“brilliant hotel great food great stay .” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Baan Bophut Beach Hotel

You added Baan Bophut Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Baan Bophut Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6/9 Moo 1 | FIsherman's Village, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #45 of 172 Hotels in Bophut
Oxford, United Kingdom
“brilliant hotel great food great stay .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel is very clean, nice and small with very friendly helpful staff, the food is some of the best we have had on the island. All the staff make you feel at home .We have stayed here a number of times and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Basic accommodation but excellant location!

We had booked what we thought was a room on the first floor as pictured, however on arrival we were shown to a loftroom on the second floor which has not been used for months, and was of a very poor standard. The balcony was tiny, the room was about 100 degrees (no one had attempted to cool it for our arrival) and the toilet seat was cracked. On making our views known to the staff (Thai staff - no English manager present) he was happy to move us to a ground floor room which was far superior to the previous and we gratefully accepted. If there had been no other rooms available we would not have stayed in this hotel.

Although the second room (room 1) was far superior to the first, it was not without problems. As previously mentioned the electric in this room goes off when the shower is used for more than about 10 mins. This happened twice on our first night and on average once every other day following this. It was a great inconvenience meaning that showers needed to be rushed but the staff dealt with it quickly and efficiently. I feel that the management should have delt with this issue when it was first raised but could not fault the staff's response to it.

Secondly as previously mentioned, the doors have a significant gap between them making it impossible to keep mosquitos out. There are many mosquitos around nd i was bitten several times.

Thirdly, the rooms are far fom quiet as the reception is just outside the door and the villa next door has a very loud airconditioning system. During our stay maintenence was also being carried out next door and noise was also audible from this (not hotel's fault).

Fourth, there are several collared dogs in the area (one who visits each morning with the English lady who i assume is watching the place while the owner is away) who use the grassed area as a toilet. During our stay, one pile of dog's mess remained for 48 hours before it was picked up. This is not ideal in an area that is for walking around barefoot. Please note that the local stray that lies under the sunbed never comes onto the grass, if only their own dogs could be trained as well as him.

Fifth, as previously mentioned, the hotel sunbeds, towels and sheets are old and need replacing.

Positives: good food, good location, no issues with Thai staff (young man in restaurant very good), although some appear a little lazy, however there was no manager present so who can blame them - most issues are for management to address. No English present to discuss with at the time.

Room Tip: Never chose loft room and if wanting a room on first floor make sure that is clear. Not room 1 on go...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BaanBophut, Owner at Baan Bophut Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
I am the new owner of Baan Bophut Beach Hotel who took over in Summer 2014. I am happy to report that all the problems you mention under the previous ownership have been resolved. We have completely gutted and changed all guest rooms to modernize and improve the hotel's facilities. The formerly dark, stuffy loft rooms are now massive stunning showcase ocean view rooms. All new water heaters have been installed in all rooms that eliminate the hot water issue you experienced. New doors with electronic key card systems have been installed on guest rooms. Sunbeds have had all cushions replaced, and all towels and sheets have been personally inspected and any that had holes or stains have been replaced. We invite you to take a look at the new www.baanbophut.com website that shows the new guest rooms and improved facilities and we believe you will be impressed with the changes that have been made. We hope you will consider our hotel if your plans call for you to return to Samui.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I have just had a look at this on trip advisor and cannot understand how there are any bad reviews ... I stayed for three days in August, went to Koh Tao for three days and then came back to Baan Bophut again as could not stay away! We found the staff hospitable, the room was very clean and it felt like we were in our own beach hut, breakfast better than any inclusive breakfast I've had so far in Asia and the SWIMMING POOL was just perfect!
I cannot recommend highly enough and will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: we were in a ground floor room which I would recommend as you can walk straight out to the beach.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Location. The hotel is situated at the quiet end of the Fisherman’s Village in Bophut. I believe this end of the beach is quieter as the sea is unsuitable for swimming here ( do not stay here if being able to swim in the sea is a deal breaker for you). However the hotel has a decent pool. Ultimately I knew the location in advance as I have stayed in neighbouring hotels – everything you need is within a few minutes’ walk and I personally prefer this end of the beach because it feels more exclusive almost like your own private beach.

