“R&R in Grenada” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Grand Anse
Port of Spain
“R&R in Grenada”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from this resort and I must say it was a delight. We stayed there for 4 days and I think that was quite a long enough time to make a review...here goes:

PROS:

Location: The resort is situated about 3 minutes walking distance from the airport, don't start getting jitters, we only heard a plane once and it sounded like a truck passing by. The airport is not a busy one so there really is nothing to worry about. I suggest you save your taxi fare $$ and take a walk to the hotel it's that close. Unless you have tons of luggage there is no need to pay $25US for a 2 block ride.

Grenada is a small island so if you want to get to the town or do some site seeing you can take a taxi on the main road or one of the hotel taxis easy as pie!!

Resort Grounds: The grounds are expansive and BEAUTIFUL!!!! If you stay here for anything stay for the beautiful grounds. Imagine waking up in the morning to the sound of various birds singing love songs to each other, or stepping out on your balcony and seeing the blue calm waters of the Caribbean, not to mention the flowers, the lake and the ambiance!!! Lets just say the grounds are really GREAT!!!

Food: I suggest you get an all inclusive package. The food and drinks are all very tasty and you won't go hungry! There is also a variety of Caribbean flavors and dishes; Breakfast, Lunch, Tea and Dinner. 3 restaurants to chose from, drinks everywhere you go. Just be advised that collared shirts are a requirement for men at dinner.

Entertainment: There was something to do everyday and night. There was aqua aerobics, nature walks, live music, karaoke night, manager's rum punch lime, so you won't get bored, plus the beach is on the compound and the pool is lively.

Staff: Grenadian people are some of the friendliest, warmest and most agreeable in the Caribbean so it's no surprise that the staff are as accommodating as can be.

CONS:

Reception: Upon our arrival there was a long delay to get our rooms about 2 hours. I don't know why, but we got cold towels at the desk and we spent the wait walking and looking at the grounds so it was not the worst thing in the world. If you were on a long flight it may have been a tad inconvenient.

Rooms: This Resort is rated as a 3 star so I just wanted to say the rooms are 3 star. Although very clean the furniture is dated. The bathroom is updated though!! Oh and the hot water in the shower is room temperature at times!!! But you're on vacation in a hot island that should not be a major concern!!!!

So that's my review a bit long but I figured I'd touch all the bases.

Room Tip: There are no elevators and each building has 3 floors which are pretty high for older folks.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Dunkirk, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Rex for two weeks in January. We had upgraded to a first floor beachfront room and would definitely recommend it. So convenient to have the beach as well as the beach bar just steps away. Spent very little time in the room, which was a little dated, but very clean and no problems with the shower or hot water.

Breakfast buffet was basically the same each day, but no complaints. The quality of the lunch and dinner buffets was very good. (loved the hot sauce too!) Carving stations on different days of lamb, beef, or pork. The barbecue night had excellent ribs and chicken. Eating under the stars on the outdoor patio was a bonus! A variety of fresh grilled fish each day for lunch and dinner was excellent. The only downside was that the lunch and dinner buffets were too similar and did not have enough variety. Burgers, fries, salads and sandwiches for lunch at the pool grill.

We love water sports and took the hobie cats out a couple times. A lot of wind made for rough seas and not great viz during our stay, so we didn't do as much diving and snorkeling as we would have liked. Took a snorkel trip and a couple dive trips to a reef and a wreck and the dive shop staff was great......"Ocean" and Charleson in particular. In fact, the entire staff at the Rex helped make our trip more enjoyable. There are also vendors on the beach that will approach you, but are not pushy - had fun talking to Carl.

The view from the bar on the cliff adjacent to the pool was amazing. A great place to hang, watch a sunset and meet other guests. On Sundays, take a short walk down the beach to the Aquarium Restaurant. They have an excellent island band and dancing on the patio at 3:00.

Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just got back from a week at the REX. Read alot on tripadvisor and booked because of price, plain and simple. We arrived with a plane load of people all going to the same place....hotel is in walking distance of airport....VERY LONG CHECK IN process, so sit back and have a rum punch.
Staff was very friendly and extremely helpful, since an elderly couple had taken our suitcase in error, and we had to track them down, since they did not report it or bring it to the main office.
The room was in need of updates, and we overlooked that the bed was hard as rock, the fridge didn't work, no safe in the room and the sliding door was broken and the lock was held by one screw......for that incredible weather and piece of beach heaven.
We had a hillside room and my butt and legs got a work out, not much of a view....but never in the room till dark anyway. Oceanfront room would be ideal if you want to pay and can get one.
Pool was great, although we enjoyed the beach best.
THIS IS NOT A PARTY PLACE....actually quite the snore fest. All the nightlife was very dull and we danced one night for 10 minutes when I requested some upbeat music. Just seemed everyone was new to the resort entertainment business, not into getting things going at all, and the place rolls up no later midnight.
Food was OK, the soups were great and the desserts very well done...anything chocolate was heavenly, entrees were average.....but you don't go hungry. Lunch at the pool was hamburgs or sandwich...but never enough poor staff to keep up.....very blah
At breakfast you make reservations for supper, but there were line ups out the door, and I have no idea why....lots of tables, just seemed very disorganized since it was only buffet. dress code is fine, just for men though....ladies dressed as they wanted, most in a dress or fancier short sets...some in tshirt and bumming around attire, found it unfair for the guys
Price was right and overall it was OK....if my bed was comfy I'd say good.
Felt comortable in town, people are friendly....gorgeous island
i would go again

Room Tip: take the oceanview if you can afford it......hillside has lots of walking and no view
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I want to say---a vacation is what you make of it!!!!
The staff at the Rex are amazing. Very friendly.
The food was very good. We never went hungry.
There were 6 of us and 4 of us had beach front rooms. That was wonderful.
Went on a tour of the island with Tom that we met on the beach--he showed us all the highlights--we learned a lot and felt safe the whole time. I know some people say he is not insured and such--but we had fun with him.
Went to the market with the hotel on Saturday--don't miss that experience.
Yes the evening entertainment left something to be desired. BUT, the Wizards (a local steel band) were wonderful.
As I said a vacation is what you decide to make of it.
Most of the issues at the Rex is not the fault of the staff there---but of the Head Office of the Rex.
We would return to this wonderful island and the Rex.

Room Tip: upgrade to a beach from room in block F
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sarnia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My first night here I put on nice shorts and nice polo shirt to go and eat at the buffet for dinner and they refused to let me to eat, they told me I had to get my food and go outside and eat it. They made me feel like a dog. What was really disgusting is there were all kinds of women in the buffet with shorts on, some had spaghetti strap halters on, swimsuits with shorts and I had a nice pair of shorts and polo shirt that meets or exceeds the dress code of any golf course and I was told to eat outside with the cats and dogs. I just left the Air Transat tour rep meeting because when I put the question to the rep and told her that their brochure and website says nothing of wearing pants and collared shirts to the buffet and she said that on the Rex site it explains the dress code and I made her aware that I didn't book through the Rex site I booked through Transat holidays, but she was more interested in dumping me and getting on to the tours where she can earn her commission from everybody. If I wanted to wear pants I would have stayed home and If I knew that I needed to wear pants I would've either brought a pair or found another resort that was not prejudice towards men because women were allowed to wear what they said men couldn't wear. WHAT A JOKE. Also, when we arrived my wife asked for a shot of tequila and they wanted her to pay for it so then we now find out that the all inclusive drinks is very limited now, and of course there was nothing mentioned in the brochure and on Transat's web site. What a Joke. I don't mind following the rules but I would like to know what they are before you take my money and then tell me what I can and can't do, I would like to have the option before I spend my money. I've been on 21 vacations in the past 3 years and before I left Canada I knew what was required but here at the Grenadian and Transat Holidays they take your money and when you get here they tell you what all the rules are even if you weren't allowed to prepare for them. Now this is a joke. I will leave a further review at the end of this vacation.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at the Rex from Jan 28-Feb4th 2013. As we had read in previous reviews, the resort, in part, is a little tired. It was clean and the setting was lovely things were just a bit dated. Certainly didn't take away from our wonderful experience. We found the food to be very good and the staff was terrific. Yes, the bartenders were slow and not as gregarious as you usually find the bar staff to be. We too were on the flight that was delayed in Toronto and by the time we got to Grenada it was like we all knew each other so that made for a very pleasant week. We did have one dinner at the a'la carte restaurant and felt it was well worth the extra expense. The resort gives each person a 40EC credit towards your dining in that restaurant.We took our wine in from the bar and they kept our glasses filled with no additional cost. My husband and I shared an appetizer and each had an entree. (NO dessert, the portions were generous) and ended up with a bill of $33.00 US after our credit was applied. A very good deal. We also walked down the beach to the Aquarium beachfront restaurant. If you go Sunday they have live entertainment and a fabulous bbq. You need reservations for that. Setting is spectacular, right on the beach.

