“Just what we were looking for” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   9 / 99 Moo 5, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #22 of 172 Hotels in Bophut
Certificate of Excellence 2014
sydney
“Just what we were looking for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I spent our 10th wedding anniversary here. Just what we were looking for -isolated and beautiful. This resort is situated out of town on its own private beautiful beach. Our room was spacious and the bathroom huge and luxurious. The breakfast was amazing and the dinners we had at the resort reasonable and delicious. You cannot walk to shops easily or restaurants from this resort, cabs are cheap though. The staff were friendly and attentive. The sweet dessert left every night was a treat and nice touch. We loved it however the location will not be for everyone. The pools are warm but other guests told us their villa room pools were much cooler. The pools were beautiful and is by no means a fault go the resort by not having colder pools. Loved every minute. The little beach restaurant next door does cheap beer and an amazing seafood salad. Grab a canoe and explore the beaches round the corners.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Melati_Samui, Public Relations Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear min05,

First and foremost, congratulations on your 10 year union! The Team wishes you many more decades of happiness with your husband. Thank you for choosing Melati Beach Resort & Spa for your anniversary, we are truly honored and overjoyed that your experience with us was memorable.

Your comments on the service and accommodation are most gratifying and will be shared with all the team, as there is nothing more motivating than guests who take the time to send a note of appreciation.

We thank you again for your kind words and look forward to serving you soon.

With Warmest Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed in room #302 which is a Private Garden Pool Room. Over all it was a very relaxing vacation, and would stay here again.

Room:
When i walked in I was really impressed. Large, spacious, well decorated, nice layout, and great amenities: anything from your usual to a rubber mat for the shower. I was really satisfied with the room, it was even better than the photos. Furniture was not worn or damaged.

Beach:
I was happy with the beach. Koh Samui in general is not known for the best beaches in the world, I've seen better even in Koh Samed, but still it was quite nice. Yes there is an area where a small drain goes into the ocean, but it did not smell or interrupt my sun bathing in the least for my entire trip. I guess we all have different experiences.
Its a small strip, but its private, 'swimmable', and the water is clear and warm in April. The sand is whitish in color, and is very soft in some places and a little rough as you go closer to the resort. This is typical of even the best beaches in koh samui.

Location:
I loved the location, it was private, peaceful, and just a 15 minute drive to the busy party/ shopping area in Chaweng. The hotel offers a shuttle service for 200 Bhat one way while a normal taxi would charge around 300 Bhat after bargaining, so its quite fair and reasonable. Its a resort set off the main road, but if you really have to you can hike up a hill to get out of the resort, and about 10 min down the street there is a convenience store. After going around Koh Samui, I felt we had made the right choice.

Breakfast:
Huge selection, and even as vegetarians we had a lot of choice. Large variety of fruits, juices, breads, cereals, and fresh veggies from the salad bar. Something from all parts of the world. It was definitely worth it. The staff in this area was wonderful, made my morning every day. Also the view to the beach from the restaurant was spectacular.

Grounds:
Just beautiful, so much greenery and flowers. The smell of the flowers was in the air and it was very romantic. I live in a area where there is tons of luscious greenery, and i was still impressed.

Pool: beautiful views, spacious, and always equipped with towels, chairs, and friendly staff. They have a separate pool for adults only in the middle of the resort, also really nice.

Check in and Check out:
Smoothe.... when we were checking out, we were told that there was a mosquito sticker missing from our room and there was a charge. When i said i didn't take it, they immediately dropped the topic and apologized. This is the kind of service attitude you expect but don't always get a five star.

Other positives:
- Huge collection of DVDs (new and old films) in their library, rent them for free
- Good free internet speed in the room, and other areas of the hotel
- TV channels had a good selection
- Very friendly and helpful staff, even the gardeners stop their work to greet you
- Evening beach programs, dance, music, fire show, all free
- Daily treats in your room, to match the theme of the day... also complimentary
- Morning activities for adults range from yoga to cooking classes, same for kids, lots of activities most of them free

We didn't eat at the restaurants for lunch or dinner, or use the spa service. We went to other hotels that had more vegetarian options. Yes the room dining service is expensive, but the price you are paying for the room it should not surprise you.

