I had booked into the Waterfront Bohput based on it's #1 status in Koh Samui, and was sorely dissapointed. I wasn't expecting luxury by any means, at only $70 per night, but given the standard I of accommodation and service it wasn't even worth this much. As soon as I had put my bags down, we hired a jeep to drive around the island and find a better spot. We ended up checking in at the Buri Rasa (for just over double the price of the Waterfront and was worth much more than the extra $$) for the rest of our stay, even though we lost all our money we spent on the Waterfront Bophut because they make you pay upfront on arrival.
As I saw the place it looked exactly like the pictures, but 100 times worse. The hotel was more like a cabin park and the beach was absolutely terrible!! The tide was out all day, and you can not walk on the sand without shoes as it is too course. We saw a little girl with blood running down her legs because she had gone into the water with protective shoes on, but slipped over and cut her knees on the coral. If you are planning a trip to Thailand to see the stunning white beaches it is famous for....you will definitely not be satisfied with the Watefront Bophut.
The swimming pool looked as though it had been built in the 70's and was big enough to have about 2 children swimming in it.
The room was tiny and the shower had no water pressure. The bed was the most uncomfortable sleep I have ever had...and I am taking into account that the previous week I was sleeping on bamboo floors in a hut!
The place did not have a nice feel to it as it felt like you were just staying at somebody's holiday shack and that the guests were there more for the owners entertanment than their own. We heard the owner give every guest that arrived the same story about how they are "very cool and relaxed here" but I think he is getting that confused with being unprofessionally run.
We did see one staff member blow his nose into his hand and wipe it on his shorts as we were eating our breakfast which also did not fill us with confidence about the hygiene levels.
We ended up staying in Chaweng, where the beach was stunning and hotel was gorgeous! There were no problems about it being to rowdy as there were mainly families & people on romantic holidays (I didn't see any footy trips or loud groups of young people around)
There is absolutely no way this place should even be in the top 50% of hotels in Koh Samui, and I am astounded that it has been at #1 for so long. I felt as though I had been mislead by the other reviews, so if you are after something more than an overpriced cabin park on a rock filled dirty beach please look elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family run, small, select and peaceful, yet only steps away from excellent restaurants, bars and boutiques.All rooms are beachfront and the view of the sea and outlying islands is spectacular. Many guests extend their stay, recommend us to others or return themselves, often to meet other guests who have now become friends. Its like coming home, they say. Lots of little touches to make you feel welcome including free pick-up and free internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Waterfront Hotel Bophut
- Waterfront Hotel Bophut
- Waterfront Bophut
- The Waterfront Ko Samui/Bophut