“Excellent hotel in lovely surroundings” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea

Save Saved
You added Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea to your Saves list
Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Nazionale 137, 98039 Mazzaro, Taormina, Sicily, Italy   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Experiences
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mazzaro
New Zealand
“Excellent hotel in lovely surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is an excellent hotel on a quieter side of Taormina, overlooking a beautiful bay where there are little boats bobbing on the water. The hotel has a private swimming pool (gated) as well as a private beach (pebbles) with sun loungers laid out for the guests to use at both. There is a lovely patio bar overlooking the water and when the weather is suitable, meals are served on the adjoining terrace, which also overlooks the water. The hotel is situated in large grounds with beautiful gardens. The rooms are very well supplied with everything you could wish for and very clean and comfortable, with marble bathrooms and some with private terraces. The service is excellent in all areas of the hotel. The breakfast spread would satisfy the hungriest man alive and other cuisine is excellent. It is five minute walk to the funicular which takes you up to the main part of the town. There is also a courtesy bus running up to the town at regular intervals for those who would rather use this means of transport. The hotel has a sister hotel in the upper part of town where one can charge drinks and meals to your Sant'Andrea room tab. Vehicular entry to the hotel grounds is restricted to taxis. It is a lovely spot and a superb hotel and I would not hesitate to recommend it for anyone travelling to Sicily.

Room Tip: I had a room in the annexe which seemed to be a bit bigger than some rooms that others in my group h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerVSA, Direttore at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the hotel’s location ideal!

It is fantastic to learn that Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea has left a lasting impression with you.

Everyone takes great pride in their high level of service and attention to detail " in all areas of the hotel".

Thank you for recommending us to fellow TripAdvisor users.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Giovanni Nastasi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Booking
I found on the website that they had a 3rd night free offer, half board included. I had my travel agent book us a Superior Jr. Suite, which with the third night free worked out at 495 euros a night.
Pre-Arrival
I emailed the hotel prior to arrival, but did not hear back from them for some time. I later discovered that it was because the hotel was closed until April 15th. They did email me back around April 12th or so, prior to the hotel opening. I asked if they could send me copies of the restaurant and spa menus, but they apparently had not quite prepared them for PDF form. I never did receive copies before arrival. Of note, on their website they advertised a complimentary boat tour each day. However, upon asking the concierge they informed me (actually rather unapologetically) that the boat tours did not start until the 15th of May. They did, offer me some rather pricey excursions through their own hotel boat....

Arrival
We arrived at CTA from MXP via LH (Italy). CTA is a fairly small airport, but fairly busy. I had booked a transfer with New Travel Services (65 Euro, Mercedes E Class), who was waiting patiently for our arrival. It was about 50 minutes from the airport to the hotel.

Location
THe hotel is located at one end of Mazarro beach, which affords itself some tranquility and privacy from the rest of the beach. Mazarro beach is connected by cable car to Taormina, which ran every 15 minutes until I think midnight. I like the beachside location because it was away from the bustle and tourism of Taormina itself. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service to its sister hotel, the Grand Hotel Timeo, which is well located next to the Greco Roman Theater.

Arrival/Check-in
We were greeted by a doorman as our car pulled in, who asked our name and helped with the luggage. He escorted us to the front desk, stating that "Mr and Mrs TDW to check in". Check in was quick, the usual passport formalities for Italian hotels, but that was it. We were not asked for a credit card or anything. They offered a welcome letter from our travel agent and one from the general manager, and noted that they had upgraded us to one of their exclusive suites. There was no mention of Virtuoso benefits. A tour of the hotel was offered and accepted, which was quite nice. We were then led to our room where our luggage awaited, as well as welcome treats and a bottle of sparkling (prosecco? spumante? I forget)