The only negative point:
While the staff cleaned the room and private pool at least twice or thrice a day without me having to wait around for them (in fact i never even saw the cleaning staff, my room was just magically cleaned), still the standard of cleaning was not what i expected. There were cigarette butts in the garden from previous guests, that remained during our entire stay, and also I had spilled some juice on the table and it didn't get cleaned for 2 days. On the up side I am sure that if I would have called the reception and mentioned these things, they would have immediately had it taken care of.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nitaipriya,

Thank you for choosing Melati Beach Resort & Spa and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. It is always encouraging to hear that our guests enjoyed our many of our facilities and have so many positive things to say. It is much appreciated.

We will take your feedback as motivation to work even harder to exceed our guest’s expectations and beyond. The Team looks forward to welcoming you back to Samui in the hopefully not too distant future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The biggest problem with the resort I think is its beach. From the look it's OK. but if you walk 10 meters left, you will notice a open sewage goes straight into where you swim... and worst is that you can smell it. The resort's swimming pool looks amazing from a distance, but when you step into it, you will soon start to worry be cut by the titles underneath. The titles in the pool need to be re-done properly. Instead, they just patch them here and there when it is filled.

During my stay, my room toilet blocked twice. One day the water's cut off for more than an hour. When the water came back, it came out as brown...

They got wrong with my room service order. Instead of Garlic Prawn, gave me a lobster... you may think that's not bad, only if you taste the lobster. It's one of those forzen ones, tasted rotten...

Another ridiculous thing is its airport dropoff policy. If you ask the reception to book a airport dropoff, they charges 300B/Person! They are ok for you to book a taxi yourself, which will cost around 400-500B overall. I've asked the reception for a reason why the airport dropoff is so pricy, the answer is just "that's our policy"...

Anyway, I've been to better place than this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear ahatom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Melati Beach Resort & Spa. I was very sorry to learn that your stay with us was a disappointment. As customer service remains our top priority, feedback such as yours enables us to improve our service, facilities and therefore we are very grateful to you for bringing them to our attention.

Nevertheless, as a result of an unsatisfactory experience, some of the issues raised may have been blown slightly out of proportion. Kindly allow me to respond for the sake of transparency.
Regarding the alleged sewer on the beach, I would like to refer you to previous reviews from guests who categorically deny ever experiencing any unpleasant odors on our beach.
While the price for our airport transfer may seem high to you, please note that we offer the same if not more competitive prices for our services as any resort of the same rating located in the area.

That being said, on behalf of the management, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. We would also take this opportunity to thank you for your patronage - we do hope that the above misgivings will not prevent you from considering our hotel the next time you are in Samui.

Daniel G. Fuchs
Group General Manager
Melati Beach Resort & Spa
Chaweng Regent Beach Resort
Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Melati for 5 nights on our Honeymoon in February 2013. The resort was so much more than what we expected. We were both so happy to have such a beautiful place to relax and wind down from the hectic planning of our Wedding. We were so pleased with the entire stay that we are determined to make Melati a regular destination.
After a long string of flights from Australia to Koh Samui, it was great to be picked up from the airport by the resorts limousine service. We were so jet lagged and sick of being in transit, it was nice to be greeted by the friendly driver of a very new Landcruiser complete with icy cold towels and cold water (sooo nice on such a hot day).
On arrival at the resort, we were greeted with many smiling faces and beautiful surroundings. Every inch of the resort is breathtaking! We were taken over to the lounge area in the alfresco style reception where we were given more icy cold towels along with delicious homemade iced tea (I have no idea what flavour it was but it was amazing! Please let me know if anybody else does!!!).
Our room was the Pool Villa & was really awesome. The photos on the websites don’t even do this resort justice. Everything about it feels relaxing, luxurious & happy! My very favourite part of Melati would have to be the gardens and decore. Everything is so well thought out and it creates the best atmosphere. The restaurants are designed so nicely and the service and food quality are second to none! Loved the swim up bar and the view from it was great!
I can honestly say that Melati Beach Resort is by far the best place I have ever stayed!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Pool Villa around the Sanctuary Pool. Was very quiet, though I don't think the re...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melati_Samui, Public Relations Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Tashy_rae,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Melati Beach Resort & Spa. We are delighted to hear your stay at Melati was the best place you’ve ever stayed. It is such an honor to be selected among so many resorts on Samui for your holiday most especially as your honeymoon destination!

