“really?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club

You added Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club to your Saves list
Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Grand Anse Beach, Grand Anse 3858, Grenada (Formerly Mount Cinnamon Grenada)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Grand Anse
San diego
“really?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

when I read the most recent review and discussion about security......it was time to weigh in. Our visit to the hotel was October, and found the stay enjoyable, but the food and service lacking. When we arrived we were provided cell phones to reach security, the front desk, the manager etc...

The night before our last night, we are awakened early in the morning with an intruder in our room, fondling my wife. I jumped and heard the intruder run out the door. I did not know if he was alone and slowly went upstairs to see if anyone else was in the villa. I grabbed the cell phone, dialed security, the front desk, the manager...all voice mail. Finally I was connected to the police which were literally was a 1/4 mile away.

At the same time the neighbor was screaming they had an intruder with small kids in their villa, we grabbed oars and ran to help. The hotel staff never showed, and finally the police came almost an hour after the indicent, when security miraculously showed.

The balcony doors apparently would not lock, even though they appeared too..or perhaps it was just lack of security with keys by the hotel staff?

Although apologetic, they played down the entire incindent, no refund was offered, no assistance in getting an early flight off the island. I guess based on the most recent review it does not sound like anything has improved. I also contacted tourism officials numerous times, to complain about the hotel and the local police response, but have heard nothing.

in retrospect, the service was mediocre, the food sub par, and obviously the security and caring for the guests lacking. I would not recommend a visit, and am still waiting for my refund.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adrienne538, Manager at Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Sir

We are sorry to read your review as we have been in touch with you several times by email with regards to the very unfortunate incident which took place last year. Contrary to your comments, Mount Cinnamon, its owners, Directors and staff, as well as the police, took the occurrence very seriously.

Grenada is a small and friendly island with a total population of under a 100,000 people. In many ways, it has a village feel and we like to think, unspoilt by mass commercialism. Sadly, as we all know, in any community there can be a wild card, whether you live in Tempe (Grenada or Arizona), Toronto or the Highlands of Scotland. Thankfully, it’s rare to come up against such problems and we hope more unusual here than most.

That said shortly after the incident our Resident Director emailed you to explain all of the actions we had taken. We immediately dismissed the incumbent security company, replacing them with G4S, an internationally recognised security group. We also added additional locking mechanisms to the sliding doors (the existing ones were working but were admittedly a little fiddly to operate). Further we added an electronic guard monitoring system and doubled the number of guards.

More recently, we have stepped up the security measures again by introducing a special laser perimeter alarm system that alerts security and the manager immediately if the perimeter is breached. All patio doors of suites and villas now have a new deadlock system that cannot be overridden and a night manager is now on duty.

Our Director did also inform you that the police had a suspect in custody who has subsequently been charged and is awaiting trial.

We try not to be alarmist as we have always enjoyed a very safe and secure lifestyle. With the growth of tourism, we naturally need to be more vigilant as this incident demonstrated and as you or I would be in our own home. We sadly do now advise guests not to leave their doors open per chance an intruder trespasses for whatever reason, opportunist or criminal.

Naturally, the incident was upsetting for everyone. As Grenadians, we are proud to have the reputation of the friendliest, safest and most welcoming of Caribbean islands. We know that incidents like this can be seriously damaging to our main source of economy and goes against the ethos of our people. Please believe me, therefore when I say again, we have all taken the incident very seriously and have endeavoured to prevent anything like this happening again.

I will contact you separately as I had understood we had done everything possible to alleviate the alarming encounter, helped you with your early departure and given a refund towards your stay. I am sorry and understand that the experience has clearly left such an unwelcome memory.

Sincerely yours
Kisha Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were so looking forward to our stay at Mount Cinnamon over Christmas, but came away feeling very disappointed and certainly felt that we had paid for an expensive holiday and had not got value for money. We loved the island of Grenada and the people and the beaches are gorgeous

The villa we stayed in was beautiful with superb views and was cleaned very well. However we were a little surprised to find out that rather than staying in a hotel which is what we were lead to understand Mount Cinnamon is, it is really time share villas. That is fine if that is what you want, but I would have liked to have known this before I booked.
Thus Mount CInnamon lacks the amenities that a hotel offers. The pool was small and very deep and in a very unwelcoming position, few people seemed to use it. The food in the restaurant was pretty awful and very limited meals especially for a vegetarian, it was overpriced for what you got. It lacked any atmosphere and the waiting staff seemed totally disinterested. The bar was mostly unattended and we had to wait ages to be served even a simple drink. It seemed that others had felt the same as in the two weeks we were there we hardly saw anyone in the bar area.

