My husband and I visited Sugar Cane club for two weeks at the end of June. We both work in jobs in city and the aim of the holiday was to have a stress-free existence and recharge our batteries. Based on the fantastic reviews on trip advisor and the fact the resort was child-free (very important for a stress-free holiday) we decided on Sugar Cane.
I can safely say that I have never felt so relaxed in my entire life. By the end of the first week, I felt very relaxed, but by the send of the second week I was more relaxed than I ever knew was possible!
Highlights in no particular order:
1. Staff - every single staff member was incredibly friendly, and very genuine - gardeners, waiting staff, salon staff - everyone! Very few hotels can say that. Sade and Neil stood out as real gems and made our trip that extra bit special. Peter Charles the hotel manager is a very friendly man, who made the effort to greet each guest personally when he arrived. His warm-mannered approach clearly filters down to the staff at Sugar Cane.
2. This is the first time I have ever been to a hotel which is so genuine they don’t try and rip you off at every possible moment. Example: we were given a free couples massage, there is a free minibus service to Speightstown and Mullins beach, free trip for swimming with turtles - amazing experience especially as you go with other Sugar Cane guests in a little boat as opposed to those huge catamarans of 100 people bobbing around in the water wearing matching life jackets....) Also the staff don’t expect tips or linger around for tips, which is so rare at a hotel. Finally when we cleared our bill at the end of our stay, there was no service charge added.
3. The evening entertainment is not classy not tacky. We have stayed at hotels with karaoke, magicians (80's style complete with cape and "assistant in a box") and found it was a bit naff for our liking. The barbeque nights are accompanied by live music by the pool - very beautiful and atmospheric at night. We enjoyed the steel drums, especially the lively duo who played a mixture of bob marley and modern songs!
4. The gym is 24 hours (big thumbs up) and this was very appreciated. Air con. Two treadmills, one bike, crosstrainer, weights machine, mats and some free weights.
5. The food is delicious. All fish is chargrilled on the BBQ - i ate fish every day as a result! Enjoyed the evening a la carte menu which was tasty and classy. As for the bbq - watch out for the pork ribs on BBQ night - they are heavenly! A word of warning, as mentioned in a previous trip advisor post which i read before going on holiday - you will put on a few pounds here! The food is tasty and we ate healthily (lots of veg options, fish, rice, soups) - however the food is so good it is impossible to stick to just one course!
6. The tapwater is drinkable in Barbados (saving a fortune on bottled water)
Now every holiday has it's "negatives".... i am trying very hard to think of some and this is all I can come up with.
Both cross-trainers in the gym feel a bit unsturdy compared to the ones I am used to. One also cut out part way through use (resistance reset to 0 after a few seconds) as i think the battery was dead.
I ordered soft boiled eggs for breakfast on a number of occasions but only once did they arrive soft boiled (the rest of the time they were hard boiled).
The wifi in our room wasn’t very good at kept cutting out. I understand an engineer was called but it didn’t really rectify the problem. Wifi in the communal areas was good.
As petty as that sounds –the only negatives I can think of! Not bad eh!
We have recommended our friends to Sugar Cane and I am sure we will be back to visit too!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa is graciously located on the North West Coast & Caribbean side of the Island Barbados. This 4 star deluxe Boutique Hotel is set upon a hilltop and has a charming Mediterranean architecture amongst tranquil and tropical ambiance. The Hotel & Spa is known for its warm hospitality, delivery of outstanding staff, service, and facilities in a casual setting. The 45 all-suite Hotel boasts one of the islands leading spa’s, two restaurants and bars, two swimming pools, a guest lounge, gym, art gallery, souvenir shop, squash court, and complimentary shuttle service amongst many more. Sugar Cane Club only accepts teenagers from ages 14 years and up, and no children ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, Regatta Hotels, Despegar.com, Expedia and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel Saint Peter
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel And Spa
- Sugar Cane Hotel
- Sugar Cane Saint Peter
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa Barbados/Saint Peter Parish