It is always encouraging to hear that our guests enjoyed our many of our facilities and have so many positive things to say. It is much appreciated. All your indications will be very useful for future guests.

We are glad to read that we will see you again next time. We look forward to serving you soon.

Thanks again for your fantastic comments.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

A beautiful setting marred only by sub-standard service.

Pros
• The setting really is something and the grounds are very well kept. Luscious green setting with plenty of natural water features running running throughout the large grounds.
• Rooms are just amazing. Enormous size, with a French countryside interior design are clean, spacious, modern and breezy. Bathroom is gigantic. Plenty of natural light and privacy.
• We had a private pool villa and spent a lot of time in the outdoor area as it was so relaxing.
• Gym is fantastic and very well-stocked with equipment.

Cons
• By Thailand's incredibly high standards, the staff were not great. Generally they felt very young and inexperienced. Some of them were very blunt and there was a lack of friendliness in most of the staff there.
• Food was only average to below average.
• There wasn't enough umbrellas on the beach to go with the chairs and as such we got sunburned. This is inexcusable. After a while the beach staff simply ignored our requests for umbrellas and left us to talk to other staff around the bar. 4 or 5 of the umbrellas were broken.
• The resort is quite remote and you need a car to access anywhere else on the island. Although we didn't mind this and enjoyed the peacefulness, some may see as a negative.
• Lots of families here. Didn't worry us too much but there was a LOT of families and kids/babies here. There is an 'adult only' pool area back away from the beach which was nice touch for some peace and quiet.

Probably wouldn't stay here again as there are other resorts on the island I'd like to try. But if I did come back it would be for the pool villa, which was one of the most amazing rooms I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Private Pool Villa
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Melati_Samui, Public Relations Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Alice_and_Ryan,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your compliments about our rooms and facilities. However, the Team at Melati Beach Resort & Spa is very sorry to hear of your disappointment with regards to staff and service. As customer service remains our top priority, feedback such as yours enables us to improve our service, facilities and therefore we are very grateful to you for bringing the issue to our attention.

On behalf of the management, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you and your partner, please be advised that your experience in no way reflects our dedication to our valued guests. We recently implemented an intensive training program for the entire Team to ensure that no similar incidents can occur.

We would also take this opportunity to thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We spent 4 unforgettable days in this Hotel.
Hotel maximum 3 star, staff extremely slow and speak mostly only Thai(((
Nice beach, but all the sewerage drains from the hotel and beach restaurant every morning streaming directly to the sea that's why salty water smells realy badly !!!!!!!!!
I made some pictures of this stream but hotel staff did nothing because this this the only way for sanitary piping in the 5-star hotel Melati!!! ))))
Do not swim there especially you have kids, otherwise you have all the chances visit local hospital very soon.
First day was ours last on this beach. I'm not sure about cleanness Chongmon and Lamai beaches but anyway it looks safer)))
The second BIG problem in the hotel - night beach parties!
During our stay we cannot sleep 2 night until 24-00 because extremely noisy disco-party's on the hotel beach + at 23-00 both days hotel arranged big firework not pay any attention for customers!
You cant protect from its music nowhere in the hotel and of cause in the room
The last day Russian party finished at 01-00!

Try to avid Melati if you want to swim in the Sea and sleeping during the night time!

Exactly worst beach hotel during my 20-years experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melati_Samui, Public Relations Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear past and future Melati guests,

We would like to inform you that this review was written by a disgruntled guest residing at the establishment adjacent to Melati Beach Resort & Spa. After investigating and consulting our guest profiles for that period, we found no record of this reviewer.

The comments above were evidently distorted owing to antagonism and leading not only to exaggeration, but also unequivocal fallacy. We kindly ask you to disregard this review.

Thank you for choosing Melati Beach Resort & Spa, we look forward to welcoming you very soon!

