“Simply amazing! So glad I chose the W for my wedding.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat Koh Samui

You added W Retreat Koh Samui to your Saves list
W Retreat Koh Samui
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4/1 Moo 1 Tambol Maenam | Surat Thani, Mae Nam, Ko Samui 84330, Thailand   |
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Mae Nam
Sydney
“Simply amazing! So glad I chose the W for my wedding.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had been in contact with the W Samui for around a year before the big week finally arrived. I chose to get married at the W Samui after contacting 10 five star properties on the island and the W was the first to reply and instead of just sending a standard "wedding package" actually provided a custom response and answered all my questions individually.
We arrived 5 nights before the wedding before check-in time and were greeted at reception by the GM, events contact and operational manager who showed us around the property and offered us breakfast while we waited for our rooms.
The staff were extremely attentive and always made sure everything was done exactly how we wanted and as planned.
The breakfasts were a slight let down in the variety on offer. Everything on offer was excellent, we just felt that for a 5 star+ property the selection would be better especially the fruits which were basic.
The rooms were absolutely stunning, large and had every amenity you could ever imagine needing.
We got married on the beach at sunset and this was followed by a seated dinner and dancing on the W beach and SIP bar.
All 80+ people commented on the stunning resort grounds, attentive and impeccable service and the amazing food spread.
One area of improvement as well would be the manicure service which was not up to scratch but honestly I forgive them I just re-did my nails myself.
They were also kind in giving my parents and sister late check-out free of charge and again nothing was ever too much trouble for them.
The hotel also put me on to a wonderful lady Khun Chat who owns a production/event company called Bliss Events. She organised all our events we had in addition to the wedding - we have a family dinner and cocktail party the two nights before the wedding. Khun Chat also arranged our make up and hair artists who were excellent and did all the flowers and styling for the event.
My experience with the W will mean I will forever be loyal to a W no matter what city I visit now. Having stayed at 5+ star properties before I can confidently say this resort has it all and more!
I am usually not a huge fan of resorts in slightly remote areas however, because the resort was so fantastic we never wanted to even consider leaving and did once or twice for a meal in nearby Bophut or Chaweng.
We will be back! Special thank you to JJ our events contact at the W who never left our side and made sure everything was 110%.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Carla,

Wonderful to see a review of your wedding event on Tripadvisor. I trust the honeymooning went well and you're back in Australia.

That was a week that kept us all busy; we really enjoyed having your guests here at W- such a lively and genuinely warm group of folks. We had to give JJ some time off after the celebrations to recover!

I appreciate you sharing the specifics of your stay, we'll pay attention to the manicure service and breakfast offerings. And we'll certain pass along your compliments to Khun Chat.

All the W team send their best to you and David and we look forward to seeing you both back in Koh Samui in the future.

Brian Segrave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Great beach, location and facilities.
The service is absolutely appalling. Stayed for 4 Nights. Took 4 hours to check in and get our rooms, got here at 4pm, got to our rooms at 8pm. Pure incompetence. And the stories went on and on. Room not cleaned for 3 days....

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Zylon,

Many thanks for sharing your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui.

As you are aware I have reached out to you privately by Tripadvisor message to get further details on your visit so we can take the appropriate corrective action. Unfortunately as you have declined to provide any further specifics I am unable to address the circumstances you report.

We would have appreciated the opportunity to address your dissatisfaction while with us as our guest, however I apologize that you did not have a positive experience at W.

Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

A truly spectacular property, from the moment you arrive at the front entrance, and catch the view in through the entry corridor and lobby, out across the infinity pool with recessed seating areas at the Woo Bar, over the infinity edge to the sea beyond. The place is swarming with friendly and attentive staff. Check in was a breeze, then off via golf cart to our Beachside Retreat. Each retreat has a center reception area with mini bar, coffee maker, etc, with the living area and bedroom on one side, and the expansive bathroom on the other, including a cleverly integrated outdoor shower with glass walls all around situated between the reception area and main bathroom, where there is another beautiful shower and huge tub. There is direct access to your private pool from both the bathroom and the bedroom areas, and a nice covered outdoor lounging area, and two individual lounge chairs, all surrounded by lush landscaping and privacy walls. The beach area is also quite nice, with a pleasant bar, ample selection and variety of seating, and a nice beach. Of course, there is also a well equipped gym and beautiful spa. There are two main dining venues, The Kitchen Table, where breakfast (included) is served to all guests, which also serves lunch and dinner till late. Namu, an upscale Japanese restaurant, is located at beach level near the bar. The Woo Bar off the lobby has spectacular seating and sweeping views over the ocean. While not inexpensive, this property is worth it if you are looking for an upscale luxury retreat on a tropical island. It's a bit far from town, but the resort offers three times a day free shuttle service to town, which is handy, and offers a private taxi service also for fees slightly higher than the hit or miss local taxis.

Room Tip: You almost can't go wrong here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Wohlerguy,

Many thanks for your detailed review of W Retreat Koh Samui, we appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions of our resort. It was wonderful to learn that you found our talent attentive and friendly throughout your stay.

I have shared your insights on retreat design and restaurant facilities with our team here who are delighted to hear of your positive experience.

We look forward to seeing you back at W Retreat Koh Samui in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed at w retreat in February for 5 nights. We are frequent visitors to samui and this is our 5th visit. Previously we have stayed at four seasons, six senses and various other 5 stars hotels.
To be honest we are a little disappointed with W retreat, maybe because we had other very high standard hotels to compare with. On overall, W retreat has the best beach and the best private pool (we stayed at ocean view escape). However everything else was not as nice as either six senses or four seasons. In particularly the service, to be fair a few couple of staffs are very professional but most are quite inexperienced and not very polite, we didn't feel like they are trying their best. Service at four seasons and six senses are in a different league from our opinions. Breakfast area terrace design is not very nice, what a waste of the fantastic view. Breakfast selection not as impressive as six ‪senses‬, no fresh juice bar, fresh fruits bar, free champagne and a la carte main course selection. Service is pretty bad, we have to ask a waitress to come over everytime we want to refill our coffee and we need to repeat the order every single time. Nobody cares to remember what coffee we drink everyday day for 6 consecutive days while other hotels we stayed in remember straight away second day, and even remember our names. Sometimes a small touch like this makes a big difference. Also when we checked out we had to wait because another guests are checking out first, which was fine and we were asked to sit at the chairs in front of the counter, but another couple arrived later then us and went straight to the counter and got checked out straight away, I think they have forgotten about us as we waited not until we complaint and they processed our request straight away, such things will not happen in 5 star hotel resort in Koh samui.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Jc894,

Many thanks for sharing your impressions of W Retreat Koh Samui. I apologize that you did not find our service not up to expectations.

I have share your comments specific to the breakfast experience with our B&F team to ensure that we focus on consistency and selection.

Thank you for letting us know and we look forward to seeing you soon again at W.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Can't really complain as the service was excellent and the staff really helpful which is usually my evaluation priority. There were a few things that did not coincide with my expectations. Firstly, i we did not like the cheap plastic lamination used for villas interior decoration. Then the old air conditioning system in villa was roaring like an airplane engine so that we could not sleep at night at all. The last thing was the poor variety of fruits during the breakfast. Except for oranges, pineapples, apples and bananas there was nothing. When I asked the restaurant manager what had happened to mangoes, leeches, mangosteens, dragon fruits and others available for pennies on the local market I got the answer that the hotel had the custom of offering what was most accustomed fruits for most of the guests... The next morning I brought my own mangoes and asked to peel them. To my surprise the morning after the restaurant manager brought three (!) peeled mangosteens, that he said he'd bought specifically for me. Nothing for the other guests...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Boris S,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui. So glad to know you found the service excellent and our talent helpful.

