“perfect vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fair House Villas & Spa

You added Fair House Villas & Spa to your Saves list
Fair House Villas & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   39 Moo 1, Maenam Beach, Mae Nam, Ko Samui 84330, Thailand   |
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Mae Nam
4.5 of 5 stars 347 Reviews
Oslo, Norway
“perfect vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Me and some friends stayed at this hotel in the end of june and loved our stay! We were greeted by very friendly staff members, and our room was beautiful! The bathroom was large and very nice decorated. It was always clean which is something that was very important to us. Through our entire stay the staff did everything to make our stay perfect, from driving us to the nearest supermarket when we needed to buy something to ordering ferry tickets and driving us/picking us up when we visited islands nearby or other places.

The pool area and the beach was great. During our stay we only had a few sunny days, so this might be one of the reasons why we did not experience that the pool area was crowded. We ate at the hotel almost every day, and they offered a varied menu with delicious thai food and also pizzas etc. The breakfast was also good, and they for instance had an 'egg station' where they would make your choice of eggs.

Overall I would say that this hotel is perfect for a relaxing holiday, and that you get a lot for the money you spend. Thank you Fairhouse!

Maiken

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Maiken,

Thank you for your kind review. I am very happy to see that you and your friends enjoyed such a nice time at Fair House Villas & Spa and that you felt you got more than you paid for. I am especially proud to see that the team was so helpful and service minded throughout your stay, which is very important to us. I am also happy that you enjoyed our food and beverage selection as well as our breakfast.

Again thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again for your next trip to Koh Samui.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay here and wished we could have stayed more than two nights! Beautiful rooms in the garden villas- a huge bed (somewhere between a king size and two doubles) and amazing bath and all beautifully furnished and decorated! The pool area was great- can get noisy sometimes because of kids, so i would recommend sitting a little further back but it was never a problem. We didn't get breakfast included so we ordered a la cart, but were disappointed with oily bacon and eggs- unmemorable! However/ there were a lot of resturaunts along the main road (which the staff insisted on driving us to on the hotel buggy as its about 10min walk along unpaved rd) where we often ate. Overall- amazing place to stay for relaxing and quiet holiday!

• Stayed July 2013
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Woods0692,

Many thanks for your review. I am glad you enjoyed such a nice and relaxing time with us during your holidays. I also appreciate your comments and your recommendation. I am sorry that our bacon and eggs for breakfast did not impress you, but I am glad to see that you were able to enjoy some of the nice local cuisine. I am also happy that our staff were helpful to drive you out to the main road in our golf buggy.

