“Nice rooms, but not a 5 star Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Panwa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cape Panwa Hotel to your Saves list
Cape Panwa Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Mu 8, Sakdidej Road, Cape Panwa, Phuket 83000, Thailand   |
Offers & Announcements
THB4,500 (THB)
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Cape Panwa
London, United Kingdom
“Nice rooms, but not a 5 star Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

After much internet research, the CapePanwa looked like an excellent hotel in Phuket, away from the hustle and bustle of Patong. We arrived late at night, and were taken to one of the hotels new junior suites, which like the pictures were very nice and new, although a few details spoilt the room such as a missing ceiling tile in the bathroom, and bits of timber that had fallen of the wall in the balcony. The next day we had breakfast, and was greeted by a very unfriendly waitress with an attitude problem, the food at breakfast was fairly good, although the service was extremely poor. We never had dinner at the hotel, but the rest of the staff we encountered were mostly friendly. The beach is really small and when the tide is out is un swimable due to the amount of rocks, the rest of the area around capepanwa doesn't seem to have too much going for it apart from the Phuket Aquarium. All round, the resort reminded me of an all inclusive Holiday Inn that really could be anywhere in the world. There are alot of families, and not many young couples.

Room Tip: Go for one of the junior suites or capepanwa suites which are the newest at the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Cape Panwa Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
The Cape Panwa Hotel, Phuket, has shared your feedback with our team and would note that the star rating is not self awarded but based on an annual survey of travellers. We apologise for the service received during breakfast and would welcome further feedback at gm@capepanwa.com. In our continuing efforts to improve service levels we have welcomed a new manager to oversee Café Andaman. Thank you again for your review.

1,348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Considering that this was fourth stay with this particular hotel group, we were treated like first timers. On asking the management about this they informed us that they do not have the ability to track cross-group bookings, IMO this is something that needs to be addressed in the future.

The Cape Panwa is supposed to be a 5 star establishment, but falls way short of this! Generally the staff looked like they didn't want/need to be there, we did not receive the typical Thai greeting once in our 8 night stay.

The location of this hotel is ideal if you want to stay at the hotel and relax by the beach, you can also swim in the sea and feel safe. (This is a rarity at this time of year, as on the West coast of Thailand they have stong tidal systems and rip tides). The hotel has two pools, one by the beachfront and one at the main hotel level. Again considering that the hotel is 5 star, it is the first time that we have ever been given "stained" towels to use at the pool /beach. This was not a one off and it seemed that every time you got new towels 1 out of 4 would be stained.

Now to the FOOD: My wife traditionally loves the breakfasts that are offered in Asia; she tries all types of food, from the thai soups/rice/international styles. However the breakfast at this hotel was the WORST that we have ever encountered is Asia. If you also consider that we had just come from their sister hotel in Khao Lak, where the food was all excellent. I now move on to my speciality "Tenderloin," I have enjoyed eating tenderloin whenever I visit Asia its usually imported from either Australia or Japan (Kobe). I tried tenderloin twice at the Cape Panwa Hotel and on both occasions it was uneatable. On the second occasion I ate at the Top Of The Reef restaurant, this is the hotels flagship restaurant. The staff were aware that I was there specifically to eat Fillet Steak (tenderloin) and I was immediately given a table, my anticipation was high and I couldn't wait to taste a nice bit of steak. However, as soon as I took my first bite it became apparent that this was not good at all. I immediately complained to the duty manager and when I explained that the steak was substandard and did not compare to the steaks I had eaten in Khao Lak. He assured me that all the meat for the whole group were bought from the same supplier in Bangkok. I again reiterated that this was the second time I had steak at this hotel and both were terrible.

We would like to mention one member of staff Tim, we found him to be very approachable and extremely helpful.

