“Ideal location great staff medium price” 4 of 5 stars

Montien House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Moo 2, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #65 of 175 Hotels in Bophut
Gold Coast
“Ideal location great staff medium price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Good location. We paid for upgrade and had to walk 2 flights of stairs but room was very spacious with four poster bed and very large bathroom. Negative would be that there is no balcony for private afternoon drinks whereas bungalows had a nice outdoor area attached on ground level. Staff were wonderful. Our room was quiet and faced the beach but nightly fireworks on beach could be an issue for some. (Lasted short time only and this happens all along the beachside resorts). Another guest was located away from the beach and he mentioned to us that street noise was a major factor so middle of the resort would definitely be the best location. Tea and coffee facility supplied daily which we didn't find in other hotels throughout Thailand.

• Stayed September 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Hebrew first
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Just returned back from Samui and the beautiful Montien House. My wife and i needed a chilled out break and this place provided all the necessary ambiance and the choice of getting our party on if required. Set on the beach with the private separated bungalows in beautiful garden settings the ease of being by the pool, beach or the main road of the Chaweng night life is but a stroll away..or a stumble depending on how many Changs or cocktails you have!
The rooms are clean, spacious and the value for money is brilliant ( $45 Au ), breakfast fantastic, staff friendly, and of course the location brilliant!
We wont hesitate to book there again, thanks Montien House for giving us all we imagined and you delivered!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the private plunge pool suite recently. The room itself was a pleasant surprise. Really spacious, fairly clean, comfortable bed and ofcourse the private pool. Add to this that the hotel is located close to everything right on Chaweng beach, we couldn't have asked for more. The breakfast included in the price was adequate as well. The beach itself isn't great for swimming, but its lovely in the evenings. The hotel itself has a restaurant on the beach where they have live music serve decent food, but step outside and discover the fascinating food of koh samui. Most places we ate in, big or small, the food was awesome. I could go back to koh samui just for the food !

The downside - not much, the hotel looks a little old and run down, but overall is definitely good value for money.

• Stayed August 2012
Haifa, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Excellent hotel right in the middle of Chaweng, in the heart and very busy Chaweng beach.
Stuff is nice and friendly, rooms are clean and buffet breakfast is very good.
Pool need a little beat more are and attention.
The beach is not the best, as it's right where the waves breaker is located, so the water is shallow and not clean, even dirty. So, to enjoy the beach you should walk along until you reach a proper beach.

Room Tip: Villa with private pool is highly recommended.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I spent in Montien House two weeks and I've not regretted it. Exellent location - in the middle of Chaweng Beach, but not too close to Ark Bar with loud music. Beautiful territory with garden like in jungle. Nice bungalow with comfortable beds, nice furniture and good bathroom. In a room of course air-conditioning and refrigerator. Beautiful swimming pool decorated with mosaics and wooden sunbeds (not plastic)! Wi-Fi only near the swimming pool and restaurant. I recommend this hotel to all people!!!

Room Tip: If you prefer to sleep until noon, checking in to a bungalow in the garden - not near the swimming p...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is my third time staying at Montien House and if I'm back to Samui then it won't be the last!

They came to our rescue on this visit as on this occassion I was convinced by my fiance to try another resort he had stayed at years before instead of my usual Montien. The resort we stayed at was a disaster, completely awful & straight away I call Sawadee (who I use for booking in Samui) and asked them to please check if Montien had a room available as we couldn't stay in the other resort as it was simply awful.
Thankfully Montien had one room available and even gave us a free upgrade as they had no standard rooms available. My fiance was so rattled that he wanted to go check the room first & Montien were happy to take us through & of course it was clean & lovely.

Once we arrived we felt immediately happier, the service was friendly and warm and they appeared to have a new Service Manager (a lovely thai lady whose name i can't remember) and she really made us feel at home & welcome.

Our room was a beachfront room and was next to the pool and we loved it. The pool isn't huge but its big enough and there were free sunbeds whenever we wanted to use them.
As I've said before the hotel location is perfect as its close to everything but still far enough away from the noise of the clubs/ bars for you to be able to get a good nights sleep.
The only negative I would say of this trip was that our bed was quite firm & a bit too hard for our preference but it wasn't uncomfortable and we still had good nights sleep, and its not unusual for thailand resorts.
Previously i've stayed here with friends both times but its suitable for all.
Would happily stay at Montien again!

PS Only other thing to note is that the water isn't particularly great (bit shallow & not as clean due to lack of tidal in/outwash) at the beach area directly in front of the hotel due to the man made beach break spanning across part of chaweng beach there, however you only need to wonder a 2-3 mins down the beach to find deep crystal clear water.

TIP: If you're looking for somewhere nice but a little bit cheaper than Montien then Lucky Mother resort next door has just renovated a whole heap of their rooms so they are practically brand spanking new with new bathrooms, A/C & flat screen tvs. However... there is no pool & no included breakfast & rooms are a little bit smaller than Montien but still good size. Fiance's brother got a renovated room there with AC & TV for 1000 baht for night i think, and without tv was only 800bht per night. If I was travelling solo or looking for cheaper option Lucky Mother would be my pick but otherwise I will keep going back to Montien! :)

Room Tip: If you want to splurge, the Pool Villas which have their own private pool are awesome!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

If you want a waste a load of cash on an overpriced resort then you won't be able to do it at Montien House, perfectly placed in Chaweng, right on the beach with an excellent choice of places to eat and drink, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. It's not a 5 star resort and doesn't claim to be but knowing how much I paid for 7 nights I feel like I was ripping them off.
The staff and very attentive, friendly and hard working and add to the charm of the place. The fantastic breakfast sets you up for the day after a great nights sleep in the air conditioned room and nice big bed.
The reality is, I don't want everyone who reads this to make a booking, because I don't want Montien to be all booked up for my next visit.

Room Tip: The pool rooms looked the best but might be too much for some,
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Montien House? Share your experiences!