“Fabulous hotel in beautiful location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
SPECIAL RATES
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Chemin Grenier
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel in beautiful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful location in the south of Mauritius around 45 minute drive from airport. I recommend flying overnight with BA from London as it is a 12 hour flight and this doesn't use up any precious daylight hours!

The hotel is stunning and you can see so much thought has gone into every single detail in the design and decor. The grounds are beautiful with lots of lush greenery and exotic flowers and trees. The hotel is situated on a picture perfect beach which you can go walking/jogging for miles. It seems safe too and I never had any problems while out walking alone during the daytime. There were always people about and the locals seemed friendly. You won't find any hawkers either which was great and no one bothers you.

The Indian Ocean was lovely and calm and a beautiful turquoise colour. The water close to the beach is actually a lagoon so very few waves and safe to swim in the cordoned off area in front of the junior suites.

Weather was perfect in my opinion! late 20's/early 30's for end of November when I was there. Lovely breeze most days which was refreshing. I experienced a few heavy downpours but mainly at night so didn't affect holiday at all. Sunset around 6.45pm.

Complimentary Wi fi available throughout resort including in suite but was a bit hit and miss particularly on the beach and signal sporadic in general. Library has two pc's guests can use with free online access.

Mainly French and German guests when I stayed here. Mainly couples as expected but some families with small children also. I wouldn't let the fact that kids were there put you off as the resort was so spread out you hardly noticed the kids most of the time plus I imagine the families had a pool villa so didnt need to hang out in the pool/beach area. The hotel offers a kids club too I noticed.

All Staff exceptionally friendly and efficient and seemed to aim to please at all times. Speak both French and English.
The beach staff were great and offer complimentary cleaning of sun glasses, bottles of water, bar service, towels etc and also a daily complimentary sorbet if you are lounging on the beach which was lovely!

There are the usual lounge hoggers here like you find in most resorts and I discovered most days you did have to get up at 8am in order to secure a lounger and parasol on a specific part of the beach. Otherwise you would always get one by the main pool.Main Pool was wonderful and the water very refreshing. Beautifully laid out.

Room
I stayed in a ocean front junior suite which was really lovely and spacious. Balcony directly overlooks beach. Large suite, Tv, DVD player, nespreso machine with complimentary capsules replaced every day, fridge, mini bar, flip flops and robes provided. Complimentary water replaced in room and available on beach daily.

Restaurant menu in Stars and Pebbles never changes. Becomes a little boring after a few nights and I was only there a week! They should think about offering nightly specials to add a little variety. In general however, the food was of very good quality and I ate lots of fresh local fish. There was an Indian menu also available.

The fish and rum shack is located on the beach over by the pool villa's and as far as I can tell only opens a couple of nights every week weather dependant. Only open once when I was there and I spent seven nights here. Again this was an additional charge if you wanted to attend and from memory think it was around £50 per person which I thought was v expensive and didn't sign up on that basis. I was staying on a half board basis which covered breakfast and dinner so it didn't make sense to then pay more for the privilege of attending the Rum Shack in my opinion.

The hotel offered other nights like this such as Thai Night and African Night in Stars and Pebbles restaurants but again all at additional costs similiar to above.
Breakfast was great and offered a really wide and extensive menu that you couldn't get bored with. You could order as much as you like. It was served from 7 to 11am which was ideal.
Alcohol v expensive as expected. Glass of wine circa £8.cocktails the same price. I suggest bring a few bottles of wine with you if you don't want to spend a fortune. Stars and Pebbles feature South African wines.
Hotel does offer room service at no extra charge which is good for evenings when you fancy a night in!

Activities/Spa
Hotel could offer a better activities schedule in my opinion and I understand from staff that they offer more in high season/christmas such as spin classes.There were no organised walks and jogs on beach offered during my stay despite being advertised on website which was disappointing. I was told the hotel was full and was under the impression this time of year was high season so not sure how the hotel define it.
Gym classes weren't great in my opinion and comprised mainly of 30 minute toning and stretching classes.The gym itself is small and basic but does the job as long as it doesn't get busy.

Tennis lessons v expensive compared to what I pay in London at around £45 for a lesson which I declined although would have loved to have had some lessons.

I did a bike ride one day to Gris Gris and Rochester Falls with the guide from the resort Ravin who was lovely and very informative about the local sights/culture etc.It was excellent and would highly recommend it.i got to see a bit of the island and some of the main attractions in the area. took around 3 hours and we did 20 km so a good workout. This was at an additional cost of £15 but worth it!

Spa is fabulous and set in a beautiful location in the grounds. Prices in line with Uk so don't expect treatments to be any cheaper. I had a couple of massages and a facial which were all really lovely and would throughly recommend.

Hatha Yoga is available every morning for free in the Spa area.Watch out for mossies in open air studio as I got eaten alive first time I attended as its on at 8.15am and I forgot to put on bug protection. Big mistake! Apart from this incident I didn't get bitten at all.

