“Don't believe everything you read” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Wings Beach Resort

You added Palm Wings Beach Resort to your Saves list
Palm Wings Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Altinkum Mah. Mehtap Cad. 94. Sok. No:21, Didim, Turkey   |
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Didim
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Don't believe everything you read”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have recently returned from my holiday to Altinkum's Palm Wings Beach Resort (12th Sept - 19th Sept) and must say I was apprehensive at first after reading some rather negative reviews the morning I left. But I must say I didn't agree with most comments that people had written ...
Yes I agree that they seemed to have a wasp problem, however I can't say they bothered me. The wasps were around the pool bar area but I never had a problem with them around by the baby pool or main pool.
I completely disagree with the comments about rude staff, I thought they couldn't have been more polite. They would often have mini conversations with us and always interacted very well with my niece. There were several occasions where they also were more than willing to find tables for us in busy times. In fact one member from my party pointed out that he found the Thomson staff more rude if he was being honest.
Many people complained about the food, and again I suppose this depends on what your expectations have. There was a huge variety of food available though this tended to be repeated on several nights. However this didn't bother anyone in my party. We were quite happy to eat what was on offer. The food was never piping hot and chips were cold when we got them back to the table, but again this wasn't a problem for us. We just avoided the chips. I would advise people to arrive at the restaurants by 7:15 if you want a decent seat (outside was nice) as it soon filled up! I never really ate at the snack bar as nothing interested me, but others from my party did and they seemed to enjoy it.
I stayed in the hotel, and it was always cleaned to a fairly high spec. One negative comment to be made was that the cleaners never came until late in the afternoon, so I couldn't get my new bottle of water until the evening. This obviously couldn't be helped as they had a lot of rooms I get through. Also on one occasion I left a mostly drank bottle I water on the side, and because it wasn't empty I didn't even receive a new one for the next day, which I was disappointed in. My sister stayed in a bungalow, which was huge. They had 3 beds and a travel cot for 3 of them and they found everything great. It was kept clean and they even received rose petals on a couple of days which I thought was a very sweet touch! :)

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have just returned from a week here with my husband (16/09/13) and felt compelled to write a review having seen some of them bad ones before we left.

Pool/beach
The pool was huge and we never had a problem finding a sunbed. The slides don't interfere with space in the pool and there are plenty of people with lilos etc, but still loads of room for swimming. There is also the relax pool which is a great get away in the late afternoon and again, never had a problem getting a bed.

The beach was the same, plenty of space and the water is crystal clear! Very much a sun trap down there :-)

Food/drink
The food was a great mix of salads, breads, fruit and hot food. Admittedly the hot food wasn't always as hot as it could be, but by no means inedible. The selection changed every day and I was impressed by how much food there was, there was never a shortage considering how many people were eating there, and food was available pretty much 24/7. Ice creams around the pool were lovely too!

Drinks were constantly flowing and the range was great. Cocktails, beer, wine (red, white and rose) and your usual sprits all available as well as Coke, Sprite, Fanta etc. Also machines around the pool and restaurant where you can help yourself to cold water, juice, tea and coffee.

A special mention must go to Abdul in the restaurant who was always on hand to give excellent service and a massive smile. He never stopped clearing tables, setting up for the next family and checking you were ok, he really was brilliant at his job!

Room
The rooms (bungalow) were very clean and had everything you needed. Admittedly they were a little basic for a 5*, but for the time spent in there, this was no major issue to us. We had a problem with our hair dryer, but one call to reception and it was replaced within the hour.

Tips
**You won't need any towels as all are supplied for the pool and beach, as well as on your last day if you need a shower before leaving (there are shower facilities in the indoor pool area).
**Turkish bath was brilliant, would really recommend this.
**Evening entertainment isn't the best, but if you grab a couple of drinks and head to the amphitheatre around 9.30pm you can see the nightly show.
**Feel reassured that you won't need to spend any money in the hotel unless you want to buy extras such as snacks/lilos/games room.
**The tipping culture is really different to anywhere I have been before and not expected in any way. There are a few tip boxes at the bars and in the restaurant, but you don't receive poor service for not tipping!
**The location of the hotel is in a very quiet area, so there isn't much to do directly outside of the hotel. However there are a few small shops and a couple of bars if you feel the need to get out and about.
**There is a small fridge in the room which gets stocked daily with a large bottle of water.

All in all, for a week in the sun with 24 hour all inclusive at a very reasonable price, this definitely exceeded our expectations.

Hope you enjoy your holiday!

Stroud, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was our first experience of Turkey and we had a fantastic stay at Palm Wings. We travelled as 4 adults and 3 children aged between 7 and 9. The resort itself was pristine and with regards to the food we felt it was very good, certainly enough choice to prevent us from being bored over the course of the week. Agreed, it wasn't always hot enough though! We could have used the a la carte restaurant one night for free but the menu was very limited so we did not go.

Staff are mostly great but after standing behind some obnoxious families at the bar and hearing how some people spoke to them, it is no wonder they seem fed up at times. Being polite and trying to say thank you in Turkish seemed to be appreciated. Yes the photo team are a little pushy but you can have some banter with them. The shops on site are expensive. If you can hold off basic items and get from the local "tesco" which is less than 5 mins away you will save a lot. Equally the shops in Altinkum have plenty of trinkets and gifts which are easily a third cheaper.

