“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shipwreck Promenade, Xemxija, Island of Malta, Malta   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Xemxija
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have had a fabulous week at this hotel. Staff are friendly it is a relaxed place and a good nights sleep is guarenteed. People have complained of the flies but this seems to be a problem in all outside eating areas in malta not just here. Rooms are basic but clean! And cleaned everyday. You can hire a kettle from reception. Air con was fantastic in our room. There is a good selection of resturants in walking distance to the hotel and the food here at night we thought was superb. Buses are easy to catch from here too. Please dont write this hotel off its not 5 star but we loved it and plan to return.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were at this hotel in July 2013 and we liked it very much, I don't understand the complaints. I did my research about the location (far from central Malta) and me and my boyfriend were really happy with the service. The views from our room was stunning over the sea and Bugibba. I booked this hotel already in February. The bar and restaurant could need a major update though.

The first days we had a problem with the lights, but the staff fixed it every time and then they had an electrician come and fix it for good. The breakfast was a bit to "small" for us, only bread and cereals and it was true about the flies, there were quite a few at breakfast but no bigger problem. If you want a 5 star hotel then you should book a room elsewhere, but I really liked this place. Our room was clean, tovels clean, we felt really secure and didn't have to be afraid that the cleaners would steal our things (as they did in India). This is a good hotel if you plan to explore Malta during daytime, it's probably not the place to hang around all day long, doing nothing. The bustrip to central Malta was a bit long, but we got used to it and it's a great way of sightseeing ;)

Room Tip: Book early to get a seaside view balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

12th-19th July 2013
Staff very friendly and helpful, as a hotel all round it was a joke!!!
Restaurant was seperately run and very outdated to say the least, filthy covered with flies, service was ok but food was very limited in choice.
Swimming pool could be used by people outside the hotel, so there were complete strange wandering around!!
I really would not recommend this hotel as it was completely isolated and only had a shop, 2 restaurants and a chinese!!!!
Terri,Paddy & Maureen - DUBLIN

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I can’t be too scathing of this small hotel as I booked a Low Cost Holiday and that is exactly what I received.

I was travelling with a friend and we arrived at the Ambassador mid-afternoon where a pleasant young woman at reception greeted us. After completing the hotel check in formalities we were quickly allocated our room on the ground floor. There was one hiccup regarding the initial absence of a safe in the room. Having had my passport stolen whilst outside the UK last year, and experiencing the stress and hassle caused by such an event, I am now somewhat paranoid about the security of my possessions, particularly when abroad. Having reported the problem at reception, the hotel manager said he would arrange for a safe to be installed in the room that afternoon, and he was true to his word as after enjoying a couple of beers in the bar, the matter had been resolved. Otherwise the room was basic, though nice and clean with efficient AC. The bathroom was a bit claustrophobic but the shower was fine. We had a couple of towels missing, but this problem was soon rectified.

I was a bit put off the first morning at breakfast when I saw flies crawling on the cereals. All the other food available was covered so I couldn’t really understand why the cereal was not in sealed containers. Needless to say no Cornflakes for me, but the rest of the breakfast was OK although the menu was a bit confusing. We had a little difficulty working out which part of the menu was available under our B & B arrangements, but later found we were entitled to eggs, sausages, baked beans and tomatoes as well as toast cheese, ham, tea and coffee etc. Bacon was always extra, but often not available at all.

The bar and pool area were adequate although a bit shabby, but the staff were very pleasant. There was a big bell at the side of the bar, which we could ring if the bar was temporarily unmanned. This caused a few chuckles during our stay. One observation we made when enjoying a beer in the bar though, was that the cutlery and glasses in the restaurant were set up during the afternoon in preparation for dinner, the wine glasses being left standing upright. This appeared a bit risky as the restaurant was only partially covered and seemingly at mercy of the many flies.

The Ambassador is in a quiet location with a stunning view of the bay. There are a few local bars and restaurants, but those seeking nightlife need to catch the bus to Bugibba, which is a buzzing hub of activity. We found the 221-bus service a bit irregular involving a long wait at times and all the buses can get very crowded. Once in Bugibba though, there is a night bus service N11 that runs along the main road close to the hotel to enable an easy return back after a long nights clubbing.