Early in morning and at sunset the beach is at its best and is lovely and peaceful.all you can hear are the waves. Unfortunately a couple of the afternoons I was at the beach, it was very busy with locals as it is not private to the hotel and everyone swims in the section that is cordoned off in front of the hotel so it gets really noisy and pretty much ruins the tranquility of the location in my opinion. I ended up moving to the main pool area on these days to get away from the noise which wasn't the end of the world and generally the beach was very peaceful. The main pool was further along the beach and always very quiet and chilled out. The pool at the Spa was lovely and peaceful too.

Overall
The Shanti Maurice is a beautiful hotel in a stunning location and the above points are really just minor things to be aware of so you can make the most of your holiday. I still highly recommend it.
One of the reasons I chose Shanti Maurice was because it appeared to tick the boxes for what i was looking for in terms of offering activities and gym classes etc so I could be equally as active and lazy. it was disappointing that this wasn't the case which I discovered on arrival and majority of activities were either not exactly what I had envisaged or they involved an additional charge where even group snorkelling with one of the staff on the hotel beach was charged for which I thought was a bit OTT!

I did not leave for the airport until 5.30pm on my last day as was flying back overnight with BA and the hotel were very accommodating in letting me have use of my suite until I left at no additional charge.
If you intend to get out and around the Island I would recommend you take Mauritian Rupees with you as is the local currency. Everything within the resort you can put on your room tab.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Guido F, General Manager at Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Pallison31,

Greetings from Shanti Maurice!

How nice your description is, from the starting line mentioning the location of the resort and a so harmonious facts about the beach and sea lagoon to the relation in regards to the offering in the restaurant, spa and general activities.

I am indeed pleased to learn that the level of service offered was great and my colleagues tried their best to please you genuinely via the true Mauritian hospitality.

Wishing to meet you here on your next visit and offer the same service.

Thank you again for your kind review and best regards

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Mauritius
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I brought my family and relatives for a drink and eventually to eat something. We are Mauritians and we were eight in total. I went to this place again as I experience a very good service few months ago. To be honest, I was very disappointed with the level of service at the bar. The Bar Wiater who came to take the order, messed up completely. I asked him if he could memorize our orders, as he did not take any note of it, he confidently said he used to. The orders took more than half an hour, as a results, we got the wrong drinks, and more another waiter came to take the order again, as they were confused at the bar. Finally, after a long time, we managed to get somehting to drink. We were left with our drinks, none of the waiters came to ask us if we would like to eat something, or propose us another drinks. My kids were very hungry, and we left with the children almost sleepy. I spoke to one of the Manager of the Restaurant, well the normal apology, in fact, I told him you are loosing business, and more loyalty business. I sincerely hope that we not giving such experience because we are Mauritians too, greetings and smile do not exist. Finally, we went to a close by hotel and we had what we were looking for. My advice to the Management, please keep an eye on your service, order taking, check satisfaction and upselling

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Bkarroo,

Greetings from Shanti Maurice!

I am concern to read your review and I make my priority to address this comments with my Team.

I am very apologetic for delivering a below par service to you and your family and I hope you can give us another chance to prove you that we care.

If you ever decide to come back please ask for me, Guido Farina, I have just joined the resort and I will be delighted to meet with you in person.

My best regards.

Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

we were recently at shanti maurice (in november for 6 nights) for our honeymoon. if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing and comfortable vacation it is the perfect location. hotel facilities are great, staff is very polite, friendly and helping. there are no disturbing crowds or loud music etc. perfect privacy, just the sound of waves breaking at the reef barrier and birds. we were at the spa only once and it was fine. food and drinks at the restaurants are very good, the only negative comment I can make is we were on bed and breakfast and extras were a little bit expensive but when you compare to your overall stay it is worth it. fish and rum shack barbeque is very nice, great food and a nice evening experience with traditional dancers and coctails in a beautiful atmosphere by the beach. shanti maurice is located at the southern part of mauritius where it is the most secluded part away from too many tourist attractions and crowded resorts. but if you also wish to see those you can easily rent a car from the conierge and drive around the island. we rented a car one day and drove by the shore to the capital city port louis. we also took a catamaran tour full day, both days we had a really nice time. and we spent the rest of our honeymoon just relaxing and enjoying ourselves at this beautiful resort. definitely recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ayse D,

Greetings from Shanti Maurice!

Is rewarding to me and to my Team to learn that you have enjoyed your honeymoon in our resort.

Thank you for sharing your experience with our reviewers in our trip advisor page, is our aim to make everyone experience and holiday a memorable one.

Hope to meet you soon back here in Shanti Maurice.