When we arrived we were ushered into the reception area and given a welcome drink and then we waited and waited as someone was meant to give us a 'welcome' talk. In the end I asked to be shown our room. On several occasions I asked if there was someone who could tell us about excursions and day trips, but this was never organised by the front desk. Although the girls at the front desk were polite and friendly, they did not seem to know very much about local restaurants and were unable to give much advice. On our final bill we were charged an extra day and that took quite a while to sort out.

The beach was lovely and the bar down on the beach good, but I didn't feel that it was right that we could not use the bar facilities one day when there was a wedding on . It felt as though they just did not care for their guests.

It did not help that the villa above us had a break in one night while we were there and we heard screams in the early hours of the morning, Very unsettling and when I talked to the manager the next day about it, I felt that she was trying to cover everything up.

On leaving, we were asked to fill in a survey which we did. Half an hour later the manager to talk about the points we made in the survey and said that she would follow them up and we would be hearing from her as she was sorry that we were not to happy about the holiday. We have heard nothing.

Such a shame, it is in a lovely situation, but I do not think that Mount Cinnamon should advertise themselves as a hotel. We went to LaLuna for a meal and were only sorry that we had not booked to stay there.

Room Tip: Choose a villa high up for the view but there are a lot of stairs to climb
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Adrienne538, Manager at Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Madam

Whilst there are many excellent points in your review about our lovely villas and our wonderful island, we are all disappointed to read of your less than positive remarks about some aspects of your stay and I’m very sorry as I had thought you were happy when you left.

Mount Cinnamon is a privately owned boutique resort with just 21 suites and villas. Each accommodation is very spacious, set is stunning tropical gardens around the main Clubhouse with swimming pool, bar, dining, reception areas as well as concierge. Rather than a high-density hotel build, the facilities are low-rise, individual villas so rather than everything feeling cramped together, we hope there is a sense of space, privacy and tranquillity.

That said, on arrival, all guests should receive a full orientation showing the tennis court, gym, spa rooms, beach cabana club, yoga retreat pavilion, croquet lawns and beach and water sports facilities.

I know you elected not to have the tour and the welcome drinks and go straight to your room as you’ve mentioned. Most of our guests do like to unwind after their flight with a refreshing cocktail by the pool. I’m sorry that we didn’t explain this properly and you felt you were being kept waiting.

No week at Mount Cinnamon is the same. Some weeks, the swimming pool area and poolside bar are lively and other weeks, we have parties that prefer to be on the beach and we don’t see a soul at the pool! One never knows and of course and many people are out and about, diving with the team at Dive Grenada, going on a hash in the tropical rain-forest or perhaps a day trip to our sister island of Carriacou for the day.

I do have a weekly cocktail party where guests can meet. Naturally, some people are looking for peace and escape and prefer to spend time in the privacy of their villa so it’s hard to dictate where the fun will be.

With regards to your concern about security, I had hoped that I’d allayed your fears when we met. Grenada is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean and security is not an issue. The guest who woke you up was a regular guest at Mount Cinnamon who had been startled when someone was walking in their garden. We do have a security presence around the property at night to ensure people cannot walk through the grounds. Whilst we did increase the security presence after the incident, our management as well as the guest involved, didn’t see the intrusion as an on-going threat. It would be very easy to spoil and frighten the entire guest list so we made a decision to increase our vigilance but not worry everyone.

When we met again before your departure, I naturally wanted to discuss with you the items you have raised now. Your comments have been used for retraining purposes especially things like letting guests know about the buggy shuttle if guests cannot walk the steps easily to the higher villas, etc. As most guests spend so much of their day on the beach, only returning to their villas late in the day, the spectacular views from the higher villas far out-weighs the short walk up the steps.

Again, we are all very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your trip to the full. If you do choose to come back to Grenada, we welcome the chance to show you how wonderful Mount Cinnamon can be. It seems like we set off on the wrong footing and it put a damper on the remainder of your stay. Naturally, we will make this up to you.

