“Wonderful Family Holiday” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Via Madonnino, Grassina 102 50060, 50060 Pelago, Italy   |
Ulverston
“Wonderful Family Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had a fantastic week at Villa Grassina at the end of May 2013. The place and the people were wonderful and the views fantastic! It's a great base to explore Tuscany, and especially well situated for Florence. The apartments were rustic but spacious, comfortable and clean. Our children (7 & 10 yrs) loved the pool and the freedom that the situation of the Villa offered. The main reason we will definitely return was the welcome we received. A very big thank you to Valentina and Suzanna - apologies that I have taken so long to write this! The McKeowns

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed a week at Villa Grassina, in apt La Villa, in June/July for a wedding, the wedding was spectacular and just a perfect day. The villa is located high up in the tuscany olive orchards, and we couldn't be more pleased with that. Quiet, beautiful views and rustic, charming rooms. We slept wonderfully, played tennis and soccer, and stayed by the pool all day as tempratures got hot and nice. Note that there's no soap or cleaning supplies in the apartments. They don't clean for a week, and you have to ask for towles. Bring towles for the pool as well. We loved our stay, and even though it wasn't perfect when it came to service or food/wine at the restaurant, it was a very pleasant stay. We walked up and down to Pelago (steep trek!), and bought water, wine and food. We would go again.

Room Tip: La Villa has three bedrooms and quite a large common room with kitchen and everything you need to co...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Albans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Having just seen the review below I had to give a counter view. We've stayed with small children at Villa Grassina on I think six occasions. Suzanna is extremely helpful in my experience. The accommodation is basic Tuscan villa accommodation - don't come here if you are looking for 5* luxury. However, if you are looking for a peaceful holiday in idyllic surroundings in the Tuscan hills then this is the place for you. The views are stunning, the accommodation comfortable, and the amenities very good, including food served in the villa three times per week. I prefer the apartments in the main villa, but we've stayed all over the complex and have really enjoyed it. Don't be put off - it's a beautiful spot and great value.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main villa are, I think, the best
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was interested in this weekly rental in Tuscany because of the low price, property ref IT4903 . The 3 other reviewers on TA gave it good reviews but I want to post my correspondence with them. It seems uncooperative and certainly unwilling to help with my concerns. This was the agent at the rental management company, not the owner I should clarify. But they represent the property and handle the rentals. She had previously written that the property has 40 apartments and the pics on the website are merely to show the style of the furnishings and that they couldn't show pics of each apartment. Below is our correspondence cut and pasted....
Hello,
I'm sure you can understand a renters reluctance to rent a place for a week
sight unseen. While the "style' of them appears nice, I'm concerned about
the sofa and chairs in the living room. I've done 22 home exchanges and
there were 2 where the living room seating pics looked like it might not be
too comfortable but I ignored my gut feeling. Unfortunately. We were very
uncomfortable in the Paris apt for 12 days. Perhaps the owner, in the
interest of renting for a week, would be willing to take some pics and send
them to me or you.
Is the tourist tax pp/pn or just 1 E each person for the 6 nights? What
about the 7th night? No tax? Odd.
In the kitchen does this property have a microwave and toaster? Coffee
maker?"
below is the reply......
"I appreciate your comments but it is obvious you have certain requests so I
would suggest you look elsewhere.
Regards Suzanna"
Perhaps others will think my email to Suzanne was beyond reasonable but I don't think it is.
I am a savvy traveler and believe this correspondence could be construed as a red flag.

In order to get this to post I had to enter the info of the visit but remember this isn't actually a review of the property but of the rental agency through whom one must make the reservations. I would never rent a property where I couldn't see pics of it. That's like buying a pig in a poke.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Villa Grassina is great for what it offers for the price.
The terrace offers fabulous views over the Tuscan countryside. The pool is big but busy at times.
The restaurant open several evenings a week offers reasonable food. We were given pears, tomatoes etc from the estate.
Villa Grassina offers many apartments and they are fairly basic in terms of catering facilities and service involves making up your own beds etc. There is one washing machine outdoors for all to share.
Facilities include a table tennis table, tennis courts and a trampoline. The garden is beautiful.
Basically it is good value for what it offers but is not for anyone who is looking for upmarket accommodation. The hosts are very friendly and go out of their way to help.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed one week in July 2012, with 2 kids in the magnifican Loggia 1 appartment. Very big, great view from the terrace. Very nice place, very typical Toscana. Nice pool, not to bit. Great food on the place on Friday till Sunday. Absolutely a place to return to.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We were excited and nervous when we invited 46 guests to a wedding in a foreign country and to a place which we had never seen. We did not need to worry!!! This place is charming and beautiful and the people who work there are all angels. They made our stay unforgettable. Our wedding was just like a fairytale, every detail that we wanted was met, and to be honest there were a few :) The wedding party stayed for a week enjoing playing tennis, hiking in the area, playing in the pool or drinking a glass of wine in the lovely garden in front of the chapel, and the kids loved the playing area. The appartements where lovely furnished in a typical Tuscan style. We can absolutely recommend this charming 12th century villa, and we will definitely come again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grassina? Share your experiences!