Thank you as well for coming to stay with us. We hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We visited the Fairhouse Villas and Spa in June 2013. What can we say....perfection on a private beach!!
We arrived on a sweltering day to a very lovely welcome and an ice cold local juice drink. We had booked into a sunset jacuzzi room for 10 nights and then discovered that we had very kindly been upgraded to a beachfront pool villa!! We were extremely grateful for this after a 20 hour journey and the fact that our airline had misplaced our bags for the last three days whilst we had been in Bangkok!
We were taken to our suite on a golf buggy (our luggage was taken for us separately) and shown around our beautiful villa by a lovely lady from the reception team. Our private pool was absolutely amazing and the villa itself was just beautiful. The level of decor was fantastic, the amount of money that it must have taken to fit out all the rooms in the beautiful dark wooden furniture must have been huge but it was definitely with it.
Our bed was a beautiful four poster with the classic white drapes and there were fresh flower heads dotted around in tissue boxes, on pillows, by the bath etc.
Our villa had an area directly in front of it with 2 sun loungers on just for us with at least 5 metres of space each side before the next set was placed. Plus there were ‘strategically placed’ planters in between too so you really did feel like you were sitting on your very own private beach.....bliss!!
We decided to book ourselves in for a treatment in the spa that evening and I’m very glad we did! We were booked into a double treatment room and enjoyed wonderful massages for the next 45 minutes. The masseurs were obviously trained to a high level as I have always held tension in my right shoulder blade and I can tell a good masseur as they realise this quickly and work on this area...needless to say it was singled out straight away! We left the spa feeling amazingly relaxed and ready to start our holiday!
The restaurant is a beautiful open sided area and we found the food and service to be second to none. The staff were so attentive and there was always a smile on hand at any time of the day.
We also ordered room service twice and both times it came in record time, freshly cooked food delivered directly to our door within 15 minutes (and surprisingly it was the same price as if we’d have gone over to the restaurant).
We only went in the main pool once as we had our own one but it was lovely and nicely set on different levels so that it didn’t feel crowded (although the resort was very quiet whilst we were there anyway, which was great). It was a lovely touch to have a swim up bar with submerged stools shaped as turtle backs too.
The cocktails were lovely and we loved the happy hour each night (we even tried to replicate our favourites when we returned home but they just didn’t taste as good!).
We went back to the spa later on in the holiday and found it to be just as amazing as the first time. You step out feeling like you’re floating!
There is an organic garden onsite too and you can have the opportunity to plant your own tree and place a name plaque so we did this and love the fact that we’ve left a piece of our holiday there growing (whilst we unfortunately had to leave!)
The lovely lovely people that work there really made such an effort to make us feel welcome and valued as guests, we could not fault the service level at the Fairhouse. Everyone was so polite and gracious and we really felt comfortable and well taken care of on our holiday.
The shuttle bus (a lovely 8 seater minibus with leather seats and air conditioning) was great as we often went into Chewang and this was a handy touch.
We travelled the majority of the island when we hired a car for a couple of days and from looking around at the other hotels and resorts we definitely felt that we were in the nicest area and in one of the best hotels on the island. When travelling around we spotted a few of the hotels we remember looking at on the internet when we were booking and said to each other that we were so glad we choose ours!
We were so sad to leave but we would definitely visit Koh Samui again in the future and there’s no question that we would stay at the Fairhouse.
I always feel that it is important to take the time to give positive feedback as these days people jump so quickly to criticise and leave negative feedback but don’t often take the time to report on the good things. I filled out our check-out questionnaire and wrote how impressed I was with the whole holiday. A few days after we returned home I received an email from Vigbjorn, the operations manager, personally thanking me for my feedback and for choosing the Fairhouse. It was a lovely email, finishing off with “Again many thanks for staying with us. I hope you had a safe trip home and a smooth transition back into your everyday routines. We sincerely hope we will have the honour of welcoming you back one day in the future”. I read this as I was just heading through the car park into work on a rainy Manchester morning and I tell you I nearly turned round, picked up my husband and boarded a flight back!!
So to sum it up, as you can guess from the above(!), we would definitely recommend The Fairhouse as an absolutely beautiful and tranquil place to spend your hard earned holiday. We will be returning as soon as we can!
Thank you Fairhouse!
Nina & David Templeton, UK

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Templeton,

I have to say, after spending a lot of my time and effort responding to feedback for the past few years, this has to be one of the most heart-warming reviews I have had the honor of responding to. It is not just the fact that you enjoyed your stay, which I am obviously thrilled about. I am mostly grateful for the time you have taken to elaborate into such detail, which is of great value to us.

Of course, a big factor to making your stay so memorable was the complimentary upgrade we were able to offer you, which was our pleasure. Of course this is nothing we can guarantee or which we want future guests to expect this, but our front office team does try to play around with our availability so we can arrange for these kind of surprises for our guests. Priority is always given to direct bookers, who we also quote the best prices. Again, I do not want guests to be disappointed if they are not upgraded, and keep in mind that even our standard category rooms, the Garden Villa, is a very nice room with a high value for money.

Thank you for all the kind words on our rooms design, décor, spa services, restaurant service, shuttle service, beach, pool, cocktail and all the other things as well. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay. Especially I am happy to see that the team did such a good job to serve you during your stay. I will be sure to compliment them on their good work. If you want, please write me a list of your favorite cocktails and I will get our Bar Manager to send you the detailed recipes. Some can be hard to recreate 100% due to fresh, local ingredients (some we even pick straight from our garden), but it is worth a try.

As for the question you asked in the review title “how soon can we go back?”, the answer from us has to be as soon as possible. Nothing makes our team happier than seeing members of the now world-wide fair house family return to stay us.

Again thank you for your kind and valuable review. I wish you both a lovely end to your summer. When it does start to get cold, please remember that we are ready to welcome you back to our tropical island any time.

Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel is set up in a very different way. The rooms are nice and spread out but a lot of climbing up and down the hills is needed to get from area to area but it makes it an experience. The rooms are great especially the one we have with the jacuzzi outside on the balcony. The service was average but the food and drinks were great. Location is a bit far from some other things to do but the location and view of this hotel made up for it. The hotel even had some event that was free for guests with food and drinks included at the event. The pool and in-pool bar were some of the highlights of the trip here.

Room Tip: The rooms with jacuzzis are higher on the hills than the other rooms. i'd recommend the jacuzzi...
Dear Hawdeez,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for giving us your feedback on your experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall, but disappointing that our service only cam across as average. The two room categories with Jacuzzi on the terrace, the Sunset Jacuzzi and especially the Sunset Suites, are quite popular among honeymooners and couples. As you correctly mention, we are not in the middle of everything and I believe this is a strength just as much as it is a weakness. The most crowded areas can be “too much” for some, especially over a long period of time and for those who travel to relax. Most of our returning guests point out this reason.

Again many thanks for your review and your thoughts. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Aarschot, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and took a shared taxi to the hotel. Check in was easy and very friendly. We were shown around the hotel on a golf cart and taken to our room. The room was very spacious and clean. Bathroom is also clean and spacious. There is nothing wrong with the rooms although I would advice asking for a spare key as you'll only get one when checking in.
At first look everything seemed to be ok in this hotel. But then you start looking beyond the first side. The amenities are just poor. First disappointment was the pool. It's big and water is nice but it was dirty. I am sure it hadn't been cleaned all day. And this has nothing to do with renovation this is basic cleaning. And yes the pool is old and doesn't look that appealing. And I know that the manager is going to react on this and say "we have a renovation planned an blabla, waiting for low season..." Just do it! There have been numerous people telling you this in the past (review april, february...) I stayed at a 5* hotel in BKK and they closed the rooftop pool for renovation during this season. You will always be waiting and you will always disappoint guests. Same thing on the umbrella's. They are so worn out you wouldn't believe. This doesn't happen overnight. So again should have been done sooner. Same on the towels by the pool. They are just plain old and worn out. (Read review august 2012!!!) Same goes for the linnen in the rooms. All should be replaced immediatly. I don't buy the excuses, sorry.
On to the restaurant. Well, not much I can say about it. I think the prices are ok for the standard on the island. But the food lacked taste. I asked Thai style but the food was just dull. So price/quality there are better options. But the breakfast was good with plenty of choice and fresh products. Pastry is always a tricky on when you can't make them yourself but the quality was ok.
Rented scooter from the hotel no problems there. I would suggest to offer free transfer to the airport though. Charging 500 baht for a ride to the airport which is an 8 km ride is ridiculous. Especially if you are using the hotelvan that are just sitting there not being used. I would expect a bit more customer service.
Because that's my conclusion. Staff is very friendly and willing to help. But I think managment isn't as customer minded as they pretend to be when reacting to these reviews. I know the manager will be reading this and will probably react to this with the same excuses he uses in all the other reviews. But there is only so many times you can excuse yourself. So instead of writing an elaborately long response to this review trying to convince other readers it isn't that bad and you are on top of it, act. Get things done. Because if not you'll be looking into a lot more reviews like this in the future.
I am sure this hotel has potential but looking back on my stay I am glad I got a great discount through the booking site.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear edwinaarschot,

Thank you for your review and your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your room along with certain other aspects of your experience, but also sorry to see that your overall stay with us was not better than “average”.

It seems the problems were mainly the state of our beach umbrellas, swimming pool and pool towels. It is clear that the condition of these three elements have been below our standards for a while. The good news is that our new umbrellas have already arrived (unfortunately not in time for your stay), together with new sunbed mattresses. We are still waiting for the new towels and my hope is that they are ready for our high season in August. I understand that when reading past reviews it can seem very repetitive with these things being mentioned several times. I was caught a bit off guard myself with how long the ordering and delivery process has taken. The umbrellas you saw here were not much more than a year old, but as you mentioned the condition was already unacceptable. Even after only six months, the quality had deteriorated severely this was when we decided they needed to be replaced. Since this is a significant investment, we obviously had to find a new supplier and make sure we did not make the same mistake again. That process, together with the delivery was much longer than we had hoped and that was the reason for the delay. It is not intended as an excuse and I understand that this does not help you much at this point. I just do not want you, or anyone else, to believe that we are simply making up excuses in these responses to avoid any investments or extra work. Guest feedback is our number one tool to improve our facilities and our services and we do try to be reactive and flexible. Regrettably, some processes can be a bit less straight-forward than simply setting the budget and making the decision.

