“A little corner of paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spice Island Beach Resort

You added Spice Island Beach Resort to your Saves list
Spice Island Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Grand Anse Beach | P.O. Box 6, Grand Anse 00000, Grenada   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Grand Anse
Oundle, UK
“A little corner of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

We have just returned from the most fantastic week at the Spice Island. The hotel and grounds were just as we expected, and the beach is stunning, all 1.5 miles of it.
We stayed in the Seagrape Suites right on the beach. The rooms were spacious and well appointed, the bathroom was lovely and the patio area comfortable too. The only disappointment was the bedside light, bizarre design and not bright enough (that is our only complaint though !)
The public areas, gardens and restaurants were lovely, but the best thing about it was the staff, who were by far the best we have ever come across in the Caribbean. Nothing was too much trouble, they were always friendly and helpful. The Room Service staff even phoned our two girls one morning, to ask them if they were coming to the restaurant for breakfast, or would they like something sent along ! And when my daughter left the tomato from the chicken sandwich she had ordered, the next time it arrived without tomato. In addition, having room service as part of the all inclusive was really nice, as was the mini bar too. The staff remembered our names and our drink of choice.
The beach is lovely and the sea swimming great, though the Hawkers can be a nuisance. (I always use the theory that if no-one buys anything then they would have to give up, but sadly others don't).
All in all a fantastic place, and we will definitely be going back.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — The bedside light !
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

We returned from our trip to Spice Island thoroughly relaxed & ready to face the British Winter.
When we arrived after the long flight, touched down in Tobago for an hour,.hadn't known about that. We were greeted with a welcome fruit punch, non alcoholic, which, as we were already tired was most welcome.
We were shown to our Oceanview room, which was tastefully furnished & shown our bathroom, which was so big, you could have held a party there!
The food at all times was excellent & we became quite friendly with the English chef there, as I have lactose intolerance & he was most helpful in making substitutions, when a choice I made contained lactose. The food was International with a strong Grenadian influence, not too spicy! We bought his recipe book & I have enjoyed trying out some of them myself.
The hotel was handy for local shops & also the capital, St Georges, which still remains mainly untouched by tourism, although that may change in the future.
There were plenty of beach chairs & it was not necessary to 'reserve' chairs, which is a practise I deplore.
The only niggle we had, was that there was quite a large charge for using the Internet, but we have since received a letter to say that this is now FREE.
The staff were always there to serve your every need, but remained unobtrusive.
Hopefully we can return in the not too distant future.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff. Excellent food. Good company. Beach
  • Disliked — Paying for Internet
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

We had a marvellous stay at Spice Island.
The hotel is very luxurious, the staff are delightful and the service excellent.
We stayed in a luxury Almond Pool Suite but, like other reviewers, found them a waste of money. We used the private pool only twice during our stay (water very cold!) and regretted not having a view of the sea. The Seagrape rooms which are on the beach and have a seaview, are much cheaper and by far better value.
If you are imagining a deserted Caribbean beach, the one which the hotel is on is not it! Whilst it is very attractive and large, with excellent swimming it is in quite a built up area, flanked by other hotels. However this did not detract at all from our enjoyment of the surroundings as the beach is huge and very long. Other reviewers have criticised being harrassed by beach hawkers. We found them very polite and if you nicely said no they were swiftly on their way!
There is a nice swimming pool only yards from the beach which was hardly used. There was no problem finding sun beds on the beach and there was very little reserving (a bete-noir of ours!). There was enough shade, as if you cannot find an umbrella you can always find somewhere under the shade of bushes and trees.
The standard of decoration and design of the hotel was excellent and it has obviously profited from the extensive renovation after the Hurricane.
The food was excellent and the dishes were comprised of a lot of local produce. The standard of cooking and the included wine in the 'all in' rate were very good.
The service in the dining room is slightly relaxed - but we were not in a hurry.
The hotel is extremely expensive, in our view, so the standard of our fellow guests was very high - 85% Brits. We heard a nice story attributed to the father of the current owner - he reputably said 'when there is a tee shirt seen at breakfast it is time to put up our prices'!!
Our fellow guests were mostly delightful and any children were well controlled and behaved.
Two gripes.
1) We thought the boutique, Gatsbys, extremely expensive. Much better to stroll down to the local shopping mall (about 7 mins walk) and get Tommy Hillfiger shirts at a quarter of the price!
2) We thought the hotel extremely expensive. There is no question that the 'experience' is really first class but the Caribbean, in our view, now offers much worse value than the far east and other luxury holiday areas.