Room. All rooms are sea facing with fantastic views over to Koh Phangnan. The views are of a level which you would pay a hefty premium for elsewhere. The rooms are a good size for the price. The first floor rooms offer greater privacy whilst the ground floor rooms offer direct beach access. The balconies / verandahs are again a decent size and have comfy lounger chairs which have recently been reupholstered. The king size bed was very comfortable and extra pillows were provided on request. The walls can be a bit thin so bring earplugs if you want to sleep before your neighbours. Hot water was always available and I have stayed at a number of 4 or 5 star hotels which have not been able to deliver on this. Some of the bathroom towels were a bit threadbare and would benefit from a replacement sometime soon. I found the room clean on arrival and the rooms are obviously well cleaned between changeovers. However the day to day maid service was less good and appeared limited to remaking the bed and emptying the bins.

Food and Drink. A continental breakfast is included. Anything above this is extra which I did not have a problem with. Despite what the menu said there was no choice of juice or cereal available and if you are here for a number of days this can become repetitive. The coffee is very good but you will need to pay extra for a second cup. The food we did order from the restaurant was good and we rated above some of the restaurants we tried. However service in the bar / restaurant is exceptionally poor and you really are treated as if you are massively inconveniencing the staff with your presence.

Facilitiies. The pool is very good for the size of hotel. It is a reasonable size, well maintained and has a great view.

Staff and service. This is where the hotel fails miserably. In many visits to Thailand and Asia I have rarely if ever come across a lazier bunch of individuals than the staff at the Baan Bophut. They are not rude as such – although the receptionist could try the occasional smile – just extremely disinterested. Getting them to look up from their mobile phones and acknowledge your existence is a challenge in itself. It is a shame as everything else about the hotel I believe represents excellent value for money. If you are the owner of this hotel I would urge you to take note. Look at the recent comments on this site. Your staff’s lack of care and service is damaging your business. If you can’t be there you need to ensure that you have an onsite manager who is prepared to ensure your paying clientele are not treated as an unwelcome interruption to your staff’s social lives.

Value for money. For the size of the room, location, comfort of the bed and the view I think the hotel offers really good value for money.

Ultimately I am left with mixed feelings about the hotel. On a number of levels it gets things right but the overall sense we were left with was from the poor staff and general lack of service. I would probably stay here again but if you lack the patience to cope with lazy staff I suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

There is a noisy renovation next door. Pool tiles were being chipped away and an angle grinder removing grout. I overheard the owner positing out the inside of the house. The hotel itself has a small pool, warm water( no hot water), cracked toilet seat,wardrobe clothes rods that fell down twice before fixed with fishing line and hooks, assortment of labeless toiletries,broken ceiling fan in the breakfast area. The coffee machine broke down on the second day and we were forced to have instant coffee. There is no escaping air conditioning noise as none of the rooms have ceiling fans. We were forced to open the balcony doors and get bitten by mosquitos at night. The air conditioning unit in our room was covered in dust as was the centre room light which didn't work.The TV cable reception is poor and the movie channel is in Russian. After 4pm there is no one at reception. At night I heard a dog wining as it had obviously taken refuge in the reception area. Someone came in at 5 am to unlock the room next to ours? Storeroom following the load truck in the street outside. The staff are generally helpful and did their best to assist us move rooms and then move out and go home. The only difficulty we experienced with staff was the lack of English at breakfast time. In summary, idyllic location, poor maintenance and noisy air conditioning which cannot be escaped no matter which room you're in!