We found a couple of minor issues that perhaps will be addressed in the future. As is often the case, there didn't seem to be enough lounge chairs to go around and you had to get out at the crack of dawn with your towels to save yourself chairs. We also found that while there was a lovely lake with paths around it and bridges over it the lighting was very poor at night. It was nice to take a stroll around after dinner but lighting was just not good for that. In fact the lighting even along the walkways to the beachfront rooms left a bit to be desired.

We were in room 2228 which was an ocean view (and oh what a view!) but with a lot of stairs to get to it. Just be aware of that if you have limited mobility. We did the Tutti Frutti excursion and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also did the market trip the next morning which was discounted if you had already spent a certain amount on one of Transat tours. That was great too. The Island itself is spectacular and people wonderfully warm and friendly. Quite a lot of vendors on the beach and you can get everything cheaper in town at the market.

The beach was lovely but not very long and the swimming in the ocean was tricky because it was pretty rough that week. Red flag was out much of the time.

Overall it was a wonderful time and we were not alone in saying we would recommend the resort in a heartbeat. Keep in mind it's not a party place and most of the crowd was pretty sedate. There was music in the evenings but overall pretty quiet. Suited us perfectly.

Room Tip: room 2228 had a fantastic view but a lot of stairs to get to it.
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

After a 6 hour snow delay getting out of Pearson, was nice to land in Grenada and quickly get delivered to Rex. A lot of the people on the plane made same travel plans as we did, check-in took a while. Towels and drinks were available and we got the luggage delivered to our room. Sadly I could not get an upper floor room.
Staff kept the main restaurant/buffet open late and overlooked long pants policy for men, that night only.
Each morning at breakfast seating, book evening meal time and location, if you want a vegetarian meal, tell them then, the chef from the Oriental restaurant will make it. My partner enjoyed each evening meal, very balanced vegetarian meal and delicious with awesome flavours. Kudos to the chef, staff screwed up the requested meal 2X, but recovered.

WiFi didn't work at our room (G block), there are covered walkways to all out buildings from main bldg.

The beach is nice but hoarding of beachfront chez-lounges happens. If you arrive late, none left. Water was quite rough making beachfront snorkelling a challenge, Rex does supply big, thick, thirsty towels.
The pool area is best location to toast the sunset from.
We felt quite safe there, drank tap water and enjoyed tea time. If you miss tea time, dinners start at 7pm.....can be a bit of a hungry wait, usually had a line-up. Breakfast menu selections didn't change much all week and be careful around the bread toaster...the older Brit visitors tend to forget which toast is theirs, yours can walk off !

Limited nightly entertainment and a very low-keyed daily activities, believe Rex just hired a person from La Source to ramp that up.

Overall we enjoyed the vacation there, had the usual tropical rains, didn't get any bug bites, my winter get-aways are scuba focussed and that disappointed, windy and poor viz. Rex didn't.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grenadian by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!