“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Collingham
Hope Valley, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have been to Wood Hall a few times over the last few years.

I always enjoy visiting as the place is always so quiet and relaxing. The spa is wonderful. Admittedly it is small, however, for me that is very appealing.

This is the perfect place to come and have a relaxing overnight stay or two. A truly hidden gem.

The food, although expensive, is also excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GordonBurniston, General Manager at Wood Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your recent visit to us.

I’m glad you have enjoyed previous visits to the hotel over the years, I agree with you about your comments “Hidden Gem”, I think that sums up the hotel perfectly. I’m glad you enjoyed the spa and I also agree that the size of it is part of its appeal.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

416 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just returned from a spa day for two at the hotel's day spa. After a nice lunch, hit the gym which had the basics in but was small and not much bigger than my front room. With four people in at once if felt crowded. Pool and steam room nice but changing rooms tiny and cramped, with only one loo and no changing area for small children/ babies. Facial was great and staff pleasant but biggest gripe is that there is no comfortable space, apart from the dining area and 4 sun loungers at the side of a small and busy pool, to relax, meaning that I would NOT return to spend a day there. The spa looks nice online but in reality is so tiny with no space to just sit that I would not return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your feedback following your recent visit to us.

I’m sorry you did not enjoy our spa facilities; we do have a number of spas within the Hand Picked collection which maybe to your liking. We have a more personal spa and our team try to ensure our guests enjoy a relaxing experience.

Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We arrived early but were told our room was ready so we checked in. We had booked 2 nights on the DBB package with champagne and canapés included. First impressions of the hotel were fab, having stayed in lots of large corporate chains, we now prefer smaller hotels as the customer service is much better. We were shown to our room by a lovely Yorkshire man who recommended places to see and where to go. First look at the room we were pleased, it had a fab view and a big bed....but once we were alone, I was disappointed to find the loo seat was dirty, the tv was not dusted, there was a chip in my mug, there was a dodgy looking white stain by the bed and I wasn't totally sure the room had been hoovered.

Not wanting to ruin our break, we decided to pop out to do a bit of sight seeing, and asked reception if they could send housekeeping back in to sort out the cleaning. The young lady on reception was lovely, apologising for the issues and promised to sort it out by the time we got back.

After a lovely afternoon in Harrogate we returned to the hotel and were greeted at the door by another lovely member of staff, who told us that they were unable to sort the carpet stain and would like to move us to a deluxe room!! We were shown to what I can only describe as a 'Wow' room and we were totally blown away!

We had dinner that night in the restaurant and again we were not disappointed...steak that melted in the mouth and delicious brownie for desert. My hubby's veggie option was just as tasty. Breakfast didn't disappoint either, tea made with tea leaves, and a fry up made to order, just what was needed before a days sight seeing.

We also used the spa, the piccies do not do this justice on the website, yes it's small, but it's perfect for the size of the hotel...we swam, used the gym and the jacuzzi and found it very relaxing and was spotless.

All in all I can't fault this hotel, the staff are so helpful and friendly and despite a shaky start we had an amazing break and are slowly working our way around all of the Hand Picked Hotels having stayed at both Rookery Hall and Nutfield Priory....the common theme in all being the fantastic customer service and friendly staff.

Can't wait to book our next one!

Room Tip: Any room in the main house...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your wonderful feedback following your recent visit to us.

My apologies for the issues with the room on arrival, but delighted the team was able to resolve this for you. We have subsequently refurbished your original room as part of our normal maintenance practices.

I was pleased to read about the welcome you received on both occasions, we have a wonderful front of house team and I’m glad they were able to guide you to some local attractions.

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Wood Hall - excellent, location - excellent, Staff - excellent, Accommodation - excellent, Food - excellent, chef - excellent.

The whole visit was so empowering, every staff member we spoke to were so friendly and informative.

The Wood Hall Hotel should be the centre of excellence among the Handpicked Hotels Group.

I cant fault our stay it was an absolute pleasure

Being a Yorkshire man and wanting every bit for my money, I must say the quality and value for money of the Wood Hall Hotel stands out as a marvelous relaxing experiance

Room Tip: Just read trip advisor, I believe all rooms have there own special perspective.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your excellent feedback following your recent visit to us.

I had great joy in reading your review, I’m delighted that you found us value for money and you had a nice relaxing experience with us. As you mention in your room tip we do have a number of different types of deluxe rooms at the hotel, all very individual, we have a number of returning guests who have their favourite rooms at the hotel.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I've been here for a conference and spent one night +dinner. Very nice hotel, country-elegant style in the wonderful scenario of the yorkshire's country. Room very comfortable, clean and 'warm'. The buffet breakfast was very good and the dinner excellent. I had a tasty artichoke soup, a cheese souffle and seabass, all definitely good. Dessert: chocolate tart with passion fruit sorbet..wonderful. A decent tuscany sangiovese as wine. I would like to come back in the spring to enjoy all that is around.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your nice feedback following your recent visit to us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your conference with us, also the food, wine and the room. As we look forward to spring I hope to welcome you with a bit of warmth in the air!

Manchester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is great place for a relaxing break in the countryside. We stayed midweek and had the restaurant to ourselves which suited us perfectly but may not be to everyone’s taste. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and is quite remote which means once you are there you can only really go elsewhere if you drive. This is fine if you want a quiet stay as the hotel bar is only small and not really somewhere to spend the night boozing! There is a lovely pub at the entrance to the grounds (approx. 1m or so) which we went to that was a great alternative to eating in the hotel every night.

The spare is lovely, we had a couple of treatments and were more than happy with the service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your recent visit to us.

I’m glad you enjoyed the hotel, as you say in your title our hotel is set in the countryside away from all the hustle and bustle, however we are only 20 minutes away from both Harrogate and York and Leeds is only 25 minutes away.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Have just returned from a birthday treat of hotel stay and spa experience at Wood Hall from the outset of the greeting received at reception to a very reluctant departure the stay at the hotel was of the highest of standards. The room my sister and I stayed in was very comfortable with all needs catered for. Afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast were all excellent - all delicious and beautifully presented. The staff were exceptionally pleasant, very friendly and most accommodating. The treatments in the adjoining spa were excellent. A return visit is a must!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your recent visit to us.

I was delighted to read that you and your sister enjoyed the hotel and that the team looked after you during your stay. We are very proud of the team we have here at Wood Hall, they do make every effort to ensure our guests enjoy their visit to us.

Gordon

Been to Wood Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!