We have just returned from a wonderful relaxing holiday at the Sugar Cane Club during March. We stayed in a garden view room overlooking the gully. I do have a couple of criticisms regarding the room, the first being the room was quite dark and secondly the plumbing in the bathroom was very erratic with the shower going from freezing to scorching hot in an instant. My husbands main problem was not being able to run a sink of hot water to have a wet shave which is ridiculous. He improvised instead and used a bowl from the kitchen. This is an issue in all of the rooms. We also had a problem with a broken window in the kitchen and the fridge not working on arrival. I did have to speak to reception twice before these issues were sorted.
The grounds are lovely and well maintained. The sprinklers coming on at 3am were an issue and not necessary considering it rained most mornings during our stay. It is delightful to see the monkeys in the grounds, however the cockerels seemed to cause a problem with some guests crowing at 4am. I did not find this a problem but only because I live near a farm in the UK so I am used to this!
You must take advantage of the gully walk with Rodney (he certainly provides an interesting nature walk) and is lovely to talk to. The swimming with turtles which is provided by the hotel is also a wonderful experience not to be missed.
The majority of the staff are an absolute pleasure and cannot do enough for you. In particular Sade who was always smiling despite being run off her feet in the restaurant and Neil who taught me how to make wonderful lime dacquiris.
My tip is to make sure you eat early particularly on the a la carte nights. We ate once at the 8.30 sitting and watched the waiting staff come out of the kitchen and go straight back in with the orders. On this particular night none of the guests received the correct meal and we were not offered a dessert. For some reason the Spa Manager was working in the restaurant although she only seemed capable of escorting people to their tables and spent the rest of the time chatting to her favoured guests leaving the waiting staff to rush around. Drinks service can also be slow some evenings. No wonder Roy is often in a bad mood when he is left struggling to serve drinks on his own at 60 years old!
I cannot fault the food at the SCC. I put on half a stone (fortunately it has come off quickly) due to the excellent choice and quality of food available and I am a very fussy eater.
Would I return again? The honest answer is I am not sure as the world is a big place and we have already seen all Barbados has to offer. For a week just chilling I possibly would return as we do not like being in a hotel with children, however Couples are opening a new hotel in the next few months so I would also watch reviews for this hotel.
However if you are looking for a relaxing holiday, with good food and excellent service this is the place for you.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel And Spa
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel Saint Peter
- Sugar Cane Hotel
- Sugar Cane Saint Peter
- Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa Barbados/Saint Peter Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa is graciously located on the North West Coast & Caribbean side of the Island Barbados. This 4 star deluxe Boutique Hotel is set upon a hilltop and has a charming Mediterranean architecture amongst tranquil and tropical ambiance. The Hotel & Spa is known for its warm hospitality, delivery of outstanding staff, service, and facilities in a casual setting. The 45 all-suite Hotel boasts one of the islands leading spa’s, two restaurants and bars, two swimming pools, a guest lounge, gym, art gallery, souvenir shop, squash court, and complimentary shuttle service amongst many more. Sugar Cane Club only accepts teenagers from ages 14 years and up, and no children ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Regatta Hotels, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Sugar Cane Club Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.