“Charm! Barbs Best Kept Secret!But Dont Tell Anyone...........” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gibbs Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Peter Parish
Gibbs Bay Inn
You added Gibbs Bay Inn to your Saves list
Gibbs, BB26027, Barbados   |
London, United Kingdom
“Charm! Barbs Best Kept Secret!But Dont Tell Anyone...........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We were a party of 10 consisting of 4 fortysomethings, 2 19 year olds, 2 16 year old and 2 12-13 year olds. My good friend found Gibbs on the internet and we took a chance and it certainly paid off. When I say it is the BEST location in Barbs I do not exaggerate. Our stay was made especially exceptional by the most amazing family whom are managing the Inn. Without their humour plus professionalism, our stay would not have been quite so fab!

We were fortunate enough to have the newly decorated suitesl, If you like gold leaf bath handles and the charmless atmosphere created in 5 star opulence then Gibbs is not for you. We usually stay in such spiritless hotels but after experiencing the real beauty of Gibbs, there is no comparison. You do have to "Go with the Flow" and respect that the building is very old and yes, is still in need of some TLC but the fabulous cleaners kept the place spotless with constantly clean linen and shiny floors! I would agree it looks slightly like the pictures, however, in our opinion, the photos do not do it justice!

Bus stops right outside and car hire no problem! I really don't want too many people to find out about our little guilty pleasure which is Gibbs Bay Inn but I have returned today and am smiling to myself about our wonderful experience and need to share and reassure anyone tempted but slightly doubting. Go for it!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Spent 3 nights at the Gibbs Bay Inn. This was my first trip to Barbados and I was traveling alone. I wanted a place where I would feel comfortable and safe. After looking all over the internet and TripAdvisor I found this Inn. It looked like just what I had been dreaming of.
I asked many questions and Toby answered me promptly. Booking was easy. My first view of the In was in the pouring rain and at night. There was someone there with a huge umbrella and welcoming smile as soon as the car came up the driveway. My room(s) was amazing. More a 3 room suite.....Kitchen, dining room, bedroom, and huge outdoor living room! Wow! Much more than I expected! A beautiful apartment.The pool is right outside the door and the intimate atmosphere helped me get to know the other guests. Breakfast and afternoon tea both were included. As I was not there for tea...a tray was left in the refrigerator for me.Tea, coffee and an honor bar including soft drinks are available 24 hours a day. All the staff were warm and helpful. Room was spotless. AC just what I needed as well as ceiling fans. Beach is across the road and beautiful. Amazing value for the price.

If you are staying a car would be very useful. Friends usually came to get me, but I did take the bus (which stops right outside the gates) on day. Easy and fun too.

Room Tip: Think they are all more than good!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

As regular visitors to the Island we knew what to expect from the location of the Inn. It sits immediately opposite a beautiful, quiet, sandy beach with calm blue water, but has easy access to other parts of the island with its variety of restaurants and activities. If you want to be in the middle of a town with restaurants and bars right on your doorstep, this is not the location for you, though they are only a short bus or car journey away. We loved the Inn! It was clean yet quirky with loads of space and a lovely pool, this is not a 'plastic Hilton type hotel', it does not have a spa or faceless staff and service but it is a unique, wonderfully friendly building with a homely feel. All the staff were extremely polite and helpful and Toby and Karen couldn't do enough for us and the other guests. It was a relaxed and peaceful place, we all just had the best time. Breakfasts were perfect, and the afternoon teas delicious. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have to be honest I was very let down by the place - it looks nothing like the pictures on the website at all and is very old and run down place and way over priced..........There is very little atmosphere and not alot around the place so you must either get taxi or bus as you cannot walk the roads especially with kids. Make sure you settle any bills face to face as the owners have added additional charges after our departure. Not the greatest place and there are a lot better places on the island