As for the swimming pool renovation I have tried to be as honest as possible in these responses. Not in order to delay the inevitable or save the investment, it is simply to be honest with the guests arriving in the coming few months that the pool, although fully functional and usable, is indeed mature for a renovation. I would like nothing more than to push the dates of the renovation forward, but it would not be fair to those guests who have already booked their stay. Our contracts with agents and tour operators make it impossible to simply close down our pool 20 days for renovation whenever we want. These projects need to be coordinated and planned far in advance. It will always be someone who is affected, but we decided with our agents that it is better to do it in November during low season than now when we have more than a hundred guests in house on average. We understand very well that many guests would prefer the renovation to be done in time for their stay and that this will reflect in the feedback. However, I suspect that your feedback would not be much better if our only swimming pool would have been closed for construction work during your stay.

The reason I take my time to write these responses is not to make excuses, take away focus or cover up/delay any issues we may have. This is actually a very useful channel to educate future travellers about our hotel. When two reviews mention the same point, I will answer them both as honest as I can to the best of my abilities. I understand that this can seem repetitive and does not necessarily help the reviewer, but it might be useful for future guests to understand whether they would like to stay with us or not. We would never want to write something untruthful since we do not have any interest in disappointing people and we know very well it would come back to bite us. The main thing is to give guests an idea of what we are and what we offer. That way, the guests can make a more accurate decision on whether or not they would like to stay with us. We do not want to paint a perfect image for potential guests and then have them disappointed when they come to see the real thing. I honestly believe that guests who take their time and look at the big picture from these reviews will get a fairly good understanding of who we are. Any one review will always be highly subjective, but 211 reviews will give a fairly good impression. We simply want to make sure that the guests who come have picked us for the right reasons and will indeed be satisfied with their choice, and this is a great channel for us to do so.

Again many thanks for your comments. I truly appreciate your input and respect your suggestions. Sometimes we cannot make the improvements as quickly as we would like, but we can set ourselves up for a better future and learn from our errors. Thanks partly to valuable feedback such as yours, we can continuously work towards a better overall experience for future guests.

Vigbjorn Hassel Vaage
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We arrived quite late at night and was welcomed by the guy on the night-shift. Still we received a welcome drink and a quick tour around the resort. The room had been beautifully decorated with flowers.

We stayed in a sunset jacuzzi suite (107). The room lived up to its name as you could sit in the side-by-side Jacuzzi on the balcony and enjoy the sunset :-). The room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The balcony was large and very private and had fantastic view over the ocean and Maenam. Maintenance however could be better, all the doors was a bit skewed and hard to close. The front door even had a small gap in the top due to the door being skewed. When this was pointed out to the reception, the janitors showed up 30min later and improvised a fix. This should probably have been reported by housekeeping and fixed properly prior to our arrival, but at least it was fixed quickly when it was pointed out.
Like some other reviewers has pointed out, the sunset villas are situated on a small hillside, meaning that there is a couple of hundreds of meters and quite a few steps between the rooms and the pool/restaurant area. We found this to be a pleasant little walk, but I understand that this can be more challenging for people with physical disabilities etc.

The pool and recreational areas had a nice lay-out providing a nice mix of beds in both central area and more private areas closer to the beach. The resort never felt crowded in any way.

The beach however, is nicer to look at than to try to swim from. The seabed was a bit muddy and as part of environmental restoration project the resort had planted coral reefs that can be a bit unpleasant if not swimming shoes are worn.

The bar and restaurant closes at 11, there is almost a kilometer to the main road, but this just confirms what we think is the biggest selling point of Fair House, the quiet surroundings and relaxed atmosphere.

The staff was very kind and genuinely service minded (even by Thai standards!).

Bottom line is that Fair House is ideal for anyone just looking for a place to relax. We had originally booked for 4 nights, but enjoyed the place so much we actually stayed for 12 nights!

Room Tip: The sunset suites, situated on a small hill on the side of the resort has a great view over the beac...
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The location was nice and quiet. A bit away from it all, but still walking distance to Bo Phut. It was also right next door to W Retreat (which is worth a look during the day and at night). Family Marts (convenience stores) are well within walking distance.