Room
I counted this as a 4 category upgrade, looking at their website. We were upgraded to an exclusive suite; it even had a name (which I forget).The picture here is of the suite we stayed in. It was located on one of the ends, overlooking the outdoor bar/restaurant area and the beach and sea. A very expansive view indeed! Unfortunately at night, we picked up noise from the piano bar, which could be quite loud. It had a large terrace, containing sun loungers and a seating area covered with a gazebo. I enjoyed reading in the morning on the terrace. The suite also had a nice sitting area, with a full size couch and coffee table, as well as a TV/mini bar unit. The bathroom was curiously located off of the living room, containing a dual vanity, separate tub, bidet, toilet, and rainfall shower. Of note the shower stall had a rather cheap looking plastic framed door and plastic pan. Given the amount of marble used in the bathroom, I'm not sure why the treatment didn't extend to the floor of the shower. In addition, I think a frameless glass shower door would have been more appropriate. The bedroom was nice size, with a separate walk in closet that was the size of most bathrooms in Europe. An iPod dock connected to a sound system that played throughout the suite. There was also an exit to the terrace, as well as a balcony. The king bed was quite comfy and more than enough pillows were provided.

Food and Beverage
Given that we were on half board, we had lots of opportunities to try the food. It was mostly good. Things that stood out as great were the chocolate gelato (the best we had in Italy) and the mozarella cheese (very very nice and fresh). Given that we were on the sea, there were a lot of seafood choices. Unfortunately, we aren't huge seafood fans so we only sampled one or two seafood items. The fish of the day always looked excellent though. For the half board, most of the items on the menu were included except for the lobster which required a supplement. The difference in room rates per day for half board vs non was 70 euros, and given the prices I think that that was a good deal. Starters were typically 12-16 euros, Entrees (or mains) about 28-35 and desserts were 10 euros. The food was good, but if it hadn't ben half board, I would not imagine eating there. It was quite pricey, even by European standards. A bottle of water was typically 6 euros (ouch! and nobody drinks tap it Italy) and our wine by the glass was about 13 euros. One night, I decided to order a glass of scotch: 1960 Stratisla which was one the menu for 22 euros. I thought I was getting a deal until I received the pour.. let's just say it probably worked out to about 3 euros a sip... Our bill for dinner was typically about 50-60 euros, which was only for wine and water... Breakfast was a nice spread of fruit, cold cuts, cheeses, pastries, with options available cooked to order as well. There was only one supplement for breakfast: a caviar/champagne breakfast. Either of the half board options can be taken in the room as well.

Spa/Fitness
No fitness was taken by either of us, but the fitness center appeared to be adequate. 3-4 cardio machines and a set of weights. I never saw anyone in there. They also note that their sister hotel's fitness center is larger and available to use as well. We both had massages which were quite nice. Good pressure. 110 euros for 50 minutes.

Beach/Pool
The beach was private and appeared well tended. It was not a fine grained sand beach but I did see the attendants groom it each morning. It appears to get the most sun in the morning hours and by afternoon the shade has taken over completely. Available further down the beach are excursion boats, which are quite nice. 25 euros/person gets a 50 minute trip around the area, including a visit to the grotta azzura... The pool is where we spend our time, and I can imagine that during peak season lounger space is scarce. There were probably 12-16 loungers present, with most of them occupied throughout the afternoon (the pool did receive afternoon sun). My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the infinity pool, which although small was heated to a perfect temperature. The view was amazing...

Check out

Easy. Our bill did contain the Virtuoso hotel credit, which was pointed out.

Best for last! We were always greeted by name. On our second day there, at breakfast, one of the waiters who greeted me with "Hello Mr. TDW and happy birthday as well." I was shocked to say the least. We also received a cake as well later that day and a special dessert at dinner. Everyone was very friendly. One night we had room service for dinner and I think the language barrier resulted in an incorrect dish, which was apologetically replaced quite quickly. One slightly negative was the noise from the piano bar. Two nights we called about it, and the complaint was addressed appropriately. In addition, the general manager apologized as well as adjusting our bill a bit.

