“Short honeymoon trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Grand Anse
London, United Kingdom
“Short honeymoon trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Had a great time. Very quiet in May 2012 but the staff were great. I stepped on a sea urchin and had to go to hospital but the manager sorted everything out and covered all costs. That aside, the food was good but not much was open due to the place being nearly empty. Beautiful resort tho and facilities were great. Will definitely be going back there. It's 5 mins from the airport but you don't hear any planes at all due to the geography of the resort. Look out for Dexter wandering the beach who takes you on excursions. Great guy, good price and an excellent tour guide who really makes sure you're well looked after!!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms were beautiful
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Pensacola, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I arrived and typically stay at LaSource, however they have closed for a few months after selling to Sandals. I decided to stay here and the rates at check in were higher than previously agreed upon over the phone in addition to it now being "room only" and not "all inclusive". After I got to the room carrying my bag up four flights of stairs it was stuffed so full with furniture you could barely get around. All of the furniture was dated and the bed was two twins pushed together but not even made to look like one bed, it had two comforters covering it. The restaurant was closed withing 1 hour of arriving, they close 5 minutes before 10 so I unfortunately can't say how it is but I can tell you there is nowhere else to get food anywhere near. I tried to get a drink at the bar but apparently after the argument at the front desk my "inclusive package" doesn't include anything on the bar, the lady actually reached under the bar to get the "montezuma's scotch" which was included for my rate. I'll be changing hotels tomorrow and dissuading any friends from wasting a night on this beautiful island at Rex.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Just back from my 4th stay at The Rex. If I was only rating the staff, it would be 5 Star all the way, from the ground staff who always had a positive greeting as they toiled in the heat to the bar and restaurant staff who went out of their way to meet the needs of the guests, but a great vacation experience needs more! The facilities are looking tired and in need of an upgrade. The bedrooms and bathrooms whilst clean look shabby by today's standards and I totally agree itch previous comments about the TV and Wi-Fi. My TV hardly worked, which in itself was not a major issue when you have a great beach on your doorstep, but it's still annoying when you can't get the news as you get ready in the morning. As for Wi-Fi? The system was awful, with the connection being lost every minute or so, and the whole thing going own for 2 days! Totally unacceptable in 2012! Having said all of that, I still love The Rex. Its colonial grandeur, expansive grounds and sprawling layout are from a bygone age, with a character and charm that the new hotels on the island just don't have!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Georgetown,Guyana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business event so my rating is basically confined to that issue. I have a big problem when a hotel - which also caters to business guests - cannot bother to provide decent Internet service. Even when I am on vacation I need to Internet and feel totally frustrated without it. The service didnt work at all in the meeting room and in my room, I had to go out on the balcony to get even a weak signal. My ipad didn't connect at all. The electrical outlets were inconveniently placed - another big turnoff for me - and the outlets were all of the clunky English type so you better carry your adapter with you. The TV was total rubbish, a tiny set that buzzed all the time and only a few channels. There was really no writing desk, only a small wicker table with a large lamp on it. The food was so so. The staff were friendly though. Great that the rooms are all along the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Basildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

After a long but enjoyable flight with virgin atlantic it was great to know that the hotel was only five minutes away from the airport.

Check in went smoothly,was welcomed with a cold flannel and a fruit punch.

Booked a seaview room but on request was upgraded to a beachfront room.
Room was nice with a big comfortable bed,a nice bathroom with a shower with good pressure and a nice balcony with a lovely view of the sea.

Food was good,a bit limited on choices but i ate well and i am very fussy,

I liked the the way the pool,bar,and pool restaurant was in a elevated position overlooking the two sandy beaches.
Why someone should nitpick about not having a swim up bar is beyond me.

Entertainment at night was low key but that didn't bother me as due to the hot weather i was ready to call it a day well before midnight.

The people in grenada are so friendly and it is must is to get out and about and explore the island.
We hired "moody" who works out of the hotel on a half day tour round the island and he very interesting and informative.