My best regards

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and me have stayed 10 days in november in this beautiful resort for our honeymoon.. It has been a great stay but there is as well room for improvment.
When we checked in we were told that the hotel is full and we can't get our upgrade which is actually advertised in their catalogue. Despite that we did not want to ruin our honeymoon by disussing it with the agent at the desk. when they took us to our room the agent mentioned if you would like to complain about the room you are welcome to talk to the Managment about it which we decided to do at a later stage. The room was good with a nice little garden overlooking the sea. All over the room was clean but it looks like its time for some refurbishment as it seems to be a bit used up already. Still nothing to let you down i know i'm very picky in these things. We went for dinner right after and i have to say the food was great and the service was friendly and professional, we had Breakfast lunch and dinner in this restaurant. Despite this if i would stay for more than 2 weeks i think i would have had a problem with the variety of food but for the time we stayed it was great. Unfortunatley for us The special Rum shack bbQ was canceld due to rain during our stay but that can happen. The Spa is just great a bit on the pricey side but its worth it.
The Beach is amazing and walking around the whole resort makes you feel total relaxed.
After 7 days of stay we decided to talk to the managment about the issue with the upgrade and went to the reception to ask for the GM but they told us he is in a meeting only to see 1 min later that he is sitting by himself in the bar smoking a cigarette. i guess that is more important than talking to your guests. After this we did not try to talk to him again. Its definetley worth it to spend your honeymoon or vacation there , its a great place with great staff,we will go back for our anniversary one day , despite the little flaws which happened .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Guido F, General Manager at Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Christine S,

Greetings from Shanti Maurice!

Thank you for posting your review in our Trip Advisor page.

I am concern reading about that your upgrade was did not materialize while you stayed here, we definitively wish to accommodate every commitment as sometime is based on availability.

I am not sure about the fact of asking to see the previous General Manager, however I am sorry that this matter was not taken care.

On another note is good to learn that your experience was positive overall, that you have enjoyed the resort settings, the food in particular.

I hope to have a chance to met you personally next time and do something about the small miss accrue on your last visit.

Warm regards

Genera Manager
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This must be one of the best hotels I've stayed in. Wonderful staff, very friendly, polite and service minded. And due to it's size (only about 44 rooms in total), you get the perfect intimate feeling, never crowdy, always a joy!

The food at the restaurants is decadent, very tasty, amnd super fresh with herbds and vegetables from their own garden. A la carte breakfast with lots of choices.

The junior suites are spacious, tastfully decorated, have great views over beach/sea, and with a nice garden/,mini lagoon at the backside.

All in all a fantastic hotel, with the perfect atmosphere, top notch and high end, but still with the personal and relaxed touch.

Great for couples, but also for families as they have a childrens club.

Room Tip: I think all suites are sea facing, but the ground floor ones have direct acces to the beach, whereas...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Guido F, General Manager at Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear kn1901,

Greetings from Shanti Maurice!

It is a great pleasure to learn that you had great time while staying in our resort, thank you so much for appreciating the amenities in particular the food and the specious room as well as the direct view to the sea.

We do hope to have you back soon in our resort.

My best regards

Flims, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

It's been a while since we stayed at the Shanti (April 12) and we can only tell you the best about this wonderful resort. First of all it is the people who make the difference! Duarte and his team made our 14 day stay an unforgetable experience - thank you very much again! We stayed at a Beach front Junior suite and the value for money is just great. Large Bedroom with front view to the sea - incredible marble bath with outdoor shower and a little veranda for privat breakfast in the morning.

The SPA is one of the best - if not the best we have ever been to (and we travel a lot). In terms of food, you have the choice between two restaurants (Indian and Cape Cuisine) as well as different theme evenings (don't miss the fish and rum shak as well as Grandma's kitchen). The quality as well as the presentation was always top and the chef (Austrian origin) will always prepare something which is not on the menu - on request.

Overall - an experience which should not be missed and we will definately go back!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear YandUG,

Greetings form Shanti Maurice!

Thank you for sharing you comments in our Trip Advisor page.

My Team and I are delighted that you have find our resort suitable to your liking during your 14 nights stay.

Is rewarding for us to learn that the Junior Suite along with the food and the Spa were the highlights of your stay without forgetting the extra touches given by Duarte and his Team.

I hope to meet you soon on your next visit.

With best regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Lovely resort - fab rooms, great food in the restaurants and on the beach.
The Suites are amazing - large rooms with own pool and great views of the beach. The house salad is to die for. Great water sports for adults and kids- the team that ran it were very helpful. Also learnt to paint

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Alison J,

Greetings from Shanti Maurice!

Thank you for taking time to write a review in out Trip Advisor page.

I am glad that the overall experience was indeed great! From the food in the restaurant to the beach settings as well as the Suite allocated for your stay.

I do hope to have you back in our resort in the near future.

Warm regards

Guido Farina

Been to Shanti Maurice A Nira Resort? Share your experiences!