Our children loved the pool and slides. The water is a consistent depth with the exception of the toddlers pool so you do need to be watchful. If the depth of water is an issue then head for the beach, it's shallow for quite a way and crystal clear with tons of fish.

Entertainment isn't particularly good but equally we were never bored.

The ONLY gripe we really had was with regards to the block of rooms where we were staying. They were basic and clean but you did hear everything! In addition, the water in the lobby often ran out, the juice machine never worked and the hot drinks machine often ran out of things. You were left feeling like a lot of time and effort had been put into the resort but these blocks had been neglected. The staff also liked to rearrange the conference furniture at 5 am - not great! By contrast the bungalows looked a amazing so would recommend an upgrade if your party numbers allow.

We didn't partake on many trips but can certainly recommend Aqua Fantasy Waterpark. We would happily return to Palm Wings but would try for a bungalow.

Room Tip: Try for a bungalow! Much nicer. If you are having to stay in the block, request in advance via emai...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

So this was my first time to palm wings and after mixed reviews was abit put off however it exceeded my expectations and i was pleasently suprised. The staff were all so friendly especially in the dinner hall who all made an effort to greet you. The spa is amazing and i would recommend a turkish bath and massage. There was one little let down and this was the entertainment. It needs jazzing up alot. The animation team also stuck to a particular family and was apparant they had no time for other guests. The shows well people would leave mid way and whats with the scary intro it has no conjunction to anything "/ shrek was appauling too. If the hotel sort out the entertainmentthen i would 100% always go here when visting Turkey

Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

well booked to go palm wings awhile back after reading reviews on tripadviser but closer to the time there seem to be the odd bad reviews so was getting worried ,.
fear not this place is spotless to the fullest people on site are so helpful and cant do enough to help you and have a smile and abit of laughfter with you.
7 of us went my 3 children 9,7,4 and my in laws who are in the 60,s and it suited to everybodys taste , yes the bungerlows are the best places to sleep but to be honest you don't spend that much time there has you either on the beach or my the pool ,
my little girl loved the thompsons kids club she loved going to see groovy gary
my only bug bear would be the food and entertainment ,
the food is barly warm but yes there is plenty of choice even for the fussy eaters , the animation team I found to be a joke don't know why they botherd turning up has I felt they didn't seem that bothered ,

Room Tip: book a bungerlow
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is our third visit to this resort and after e-mailing the hotel to ask for a bungalow near to the pool and restaraunt which I have to thank Ismail for making this possible we couldn't have been any closer, that said we found unfortunatly that the quality of the food not the choice of which there is still more than enough,we only had entricote twice in the 2weeks we were there the roast beef was not as we know it and was served in a tomato sauce so although we always found something to eat since going 24hrs all inc. which was totally underused the quality of the food has definatly gone down.The bungalows are looking a little tired in part but still nicer then high rise hotels the complex is kept spotless by numerous cleaners and gardeners.No problem at all getting sun beds tghey were available all day with loads under used on the pier that goes out to sea.Our only problem at the pool and bar apart from some of the bar staff not understanding small vodka and fanta (you could fly home on the vodka lol) were WASPS they were really persistant.As far as we are aware nobody on the flight we were on were able to book a late room despite vacating our room at 12 and not being picked up to return to the airport till 9.30pm so 9.1/2hours hanging round is unexceptable this complaint has also been taken up at resort with the thompson reps by various people in the same situation we were luckier than some as to having no children with us.So unfortunatly because of the above we will not be returning to Palm Wings again.

Room Tip: e-mail direct if you have mobility problems because this is a huge resort
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Something for everyone. The problem that all hotels face now is having to cater for people from literally, all over the world. This place doesn't disappoint. When we were there, the place had holidaymakers from the UK, Turkey, Holland, Russia, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Germany. And they were the ones that we knew of so the hotel had a big job making sure everyone was satisfied, especially at mealtimes. People who review this hotel and complain that the food wasn't up to much should stay at home if all they want is English food. The choice was varied with something to eat at every meal and they did try to vary it every day by having themed nights, like Turkish night, English night, Italian, International etc etc. The only random thing was the fact that there was chips with every meal (even breakfast) except on English night when there was no chips!! There were 3 other restaurants that you can book into, a fish restaurant, Chinese restaurant and an Italian restaurant which you can book into 1 night a week, however, we felt there was more choice for our admittedly fussy eating kids in the main restaurant so we never bothered.

Entertainment was limited of an evening with Kids club taking up the first 45 minutes then the Animation team took over with fun and games for the next hour. The Animation team do a great job and were well lead by Jazzy B who has now "moved on" unfortunately, but the rest of the team especially Anna Banana, Taylor, Laura and Ahmet all do a great job day and night. Even Cemil has his good moments and seemed to work well with Jazzy B.

The rooms were spacious and clean. The pool was nice but very slippy around the sides but the kids loved the water slides. The Photo team can be a bit OTT in taking pictures but the results are fantastic and well worth it. The Spa was lovely and I would highly recommend a Turkish bath from there as you get a nice little Philipino girl doing it rather than a big rough and tough Turk who batters you all over the baths lol.

Would I go back? Yes.
Would I change anything? Not really.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Palm Wings Beach Resort? Share your experiences!