not the location for you, though they are only a short bus or car journey away. We loved the Inn! It was clean yet quirky with loads of space and a lovely pool, this is not a 'plastic Hilton type hotel', it does not have a spa or faceless staff and service but it is a unique, wonderfully friendly building with a homely feel. All the staff were extremely polite and helpful and Toby and Karen couldn't do enough for us and the other guests. It was a relaxed and peaceful place, we all just had the best time. Breakfasts were perfect, and the afternoon teas delicious. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have to be honest I was very let down by the place - it looks nothing like the pictures on the website at all and is very old and run down place and way over priced..........There is very little atmosphere and not alot around the place so you must either get taxi or bus as you cannot walk the roads especially with kids. Make sure you settle any bills face to face as the owners have added additional charges after our departure. Not the greatest place and there are a lot better places on the island

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Gibbs Bay Inn? Share your experiences!