Sincerely
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was our third Caribbean island trip (previously Jamaica and St Lucia) and we found Grenada to be the most special and friendly island so far. The people are so helpful and caring about their island. It is clean and beautiful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Mount Cinnamon; our Villa was generous in size, clean and in full working order including fast wifi. The views from the balcony were simply amazing. The choice of restaurants on the island around St Georges was better than we imagined and many of these are located with great views of the ocean. We played tennis and regularly used the gym at Mount Cinnamon and enjoyed the walks up the hill! Savvys bar on the beach was tastefully styled and kept us fed and watered in its peaceful surroundings. Swimming in the sea was just wonderful. We look forward to returning to this beautiful resort and location sometime soon..

Room Tip: The Villas are located on a hillside and you may wish to request a lower Villa if you find it diffic...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Another wonderful stay at Mount Cinnamon over the Christmas an New Year period.

The villa was superb yet again. There were plenty of activates in which to participate with the Friday night bonfires being a particular favourite.

The staff were as pleasant and helpful as ever. Although we are frequent returners, it’s always encouraging to see the same faces, it makes us feel as if we are meeting up with old friends, and in many cases we are.

Will definitely go back again, never get bored of Mount Cinnamon or Grenada.

Room Tip: yes, this property is on a hill, but the walk to the villa is worth it for the view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Yeovil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I always think that people only leave reviews to say about the bad stuff...well this is not one of thoses reviews. Me and my partner came here in october 2012, from the moment i arrived i was amazed, the hotel was beautiful, the staff were all welcoming and friendly and made our stay best it could of been. I have no fault to say about this beautiful hotel which is in a beautiful location, we had an all inclusive holiday in a one bed apartment, the size of the apartment was amazing with a balcony over looking the view of the beach and the island, the pool is lovely the beach is only a two min walk away,We also did a day trip by an organization named tooty fruity which was a fab recomendation from the reception staff. I would recommend this location if you want sun, relaxing and a fab time. We will definitley be returning. without a doubt.

Room Tip: we had a one bed apartment, which suited the two of us. it was located right above the pool area whi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Adrienne538, Manager at Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
You are very kind to have taken the time to write about your visit to Mount Cinnamon. We are all delighted to hear you enjoyed Mount Cinnamon as well as our lovely island. You must come back for longer next time as there is so much left to enjoy including exploring the wild rain-forest interiors (over 60% of the island is designated National Park), the unique Underwater Sculpture Park (named by National Geographic as one of the Wonders of the World) as well as our new Beachside Yoga Retreat.

As a returning guests at any of the de Savary Properties in Grenada or in the UK, you will also benefit from a number other other amenities as well as preferred rates depending on the time of year and location.

Thank you again. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best wishes
Kisha

Peterborough, Cambs, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I booked at Mount Cinnamon for our Honeymoon, looks great, location, slightly funky, friendly etc. I advised hotel during booking process re honeymoon & re being vegetarian so was looking forward to stay. I have owned & ran hotels in the UK for 10 years now so maybe I see things slightly differently, but...
The resort is less hotel than serviced apartments & villas, which in many ways is good as you get a lot more space & flexibility - good to know before you get there.
We were checked into an apartment just above the swimming pool, it has great views straight over Great Anse Beach & wonderful to wake up to each morning. We had two bathrooms, a kitchen, dining terrace, living room & laundry equipment. Perfect really for a self catering holiday.
The staff here are also terribly friendly, they really are lovely.
And then the negative -
The bathroom by the kitchen in the apartment didnt work - virtually no water at all.
The shower in the other bathroom flooded the whole room (we tried various ways of wedging towels to stop the flooding, repositioning the shower head etc but to no avail. The bath plug didnt hold water, so no chance of a bath.
The coffee, tea, milk or sugar in the kitchen is not replemished - we did ask, then went to shop to buy our own.
We were served, potatoes, vegetables & tomatoes as our evening meal - the vegetarian option - they seemed rather proud of this.
We were also served half a grilled tomato on half a slice of wholemeal toast as a starter.
We got used to cooking for ourselves or eating out.
You can wait a good half an hour for a drink to be served, so much so that you ordered another when the first was delivered. This of course is providing you can find the staff in the first place to make your order.
Our air conditioning unit in the bedroom broke down, not really a problem. It emptied itself over the bedroom floor, the rug was rolled back & the floor covered with bath mats to soak the water up, not really a problem, would have been nice to have been told rather than to find it. It didnt get fixed before we left - they did try.
We did go out for a lovely evening sunset cruise & I arranged for dinner to be served on our terrace (very small portions but, a lovely vegetable curry). I washed the dishes & glasses myself & returned them to the bar. The remaining items of the table, ice bucket, napkin swan, balloons, petals etc were still there two days later.
I didn't want to cause a fuss when I was there & probably I should have, I thought they should have known how to run the place, it is after all a Peter de Savary property & its not exactly cheap. Overall, what could have been a great holiday in quite a romantic setting spoilt by lack of attention.
In part also, LaSource had closed down & a lot of the guests had been relocated to Mount Cinnamon. They had such cracking deals, I felt a little sick paying the final account, the LaSource guests were all inclusive & had massages & treatments everyday - unfortunately, I booked direct & paid through the nose. Its sad for me, I have stayed at PDS properties many times before & always enjoyed the experience, this one has probably put me off for good.

