“nice beach, rather poor bungalows” 3 of 5 stars

Lolita Bungalows
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   151 Moo 1, Mae Nam, Ko Samui 84330, Thailand   |
Ranked #17 of 37 Specialty Lodging in Mae Nam
Vienna, Austria
“nice beach, rather poor bungalows”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

lolita bungalows is located on mae nam beach, which is a really beautiful and quiet spot on koh samui.

the bungalows are rather poor though, smelling mouldy, at times there is no hot water or electricity. air con is old and loud. they want you to pay 100 thb a day for internet when the connection is not working in the bungalows. breakfast is not included, and while i understand this is high season they are rather overprized.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Lolita is a decent place to stay - although honestly there's nothing particular special about the place itself. But it is located at the most beautiful part of Samui's coast, in my opinion, and I never found a place as calm and relaxing again.. If I could spend a half year sabbatical doing nothing, I'd do it there..

• Stayed August 2011
Rawai, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I have just soent three nights at the Lolita Bungalows in Ko Samui. The location is good, price is about right for March, cheap at Baht 800 for a fan room, no A/C, beach is clean. In the bungalow there was no soap and no plug for the wash basin. Only one fan worked. After my first day touring, I returned to my bungalow to find brand new bottles of after shave and moisturiser were missing. I told the manager who spoke to the housekeeper. The next day, I found that the housekeeper had removed my used towels but had not replaced them with clean towels and as it was late evenung, the management had closed up shop. As I was checking out and complained about the missing items and towels, the manager just kept shouting at me in Thai. I would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Choose one with a beach view, more expensive but probably worth it
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
bangkok ,thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

August 2009 We are very happy in Lolita Bungalow, peaceful, charming, inexpensive, and with the bungalow right on the beach, the perfect setting. Highly ecommended. Happy Birthday to ART & OAK on 23 and 24 AUG .2009.at Lolita Bungalow Samui ...and honeymoon for ART&TONY... 2 years ago. WE LOVED IT AND WE WILL BE BACK AGAIN. MISS all of the staff of Lolita Bungalow Samui too.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed for two nights on Koh Samui before heading to Koh Phangan, we choose the Lolita due to its location on a nice, relatively quiet beach in Koh Samui and near the Lomprayah pier. We ended up deeply regretting our decision.
The service at Lolita was downright rude. We arrived in the midst of a heavy storm. Our room key was thrust into our hand without so much as a hello, and the manager grunted at us that we were in bungalow 5. Mind you, we did not choose the cheapest bungalow at Lolita, we wanted to be on the beach and so paid the extra money for a front row bungalow. We were springing for a fancy resort later in our trip however and could not spend the additional money on a "superior" bungalow. I wish we had (although I'm not sure how much better they are).
In any case, the view was truly the only saving grace of our bungalow. It was in dire need of a little revision. Some paint, new tiles and updated furniture would go a long way for the Lolita! As was, the room was outdated and kind of gross. The shower only worked when it wanted to and was nothing more than a drain in the corner of the bathroom with a hose and shower head above. The rest of the furniture was very rundown, the quality was that of cheap furniture that has been used and abused for about 25 years. The door did not fit the door frame properly, as a result there were large gaps in which the mosquitos could fly. There was no mosquito net, and no modern amenities to speak of such as television or a phone. There was an extremely loud, rattling air conditioner...
Worst of all was the lack of basic safety measures. The stairs leading up to the bungalow were all tile, there was nothing to prevent slipping and my husband had quite a scary accident when he fell down the stairs when they were slick after another rain storm. He was carrying glasses in his hands when he fell, that he was trying to return to the kitchen at Lolita. They of course shattered in the fall, he was cut up and bleeding and had badly bruised his back in the fall. The Lolita management witnessed his fall and did not hurry in anyway to help him. They took their time to come over and when they did, they only attended to the shattered glass, not even asking if he was okay. Turns out he was more shaken up than actually hurt, but it was very scary and could easily have been prevented if Lolita would cough up the money to put rubber edges on the stairs. We noticed afterwards that the "superior" bungalows have them, I guess safety is what you get for the extra money.
To top off this terrible experience, we asked Lolita to book the Lomprayah tickets for us (for which she receives a commission). She told us that her taxi driver would need to pick us up at 7 for the 8 o'clock boat. We also asked to use the phone to inform our next hotel of our arrival time. While on the phone, my husband set down the handset for a second to ask me a question, Lolita picked up the phone and started to hang up, telling us that she was paying for the call. My husband quickly finished the phonecall and afterwards she said "phone call expensive, if you pay it okay, but you no pay". Seriously, we used the phone for a local call that lasted 3 minutes tops. If she wanted us to pay she could have politely asked.
The next morning the taxi knocked on our door at 6:30 am. We told him he was half an hour early, he said "traffic, traffic". We hurried and got ready, leaving at about 5 minutes to 7. We promptly arrived at the Lompraya boat at 7 am, after a 5 minute drive! We were furious that they rushed us and made us get up so early for such a short trip. As an extra parting gift, when we turned in our room key to Lolita, we told her that we had left the door open for cleaning she said "Ok, ok" and that was it, once again no thank you, enjoy the rest of your trip, not even good bye!
I apologize for the length and gritty detail here, but I really want to avoid other travelers such a horrible experience! Your money is MUCH better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

We returned to Lolita in February having discovered its pleasures last August. It is, without doubt, the best value, and on the best part of Maenam beach. I don't know what the detractors were expecting, but it is exactly what we were: quiet, peaceful, charming, inexpensive, and with the bungalow right on the beach, the perfect setting. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
devon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

we booked 6 nights but stayed 1 bungalows look the part but are very tired the drive up to bungalows is made up with broken bricks and tiles very scruffy the sheets on the bed were ripped the towels were badly stained and smelled the very old furniture was either damaged or mouldy toilet was unclean and stained.we stayed 1 night and moved to a really nice place which was 500 baht/night cheaper.

Stayed December 2008, traveled with family

Been to Lolita Bungalows? Share your experiences!