• Liked — Service and luxury
  • Disliked — the high price!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

What can I say except - You have to go to Grenada and you have to stay at Spice Island. I am saying this as one who is not easily impressed.

On arrival, although we didn't realise it at the time we were welcomed by the owners son, who made reference to my positive initial remarks when we met him properly later, at the cocktail party.

Grenada is a beautiful Island and benefits from not being exploited for the tourist - PLEASE keep it that way - its why I love it.

We stayed in the sea beach suites . I have stayed in similar accommodation on other islands but this room was superior in every way. The bed was sooooooooo comfy and the skylight over the bath was a super touch.

I cannot recognise the resort or the beach described by the lady with the small child. The beach was cleaned every day by a team of female beach cleaners in high vis jackets. In addition the hotel cleaned the beach as well. I HATE litter and rubbish and I was most impressed at the lengths this team went to to clean the beach - and it was clean. I recognised the efforts of the beach cleaner in my feedback sheet.

The management of this hotel are highly visible, without being intrusive and I liked this.

The food was great (althought I did return food twice in 14 days as it was cold) and if you wanted something off menu you only had to ask. We bumped into Mark the head chef at the bar one evening and next night we enjoyed a wonderful lobster dish - I am not sure any other hotel would accomodate such requests.

After two days we ventured into the local town and we were approached by a tall good looking man who asked us if we were staying in spice island - when we said we were he said he was a chef there and asked us if we enjoyed our dinner the night before - that we impressive.

The resport was full, but apart from lunch time appeared quite empty - which I loved.

The beach sellers were always polite and took no for an answer - we only ever saw one or two and we walked the beach most days.

Sir Hopkins is a charming man and he and his family regularly dined in the restaurant .

The SPA was wonderful and I enjoyed a number of excellent treatments there.

A trip on the eight seater plan to uion island followed by a trip around the grenadines on the scaramouch is a must. As an animal lover the dolphin and whale trip are a must. We saw loads and loads of dolphins and whales - the crew were as excited as us as they saw zero animals over the previous three days.

I always say there are too many places in the world to visit to revisit anywhere but I would go back to Spcie Island.

The staff were excellent and within a couple of days knew us by name and refered to us by name often.

The BA rep (Barbara) was wonderful. It was my partners 40th birthday while we were there and she arranged for us to have dinner on the beach that night. The local rep and the hotel sent my partner a card. When we got back Barbara called me to see how the trip went and sent me a lovely card and photo album. BA prestige will definetely get more business from us.

The local rep was also the best we have ever had.

We met some smashing people on this holiday (the clientelle is typically mature and retired) and we enjoyed some superb dinners with some smashing people.

Without doubt the best relaxing holiday in 20 years of foreign travel.

• Liked — The room and bathroom were large and the bed was sooooooo comfy with a great sea view
  • Disliked — Having to leave it to go home!
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

Spice Island Beach Resort was a well run hotel with good service and food.

It however was not a resort I will be visiting again for a number of reasons:

Although we had been reassured by our travel agent that the sea would be very calm and child friendly (we travelled with an 18 mth old) we were unable to swim in the sea as it was very rough. Locals confirmed that the beach is renowned for having rough water.

The beach was dirty, I found used condoms and their packets on the beach. My daughter thought they would be great to play with. I had other ideas!

While sitting on the beach with my daughter I was accosted by a man who tried to offer me group sex which he claimed other guests were willing to pay for on a regular basis. He was very graphic and obsene and I was very upset as it was in full earshot of my daughter. The hotel manager dealt with it and I did not see the perpertrator again, however I was unable to enjoy the beach as I felt the security was very much under par.
On the same note, we had a junky / hobo sitting outside our room on a number of occasions.

The childcare was terrible. We employed a babysitter to help during the day and sit for our daughter at night. She was not interested in her job at all and spent her time during the day when she should have been playing with my daughter reading my magazines without even asking me if I minded!

The kids club was a lovely facility but needed more toys and proper staff. The kids were just plonked in front of the TV or left to roam around without interaction. The staff did not play with them and all the other parents who were there at the same time as us had the same complaints.