To sum up, it should be borne in mind that the Ambassador is a basic hotel. People on a budget just seeking somewhere to rest their head at night will probably find it suits their needs. However, those seeking accommodation with more comfort and better décor should probably look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

just returned from this hotel,just don't go.middle of nowhere,accomadation dated no air- con they have got it but if you ask it does not work.everything is filthy rooms not cleaned. towels never changed put them on the floor but they just put them back on the rail.the worst part is the bar pool and restaurant.bar is full of flies.as is the pool area.you are asked to move in the pool because the locals have a private party.if there are no locals in the bar shuts at 10 pm.worst holiday of my life.dont even try breakfast we did and regretted at our cost.please rebook elsewhere this hotel needs to close down.

Room Tip: pool view.dont upgrade as all rooms have sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at this hotel. I opted for bed and breakfast. The buffet breakfast is extremely limited consisting of cereal, toast, cucumber and tomatoes. You are offered a cooked breakfast included in the b&b of 3 items of which I wanted to swap meat option for egg and they refused to do it. The restauranter has an inability to understand this and refused to swap a meat option for anything else. If u are vegetarian do not come here. I have literally eaten toast and that is it every morning. The guests look depressed in
the mornings. I would rate this hotel a 1 star due to the lack of food choice. No fruit is on offee even though it is locally sourced and I have never bewn to a hotel that has a buffet breakfast with such limited basic food! I will mot be coming here again or recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed July 2013
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked the sea view room with breakfast via web page Hotelopia from 27-30 June. Since they are in the sea side at St. Paul bay and it is not very near to the bus station, me & friend taking our luggage to find the hotel along the ramp then found it after 10 mins. We were arrived hotel around 16:00, and the reception found my booking but the manager / boss in office said that the room is not suitable to use since the water pope get some problem then they have no more rooms in hotel anymore, and he requested us to move to another hotel that he prepared for us at Qawra.

Actually, we looking for a simple, clear & sea view hotel for our holiday only then we asked the manager that is the prepared hotel is next to the sea side? And the room type isn’t sea view? Some questions about the hotel, mainly the location and the room type. But the manager suddenly said that his English is not well then can’t understand what we talking about. After that, we tried to speak slowly, and he still evaded my questions & never told me that exactly location & said that he didn’t know the hotel isn’t next to the sea side. The only thing he known was the prepared hotel is the 4 stars hotel then one more star than they are so He emphasis again & again we should satisfy on his arrangement.

Since we can’t get any useful information from the Manager then we tried to ask that if we are not satisfy on the prepared hotel then can we come back or will he pay back to us. Same as before, don’t’ know English again. Therefore, we get on the taxi that the Manager prepared & let the driver take us to somewhere.

After around 5 mins drive then we arrived Qawra, Bella Vista hotel. Reception told me that she offer us to the best view of the hotel but it is the last room in the corridor & all of the light is broken. And the room is dim & muggy, the air-con is non-functional & the balcony is extremely side view of the swimming pool. Moreover, it needs to take 10-15mins walk to the sea side, it is totally not our purpose of hotel selection or the purpose of the travel, therefore, we decided to check out & request the reception to call the Ambassador Hotel for notice them we checked out already but the reception refused & said that no matter we are satisfy or not. The Ambassador Hotel needs to pay (Original plan is we should stay 3 nights at Ambassador Hotel) since we don’t’ want to argue with the reception anymore to waste our time, then we left the Bella Vista and seeking another hotel / apartment at Qawra.

We felt the Ambassador Hotel is totally re-responsible, firstly, they should notice us before we were arrived their hotel if they known the room cannot be used. Secondly, they must know the location of the prepared hotel but they evaded it & never provide other options to us if we cannot accept the arrangement then any refund schedule. Thirdly, we sent an email to them on the same day (27 June2013) for noticing then that we checked out already & requested them return the booking fee but none of the respond until now.

We are totally disappoint on Ambassador Hotel, St. Paul Bay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!