Finally; We have noted that many of the positive reviews of this hotel seem to be done by travellers who are returning after multiple trips to the Cape Panwa Hotel. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you start to travel around Asia you will very quickly realise the demerits of this hotel. We feel that strongly about the failings of this hotel that we may never return to any of the groups hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
The Cape Panwa Hotel, Phuket, has shared your comments with the key department heads and thanks you for your review.
Our food and beverage offering, with 10 restaurants and bars to select from, has been a regular highlight of guests who stay at the hotel. We were sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. To clarify, our breakfasts are known for their variety of in-house baked breads and pastries, daily changes in western and eastern hot dishes, cold cuts, cheese, fresh fruits, an egg station and a pancake station, whilst the steak night receives positive comments as to the high standard of ingredients from guests and is our most popular themed diner.
We are pleased to advise a policy is in place to remove old towels from service. Thank you for your mention of helpful staff, by name, and this has been shared with them.
Many thanks again, the feedback is useful in our continuing efforts to provide enjoyable and pleasant stays for all of our guests all the time.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I spent two weeks here in April 2013. We had a great relaxing holiday having upgraded from the sister hotel the Kantary Bay, where we had spent the previous two Easter Holidays.
Our room (a Junior Suite) was very spacious with the largest double bed that I've ever seen!
The room was well equipped with a large flatscreen TV and a very useful hifi which I used for my ipod. It had a balcony with a great view over Kantary Bay (in the distance!) and with a comfortable double sunbed. The bathroom was also well equipped with two washbowls, a nice shower and bath.
The room was cleaned everyday and was spotless.
The restaurants aren't cheap but they are very good. The Top of the Reef restaurant was really nice, great food with great service in a great atmosphere.
The Andeman restaurant provided great breakfasts and evening meals. We especially enjoyed their Steak nights and having the live band was a nice touch.
The hotel put a great deal of effort into the Songkran celebrations for the guests and their beachside evening buffets were wonderful. Last year the outdoor Songkran evening buffet was rained off with a spectacular storm but fortunately this year it stayed dry!!
The hotel has a lovely private beach which they clean everyday. There is a catamaran and a couple of canoes for guests to use. There is also a daily boat service to the nearby Coral Island resort which makes for a good day out. The trip also includes time to snorkel off the boat in a sheltered bay and it is well worth the effort.
The coconut grove next to the beach is excellent, with plenty of good sunbeds, freshly laundered towels, a great lunch/snack bar and a delightful cliff lift/ tram to ease the short walk up the hillside back to the main hotel after a hard day working out on the sunbeds!!
The hotel also offers a free shuttle bus which takes you up and over the steep road and down to the sister Kantary Bay hotel on the otherside of the hill. There are some great little local restaurants there and on the road back to Cape Panwa hotel. Also plenty of massage rooms which my wife frequented every single day...so they must be good!!
The location of Cape Panwa is on the extreme South Easterly tip of Phuket, so it is a little out of the way for the livelier beaches on the West coast. You can take a taxi to the West coast beaches, Nai Harn and the Kata beaches are about 45 minutes to an hour away by taxi. Karon is a little further. However, Cape Panwa is ideal for those of us who don't want the lively nightlife areas of Phuket....if you want those ... go somewhere else a bit nearer!!
All in all we had a great holiday...as we did the two previous years we had at the Kantary Bay Hotel.
Was the upgrade worth it? Well yes and no! We loved Kantary Bay for it's friendliness, The Cape Panwa Hotel, being much larger didn't appear to us to be so friendly, but for the location being right next to the private beach, for the nearness of the better restaurants and for the better quality room I would say yes it was worth the extra cost.
We would certainly have no qualms whatsoever about booking up again for next year.