The only minus points i can think about was the lack of sun loungers on the beaches but when i spoke to the manager she assured me this would be taken care of.

Staff at the hotel were all great but special mention to leslie and at the pool bar gerrard.

Overall a very enjoyable stay at the rex and i am look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Try and get a beachview room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Grenada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a beautiful location and a very nice facility. We have stayed here for long weekends 3 times. The staff have always been pleasant. However, the service is disappointing, especially on our most recent stay. Upon arrival we found that we could not connect to the Internet using the free wi-fi. I am fairly experienced at this and I explained to the front desk that I could "see" the router but it would never allow me to go to the password step. They promised continually to fix this, but never did. The next morning I reported that our sliding balcony door was extremely hard to open and asked them to spray it with WD40. An hour later the maintenance man came, but without any lubricant. He said he'd be right back, and he was, 24 hours later. On that same day Housekeeping never came to our room and we had to call the front desk at 9:00 PM to get clean towels. I have written a few reviews and I prefer to only write when I can say something nice, but the problems at this hotel can be easily fixed if only the management will take them to heart.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at the resort for 5 days with my fiance, after La Source resort was closed. We got a pretty good deal on Orbitz, so the price was definitely reasonable. A few thoughts about the resort:
- Close to the airport. It is worth the $10 cab ride to get you to the hotel in one minute. From landing to being at the hotel was under 30 min for us, it was fabulous after taking an overnight flight (and a long layover in Trinadad)
- Check in was pretty slow. After a long night of traveling, having to sit in a non air conditioned lobby while we just waited without being told much of anything was not idea. Especially when she told us our room wasn't ready. We did get upgraded to a beach front room, which was nice, but there were probably only 20 other people at the resort when we got there and we walked by TONS of empty rooms (with doors open), on the way to our room.
- Room was fine. We had a nice view of the ocean and were on the 2nd floor. The waves crashing can be a little loud though, and did wake me up at night (although hard to complain when the only noise is the ocean when you are on vacation!)
- Food was ok. We arrived on the first day around 1:30 pm, and they would not give us wristbands (to show we had the all inclusive deal), until 3pm, which was official check in time. I was a little annoyed by that, because lunch ended at 2:30 and there was nothing (except what tasted like butter sandwichs at afternoon tea) until dinner. We were spending 5 nights at the hotel, they could have given us the courtsey of letting us have lunch after travelling 12 hours to get there. Otherwise breakfast was the best meal of the day. Freshly made eggs/omlettes were awesome. The other meals were fine. Basically chicken/fish/sometimes beef with salad and side dishes. The resort was very empty when we were there, so there was only the one main buffet resturant for breakfast and dinner and by the pool for lunch. My major complaint was the "dress code" for the buffet. We say people in tshirts and shorts eating dinner there, and the one night my fiance wore a tshirt (a nice tshirt that was tucked into long khaki pants, with a belt on), he was told after our meal, that he has to dress with a collared shirt to eat there next time. Considering we are eating at a BUFFET with no AC and no other options, this was ridiculous, and insulting. The men in the resturant should not be sweating and uncomfortable on their vacation. Espeically since the buffet resturant was not particularily nice.
- Otherwise everything was average. No swim up bar, bartenders were slow, very limited options on drinks. It was a pretty location and good vacation, but for the money, I would go to an all inclusive in Mexico or other Caribbean location.
-Also, they had "activities" listed on a chalkboard everyday (water aerobics, games, etc), which never actually happened. On one day some guys came around to see if people wanted to play a beach game, and one of the guests pointed out that they were asking 45 min after the time of the "scheduled" activity and the employee replied "well, we're on island time". Maybe true, but we are paying to be here. A little customer service would be appreciated.
-Also, either book things ahead of time or plan to stay at the resort. When were were there, not one was there offering tours (just because it is off season doesn't mean you shouldn't try to give your guests options), and the resort is not close to anything except the airport

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Spice Island Beach Resort
#1 of 13 in Grand Anse
5.0 of 5 stars 613 reviews
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort

Been to Grenadian by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!