“Hidden Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Birmingham
“Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights (Room 6) and only wish I had found this place on my visit last year! Very peaceful resort with everything to offer. Spacious rooms cleaned everyday and BIG bathrooms. I had stayed in the rooms closer to the road but it's not noisy enough to prevent you from getting a good nights sleep. The place is very well ran with friendly professional staff! Footsteps from the beach and Big Buddha pier, even quite nice to watch the planes coming in to land. Resort offers WiFi, massaging facilities (though I never used them) and surrounded by plenty of bars (not too noisy), only a 5min drive to Fishermans Village (200Baht taxi easy to flag down). Food is very good and both that and drinks are reasonably priced!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
County Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We choose to go to the Secret Garden as my daughter and her partner visited September 2012 and had enjoyed it very much. We arrived and were met by a very nice driver with very good air conditioned transport, arranged by John. On our arrival both John and Rik were out, there had been a problem with a water shortage and there was no power, not a major problem it does happen on the Island with such a lack of rain, don't be put off by this the Island is beautiful and well worth a visit. The rooms (bungalows) are clean but even with air conditioning on very hot, due to corrugated tin roofs, the bed was not comfortable ok for small young very light people, however very used and in need of replacement. We only used the secret garden beach once the sun beds were stapled together and collapsed when my partner lay on it, the general cushions and seat coverings are desperately in need of cleaning. Word of warning the secret garden area is not clean and not really suitable to swim in there's a lot of local people live near by and we were told some of there rubbish/waste goes into the sea. There is some beautiful beaches a short journey away. The locals that work in the Secret Garden could do a lot more to help the appearance of the place they are quite happy to stand around all day maybe a bit of advice for John there's plenty of easy jobs they could do to improve the appearance. The food was good we tried breakfast, lunch and evening meal all very tasty and well prepared. Overall the place was fine but no for us to visit again. I would advise anyone to pay for drinks and food as you go to save any queries to end of stay bills, this is something my daughter advised before we visited. Finally a word to Rik it would be good if maybe at times you actually walked round the restaurant and generally asked visitors how things are is everything ok it does wonders for your reputation! We paid a full days charge to keep our room until it was time to travel to airport we moved to room 6 this room was a good size but the smell was horrific from the drains and waste pipes needs sorting.

Room Tip: We had a beach side bungalow position within the Secret Garden good
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The bungalows are beautiful though a bit too compact. The resort is located right on the beach.

The location of the hotel is in the quieter part of town but there are multiple bars located in the vicinity. If you are looking for the main fun and action stick to chwaeng beach. Pick this hotel for being on the beach and within 10 mins of driving distance from chwaeng. It is also barely 5-10 mins from the airport. So your in a quiet location though not far.

It is also close to the pier from where boats leave for KOH Tao, KOH panang. So it's very convenient for the full moon parties and scuba diving.

The bar is great here.

Faced a bit of a problem with water shortage though. Taps ran dry on one of the days and had limited supply on the other days.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
samui
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I loved Riks when it was on the Ghost Road, now he is at Secret Garden it is even better, the best food and the best view. I have had the lamb chops twice and not only are they mouthwateringly delicious they are affordable too! The menu is very comprehensive with something for every taste and budget. My Mum was over the moon with her steak, Dad loved the sweet and sour and my partner, like me, has not stopped raving about the lamb with lashings of mint sauce. Riks is a gem of a restaurant in Bangrak, has off road parking, a great ambiance and really professional staff. Gets ten out of ten from me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My flight was late arriving, I arrived at Secret Garden at 11:00 pm and John was still waiting for me to arrive. Check in seamless and I was soon shown to my Bungalow # 4 which was to be my home for the next 10 nights until I had to change rooms.

Bungalow very nice with a large bed, sofa, wardrobe and refrigerator and outdoor shower and bathroom.

My next room was the smaller suite # 6 which is actually quite large with a huge bathroom. Only thing was it did not get much of a breeze when sitting on the porch in the late afternoon.
But, no problem.

My next suite was # 5 and it is huge! Living area, kitchen bar, and separate bedroom and another large bathroom.

These are closer to the road and at NO time did I hear traffic or music from the bars unless I was sitting outside.

Food was great and I did not think the prices were exorbitant. I ate quite a bit at the restaurant because the food was so good. Hard to say what my favorites were. Nice to be able to order Pad Thai or curry for breakfast or just about anything for that matter.

The owners and staff are fantastic and very friendly.

Massage on the beach right in front of the resort is a must.

Sunday night Live Music and barbecue should not be missed. Reservations are a good idea as around 200 will show up.

Next year when I return to Secret Garden it will be for 3 weeks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here with my husband, baby and toddler. I had a room towards the back, near the road and did not experience any disturbance from traffic or bars. The 2 single beds could be pushed together to create one huge bed big enough for us all, much larger than if we had booked the double room. Also the room was larger wih lots of space for the kids and the bathroom was enormous! we had a great little gated area outside the room perfect for the kids to play in with sofa and table also. Rooms and resort are extremely clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly. There was a planned power cut on Samui during the day that we stayed and staff brought large bins of water round to everybody so we could still shower, excellent service!! The sea was clear and good for swimming in. Very relaxing, I didn't want to leave and will definitely be coming back again and again :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Zagreb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Secret Garden beach resort is a lovely little place in Bangrak, near the Big Buddha beach. It offers very good value for money, except for the restaurant which is kinda expensive. Rooms are nice and big and cleaned every day, bathroom is HUGE and there's a safety deposit box in the closet. Resort has a private beach which is really nice and well-maintaned, with free deck-chairs. Staff was really nice and helpful and spoke very good English (which is rarity in Thailand). The only thing I didn't like about this hotel was that I was charged for rooms upon booking, i.e. before I even got there - when I had to shorten my stay I was charged anyway and they wouldn't refund me the money, explaining that was the hotel policy. All in all, very good place to stay while in Koh Samui.

Room Tip: Get the beachfront bungalow if available.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Secret Garden Beach Resort? Share your experiences!