“Wow wow wow - loved everything about the W” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Retreat Koh Samui

You added W Retreat Koh Samui to your Saves list
W Retreat Koh Samui
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4/1 Moo 1 Tambol Maenam | Surat Thani, Mae Nam, Ko Samui 84330, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STAY 4 PAY 3
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Mae Nam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wow wow wow - loved everything about the W”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed for 4 nights and really enjoyed our stay. From the fabulous reception upon arrival to the GM waving us goodbye! We got the concept of the W concept here in Koh Samui. We ate in all the restaurants including Namu(Japanese) where the sous chef recommended some great food seated at the chefs table! One must try the Japanese chocolate desserts! Staff, service, surroundings all wow! Relaxed and chilled out atmosphere. And our room. What can l say. Fantastic view to the whole resort, beach and outer islands. Sea - the insider- was great and professional in a lovely laid back way.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked this holiday for as a present for my husband's 30th birthday and it couldn't have been a better trip. From check in to check out, everyone really went out of their way to make you feel special. We booked the Tropical Oasis which was very close to the beach and Namu and it was beyond our expectations. The room and pool were kept immaculately clean the whole week we were there, Illy coffee machine was always topped up and plenty of water was always stocked.

The food was so delicious, we ate breakfast every morning at the Kitchen Table, staff always remembered our room number and drinks orders, plenty of choices and lots of coffee and fresh juice. We ate most of our meals at the resort, we loved Namu and dinner at the Kitchen Table was also delicious. We also enjoyed the beach BBQ and Mojito Madness.

A special thanks to Sea and Jean (and really all the f&b team) for being terrific and to the whenever/wherever team for helping us with the taxi directions to W Bangkok (they were extremely useful!). We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Tropical Oasis rooms are close to the beach w/o the beachfront premium (plus private back garden).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Msmandam,

Thank you for your positive review of W Koh Samui Retreat, glad to hear you had a great stay with us.

We are fortunate to have Jean and Sea on our team and are delighted they created a memorable visit to Koh Samui.

We look forward to having you with us soon again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort for our first wedding anniversary. First of all, the room was OUTSTANDING, the design and scenery breathtaking, the staff cordial and attentive (everyone from waitstaff to security guards), and the guest services staff and management made it a point to introduce themselves and chat with the guests. All this exceeded our high expectations. Alas, we had an unfortunate scooter accident on the island (not related to the hotel, just out on our own sightseeing). Getting injured in a foreign country is scary, and not knowing who to consult, we called the hotel. Two hotel managers met us at the hospital, helped translate and really helped us stay calm and feel supported throughout the entire ordeal. This was more than we ever expected from a resort and we remain truly grateful for the abundant concern and extra-special care from the staff. The resort itself is beautiful as all these reviews already attest, but the special people there make the experience unique and so worthwhile. Our biggest thanks to Nick, Gene, Tom, and Robert - you are forever in our hearts! And you are cool cats to boot. We hope to come back again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

What's different about this resort that i liked: The ability of their staff to make you feel at home the moment you arrive and this sets them a cut above the rest. The small little surprises that they gave everyday. The sweet stops with complimentary ice-creams and drinks.

Things to note: Spa was good but it was difficult to get a slot. We were given a room at the end that does not overlook the ocean. There may be some delays in the complimentary bus service due to poor traffic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mapleleaf2727

Thank you for your review, we appreciate you sharing your thoughts on W Koh Samui Retreat.

It is wonderful to hear that overall your stay with us was a positive experience, in particular the service received from our talent.

Occasionally when the resort is at higher occupancy the more popular spa time slots tend to be reserved quickly. Our spa team are working on several options to increase capacity to avoid this type of inconvenience in the future. I have also taken note of your comment on the complimentary transport to see if improvements can be made in this area.

