“Amazing stay at Le Gargantua, come again!” 5 of 5 stars

Le Gargantua
Lieu-dit Filou, 47700 Anzex, France   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Anzex B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing stay at Le Gargantua, come again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Whether you are going to do Marleen brilliant pastry course or if you are looking for a place to stay for the night, this is a great place to stay. Marleen and Marc are lovely down to earth hosts who go out of their way for their guests. Lovely rooms, amazing food (if you happen to be there for dinner) and helpful hosts. In the whole experience of doing the pastry course and staying with them exceed my expectations and great value for money. Will definitely be back for another course at some point.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Marlene and Marc were the perfect hosts for a French Patisserie course. The setting is amazing set in the countryside just outside Anzex amongst fields of sunflowers. Our room was clean, large and comfortable, Marc's food was delicious and there was endless amounts of it! Local Buzet wine is very nice too.

Marlene's tuition is well paced, knowledgeable and expertly delivered, everyone managed to produce excellent results even though the weather was scorching. Over 1.5 days in the kitchen we produced different sized Macarons (lemon and basil, absolutely delicious), Choux buns, Choux Eclairs, Croissants, Pain Aux Raisins, Pain Au Chocolat, Mille Feuille and Raspberry Bavarois (two types).

I was very impressed by Marlene's teaching and can say that it was the best course I've every done, which is a tall order having done bakery and cooking courses at a many different places including Betty's (Harrogate) and at Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons (Oxford).

The reason I booked this course as there was nothing available in the UK that covered the same content. I enjoyed the course so much I'll be going back again in the future.

Castelajoux (nearest small town) was really nice and the nearby lake (and white sand beach, 2.5 Euros for entry) was a nice place to spend a few hours at the end of the day before dinner was served.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Wrexham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have just stayed for 3 nights at Le Gargantua for a visit to the beautiful South West which included a patisserie cookery course. This was a treat from my Partner for my Birthday and was the best Birthday present I think I've ever had!

We arrived on saturday afternoon to be presented with homemade canapes and a homemade aperitif made from Cognac and local Agen prunes (anyone who likes Port will love this!). We discussed the course agenda to check we were happy with all the pastries we'd be making and then were made a delicious 3 course dinner.

Sunday consisted of a trip to a local Patisserie where we sampled to our hearts content all the pastries we'd be attempting to make ourselves. The Course Instructor, was so knowledgeable and able to tell us how we could improve upon what we'd sampled. I didn't think it was possible until we started to bake.

We made so many pastries I have never attempted before without fail... I will be expected to repeat the exercise at home for friends and family but know I can have a bloody good go!

If anybody fancies trying this course I think it is brilliant value for money with fantastic supervision and the Instructor guides you at a pace suited to everybody. You will not be disappointed! When you're shattered from baking all day, Marlene's husband Mark feeds and waters you until you're ready to sleep! There was enough food and wine for at least twice as many guests so you will never go hungry!

This is some of the best hospitality I have ever experienced, I will definitely be going back and taking other foodie friends!

Room Tip: Although there was no swimming pool, there is a local outdoor swimming pool and a lake with beach on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My patisserie course here exceeded all of my expectations. From the word go the communication was helpful and prompt, Marc was waiting at the train station to take me to the house. Marc and Marlene are extremely welcoming, great hosts, amazing teachers and amazing cooks! Felt like I was at a friends house learning from a friend. Beautiful house, gorgeous rooms, unbelievable food, Marc's lunches were fabulous I ate far too much over the 4 days but no complaints at all. Fully equipped kitchen and Marlene is willing to tailor the course to your needs. Learnt loads and was surprised at some of the things I produced. Thank you thank you. Hoping to go back as soon as possible! Price is very good for what you get and was lovely that the courses cook for the other guests, real sense of a team.

• Stayed May 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is one of the best holiday experiences I have had from all over the world. The cookery course is very rewarding and enjoyable. The hosts are outstanding. Marlene has a very good way with her students. Mark is a perfect host. It is very clear to see how hard they work to provide their guests with a rewarding and relaxing experience. The venue itself is exquisite. A rustic farmhouse that has been sympathetically restored with excellent facilities in a purpose built cookery school kitchen. Nothing was too much trouble for the hosts and they worked tirelessly and around the clock to ensure that their guests have the experience of a lifetime. I would emphatically recommend this to any type of traveller with any level of cooking ability.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I went to Le Gargantua on my own to do a short cooking course. I was fetched at the station by Marlene who immediately put me at ease. She took me to their home which is also a B&B . The accommodation was clean and comfortable. The house is in a charming country setting. The cooking course began the next day and I was so impressed with Marlene's teaching. There were three of us doing the course. We prepared an entire 3 course meal each day from beginning to end and the food tasted fabulous. Marc, Marlene's husband prepared our lunches and he is an excellent cook too. The wine,flowed freely with every meal and our hosts were excellent company. I can't wait to do another course with Marlene and am hoping to go with a friend next Autumn.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Worthing, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the station and Marlene was there waiting for us. When we got to the house we had tea/coffee and homemade biscuits. We had time to settle in and then dinner! What a treat we had in store. Marc cooked and eat ate, drank and got merry. The next day saw us at the Prune Museum in the morning, home for a lovely lunch, then the cooking began. And what fun we had. I love to cook, my husband is a complete novice, and he enjoyed it so much he wants to do it again. Marlene is patient, kind and funny. Marc is her lovely husband, sous chef, washer upper and general right hand man. So the next days went on. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Our room was lovely, warm and comfy. We were in bed by 10 o'clock, and slept through till morning.

A genuine couple running and great business and I am grateful to have been there to experience a fantastic time.

Stayed May 2013

Been to Le Gargantua? Share your experiences!