I have taken note of your comments on the retreat air conditioning unit and our breakfast fruit selection for follow up with our operations team.

We look forward to seeing you soon again at w.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Since my husband and I had a perfect wonderful honeymoon experience in W Maldives last year, we strongly believe that W retreat in Koh Samui would be another wise choice. Overall this time in W , I would give a four star. Highly appreciate 'whatever whenever 'services and the friendly staffs , I think these are W values to train staff worldwide to provide a high standard yet warm services , these services were so familiar to me. The housekeepers really took care our daily needs without need us waiting long and sometimes they would offer services without asking esp. buggy services. But I can't give 5 stars coz they missed the shuttle pick up arrangement for us, that was quite unbelievable. After almost two hours, we finally arrived W retreat( didn't repeat detail story here, normally only took 15 mins driving distance from airport to W) , retreat welcome manager Ms Wan she greeted us by herself and without us asking, host us a lunch and delayed our check out to 4 pm and arranged their Mercedes to send us back to airport. After all bad experiences, her warm greetings and offer to compensate our time lost was highly appreciated and practical move. Therefore bad feeling disappeared very soon. Moreover another day we joined a tour outside but the tour company missing pick us from hotel. The male staffs in front entrance helped us to talk to the tour company. I would use this chance to thank their help due to it wasn't their fault but the staff use their own mobile to call the tour company and bargain for us, finally the tour company agreed to send us taxi at their cost. The front entrance staff even reassured that he would keep follow with them until we reached the destination. W staff were very professional and friendly even the security guard he saw us everytime he would greeted us happily. I still remember his big smile:)
Spa were perfect and reasonable price. We did 6 treatments. Spa manager offered us buy 3 get 1. Plus she also recommended 'bubble of love' for couple. We super loved this bubble of love 2 hours treatment. It was relaxed and romantic! Thanks spa manager 's special offer.
Food was good, we tried Namu and kitchen, ingredients were fresh and high quality. Worth to try the Thai testing menu and sashimi in Namu.
Private beach not as good as expected, too many sharp coral in the sea and sand not smooth. Remember to borrow their swim shoes before get into sea. If for sun bath only , no complain. And I suggest W deliver the daily 'fit excercises'schedule to guest room. It only display on beach.
For room, personally I like tropical oasis. Among others, I think this room type have higher privacy even more than Ocean view. And you will really hear tropical birds sing! Rooms seems not keeping new enough, esp bathroom but feel modern. Towels , bed sheets and other stuffs have no problem.
Other stuffs like complimentary sweet spots, water. green apples, daily sweets, if you have been to W, you will get used to these and never tired of these:) Finally I asked myself, will I come back again? Yes

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear VickyplusEric,

Many thanks for posting your impressions of W Retreat Koh Samui.

It was good to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular our spa and complimentary sweet spots. So pleased to learn that you found our talent friendly and responsive.

I apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with our transportation service. This can be quite frustrating and I am glad Khun Wan was able to mitigate this disruption somewhat. We will review internally to avoid this type of problem reoccurring.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon again at W.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I travel for a living, have the highest status with all the major hotel chains, and still this hotel shocked me with its beauty, style, and service. The W has a gorgeous setting, high upon a hill with a gorgeous view of the ocean. Most rooms and villas have gorgeous views of the ocean or a secluded tropical jungle surrounding. We stayed in a secluded jungle villa, with a private pool and and outdoor shower! The service is also impeccable and the breakfast is delicious. If you want a relaxing getaway vacation, come here. We spent our honeymoon here and are SO glad we did.

Room Tip: The jungle rooms are perfectly quiet getaways. Upgrade to a villa if you can, they are incredible.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Edgirtrap,

Many thanks for your thoughtful review of W Retreat Koh Samui- as someone who travels extensively we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

We appreciate your comments on breakfast and the overall service throughout the resort.

Congratulations on your recent wedding and we look forward to welcoming you back to W Retreat Koh Samui for many anniversaries in the future.

Brian Segrave

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!