Conclusion
A very nice, wonderful stay. A little noise from the bar, so I would recommend asking for a room away from the bar. All and all the positives much outweigh the negatives.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our week at Villa Sant'Andrea in June 2013 was marred by the very disappointing quality of the food. The hotel had been very sensitively renovated prior to our stay and the room we were allocated was spacious and well appointed overlooking the bay. The staff could not have been more willing and charming and the gardens are lovely, stretching some one quarter around the bay of Taormina Mare. However, the quality of the food was sadly disappointing, particularly for a hotel pricing itself amongst some of the most expensive in Italy and belonging to such a prestigious group. After several poor quality dinners and lunches, we gave up eating at the hotel and instead took the courtesy car to Taormina Town. The hotel could not even produce a buffet breakfast which anything like matched the hotel's opinion of itself and the prices charged. This was not an isolated view amongst the other guests we spoke to, who also resorted to eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: First floor and above facing the bay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerVSA, General Manager at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to review your experience of Villa Sant'Andrea.

Over the years, we have delighted guests with our combination of beachfront appeal and quality of food. I cannot stress enough how many guests we welcome back each year who come to stay with us, returning also for being pampered by our Executive Chef and his team.

We pride ourselves on the freshness of the catch of the day and if you had have made your thoughts clear to the maitre'd, we would have found the way to limit your disappointment. As you will see from previous reviews, the Oliviero restaurant has a TripAdvisor score of 94%.

It disappoints me that you were not able to appreciate the culinary experience at the restaurant However, I am pleased you enjoyed your time at the hotel so much and I will pass on your compliments to our staff so that they can appreciate what you like, so that they can deliver more of the same.

I hope you return to Taormina in the future so I can personally guarantee all your needs are met here in the Mazzarò Bay.

Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

A wonderful hotel with friendly service. The setting is magnificent with easy direct access to the sea. The food was wonderful with delightful local dishes to enjoy. Coffee granita with cream and a brioche is breakfast dessert. Fabulous.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful review and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea last August.

We can’t wait to open our gates again mid-April and we hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the close future.

Best wishes,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have been coming here for many many years. This hotel is a personal favorite of our family. The hotel, the service, the food and the staff is wonderful. Improvements has been made year by year by Orient-Express. Today all in all one of the best hotels in Italy.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea.

It is always lovely to welcome back old friends and to hear that they have enjoyed the renovations we have made to the hotel over the years.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel that you are in love with.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at the hotel at the end of June. The service was exceptional. The concierge and front desk staff, Martin and Marica in particular (but so many others as well that I hope I don't hurt any feelings by not naming everyone) took care of every detail to make our trip perfect! The airlines lost our luggage and it would have been days if we waited for the courier. Martin took care of it and had our bags in our room by noon. Spending the day by the beach was so perfect that we often didn't want to leave and so we kept switching around lunch and dinner reservations. I felt terrible to be so indecisive but it was never a problem..it was always handled with such kindness and efficiency. The room was lovely and spotless with a gorgeous view. I would highly recommend this hotel and only hope we have an opportunity to return very soon!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We truly thank you for your kind feedback and are happy that you so much enjoyed your stay with us.

We will be happy to share your words with the whole team and especially with the colleagues from our Front Desk ( Marica) and Concierge team ( Martin).

We are just about to open up our gates again for a new and exciting season 2014 and would be happy to welcoming you again in the close future.

In the meantime I send you my best regards,

Klosterneuburg, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We spent a wonderful week in this excellent hotel. Room, service and food were oustanding as was the service at the beach. Highlights are the super-friendly staff, the bar offering the best strawberry daiquiri (Claudio) we ever had and the entertainment by Carmello was fabulous.
Complementary shuttle to Taormina and Hotel Timeo.
Alltogether unforgettable days for us guests from Vienna...

Room Tip: beach view of course
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay at Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea.

It is always lovely to read that a guest has enjoyed every part of their stay from the décor in their room to the " super-friendly" team who took care of all their needs.

We will be happy to share your words with Claudio and Carmelo. They are both assets to our hotel.

We all hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Sicily!

With warmest wishes,

Been to Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea? Share your experiences!