Lennox, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed the week of July 18-26. Our daughter got married in Barbados and some of our extended family came also (17 total). Toby and Karen (owners) took VERY good care of us! Breakfast was delicious, and the afternoon tea and goodies were also. Toby arranged an island tour for all of us, gave us suggestions on where to eat and shop. They answered all of our questions no matter what they were. The Inn, which is more like a mansion, was so clean and safe. Keep in mind that it is no "Hilton", so there are amenities you won't find there. For example, there can only be air conditioning in the room at night (unless you want to pay an extra $25US/day), as electricity, along with everything else on the island is expensive. However, there is a charm to the Inn and people there that overshadows any negative thought after staying a couple of nights. If you need to know if you have to bring anything (washcloths), you can email Toby, and he'll answer you promptly. The beach is just across the road. And between visiting many beaches on the island during the island tour we took, and the surfing we did, you WILL NOT find a better beach on the island if you enjoy having a private beach! It's just under a 1/2 mile long, and had a couple dozen people on the beach at the most. Good place for snorkeling, nice sand, and calm waters. If you want a more public beach, you just walk in the ocean around the bay to Mullins Bay where you can enjoy the more public beach experience. Toby, Karen, and staff are very personable and kind. We made friends with other families staying there from England and exchanged contact information with them. They all made our stay memorable and enjoyable.

Sussex England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We have just spent two weeks staying at Gibbs Bay Inn. We are two families making up a party of eight in total. Our children are all teenagers.
Gibbs Bay Inn has been absolutely perfect. I can’t praise Toby and Karen enough for providing us with great accommodation coupled with really personal service and relaxed atmosphere.
We had a huge apartment comprising of two doubles and two twin rooms all en suite. These all opened out onto a massive kitchen/ dining area. A full sized fridge and cooker with a full complement of crockery cutlery, pots and pans. Then there was the open veranda with sofas to laze and chat. This overlooked the pool and the beautiful trees, flowers and wildlife all around.
A typical day has been to wake to the sound of Dexter sweeping the pool and the birdsong. One of us would wake up and make a mug of tea. Fresh milk was provided in a constant supply throughout our stay so it really felt like a home from home. No travel kettles, tiny cups or horrible milk for us!
We would wander down to breakfast where the lovely Dennysha prepared us fresh fruit salad, full English breakfast Caribbean style and pancakes. Pretty much whatever we wanted. Her potatoes, fried plantain and tomatoes were amazing.
Every morning Toby was there to make us our tea and chat about our plans for the day. Nothing was too much trouble to organise. Hire car, Diving, Taxis etc. Really personal service.
Jackie made our beds cleaned, washed up and provided clean towels and beach towels whenever we needed. We wished that we could take her home!
Four o clock, tea, sandwiches and Dennyshas homemade cake. Yummy!
Five o clock rum and mix!
Seven o clock head into HoleTown on the mad yellow bus!
The pool area was very comfortable with soft loungers inducing sleep the moment that you lay down. Dexter kept it pristine. The Beach at Gibbs is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. No lines of loungers here just a handful of people every day. Dexter took the loungers for us and set them up! What more could you ask for. The beach is a two minute walk across the road and through a private gate.
Fabulous snorkelling and plenty of Bajans arriving with jet skis, water-skis, wake boarding. We did it all. The turtle boat was awesome. It was so easy, they just arrive and you strike the deal!
We hired a car for just two days which got us around the island to get the lay of the land and see some of the attractions. The rest of the time we got the bus. These are easy and frequent costing $2 per ride. The yellow buses are an experience in themselves and stop just outside the Inn. The ride to Bridgetown on the day of the Crop Over festival was probably the craziest ever! These buses became all part of our evening entertainment with plenty of restaurants at Hole town. A few nights we ate in or ordered a take away with the help of Toby. They even hosted a delicious barbeque on our last night.
All in all Gibbs Bay Inn has been a perfect holiday. If you want a standard, faceless resort don’t come here.
If you were lucky enough to have a friend who invited you to use their house in Barbados along with its entire staff, I’m guessing that this is what it would be like.

Room Tip: Talk to Toby and Karen about your requirements as the apartments are very flexible.
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I was worried at first when we got to Barbados, taking a glance at the yellow buses. However, that changed when we were welcomed by Toby. He greeted us and gave us our rooms as soon as possible so we could rest from the flight. Every morning they had a variety of breakfast foods including fruit, succulent potatoes, and fresh tomatoes. Breakfast was served on a patio overlooking the pool. The pool was cleaned every morning as was everything else to make it look beautiful, and when we did see the workers they greeted us with smiles and a hello.

We dove during the week and Toby did very well getting us on the boat and in touch with hightide watersports. I can't think of anything worth discussing that was wrong with the whole trip and I thank Gibbs Bay Inn for an awesome week. I will definitely try to come back as soon as possible!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Gibbs Bay Inn? Share your experiences!