Lots of guests we spoke to come back year after year

Room Tip: I can't compare rooms here as I've only experienced one.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Cape Panwa Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
The Cape Panwa Hotel, Phuket, looks forward to your chilling out with us again next year and thanks you for your descriptive and informative review of your recent stay with us, and comparison with our nearby sister property, which you have also stayed at. This should be helpful to other readers planning a stay in Phuket. Thank you for your positive endorsement and feedback.
dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I came to this hotel with 2 other girlfriends. Everyday we had an excursion planned so we didn't spend too much time around the hotel but the suite was very nice. Food was also delicious, Pool was big, and there's a private beach nearby. All in all, it was a great hotel.
Just couple of things.
1. Not all the staff speak english. Odd, considering it's a 5 star hotel.
2. My friends and I ordered and paid for a dvd of our day trip to Similan Islands. We were told our dvd will be at the hotel reception 10am the day after. To our surprise, the dvd hadn't arrived yet and we started getting worried. We had the receptionist call the tour agency, but the calls weren't going through. Then one of the bell boys came up to us and asked us what's going on. We explained and he responded with
"Well, you shouldn't have paid them upfront because they might not bring the dvd."
I was fine till then, but this comment pissed me off. I told him
"Well, since this day trip was with a company that your concierge recommended, tell me, why would a 5 star hotel recommend an agency that robs your customers money."
In the end we got the agency on the phone and the dvd came at 1pm, but the last thing the bell boy said to us was
"You should leave for the airport early because you don't want to be there late and have to whine like today."
EXCUSE ME?!?! The only reason we started "getting worried" was because the bell boy told us that the tour company probably robbed us of our dvd fare. If he hadn't said such things we would've gotten through to the agency and have this problem sorted. Thanks for sticking your nose in other people's business then messing it up.
3. The breakfast is pretty nice. However there are birds everywhere trying to pick food off of the buffet or a plate someone left behind, etc.
4. They only have the really strong thai coffee.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Cape Panwa Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
The Cape Panwa Hotel, Phuket, wishes to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your positive feedback on the spacious rooms and the private beach is appreciated. Regarding your comments, we will be working on staff English training during the upcoming low season and we please note have discussed and shared your feedback regarding the excursion and communication with staff. Thanks for the feedback and we hope to welcome you and your friends back again.
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My friends and I had such a lovely stay at the Cape Panwa hotel! We were there for two nights over the weekend, and the first night I stayed in the Cape Suite, which was really spacious and well-designed. As a female traveler, I LOVED the walk-in closet and the separate vanity table so that I didn’t have to get dressed in the bathroom. The room also gets tons of light, and the bed was extremely comfortable.

The second night, four of us moved to the Absolute Suite, which was just BREATHTAKING. The Suite is situated at the top of the hill for a 360 degree vista, and therefore we were treated with spectacular views no matter where we were: the two bedrooms, the living room, the dining area, or the pool. The private pool was really sizable and was great for swimming laps or just hanging out. We were also shown a private spa suite, which we (unfortunately) did not use. Next time!

Because of how great the Absolute Suite was, we basically did not want to leave the premise at all! And we really didn’t have to, since the suite came with a personal butler who catered to our every need (so for us, that meant basically food and drinks ☺). Breakfast was served in the Suite where a chef actually cooked fresh pancakes and eggs for us to order.

While our stay was undoubtedly luxurious, what I loved about the hotel was that it also has a nice relaxing atmosphere that makes it feel unpretentious. All the staff was really friendly and helpful. Our overall experience at Cape Panwa was just amazing, and we cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
The Cape Panwa Hotel, Phuket, is waiting to welcome you and your friends back again as soon as possible. Your favourable commentary is appreciated and your description of our new Absolute Suite will help other holiday makers who are looking for an affordable private retreat in Phuket. Thank you for your positive review.
Torquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