Room Tip: Some of the villas are very high up the mountain, careful when you book unless you like a long dark...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Adrienne538, Manager at Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Mr Black
We are saddened to read your review especially when we seem to have received so many excellent reviews before and since your stay in November last year. It is also disappointing as we would like nothing more for you to have enjoyed your honeymoon.
Despite our on-going direct communications and your requests for numerous discounts before and after your stay, your review is especially disappointing for us all. As a past guest of one of our British properties, we were happy to extend a special Return Guest rate for your honeymoon in addition to requests for hotelier discounts to which we gave with further complimentary amenities.
At Mount Cinnamon, we aim to provide a friendly, tailor-made holiday experience. You chose to book on a suite only basis giving you full flexibility with regards to dining and also activities. As you know, the Hacienda Suites are all very spacious and all 21 suites and villas have fully-equipped modern kitchens which allow our guests to make a choice of whether to cook for themselves, use one of our cooks, or enjoy a full dining facility at the beach cabana or main club house. Many guests do choose an all-inclusive holiday and pay the package accordingly.
The suites and villas all have twice daily housekeeping so I am surprised that you suggest that the accommodation is just serviced apartments as there are many facilities to enjoy including spa, tennis, croquet, beach and water sports. We do offer an extensive welcome amenity pack for new arrivals and offer a shopping service, we do not replenish food-stuffs unless you have booked a dining package. This was advised at the time of booking.

All the staff has enjoyed extensive training and whilst we should have dealt with your dietary requirements better, our staff had hoped that we went out of their way to meet your demands.
Unfortunately, you didn’t make us aware of the problems you were having with the bathrooms in your suite until just before your departure. This meant we were unable to rectify the problem or offer you an alternative suite.

Your remarks about La Source guests are completely unfounded. Sadly, La Source closed-down just before your arrival. All guests in house and with future reservations were offered their money back or the chance to choose alternative properties through their tour operators. In some cases, tour operators paid for the upgrade or the guests themselves chose to upgrade. Again, if you had perhaps raised your concern with me during your stay, we could have alleviated your anxiety.

Again, we are sorry and disappointed that your review doesn’t reflect the warmth and effort our small Grenadian team go to for all our guests. Whilst we don’t get things right all the time and we do appreciate your feedback, we are very sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. Mount Cinnamon is a lovely place to holiday and for us to make those holidays memorable and fun.

Sincerely
New York Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Please read my February 2011 review as it is essentially unchanged.

Stayed in Villa 2 this time instead of 11...... easier parking and walked up/down from beach.

Same great interior with great bed and bedding.

Had same great views and grounds.

Beach was perfect this time with no rocks/coral. Best beach section in entire bay.

Mostly the same staff including smiling Marilyn of housekeeping. Keisha who I commented on last time is now Manager! Everyone is friendly.

Only a few minor CONS: Still no TV in bedroom, washer doesn't seem to spin to wring clothes out and dryer is very noisy. The nice stainless frying pan can't be used to make anything without sticking.

Went to Bananas for Lobster Thermidor - Great!

Went to Aquarium on Sunday - Same Great barbecue/music

Went to Prickly Bay Marina on Friday Night for Steel Pan Band followed by another band... very casual venue - mostly outside.

Used A&A car rental this time because Azar had no cars. Same good deal with no extra hours charge but car was a little beat and side window tinting was too dark. Would try for Azar again next time.

Room Tip: There probably aren't any bad rooms or villas. The higher you go, the better the view and the lo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club? Share your experiences!