“Holiday/Honeymoon of a lifetime!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket

Save Saved
You added The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket to your Saves list
The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   32 Moo 5 | Paklok, Thalang, Phuket 83110, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ko Nakha Yai
Newtown, United Kingdom
“Holiday/Honeymoon of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We recently returned from a 7 night stay on the Naka Island and I was so impressed that I have decided to join tripadvisor so that I can write a review!

We booked our stay on Naka Island for our honeymoon, and I can honestly say that it is the perfect location if you are looking for seclusion, luxury, relaxation and a bit of romance.

We travelled the morning after our wedding and were understandably tired by the time we arrived at the resort. But any feeling of tiredness were soon forgotten thanks to the swift speedboat transfer and the warm welcome we recieved. The staff who welcomed us to the resort and took us for breakfast while the finishing touches were put to our villa were superb, and this level of customer service continued throughout our stay. Most tripadvisor reviews make reference to the excellent staff, and I am going to do the same, because they really are excellent, and there is a real sincerity about their warmth, kindness and attention to detail. My wife celebrated her birthday during the honeymoon, and the staff went the extra mile to ensure that she enjoyed her day.

The villa we stayed in (beach front, pool villa) was AMAZING! The villas are tastefully decorated and equiped with up-to-date amenities. The standard of room servicing is also excellent, the housekeeping staff were discrete and always made the villa look as good as it did when we first arrived.

If you are staying, please visit the spa, we had several excellent treatments, and again, the spa staff are lovely.

The food on the island was also very impressive, we took advantage of the themed buffet nights at the Tonsai, which are good value for money and allow you to sample a wide variety of cuisines. The Head Chef Ian is doing an excellent job and is a credit to the resort. I would also recommend going to watch the sunset from the Z bar - awesome. And the coctails are also very good, I would recommend the mango mojito.

If you are looking for a honeymoon destination - look no further! This really is paradise. If its not your honeymoon, find another reason to visit this beautiful island, you won't be dissapointed.

Thank you to everyone at Naka Island who made our stay so special.

Room Tip: Villa 66 - Beach Front Pool Villa
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Samuel L,

Thank you for such a wonderful review following your Honeymoon stay at The Naka Island Resort & Spa, Phuket.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your beautiful and private Beach Front Pool Villa, the beautiful sunsets and cocktails at Z-Bar, and your dining experiences in our restaurants. Our Executive Chef Ian enjoyed reading your review and asked me to pass on to you his thanks for your recognition of his fine food quality and wide choice of cuisines.

Your kind words complimenting our Housekeeping Staff and our Ambassadors are warmly welcomed and will be shared with the entire Naka Island Team.

We look forward to having the opportunity to provide another memorable experience when you next visit The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket.

Erich Friedl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night getaway trip to The Naka Island Resort and wanted to share a review of the place as my wife and I had a wonderful getaway to this secluded island resort.

The magic happens right when you get to Ao Por bay as you are whisked away by a well-maintained speedboat from the main island of Phuket to Naka Island. I unfortunately fractured my foot the night before my travels, but the staff provided thoughtful assistance right from the start. Upon exiting the boat, a staff had a sincere outreached arm for me to steady myself on. Upon entering the buggy at the jetty, a young Korean lady staff immediately offered to bring a crutch or walking stick over to my villa and made it very clear that there is a 24hr buggy service available so I will not need to walk to any destination if I choose not to.

Check in was seamlessly carried out in our villa and she gave my wife the grand tour around the room. Yes the restroom and shower area is "kooky" as some reviews have stated, but it was charming! The area is still within your villa, but it is located at the back and had a wonderful outdoorsy feel to it. You are after all on a secluded island, and this added to the natural charm of things. I had a broken foot, and it wasn't much inconvenience to go to the toilet in the night, just make sure to leave a light or two on.

The resort has 2 restaurants and 1 bar. The Grill and Tonsai restaurants serve amazing food. Yes it is a little pricey, but it is on par, or even slightly cheaper than most 5 star luxury resorts. I think people feel that it is pricier than it really is because there isn't much choice but to eat at either restaurant. If you feel that this will be the case for you, then I suggest you don't stay on a small island resort, and stay on main island of Phuket instead where you can have your pick of high-end all the way to street food. The surf and turf and rib eye steak was amazing at The Grill! The cocktails were delicious too! Tonsai had unique and authentic Thai dishes, but I do believe the servings could be a little heartier (especially the morning glory vegetable dish). But that did not take away from the great flavours. The mango sticky rice was one of the best I've ever had. The breakfast spread was surprisingly varied too...with a thai noodle station, and even cava was provided that made for many happy mimosa cocktails (Drinking in the morning is not the norm, but come on, you're on vacation).