I even found my daughter strapped into her buggy screaming hysterically when I went to check on her!

I have vast experience of babysitters on holiday and I was shocked at their lack of interest and enthusiasm.
If any of the parents went into the kids club and played with the kids the staff looked on in amazement. I can only presume that they are not used to playing with children.
Ordinarily I tip the sitter very generously at the end of a trip, but I was just pleased to see the back of this one.

It was a great shame that the hotel was let down by these points.

• Liked — The hotel had an excellent manager and was very well run.
  • Disliked — The sky light in the bathroom which woke my daughter at the crack of dawn every morning!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Swansea, Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

This is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location and my partner and I had a really fabulous time.
The island : Grenada is a great island and less touristy than other Caribbean islands. Take a trip round the island - it's well worth it - we went by bus on an organised tour. St Georges itself is a fabulous harbour and very photogenic : find the bar at the far end of the first harbour (not the one where the cruise ships dock) and sit and watch the world go by. (Don't feel you have to get a taxi in to town - we walked to the end of the beach and up onto the road and caught local minibuses - 2.50ECD each, and no problem at all - good music too ! (They stop and let you out if you bang the side of the bus. Easy !)
As for Grand Anse beach : deserves its reputation. Totally photogenic again, beautiful sand and sea, great swimming. Weather was fantastic when we were there too - a beautiful breeze all day : so don't burn - the sun is strong. One of the (many) best things about this beach is that it is a public beach and so local people come and go - so when you stay at Spice Island you feel safe, but you also don't feel penned into a compound which is often a problem in all-inclusive hotels. Also, when on the beach, don't be afraid to have a chat with the people who sell stuff there - they really don't hassle you at all, at least, we had no problems whatsoever, in fact, it was nice to meet people. If you say "not today thank you" that's no problem - unlike other places I've been where beach hawkers can be a nightmare.
If you want to go diving, the Aquanauts centre on the beach is very very good. Great staff and good trips - knowledgable and conscientious - and safe.
As for the hotel : we chose a Sea Grape suite which we reckon is the best option. I'm sure the pool suites are fantastic, but they are behind the beach, and maybe get less sunshine and breeze -??? The Oleander garden and ocean suites are also very very nice, but the advantage of the Sea Grape suites is that they actually face (are on) the beach - if you are a beach lover it is beautiful - you sleep to the sound of the waves and wake to the sun and a view of the sea. (Have breakfast served on your patio - no extra charge, and fantastic. Best breakfast ever ! )
On the subject of food - fabulous. Not a buffet like most all-inclusives but a la carte with plenty of choice. 7-8 courses every evening - international and local cuisne. We ate fish nearly all week but the meat and veg courses were good too. Men - beware the dress code at evening meals - no sandals or cut-off trousers/jeans - and they specify collared shirts (ties not necessary though !!!) so pack long trousers and shoes of some kind. Don't be put off though - in spite of this the atmosphere is relaxed.
In fact it is quite a quiet hotel - the bar was never noisy when we were there - I wouldn't recommend it to people wanting a lot of nightlife. Perfect for couples and relaxing though.
The only problem was - a week wasn't long enough. I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — quality, design, location
  • Disliked — nothing
Worthing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

We booked Spice Island for our Honeymoon destination after lots of research on various different islands/hotels etc. We were not disappointed with Spice Island and was everything we hoped it would be. We had a standard room which was absolutely lovely, probably one of the nicest standard rooms we have stayed in - with a massive bed and bath together with molton brown products !!!!! The hotel itself was lovely, the staff were great and the beach was fantastic. The food was good too, although sometimes on the fussy side but the staff were only too happy to change something on the menu or make you a sandwich or something lighter at lunch! Even some mornings when we hadnt made it to breakfast we would get a call from the restaurant and they would ask us if we wanted any breakfast brought to our room - now thats what i call service !! All in all a fantastic honeymoon and if i did have to find any fault it would be that when we went the hotel was rather empty (June is apparently their quiet season!!) - i think at one point only about 20 guests were there so it did feel very quiet at times but we did make some friends (hi Bob & Marie!!) which made the holiday even better !!! Overall a fantastic 12 days at Spice Island and money well spent !!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
#7 of 16 in St. George's
4.0 of 5 stars 558 reviews
Sandals LaSource Grenada Resort and Spa
Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club

Been to Spice Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!