“Nice hotel, lovely staff, rubbish entertainment!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Esra and Family Suites

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Esra and Family Suites to your Saves list
Hotel Esra and Family Suites
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Barbaros Street. Camlik Mah. | Altinkum, Didim 09270, Turkey   |
Ranked #2 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Didim
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, lovely staff, rubbish entertainment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Location is fair, a 10 minute walk from the beach, but it seems a little out of place, everywhere around is quite shabby and unfinished. The hotel itself is nice and clean, although somewhat erratically maintained (the walls seem to be painted in patches as and when they feel like), and inside, although clean, seems a little dated.
The hotel room is basic but comfortable, although the walls may as well be made from cardboard for all the sound proofing they provide. The main door to the room has a good two inch gap from the bottom to the floor and you hear everyone going past our room at all hours, coupled with the lack of draught excluder on the balcony door makes for a constant gale blowing through the room making it cold at night.
The staff are very friendly, although, I'm sure most could do without their boasting about how many women they have been with on the resort, or how many girlfriends they have. If you're a young single blonde, you will have have excellent service and the staff will bring you drinks when you finish, if you're not, then you will just have to go an get your own drinks and food!
Entertainment is non existent. I went with the intention of avoiding children by going in October, but the place was overran with lots of screaming out of control children with nothing to do, there is no activity club, no games for them to play and the water slides are only ran for an hour each day.
The evening continued the lack of entertainment, again lots of out of control children running around a crowded lobby area making this one of the worst experiences ever.
In general the food was good, but thankfully the bar over the road provided an excellent cooked breakfast.
The hotel was half full, however, the pool area was crowded, and there was insufficient seating space in the rest of the hotel during the lack lustre evenings; I'd hate to think what it would be like if it was full.
It boasts a fitness centre, for the eco minded of you out there, this is ideal, but don't expect anything special, it's old rusty and couldn't cope with more than a couple of people at a time; went with the intention of using the gym, but although it was constantly empty, I, like others chose not to use it.
My recommendation is to give this one a miss!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here in August with my Husband and 2 kids and have to say this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!

Filthy and overcrowded we came back with salmonella which was contracted from the hotel - we know of 5 other families who also contracted this!

The all inclusive is total rubbish - the drinks were watered down food was totally bland!

Staff: bar staff and entertainers were lovely. However, management were horrible and the cleaners were not too happy either!

Would never return to this hotel even if I
was paid to - or the resort for that matter.

I really don't understand why people return here - there is a whole world out there which is so much better!!!

Stayed August 2013
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

My partner (28) and I (23) arrived at the esra with our son, my brother, sister in law and two neices aged 6 and 3! Mum and stepdad! mixture of
Good points
The rooms were clean, and spacious - family room, the staff seemed nice, the food wasn't too bad!! But I wouldn't go all inclusive again in turkey. It's cheap enough to eat out. The shops were good in dolphin square accept you get the usual bartering and sometimes the Turks get very rude and aggressive,
You have got to do taffys boat - best day of the holiday!

Bad points
Didnt cater for children really, entertainment was non existent through daytime and evening (which was the biggest let down!) we were bored every night, and got bored sunbathing 'every day' as there isn't really much to do in altinkum, alcohol was very watered down. There was no free ice creams in the daytime for the kids only at night time, the breakfast was the worst meal of the day!
I didn't like seeing all the stray dogs everywhere, most the time they seemed fine for you to pass by them, but in dolphin square we saw two dogs fighting which was really bad !!and upsetting!
I do think it depends on what room you have also, for the noise etc.. Luckily for us we had a nice, quiet room! Good luck to those opposite the sky bar and zanzi bar which is where my mum and stepdad were.. They didn't get much sleep.:-(

For £500 pp for two weeks all inclusive I can't really complain much!:-) if you want a cheap break it's ideal to just go and lay in the sun but only for a week!! With kids or without kids I don't think I would return..