We stayed in a sea-view pool villa and it was incredibly spacious for 2 people. It was well maintained and the view was breathtaking. The pool is small, more for dipping and relaxing in. The main infinity pool would be the one to go for if you want to have a good swim in.

One constructive comment I would like to give the hotel is regarding the housekeeping schedule. After our first night stay, we were in and out of our room a couple of times after breakfast and noticed that the room was not made up. At 3pm, I called front desk and queried why the room was still unmade. Two local Thai front desk staff told me that this is due to an eco-green initiative. I travel a fair bit, and I understand that most hotels do want to cut down energy consumption and do their part for the earth, which I am in total agreement with.

Most of these initiatives involve hanging the towels up on a rack if you are willing to reuse them, or place a card on your bed to make known you do not need your linens changed. But I have never come across a hotel that requires you to inform them if you just want your bed made, trash cleared, bottle water topped up, and floor swept (especially being a beach resort, there would definitely be some amount of sand on the floor). The villa pool was not cleaned either, leading there to be an accumulation of leaves by the 2nd day.

I don't believe that simple actions of making up a room would be any less eco-friendly. And, if this is the standard practice of Naka, then it would be helpful to inform guests at check-in that standard housekeeping procedures will not be carried out unless specific instructions are given to do so.

Besides that, everything else was great. Staff were always attentive, friendly and professional right from the recreation pool staff, the restaurant staff and even the managers.

Final verdict, will I be heading back to The Naka Island resort again in the future? Most definitely so! Maybe even with my young child as it turned out actually to be a very family friendly resort!

Keep up the good work!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Greg_Tan,

Thank you for making the effort to write such a comprehensive review of your recent stay at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket.

It is really nice to hear so many of your compliments in your feedback including your restaurant dining experiences, your private Sea View Pool Villa and the attentive, friendly and professional service from our Naka Island Ambassadors.

Your explanation of your previous experiences in regard to reusing / washing towels is actually the same as The Naka Island’s Green Initiative. I would like to apologise for any miscommunication from us on this process. Our Housekeeping staff clean and tidy each Villa daily, maintain each Villa’s swimming pool, plus carry out nightly turn-down service.

Your review will be shared with our Naka Island Team and I hope that you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the near future for another wonderful getaway at The Naka Island Resort & Spa, Phuket.

adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed here for four wonderful nights and really didn't want to leave our sea view villa.
The island is the perfect place for quiet contemplation and total relaxation.The villas are very well appointed and private with your own pool, steam room and outdoor sala and wonderful playlist on the iPod. We dined at both restaurants which were of an excellent standard and enjoyed several treatments at the spa which was also excellent.
If you are seeking social engagement or outside stimuli this is not the resort for you however if you want to enjoy peace privacy and excellent service you won't be disappointed and if you happen to run short of reading material there is a library of books and movies in different languages.
The only disappointment in our stay was when we left the island to do a tour of phi phi ....don't bother...we mistakenly believed the tour would be of the same standard as our resort .
Starwood preferred recognition is also excellent .

Room Tip: Book a ocean view if possible
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear jshAdelaide,

It is with pleasure that I read your 5 star trip Advisor review and that you found the perfect place for quiet contemplation and total relaxation here with us at The Naka Island Resort & Spa, Phuket.

Your compliments in regard to your restaurant dining experiences are certainly welcome, plus your private pool villa and its amenities, the excellent service from our ambassadors and the overall peace and quiet and privacy of our resort.

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Naka Island and I truly hope you will visit us again for another relaxing getaway with the renowned Luxury Collection hospitality.

Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I currently stay more than 150 nights a year in hotel rooms. I have been in some of the best hotels in the world, however The Naka Island beat everything. The General Manager greeted us after arriving by the hotel's speed boat. The most outstanding part of the stay was the staff. Every person made us feel special. The food was awesome. We would go back in a heartbeat. Thank you Pitch for the fun training sessions. Also thank you Mam, Nora and Danielle in the restaurant. We also enjoyed happy hour in the Z Bar. We can describe this hotel as Bedrock meets Gilligans Island meets Fantasy Island.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Vrummenhohl,

It was a pleasure to meet with you during your stay with us at The Naka Island and as the General Manager I must say that I feel very proud of my team and property after reading in your review how much you enjoyed your stay.

I am fortunate to have such a wonderful team of Ambassadors that are so focused on assisting our guests in feeling as comfortable as possible during their time with us and your kind words will be shared with our entire team, with special mentions to Khun Mam, Khun Nora, Khun Daniel and Khun Petch.

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket and I hope you will have another opportunity in the future to experience our unequalled hospitality once again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Great staff, excellent service, wonderful stay we had.