It's an hours drive from the airport. Doesn't sound much I know, but we were both hot and tired when we arrived at The Cape Panwa Hotel.
Check-in was all a bit rushed and there was no refreshing cordial or cooling towel to welcome us. (A voucher for 2 free drinks at the bar didn't really do it!)
Booked into room L113 we were led down this corridor, down that flight of stairs around this block, and along another long corridor to our room. As with check-in, all a bit of a rush.
As soon as we were shown in, the overpowering smell of mothballs hit. The A/C had not been on and the room was hot and sticky already. It was well decorated and quite well equipped, including a flat screen TV. It was however stale and not very clean, a 1st for me in Thailand.
The view, over the gardens was OK, out over the beach area and out to sea. But the overall feeling of being in the midst of so many other rooms didn't make us feel very settled. So much so that I was determined not to stay at this hotel.
We contacted reception and explained how unhappy we were, I must say the duty manager was very helpful, and having listened to our comments offered to show us some different rooms.
The 1st two, although closer to the restaurant and reception were still unsuitable, then he showed us to a Cape Signature Suite, this was an up-grade from our original room, and after a bit of bartering we agreed to stay.
Now, this is a room! L shaped, with huge panoramic windows overlooking the bay. Well equipped, big sofas, TV, music/DVD system, kitchen, separate toilet and double bathroom. Oh, and the biggest bed I have ever seen. "Room for four" I hopefully suggested to my wife! (Only joking,)
Outside on the veranda was another daybed, chairs and lastly, frankly a rather manky and worn out jacuzi. Although pleasant we could not use the veranda for most of the day as there was no shade at all, a parasol would have helped, or, get rid of that disgusting jacuzzi and put up an awning and swing seat instead.
All was well until next morning when we fancied a swim before breakfast, the pool opens at seven, and at eight, when we arrived the pool guy was busy cleaning it, no towels were ready, however the pool guy quickly produced some freshly laundered ones as soon as we asked. I say freshly laundered but they were old, threadbare and worn. I really didn't want to use them. The pool, although nice and clean was once again in need of repair, with cracked and missing tiles, chipped and rusty steps/light fittings. (Can you see where this is going?)
That evening we booked onto the shuttle bus to visit Central Festival shopping mall. Very reasonable at 200 Baht return. The driver was very courteous and friendly to us as we boarded and off we sailed. Now, I drive for a living, and this was not our first time in Thailand so we are used to the Thai driving style. This guy was in a class all of his own. From the off very aggressive and bullying of slower road users. Then overtaking on a blind hill and jumping a very red light, almost taking out a scooter.
Another problem was with the spa, it looked wonderful, and was, if you can get an appointment, for four of our eight days, we were unable to book due to staff shortages.
On the 3rd night we were woken by the A/C giving up the ghost. I was impressed by reception being open, speaking really good English and dispatching an engineer within about ten minutes !
Thankfully, he managed to fix the A/C in about half an hour and we went back to sleep..
We raised our concerns with the management, they were very sorry about the driver and our other complaints, waiving the upgrade fee and promising to get back to us concerning the lack of spa availability (he never did, although we saw him around a couple of times!)
On the plus side, the food was great and very reasonably priced, although breakfast was a bit limited. Also, we loved the house band who played every evening in the Anderman restaurant.
All in all, this must have been a lovely hotel twenty years ago, now though, even with the Cape signature suite I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Go for a Cape signature suite .(I.E. roomE301)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The Cape Panwa Hotel, Phuket, thanks you for your feedback. To clarify, it is now standard to receive a cold towel on arrival, and we are in the process of introducing new pool towels. Please note that the spa is not short of staff but requires prior booking as just “dropping by” often means the service is already fully booked. All of the concerns expressed have been shared with our team. Thank you again for your review and if I can be of further assistance please contact me directly at gm@capepanwa.com.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My fiancée and I have just spent 15 days at Cape Panwa-Phuket and had the most amazing experience!! This was our first trip to Thailand and I will openly admit that after reading mixed reviews about the hotel we were unsure about what to expect. I cant praise this hotel enough. We couldn't have asked for any thing more perfect. The get away we both needed to re-charge our batteries! We stayed in room R213 a beautiful quite room that over looked the beach. The bed was to die for- snug and comfy!! I think I have the best 15 nights sleep in that bed, heaven!!! The Buffet Breakfast was superb with a wide range to choose from! All the staff were brilliant from the moment we checked in till we checked out, I honestly can not fault them!!! All the staff can speak English and will help with your every need!!. We spent time at the beach and beside the pool-indulge and relax in heaven! Free towel usage is available every day which is a bonus as you can save room in your case for more clothing etc. Cape Spa- I recommend this facility to all guests!! We both had a couples Indian head massage- 70mins to die for from start to finish!! 5 star plus treatments. We booked trips within the hotel- Phuket Fantasea and phi phi, both slightly pricey compared to the tour booths located outside the hotel and some may say we got ripped off but we were looked after very well and defiantly every penny worth spent (you pay for what you get). There are a few local restaurants near the hotel, I think we tried them all to be fair and they were all fab!! The hotel offers a shuttle bus to Patong- excellent night life, bars and restaurants we had three fun packed nights there! Free wifi spots are located around the hotel- fab for catching up with those at home etc!!. There is so much more I would write about but I think your all get the drift. A hotel and location to die for! :) Excellent staff and a perfect Thai experience

• Stayed April 2013
Kasemkij_Group, General Manager at Cape Panwa Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
The Cape Panwa Hotel, Phuket, is very pleased to learn that your choice of a 15 night stay with us, was ‘amazing’ and ‘blissful.’ Thank you for your positive feedback on our property, our friendly staff, our Buffet Breakfast, your accommodations, and the general positive ambiance of a stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Cape Panwa Hotel? Share your experiences!