“Worst Chinese meal of our lives” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Xemxija
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: With over 20 years experience, Shaukiwan has built a solid reputation and loyal clientele. Being one of Malta's best Chinese restaurants, we are proud with our simple attitude to serve our customers with good food, and the best possible service and value for money.Shaukiwan serves plenty of mouth watering dishes and also offers buffet for only € 12.85 per person. We do have a warm welcoming oriental atmosphere. One of our highlights is that we have an open kitchen, and free parking is available just under the restaurant.
Island of Malta, Malta
“Worst Chinese meal of our lives”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We chose this restaurant BECAUSE of the trip advisor reviews. We rang and booked for a Monday night and expected the restaurant off season to be rather empty as it was. No problem. Waiter was attentive, surroundings were fine and very clean. Menu was dull and limited. We chose Crab and Sweetcorn soup which was so gloopy and glutunous it was disgusting, the chicken satay were probably defrosted and microwaved up, they were certainly not fresh. The peanut sauce was not tasty at all and not freshly made either. Worse was to come. We ordered spare ribs in black bean sauce, sweet and sour pork which were passable, but not exciting. The revolting bean sprouts were tinned mushy gloop and the special chicken noodles tasted like old sweaty socks in a damp atmosphere. We tried to put soy sauce on the noodles and we asked for hot chilli sauce to try and rev this dish up a bit to no avail. We simply could not eat it. So all in all apart from the beers, nothing was really edible. To be fair the waiter (delightful man from Calcutta) did immediately say they would not charge us for the sweaty bean sprouts (admitting they were tinned) and the noodles. He sighted it was difficult to get fresh sprouts in Malta, but we have seen them in some supermarkets. Best not so serve them at all if they are a sorry sweaty, tasteless mess. A great shame when this restaurant could have so much potential, why do they not introduce something radical in Malta and offer a dim sum (fresh! dim sum) menu like to many brilliant places in London. They would be rushed off their feet with good dim sum.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
shaukiwan, Manager at Shaukiwan Chinese Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Customer,

I am really disappointed to hear this review. I have honestly never come across such negative criticism in my time here at Shaukiwan.

I am the manager and although I was not present on the night the waiter to whom you referred to in your paragraph did indeed catch me up to speed on your dissatisfaction. As you also mentioned he did make sure not to charge you for the dishes you found tasteless and also offered if you would like anything else instead. I am very pleased that he offered you this and I find your article a little dramatic but I would like to go on by explaining myself.

With regards to your comments; The 'Limited' Menu - our menu offers 89 dishes in total so I find this very difficult to call it 'limited' in fact our customers frequently comment saying there is too much too choose from resulting in them taking longer to decide!

You are correct in saying our beansprouts are tinned. They are not the most requested dish as customers usually stick to the stir fried veg as a side and so buying these fresh would not be feasible for us and until now we have not had any complaints about the taste of the beansprouts themselves or the way we cook them.

The sweet and sour pork is actually the most popular dish on the menu and I can safely say that 2 out of every 3 tables order it. Many of our customers are frequent customers and I am sure it wouldn't be so popular if it was simply 'passable'.

Our sauces are made by our Chinese chefs in an authentic way so perhaps you might be used to eating the 'commercial' type of Chinese food which many restaurants provide.

I think perhaps you visited our restaurant with the expectation of it being somewhat like the U.K. however we do serve food differently here. We careful that our products are fresh and if you where to visit us on a weekend you will see that it is practically impossible for us to have foods which are a 'sweaty, tasteless mess' as too keep up with our weekend demands we must keep replacing and producing more, fresh, products.

You can ask any locals and they will tell you that Shaukiwan is one of the most trusted and popular Chinese restaurants on the island. Naturally, we haven't been around for over 20 years for no reason.

Kind Regards,

The Management

Ħaz-Zebbug, Malta
“'Excellent in every point'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Very good food, a nice selection of dishes, very helpful staff, very nice for a special occassion. The dishes are all very yummy :-). I really enjoy going to Shaukiwan and recomend it to every chinese food lover !

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mellieha, Malta
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was our first time at the Shaukiwan. The staff was very helpful. Menu has a great variety of food. For the very first time, I decided to try the chinese soups. Very good. I recommend mostly Wonton and Noodle soup, filled with fresh vegetables. Really loved it.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rabat, Malta
“Never lets you down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

When I visited this restaurant to celebrate my birthday in September little did I expect to revisit for another Sunday lunch in early November to celebrate another special family occasion. Having already savoured the buffet lunch, I opted for it once again and found the dishes to be as varied and freshly cooked as they had been on the earlier visit. I gave the soup a miss and opted for the mixed platter - not the best choice if you want to leave some space for the main course! Still I moved on to the beef, chicken and pork on offer, complementing them with vegetables, rice and noodles. There is so much on offer and it is all so tasty you have to forget about sensibly sized portions. My only advice would be to vary the starter by introducing some vegetables or seaweed in the mixed platter and move away from the pastry encased and fried goodies.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Xemxija, Malta
“good value for money, outstanding service and good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

good value for money, outstanding service and good food! always call for a reservation so as not to be dissapointed

• Visited November 2012