• Stayed September 2013
surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have to agree with the last review. We have just come back from 10 nights at the Esra. I know it says Family Suites but like the last comment we did not expect the place to be overrun with children when schools have only gone back from 6 weeks holiday. I worked in a school for over 20 years and yes I know how expensive it is during holiday time. The entertainment for adults was non existent but geared for the children and started at 9 p.m. or later. The food was o.k. but most of the time it was cold. The noise was non-stop from first thing in the morning until midnight and was mainly rap music which was not what most people wanted to hear. We also noticed that towels were put on the sunbeds first thing in the morning without anyone in sight. Several families booked out 6 or more beds and then disappeared!!!!

We did enjoy our holiday but that was because we spent very little time at the hotel. Would not recommend it to couples without children and certainly would not return again.

Room Tip: Do not ask for a pool view!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We have just returned from the esre and couldn't wait to get home. The hotel entertainment was non existant, the food was terrible and repetitive. The resort was dirty and I would not have let my dog on the beach, it was that dirty. We went to the Saturday market and had £100 stolen out of my purse by one of the stall holders. The on site supermarket would sell you an inflateable for the pool, then when you went home would collect it back and re sell it. One lady bought an inflateable life jacket for her child and it had a cigarette burn in it, he would not replace or refund. We never had one nights proper sleep in the two weeks we were there as the noise till 3in the morning was terrible.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had 14 nights at the end of September, It was a cheap holiday so after reading the reviews we didn't expect too much. Glad to say that the food was great, both in choice and presentation and you could eat and drink virtually all day (some did). All the staff were friendly and hard working. Our room was quite small and basic but adequate. The down side is the noise around the pool, the music was too loud and the wrong sort. The staff would turn it down but then it would creep up again? We often went to the beach for a bit of peace. The entertainment was aimed at the kids and on too late at night. Probably 150 adults sat at the bar / pool area at night for a hour watching 5 kids doing the birdy song, evening adult entertainment was none existent.
The real down side (which is no fault of the hotel) are the guests. We were surprised how many children there were during school term. Apparently it is too expensive to take children on holiday during the summer holidays but if the parents spent less on pies, beer, fags & tattoos perhaps they could afford it? At 7.30am there was the usual rush to reserve a sunbed (the pool area is quite small) and during peak season it must be a nightmare. In September the U shaped pool area is cast in shadow, one side am, the other side pm. The resort is about a 10 minute walk and in true Turkish style full of shops selling fake goods. There are plenty of restaurants and bars but you can't walk along the front without each one pestering you to sit down. Despite all of the above we had a good holiday but we would not return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

stayed for two weeks from 12th Sept and had a great time!room was a family suite so with two of us that was a result,clean when we got in there and stayed that way,cleaners always busy doing there stuff!food;personally as I tend to eat healthily at home I had no problems with the food..decent options everyday,prepared well,head chef always out checking everything was all ok,looked like man who was genuinely bothered about the people he was feeding,obviously after 2 weeks you notice a bit of repetition but you have that at home anyway so no moan there!puddings always looked colourful and well presented and tasted as good.Staff;I can honestly say that all the staff were great,friendly,helpful and genuine in the restaurant and the bars.Entertainment;Bibo Angel and fofo are great fun and always smiling happy and polite and full of energy which is hard to be like all day everyday but they manage it somehow,I think the entertainment at nights sort of tails off a bit near the end the season so I can't comment too much on what it might be like normally plus I'm an early to bed man so it's not my main concern anyway,daytime we had water polo if you wanted to play,other things like darts and stuff!Hotel in General;2 pools,clean as pools usually are,big enough for me as I don't go on Holiday to do a million lengths a day but to get in and cool down every now and again!Turkish bath and massage was great,had the shave and that too was good!basically For the money we paid we had an absolute bargain and I can honestly say if the price is right next year I will go back no question!I feel like a previous review posted recently giving this hotel a really bad score was always gonna happen as I think the reviewer spoke to us on our/there first day and was moaning about everything instantly so it was never gonna be good enough for them...you could just tell!!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Hotel Esra and Family Suites? Share your experiences!