All the best,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The room big, nice, romance and had everything you need! I stay at jungle pool villa. The pool long enough for you to swim compare to sala samui. Bed so nice, sofa and bean bag so comfort. Toilet got 2 different shower and 1 bath tub! 2 tv in the room. Walk for 30 second you can reach sweet bar with free flow of Haagen daze ice cream, soft drink, mineral water and ice! You can no need to leave the room for 24 hours. The Japanese restaurant Namu food was so nice and not expensive! They have happy hour at the sips bar beside the beach. 1 for 1 martini just 380 bath. The strawberry, mango and apple martini so nice! Back to the Woobar locate at the lobby the view was wonderful till you just don't want to leave! Unlimited cocktail just 990bath. Breakfast serve till 11am. So many choices. The staff help me to call hotel and travel agent for my next destination for free. Really enjoy to stay here!

Room Tip: Take the cheaper room jungle pool villa already good enough.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear christgoh,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui. So wonderful to hear you had a great stay with us and particularly enjoyed Namu restaurant and our cocktail selections.

Happy travels and we look forward to welcoming you back to W soon again.

Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have to agree that is a very beautiful property and has stunning views, but it falls short on what I would expect from a luxury hotel.

I stayed here with my family for 1 week. The suite we had, was very convenient for the beach, and had a great layout. My kid loved the outdoor shower and bed was fantastic. We also liked the outdoor day bed, which was nice to relax and listen to the waves or take a few steps into your own private pool to cool down. Great idea to be able to book out DvDs for in-room viewing and my kid loved this for the occasional night we would let him watch a cartoon.

We also tried the spa and would highly recommend it, my wife ended up taking 3 separate spa treatments and she rated every one very highly.

Breakfast buffet was also fantastic, and loved the fact it was open up to 11.00am.

Gym was also very good, although I only managed to get there for 1 workout, great views and equipment was all in good shape.

I liked the W call service for being able to call up whenever and whatever.

Due to the location of our suite and if my 5yr old was too tired, we liked the cart service to drive back to the suite from the reception.

Negatives:

1. We had power problems with our suite for the whole week, where the lights would go off every 10 mins. They tried to fix it, but eventually the last night it got so bad the lights were going out every minute (Yes every 1 min or even less). It was crazy, you put the light on and the time you go to the settee to sit down the last were back off again. They ended up installing portable lighting in our room and granted they did offer to move us to another room on the last night we stayed, but why did it take to the last night to offer is to move, and they asked us at 9.00pm at night when my kid was about to go to sleep. I don't recall every feeling so frustrated on holiday having to get up and down all night (every day) to put the lights back on every few mins.

2. The wireless router in the room broke, now this could have been due to the power fluctuations but not something you normally need to deal with on holiday.

3. Pool cleanness was not great, there was a storm and a squall did come in on separate days, but the suite and main pool had debris and lots of bugs. It took them 2 days to send someone to clean up the pool next to our suite.

4. Pool design and in particular the drainage covers at the bottom of the pools are not recessed, so on the first day I was walking in the pool and I stubbed my toes against the drain covers at the bottom of the pool. These in any other pool I have seen are normally recessed and flat and not raised. This is just a stupid mistake in the design in my opinion!

5. The shuttle bus is not frequent enough as this place is really away from anything, they should really do a shuttle bus every 1hr.

6. With the remote location there is not even a convenience store which you can really walk to within a few mins of the hotel, so you are locked to the resort for food and drink. I don't mind paying a premium price for a hotel and this is reflected in staying at the W Hotel, but paying $12 USD for a bottle of corona beer is very steep, and even $10 USD for a local beer is in my opinion very expensive and means the W hotel are able to extract 1000%+ profit from selling. I don't mind companies making profit, but 1000%+ profit is scandalous in my opinion when the suite are already $900+ USD per night. I can't image in any other industry where companies can get away with charging such high prices and especially when there is really no local other alternative to buy from.

