“Awful before I even get to the hotel ....” 1 of 5 stars

Relais & Chateaux Michel Trama
52 Rue Royale, 47270 Puymirol, France (Formerly Les Loges de l'Aubergade )   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Puymirol
London, United Kingdom
“Awful before I even get to the hotel ....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

I have phoned to reserve a room for May 20, and enjoy a delightful meal.

The hotel informed me that my quiet well behaved dog sleep who would be secured at my feet, was not welcome in the restaurant. I accept other diners may not like dogs, but living in France, I rarely find this is a problem. After all, he is better behaved than most human beings & he is nowhere near the kitchen.

However, this hotel's policy on deposits and refund period borders on 'theft'. Imagine my surprise when I was told that 50 % would be taken from my credit card at the time of booking i.e. 9 weeks before I was due to stay. When I asked the notice period in case I had to cancel, I was told that outside of 3 weeks, the 50% could be allocated to a future stay.

I find this policy totally unacceptable irrespective of how good the cooking in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Think twice about booking a room here.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
MichelTrama, Propriétaire at Relais & Chateaux Michel Trama, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
Dear Sir,

Know that we attach a big importance at the comments left by our guests, they are for us the first source of motivation.

We were really surprised by the comment that you left. Effectively, our front desk staff did everything she was able to do to inform you for the conditions of pets.

We informed you that pets were allowed in the rooms and in the restaurant of the summer.

All though, We think you can understand easily that we can not accept pets in our winter restaurant, even though they’re well educated. Effectively, we try to propose an unique experience at each of our clients, some of them could be embarrassed by the presence of a dog during their dinner.

As at our reservation policy, we are also at this point very surprised to hear that they are on the border of “theft”, totally unacceptable and irrespective. Our reservation policy is exactly identical on very much famous hotels and until today none of our clients complained about them.

We thank you for taking the time to leave a comment and hope that you will have the possibility to discover our house in the future and we will be pleased to welcome you and to discuss about these points.

Yours sincerely,

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
High Wycombe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Eyewateringly expensive! Full 27 euros charged for 1 egg and a cup of tea for breakfast!!
Impossibly dark everywhere- no way could you read in the room. No hot water first morning, no complementary bottled water, little Relais and Chateau touches missing and all for 220 euros a night!! Staff pleasant but out of their depth.
Dissappointing and definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Cannes, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Definetly not worth the trip!!! There is nothing to see or do in the village or area, the prices of both hotel and restaurant are ridiculously high considering location(it cannot in anyway compete to hotels/restaurants in Paris or the south of a France). The hotel was ok but very, very dark in every sense of the word - little or no lighting, everything black or plum coloured. Service was not 4-5star, staff friendly but not very qualified and the hotel was short-staffed. The restaurant was certainly not anywhere near a 3 star (we had a better lunch the next day at the autogrill) the food was not bad but it was not good. One of the star dishes: a small boiled potato wrapped in a spinach leaf and drowned in a black truffle sauce which looked like a cross between chocolate pudding and mud(aprox.100 euros) Black sauce was a recurring theme...I would not recommend this hotel or restaurant under any circumstances and have lost all respect for the Guide Michelin!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NY/Westport/Provence
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

It isn't so much that I disagreed with the quality of this 3* restaurant and hotel..I just felt I was 'missing something'? Example: I sent a fried vegetable dish back at the full menu dinner as the oil tasted of Fish. M. Trama came out first all blustery...tasted it...and agreed. Any apology or complimentry coupe de champagne? Non! At these prices....I'm just saying. His wife considers herself to be a 'top designer' and if modern minimalism, with odd pieces of art throughout the hotel , are your thing...you've found nirvana. I must admit my superior room was very, very nice with a terrrific king bed, gorgeous bathroom and a nice size. The decor...well...like the rest of the hotel. Puymirol is a tiny town east of Agen and it is a one street charming, ancient village with lovely views. When we arrived, we took a short walk and enjoyed the architecture of this tiny village. But we had made this stop for a hotel/restaruant 5* experience. I must say that because we had been working during the day by antiquing for business in the Dordogne, when we arrived we were in jeans. Mme. Trama did not give us the warmest of welcomes..and that set the tone. Going down to dinner she gave us a 'second look' as my friend Patricia had on a Chanel suit and was dressed well,too. We clean up real good. That was when she smiled and took us into the small but formal dining room that only had 2 other tables filled.. Where was that smile when we entered the hotel. As I said, the meal was good but the fishy oil and the little scene by M. Trama put a bit of a pail on the rest of the meal. You know...tiny portions....something delicious (like my veal and wild berries of the region) that is gone in two bites. I just didn't get the 3* rating that had been awarded by Michelin. The next morning, even though my friend only wanted coffee...she was charged the full demi-pensionne price for a complete breakfast. As she collects menus (she lives in France and gives cooking classes , herself) for the wall of her giant kitchen where she teaches, she asked if she could have a signed menu to go with the others from Taillavent, Michel Bras, Guy Savoy, L'esperance...etc... She was shocked when Mme Trama told her that would be 20E! She politely told Mme. Trama that she had dined at the finest restaurants throughout France and the menus were on her kitchen wall for her classes. This was the first time she had ever been asked for a payment! Well.,...she still had to pay 20E. Very, very expensive ..this little stop over. Look....I didn't 'get it ' and we had bad vibes from the Misses from the beginning....perhaps you'll have a totally different experience. We were very disappointed adding to that it was a 3* michelin restaurant,too! C'est la vie. C'est ce qu'il etait ! :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Andorra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Restaurant decorated by Jacques Garcia, a charm, magnific. First we ordered a selection of entrées, 5 varieties, nothing amazing, pretty anodyne (For that kind of restaurant). As a Second Course, we ordered a well cooked "Pigeon à la Royale" and " Ravioli de Homard" with truffle sauce, excellent. we found the desserts tasty .Our conclusion: we can say that the cuisine of this restaurant is good, well executed, with good cooking times but in any case is 3 Michelin stars.

Emphasize the extreme kindness, the great professionalism of their Maitre d'Hotel, HE IS the kind of person you always would like to find in places like this.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
newyork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

My wife and I and 2 friends had a fabulous 3 hour lunch on a gorgeous day in late May, '06. We enjoyed our meal on the terrace. The courses were beautifully and interestingly prepared and tasted marvelously. The service was professional and appropriately friendly. The sommelier was helpful, too. Michel Trama spent 30 minutes or so after the meal discussing with us the reasons for his choice of the out of the way location in Puymirol as well as his path to his 3rd Michelin star. It was memorable and it wasn't cheap. The fixed price at that time for the gourmand menu we ordered was 185 euro. With champagne, coktails, white and red wines, we dropped some coinage for the fine memory. I'd certainly recommend the food and the entire experience with the caution that it certainly ain't cheap.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2007

This is meant to be one of the TOP restaurants in France , with prices that reflect this. So our expectation was high.
we 3 were the only guests at the time of stay. The hotel seemed very cold temperature wise , like they had just turned on the heat for us. It was the first real cold spell of the season.The restaurant toilet basin had no hot water. During dinner Michel Trama was no where to be seen. The food was very dissappointing. Compared with Anne Sophie Pic and Georges Blanc that I visited in November, Trama was really unacceptable. The worse was when I asked about using a 800 nbr calling card and was told that 800 nbrs do not work due to the "old" phone system. I would rather be told the truth that they do want to make money on phone calls and therefore have not allowed this dialling--but not some lame excuse. Really a disaster for such a highly rated establishment. The kitchen staff should keep their voices down in the kitchen.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Relais & Chateaux Michel Trama? Share your experiences!