“Extremely disappointing.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Gibbs Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Peter Parish
Gibbs Bay Inn
Save Saved
You added Gibbs Bay Inn to your Saves list
Gibbs, BB26027, Barbados   |
“Extremely disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

Extremely disappointing.  Gibbs Bay Inn is a lot more run down than pictures on the Internet suggest and this has gone past being charming.  Bed linen wasn't fresh and plumbing issues left a smell of sewage in the room.  A recent change on ownership appears to have left day to day management in disarray.  The promised fridge was not stocked and there was not bottled water available on site.  Woken at 7:45 with a scooter like noise from a leaf blowing machine wasn't conducive to the relaxed Caribbean vibe we were seeking.  When wanting to make a complaint the manager was absent and we were not able to contact the owner, located in the UK.  Customer service does not appear to be a priority.   Breakfast spoken of in other  is no longer served & it's fully self catering.  We met others on pur trip who recommended Bayfield House in Mullins.  Five minutes up the road I would try this guest house next time as the location on the west coast and proximity to Holetown is fantastic.

• Stayed March 2012

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

The best location on the island! It's quite and peaceful. The beach is absolutely stunning. However, we have mixed feelings about the accommodations.

The open air concept makes this place really charming and cozy. Our room came with a private living room area and a kitchen which was completely open. The pool area is well done, great for lounging during the day or night. The breakfast was wholesome - a big plus! The service was great.

Now the following did not justify $225 per night. We slept on a hard mattress covered by a thin stained bed sheet that has been washed at least a thousand times. There was nothing in between the sheet and the mattress like it is done everywhere else. The blanket was a cover blanket so don't think it gets washed often. The bathroom was completely bare: no soap, no shampoo, no nothing! Bring your own! Most of the time there was no hot water in the shower and the toilet did not flush properly. It felt like everything was done on the cheap...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We were a party of 10 consisting of 4 fortysomethings, 2 19 year olds, 2 16 year old and 2 12-13 year olds. My good friend found Gibbs on the internet and we took a chance and it certainly paid off. When I say it is the BEST location in Barbs I do not exaggerate. Our stay was made especially exceptional by the most amazing family whom are managing the Inn. Without their humour plus professionalism, our stay would not have been quite so fab!

We were fortunate enough to have the newly decorated suitesl, If you like gold leaf bath handles and the charmless atmosphere created in 5 star opulence then Gibbs is not for you. We usually stay in such spiritless hotels but after experiencing the real beauty of Gibbs, there is no comparison. You do have to "Go with the Flow" and respect that the building is very old and yes, is still in need of some TLC but the fabulous cleaners kept the place spotless with constantly clean linen and shiny floors! I would agree it looks slightly like the pictures, however, in our opinion, the photos do not do it justice!

Bus stops right outside and car hire no problem! I really don't want too many people to find out about our little guilty pleasure which is Gibbs Bay Inn but I have returned today and am smiling to myself about our wonderful experience and need to share and reassure anyone tempted but slightly doubting. Go for it!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Spent 3 nights at the Gibbs Bay Inn. This was my first trip to Barbados and I was traveling alone. I wanted a place where I would feel comfortable and safe. After looking all over the internet and TripAdvisor I found this Inn. It looked like just what I had been dreaming of.
I asked many questions and Toby answered me promptly. Booking was easy. My first view of the In was in the pouring rain and at night. There was someone there with a huge umbrella and welcoming smile as soon as the car came up the driveway. My room(s) was amazing. More a 3 room suite.....Kitchen, dining room, bedroom, and huge outdoor living room! Wow! Much more than I expected! A beautiful apartment.The pool is right outside the door and the intimate atmosphere helped me get to know the other guests. Breakfast and afternoon tea both were included. As I was not there for tea...a tray was left in the refrigerator for me.Tea, coffee and an honor bar including soft drinks are available 24 hours a day. All the staff were warm and helpful. Room was spotless. AC just what I needed as well as ceiling fans. Beach is across the road and beautiful. Amazing value for the price.

If you are staying a car would be very useful. Friends usually came to get me, but I did take the bus (which stops right outside the gates) on day. Easy and fun too.

Room Tip: Think they are all more than good!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

As regular visitors to the Island we knew what to expect from the location of the Inn. It sits immediately opposite a beautiful, quiet, sandy beach with calm blue water, but has easy access to other parts of the island with its variety of restaurants and activities. If you want to be in the middle of a town with restaurants and bars right on your doorstep, this is not the location for you, though they are only a short bus or car journey away. We loved the Inn! It was clean yet quirky with loads of space and a lovely pool, this is not a 'plastic Hilton type hotel', it does not have a spa or faceless staff and service but it is a unique, wonderfully friendly building with a homely feel. All the staff were extremely polite and helpful and Toby and Karen couldn't do enough for us and the other guests. It was a relaxed and peaceful place, we all just had the best time. Breakfasts were perfect, and the afternoon teas delicious. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have to be honest I was very let down by the place - it looks nothing like the pictures on the website at all and is very old and run down place and way over priced..........There is very little atmosphere and not alot around the place so you must either get taxi or bus as you cannot walk the roads especially with kids. Make sure you settle any bills face to face as the owners have added additional charges after our departure. Not the greatest place and there are a lot better places on the island

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Lennox, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed the week of July 18-26. Our daughter got married in Barbados and some of our extended family came also (17 total). Toby and Karen (owners) took VERY good care of us! Breakfast was delicious, and the afternoon tea and goodies were also. Toby arranged an island tour for all of us, gave us suggestions on where to eat and shop. They answered all of our questions no matter what they were. The Inn, which is more like a mansion, was so clean and safe. Keep in mind that it is no "Hilton", so there are amenities you won't find there. For example, there can only be air conditioning in the room at night (unless you want to pay an extra $25US/day), as electricity, along with everything else on the island is expensive. However, there is a charm to the Inn and people there that overshadows any negative thought after staying a couple of nights. If you need to know if you have to bring anything (washcloths), you can email Toby, and he'll answer you promptly. The beach is just across the road. And between visiting many beaches on the island during the island tour we took, and the surfing we did, you WILL NOT find a better beach on the island if you enjoy having a private beach! It's just under a 1/2 mile long, and had a couple dozen people on the beach at the most. Good place for snorkeling, nice sand, and calm waters. If you want a more public beach, you just walk in the ocean around the bay to Mullins Bay where you can enjoy the more public beach experience. Toby, Karen, and staff are very personable and kind. We made friends with other families staying there from England and exchanged contact information with them. They all made our stay memorable and enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Gibbs Bay Inn? Share your experiences!