7. The sweet spots are advertised as being filled with Haagen-Dazs ice cream. We stayed for 1 week and only seen Haagen-Daaz being stocked in the fridge(s) twice and on both occasions it was only chocolate flavor that were available and very limited (4 pots in different fridges), reality is the sweet spots are actually filled with cheap Walls ice cream and not Haagen-Daaz. Believe me this is not a case of wrong time to go to the sweet spots, this was a disappointment for us as again this is supposed to be a premium hotel and this was just a cheapness and also only having one variety when available is also low balling. Having a sweet spot is a nice tough for the hotel. But don't go too cheap on this…

8. Breakfast as mentioned earlier in this review was brilliant and really highly recommended, but two things spoiled it for me at breakfast was the staff were not attentive and I felt like I was causing problems for them when I asked for a 2nd coffee. One morning I had to wait 20 mins and ask 5x for the coffee. It was not even that the restaurant was busy and people were running around or clearing tables as they were not. One thing you will notice at the W hotel it does not get that busy which is great. But the staff members in the morning should be more helpful.

9. The other thing about the breakfast was that I booked directly with the hotel and I booked for 2 adults and 1 child, which also showed up on the booking and included breakfast and against this was shown in the booking form, breakfast included. But then I realized after the 4th day that the cheque my wife was signing was actually for a child breakfast which seems was not included. When I asked the staff about this, they then said that the child breakfast is extra, which is not indicated on the booking or was explained to me when I booked or when I checked into the hotel that when it said breakfast included this actually excluded children. The charged around $25USD per day extra for a child breakfast… for a 5yr old!

10. Great hotel for 2 or 3 days maximum, watch out the hidden extras and watch out for the grates at the bottom of the pool and you will have a great time.

Room Tip: Ocean havens are awesome. But avoid room 174 because of the power problems.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Zabaroptik,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughtful review of W Retreat Koh Samui. In striving to provide exceptional service and facilities it is very helpful to receive this level of detail on guest experience.

We appreciate your kind comments on retreat amenities, spa, breakfast offering and fitness facilities; we are pleased to know these created a positive impact on your stay.

Please accept my apologies for some of the inconveniences you encountered. To address them in no particular order:

1. We occasionally experience power outages due to our island location. While the resort maintains 100% generator backup during these events there is a brief outage as the resort power initiates. As you surmise, this can effect WiFi connectivity during cutover.

2. We do maintain Sweet Spots at four different locations throughout the resort, offering complimentary ice cream and cold drinks for our guests. Our standard is to stock these with Haagen Dazs and Walls ice creams several times per day. My apologies that the selection became depleted during your visit, we will focus more on this during busy periods.

3. I have shared your other remarks with our team here at W Retreat Koh Samui specific to pool cleanliness, breakfast beverage service and pricing. Being dedicated both to continuous improvement and high levels of guest satisfaction rest assured we take all of our guests' perceptions into account as we plan our talent training moving forward.

Thanks once again for the detailed review and hope to see you soon again at W.

Rehovot, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We just spent a week with our three teen age kids in Koh Samui. The architecture of the hotel grows on you, no matter where you are, the view is outstanding. It is very easy to get around. You may want to do a little exercise and walk around or get a golf cart at any time. The staff is always happy and very quick to pick you up.
The japanese restaurant is very special. We are not much into fusion, but were surprised with the delicious flavors and very tempting dishes. Ended up eating a lot more than we thought, ordering a few dishes at the time.
Breakfast is extremely varied, including wonderful tropical fruits.
The hotel restaurant is also good and caters to your appetite mood (sometimes one just wants Italian pizza).
Very fortunately the hotel is isolated from the madness of Chaweng. However, if you want to visit the town, do a little shopping or try a new restaurant, there is a complimentary shuttle that allows you to be in town for a few hours, so that you can go back to your heavenly spot in the W.
One feels as if one was the only guest in the hotel, no matter if it is full or not.
We loved it and left very well rested and wanting to come back.

Room Tip: We took two rooms on the hill and it suited us well, it was away from any noise, with a nice view an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!