This is a lovely place. Decoration ('boutique') is suberbly done, with great furniture and loads of ceramic art and pastel colours. Staff is extremely friendly and helpfull, and really want to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Free billiarts. Good massage facilities. Splendid view from the restaurant on to the beach. Really laid back atmosphere. Good food and plenty of choice, although quite expensive, as everywhere on Koh Samui. The bungalows are allright, I prefer the stone bungalows of Cactus to the wooden ones in other places: it just feels more safe and is less noisy. The airconditioned bungalows have very cool sliding glass doors, that are shaded, so you can look out but people can't look inside! You can walk to the nice 'fisherman village' in 20 minutes.
-The airconditioning makes a horrible noise, so much that I had to turn it off to finally get some sleep. Later I used earplugs. Only a trickle of hot water, and not really hot either. The tv shows mainly local channels, so isn't really of much use either. So maybe a cheaper fan room without hot water and tv is a better idea (the cold water is tepid, so almost the same as the 'hot' water in the more expensive bungalows, and the fan makes less noise than the airconditioning).
-The area in between the bungalows could use some gardening: it's all a bit dried out and rather sandy.
-I had a problem opening my safe because the battery had run out. The owner said he would replace the batteries, but he didn't. The whole place is very secure so I guess you don't need the safe anyway.
-There is a disproportionate large amount of French guests. So it's even nicer if you are French, then you can hang out with the french owner and other french cronies, get discounts, and behave totally chauvinistic and ridiculous towards the other guests. If you are not French, the owner will not really care about you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the middle of Bophut Beach. Created 13 years ago and designed by the owner. Still considers itself as a guest house. One of the last old school getaways in Samui. Attractive prices. Great food from traditional Thai to home-made pizza. Cocktail bar (great mojitos) and free pool-table. For the ones who like it smooth and simple. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Cactus Bungalow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cactus Bungalow Hotel Koh Samui
- Cactus Bungalow Ko Samui/Bophut