I booked a 4 night stay at this hotel for my 11 year old son & myself for a few days relaxation at the end of a holiday visiting friends and gamewatching.. We flew into Ukunda from Nairobi which is delightfully quick compared with travelling from Mombasa - just 15 minutes from the airstrip to the hotel, with the added bonus from my son's point of view of seeing light aircraft landing & taking off from the tiny airport.
The hotel was exactly what we wanted. 2 storey thatched cottages set amongst mature trees in well tended grounds teeming with monkeys - both vervet and colubus- birds & lizards. Nice pools with swim up bar, great beach frontage with plenty of shade from palm trees & sun shades. Gorgeous white sand beach and turquoise sea etc. The next door hotel is owned by the same group so we really had 2 sets of facilities for the price of one, though they seemed to dish up more or less the same menu in both restuarants. Our hotel was the quieter one with the bulk of "animation" & activities happening at the neighbouring hotel. This was perfect as I could retreat to one of the other pools for some peace & quiet. There was lots of active stuff on offer which kept my 11 year old busy a lot of the day: water polo, water volleyball, beach volleyball, football etc. Also the Kenyan animation team were very ready to play table tennis, pool etc which was much appreciated. There were evening shows too though we only saw one of these - a troupe of acrobats.
The food and drink available on the all inclusive rate was very acceptable: buffets for all meals with a good range for breakfast including eggs cooked to order, several choices of hot meal for lunch /dinner including vegetarian & fish and plenty of salads. A snack bar at the neighbouring hotel served burgers & chips at lunchtime which my son enjoyed. Cakes & fruit were on offer through the afternoon so no reason to go hungry! Might have been a bit bored after 2 weeks but there was also an a la carte restaurant offering more choice, which I might have tried if we had stayed longer, plus lots of restaurants nearby.
The room was ok. Plenty of space, if slightly dated & dank in the bathroom. The only niggle - why not have sheets to fit the beds rather than using two sets of single sheets to make up a double bed? However everything else was fine - mosquito nets (though we hardly saw a mosquito), air conditioning & tea/coffee tray. And flowers sprinkled on our bed every day!
The weather was pretty good for the time of year. It rained on our first afternoon for a short while but other than that was in the upper 20s centigrade & sunny with the odd cloud & a pleasant breeze. The sea wasnt as calm and clear as I have seen it later in the year (the surf stirs up the fine sand) but was deliciously warm & perfect for swimming. The tide goes out a long way and you can wander out to look for sand crabs, starfish and sea anemones - almost certainly with an escort of helpful locals keen to sell you crafts, trips or other services! It is slightly annoying to be approached in this way every time you visit the beach - having said that the traders generally respond to a polite no thanks or promise to look another day - and after all they do have a living to make. I bought some kangas at a very reasonable price by remembering the trader's name & asking for her when I was ready to buy. There are various stalls selling crafts on the beach & some traders set out goods in the hotel in the evening, but do haggle - some of the initial prices quoted were so astronomical as to make me laugh!
Overall I thought the hotel was very good value for the price paid, set in a gorgeous location with a casual child-friendly atmosphere and plenty to do. The staff were all pleasant and helpful and very friendly and kind to my son, and to me as a woman on my own. I would definitely recommend it for a family break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Neptune Paradise Beach Resort & Spa is set in a beautiful tropical garden. The 92 rooms are in makuti roofed cottages bungalows with only 4 rooms per unit. This gives you a relaxing and quiet holiday. Restaurants and bars form a perfect match between hotel and nature and offer a real African atmosphere. The Resort is located at the South Coast at the famous Diani Beach. Mombasa town at ca. 40 km, Moi International Airport at ca. 45 km and the nearby Ukunda Airstrip is only ca. 8 km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Neptune Paradise Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sentido Neptune Paradise Hotel Diani
- Neptune Paradise Village Hotel
- Neptune Paradise Village Ukunda