Motorbikes are available at the front desk for a reasonable price. They are, without a doubt, the best way to get around the island.

The villas are spacious and well lit. The bathroom was enormous. The bath itself left nothing wanting. The whole villa was adorned with orchids on arrival, which gave it romantic flair.

The pool is gorgeous. An infinity pool with different layers, jet-massage lounges, and a swim-up bar. There wasn't much beach (be it low tide or high tide) and the sand was rather rough. Kayaks were a free fun option.

Our upsets:
1. The customer service was very hit or miss. Some of the staff were absolutely terrific, but many were just rude. We would walk up to the front desk not sure if we would receive a huge smile, or a "what do you want" glare.
2. The villas were plush, but were missing a few very basic amenities. (i.e. handsoap and a "please do not disturb" sign....We used the "bath bubbles" for handsoap, and had to make our own sign when we wanted to sleep-in).
3. The restaurant was obscenely overpriced--be it breakfast, lunch or dinner.
4. The hotel guide book claimed that DVD players were obtained for no cost at the front desk--but it took three different employees telling us that it would cost us 250 baht for 24 hours before we had to get the hotel guide out of the room to show them that we wouldn't be paying. We finally got it complimentary, as advertised.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Katimay,

Many thanks for your review. I appreciate your honest and valuable feedback, although I am obviously disappointed that we were not able to impress you more during your stay.

I appreciate your kind comments on our location and I am glad you liked your room, the area and our pool area.

I am both surprised and disappointed that our service came across as inconsistent. This is normally an area where we score very high and I apologize that we were not able to make a better impression on you in this area. I will have a word with our service teams again to refresh the importance of consistency. The “big smiles” and “terrific staff” you mentioned is where we strive to be at and it is a great shame you did not get to experience that consistently. It can sometimes be an issue with language understanding, as it sometimes takes quite a few months to bring new staff up to desired level of English proficiency. However, we do try to manage this as well as we can by scheduling to always have someone on shift in all areas who speaks well English. Sometimes it can be quite demanding to get complex messages across and we do appreciate our guests’ patience and understanding for this. However, they should never come across as rude and I apologize if it came across that way.

The pricing level in our restaurant can seem a bit high when compared to local-style restaurants and bars. However, compared to similar level restaurants, especially in similar level hotels, our restaurant is priced fairly reasonably. It has to be mentioned that our restaurant is operated by a professional kitchen led by an experienced chef, following international level of hygiene and control standards. In Thailand there are very few, if any, requirements to open a restaurant, which makes it possible to do so extremely cheap. In our case, we cannot do that, simply due do the standards of service, hygiene, food quality, salaries and suppliers which we have decided to follow. We always encourage guest to enjoy the local cuisine and restaurant and most travellers will not have any issues doing so. However, we cannot risk lowering our quality or safety standards simply to match these restaurants in terms of price. It is clear that our prices can seem high in a simple comparison, but we also firmly believe that the quality of service, food, atmosphere and kitchen hygiene of The Bre-Eze restaurant ensures an overall high-value experience for the guests.

We are right now in a transition period in terms of hand soap. We are switching to a soap selection model for certain room categories, where guests can choose their fragrance of hand soap upon check in. At the moment we are using our bath foam bottles for the hand soap, but there SHOULD be a sticker on them to explain that it is hand soap and not bath foam. Similarly, a Do Not Disturb sign is standard in all of our rooms and it is unfortunate that you did not have one. Most likely in these cases the previous guest in this room was impressed with our hand-made wooden DND signs, decided to take it home and the room attended did not notice it was missing before you checked in. I apologize for this. We would have gladly provided you with one if you would have mentioned it. I will find out which room you stayed in and make sure that all these things are corrected for future travellers. Many thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The issue with the DVD player is also quite unfortunate, but I believe it has been sorted now in the meantime. The issue is that some of our agents claimed different prices for it, our room directories (which we are also re-doing these days) claimed one thing and our front office staff were stuck somewhere in the middle. It has now been clarified and again I am sorry that you experienced this problem.

Again many thanks for your review. I am sorry for the lengthy reply, but we sincerely do appreciate your feedback and comments, which help us improve our standards and service delivery for future travellers.

Vigbjorn Hassel Vaage
Operations Manager

Been to Fair House Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!