Room Tip: Rooms on the floor 2 are private but bring mosquito repellent coils and lotion.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, I am the new owner of Baan Bophut Beach Hotel since Summer 2014. I am happy to report that the problems you experienced during your stay under the old ownership have been resolved. Our hotel has just completed a very extensive renovation of guest rooms and facilities. Bathrooms have been completely gutted and redone with brand new toilets, sinks, water heaters etc. Nothing from the old bathrooms, not even the shower heads and towel racks, has been reused. All ceiling lights fixtures in guest rooms have been replaced with modern halogen and energy saving fixtures. Our cable service has been upgraded and now includes a large selection of international channels in many languages. The TVs are now all large flat screen HDTVs. Reception is now open until 11PM. We hope you will take a look at the new www.baanbophut.com website and check out the many improvements we have made, and consider our hotel again on your next trip to Samui.
Sydney, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We booked a 7 day stay at this hotel. We left after 2. Previous reviews have said it is in a good location. It is - but there are only so many things that can be excused on the basis of that. For a start we emphasised clearly in our booking that we needed a quiet room. We arrived to find an extensive renovation going on next door involving angle grinders and much hammering. No chance of a quiet sleepin or a lounge by the pool or on the beach. Although this may be beyond the hotels control surely it would be more honest to acknowledge it to customers whose priority is peace and quiet. The fact that Room 1 had faulty electricity was mentioned by another reviewer. Add to that that while we were there Room 5 was closed due to a major water leaqk and Room 6 because of electrical short circuit. Even the espresso coffee machine broke down leaving only instant coffee at breakfast!! This hotel has potential but at the moment it is a train wreck in slow motion. It requires considerably more involvement by management and a large investment of funds for maintenance and refurbishment. Until there is evidence of this it is better avoided.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello, I am the new owner of Baan Bophut Beach Hotel since Summer 2014. I would like to let you know that the problems you experienced under the old ownership during your stay have been resolved. We have just completed an extensive renovation and modernization of guest rooms and hotel facilities. We hope you will take a look at the baanbophut.com website and see our renovated rooms and consider our hotel on your next stay in Samui.
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I decided to go for "modest accommodations" this year for my annual yoga retreat at The Yogarden (which was a wonderful experience but that is another review) and Baan Bophut was recommended to me. I read the reviews which mostly said "the staff couldn't be bothered and service was mediocre" but because I also read it was owned by a British couple, I didn't think it would be too bad, but I couldn't have assumed any worse. Apart from the room being clean and located conveniently, I found overall my stay pretty anti-climatic. I stayed in Room 1, on the side. First, the door scraped the floor and the key was difficult to insert and take out, so I couldn't quickly enter the room and close the door without mosquitoes flying in. The towels were frayed and one of the hand towels had a hole! I also discovered that when I used the hot water in the shower over 10 minutes, the electricity in the room would completely shut off. This nuisance occurred daily and the staff didn't seem at all apologetic nor made any effort to make it less unpleasant for me. The staff were a rare sighting which wasn't a big deal but at one point, it did seem odd that nobody was at the reception at nights which made me wonder what they were doing. I did see them chatting in Room 2, lying on the bed with the TV turned on after the visitor checked out. The rates were very low so I guess the phrase "you pay peanuts, you get peanuts" has an universal truth to it. I tried the place for 4 nights and in the end thought it would be better to move elsewhere to make my stay more enjoyable. I was fine with humble environment but don't believe that just because the hotel is mid-budget means you have to deal with aloof staff and put up with no service. If you are thinking to stay here, please manage your expectations accordingly...

Room Tip: Apparently room 3
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
mangolust, Owner at Baan Bophut Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
I would like to thank this guest and the others who stayed recently, for taking the trouble to record their impressions and sincerely regret that we were unable to meet their expectations.

The hotel is managed by our daughter - Lucy, and it is clear from recent reviews that standards have deteriorated during her six week annual leave in UK. Lucy's absence is not intended to excuse or mitigate guests' reports of their disappointing experience, and we have acted to rectify the negative points raised.