From the boat ride to the resort, and til the limo service back to the airport,
we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Naka Island Resort.

Spa massage was so good I fell asleep!

Suite was excellent, and everyone did their best to look after us.

Will be back!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear dlalsgur,
I am overjoyed to read your 5 Star Trip Advisor review following your recent stay with us at The Naka Island Resort & Spa.

It is wonderful to read that all aspects of your stay reached your expectations including your private villa, the service from our Ambassadors and your Spa Naka treatments.

Your feedback will be shared with our team and we look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable Luxury Collection experience in the future.

Kind Regards
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had a few days off and decided to try out the new direct route to Phuket. We had been once before so this time we wanted something a bit more quiet and relaxing than the main island, so Naka Island seemed like the perfect option and trust me it was!
Naka Island is only a 30 minute car journey through some back streets as you head towards the coast so it helps if you book a car pick up service, as ordinary taxi drivers may not know where to bring you. From the marina it is only a 5-10 minute boat trip to the island.
Once you arrive, the guest relations staff are there to greet you and on route to your room you get to meet the General Manager while you make a wish and bang on a traditional bong-nice start to the holiday! They dealt with the check-in, in your room so it was hassle free. Our room no.27 was fabulous with lots of room and a nice big comfy bed. The bathroom was most impressive as it was at the back of the villa separate from the room and it looked out on a lovely tropical garden and an outdoor shower. There is a mosquito net which gives you comfort while you sleep and tea/coffee facilities in the room. The swimming pool is more than enough for two and it is kept nice & clean. You have your own bicycles to get around the island & you can go visit the local fishing village on the other side of the island.
All the other facilities on the island were very enjoyable. They had both outdoor and indoor class’s everyday such a Thai Boxing, Paddle Boarding and Yoga, which are good for the over cast days. There was a wide range of magazines, books & DVD’s to choose from. Even though we had our own private pool we used the communal pool every day, it faces out on the water with a mountainous view, the beds are actually in the pool and the pool boys come around with water regularly plus a nice cool breeze blows in. The Spa was amazing especially the gardens and the setting, it’s a must and prices are not too expensive. There is only two restaurants to choose from and normally we would tire easily of two but for some reason not these two! Tonsai had a bit of everything local & western, we preferred the Asian Cuisine (mango sticky rice-yum!) and My Grill had a lovely seafood platter and fine meats, we never had a bad meal in either. Zbar is peaceful and relaxing overlooking the water, it was a 5-10 minute cycle which is lovely before dinner BUT there was no bar close to the restaurants to relax and have an after dinner drink. So my only suggestion to the resort is to set up a nice beach bar close to My Grill! All the staff were so lovely always smiling and using our names. We had the pleasure of meeting Dave the head of Guest Relations who came over to chat every day and no request was too much for him, we really appreciated all the attention.
Over all we loved Naka, it’s the Maldives of Thailand just a lot more reasonably priced!!!! We will definitely plan a return visit in the future and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear EimernMarcus,

It was a pleasure meeting you and thanks again for staying with us recently at The Naka Island, A luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket and for posting such a wonderful review of your experience on Trip Advisor titled 'The Perfect Island'.

It means so much to myself and our team to have you rate us so highly in your feedback and to recommend The Naka Island to future guests that are searching for a luxurious, intimate, quiet and relaxing getaway in a tropical island setting.

Your many compliments are certainly welcome including your hassle free check-in, comfortable tropical pool villa, our watersports and recreational activities, treatments at Spa Naka, your restaurant dining experiences and also the friendliness and service from our ever helpful Naka Island Ambassadors.

I hope you have the opportunity to return again in the future to visit us for another unforgettable experience when you next visit Phuket.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to The Naka Island for a short vacation at the end of a work trip. I couldn't have asked for a better trip. The guest experience is excellent and makes you feel like you're on the most luxurious vacation from the second you set foot off the plane. The resort is incredibly romantic and offers picturesque sunsets, delicious food and deluxe accommodations. We stayed in a tropical villa and I felt like the red carpet had been rolled out. A beautiful open air washroom, a private pool and an outdoor bathtub are just a few examples of some of the villa amenities. I hope I can return one day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Erich_FRIEDL, General Manager at The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear TalulahK522,

It is delightful to hear that you felt like the red carpet had been rolled out for you during your recent Naka Island experience and that you hope that you can return again one day.

Thank you for choosing to stay at our resort and also for your many compliments in your Trip Advisor review, including the picturesque sunsets, delicious food and your private Tropical Pool Villa.

I hope you have the opportunity in the future to stay with us again to enjoy another unforgettable Luxury Collection experience.

Kind Regards
Erich Friedl

Been to The Naka Island, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!