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Melati for ten nights from the 20th March through to the 30th. We stayed in a Grand Deluxe villa and had a full board package.
Firstly I will say that my husband and I are frequent travellers. In the past twelve months we have visited Germany, Sri Lanka, The Maldives, New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, China, California and Las Vegas. Whilst I often refer to trip advisor for advice/reviews and occasionally contribute to forums, this is the first time I have arrived home so happy from my holiday that I’ve felt the push inside me to write a review.
To start off – our room exceeded expectations. As a “standard” room, the Grand Deluxe was anything but standard. The bed was HUGE, there was a nice living area with an incredibly comfortable couch, mini bar which actually offered decent rates (unlike some of the extortionate mini bars we have experienced elsewhere), a decent sized balcony with table and chairs and another couch, a generous sized bathroom with a shower room separate to the outside bath (don’t worry, this was concealed to any passers-by). The maids were brilliant; they always managed to time it perfectly so they were in and out whilst we were away from the room. In addition to this, their attention to detail was second to none- any clothes left would be hung up, toiletries lined up, towels refreshed daily etc…
We spent most of our days relaxing by the infinity pool. Contrary to some of the reviews on here (which are a minority, might I add), the pool was clean and in good condition. There is a swim up bar where a team of friendly/jolly staff would happily serve you anything from cocktails/beers/smoothies/ice creams – there was a huge amount of choice and everything was delicious. There are three happy hours per day where all drinks are 2 for 1.
As I mentioned above, we had a full board package. Now I was a bit dubious about booking Full Board as I thought that eating in the same resort for ten nights might get a bit boring. However, I can assure you this was not the case. There are two restaurants – firstly there is “The View” which is situated next to the infinity pool overlooking the beach. The view offers a good mix between Western and Thai food. There is a huge choice and every meal I had was delicious and of top quality. There is then Koh Sak Thong located closer to the reception. KST is a Thai restaurant, tucked away nice and quiet for a relaxing intimate dinner- the food was amazing and there was some light entertainment in the background (nothing in your face, just a few musicians). In addition to these two restaurants, there were also three BBQ’s on the beach during our stay – again, these were brilliant. The food was cooked fresh in front of you from the BBQ and there was a large buffet alongside the food cooked on the BBQ. I am not usually too keen on buffet food- the thought of food sitting out for hours puts me off a bit, but this buffet was regularly replenished and all food was covered up.
One point I have noted from some previous reviews, which totally baffles me, is that people complain about the location. Personally, I don’t understand how people would book a stay in the resort without checking the location first. Yes, the Melati is slightly further from some of the more lively parts of Koh Samui but to me this is one of the attractions. It was so lovely to stay somewhere that you could totally chill out and relax without having people trying to sell stuff on the beach etc. Also, it was a short 10 minute journey (if that) to Chaweng. The resort offers a shuttle three times per day at a very reasonable rate or if you wish to take a taxi, the hotel has their own taxi service.
I did not have any treatments at the Spa. I did however have three massages from the poolside team. These massages are of fantastic value – an hour’s Thai massage is just 500B. Living in London I would pay 6 times this amount for an hour’s massage and the quality wouldn’t be half as good. The best massage I had was from Maew. I’d recommend you book in with her if possible, by far the best massage I have ever had.
I cannot praise the staff at Melati highly enough - We’d often sit around the bar and the staff would always have a joke/chit chat As well as this, they seemed genuinely happy to be working at the Melati- they all worked very well as a team and you could see a good level of banter between them. In particular, Estee and Charm really stood out. Estee as very attentive, every day she would make a point of greeting us and checking everything was ok with our stay – she was incredibly personable/approachable and made us feel very welcome. Charm was more than helpful and would have a good laugh with my husband and I each day – he also remembered our favourite drinks which is always a nice touch.
To conclude, I would like to thank Melati for a very enjoyable stay and for making our first wedding anniversary one to remember. Typically we don’t return to the same place more than once, but I might have to break that rule and make an exception here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear VegasGirlLondon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Melati Beach Resort & Spa.

It was certainly a pleasure to read that you and your husband thoroughly enjoyed our facilities. Your comments on the service and quality of food are most gratifying and will be shared with the entire team. Charm and Esthee along with everyone else will certainly be grateful for your comments, as there is nothing more motivating than guests who take the time to send a note of appreciation.

We are glad to read that we will see you again and thank you for your kind words. We look forward to serving you soon.

With Warmest Regards,

Been to Melati Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!