“Relaxing and premium atmoshere, with good management team.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa

You added Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   177 Moo 1, Bophut Beach | Koh Samui, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Bophut
“Relaxing and premium atmoshere, with good management team.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Thank you for relaxing atmoshere and kind welcoming! The rooms and rest facilities were well designed to get maximum pleasure. I could feel individual touch in every hotel's detail. Good and easy acesed internet. The complementary sparkling wine in breakfast made my day every morning. Also management is able to solve problems when they arrived. Minor improvement of restaurant staff is needed, but overall may family stay here was great!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Adrien G, Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear GustavsCESU,

Greetings from Koh Samui

We wish to express our sincerest appreciation for choosing Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa for spending your holiday.

We also thank you for your time invested to compliment our Resort. Regarding our restaurant staff, please note that we are re-enforcing our service standards in order to improve the guest experience in our restaurant.

We hopefully will see you very soon!

Kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at Zazen with my boyfriend in mid February 2013. We are in our late 20s/early 30s, from California. Our stay at Zazen was truly an amazing experience - I didn't want to leave. If I ever go back to Samui, I would stay at Zazen again in a heartbeat. The hotel grounds are beautiful - gardens with gorgeous flowers, butterflies, statues... winding river and ponds with koi fish... very serene and beautiful. We stayed in a Garden Villa (b/c all other rooms were sold out when we booked) - and I actually would recommend a garden villa because they seem to have the most privacy and space between units, compared to the other options - though I don't think you can really go wrong with any villa. The staff is incredibly friendly, attentive and "on it" - very nice/cute attention to detail, including things like the spa staff giving complimentary 7 minute massages on the beach to guests and the wait staff coming by with complimentary cold fruit skewers a few times a day at the beach. Zazen's beach area is the best in that area of Bophut beach - it has the nicest set-up/beach furniture/etc on that area. The hotel has bikes you can borrow to explore the area. We went to the neighboring Fisherman's Village - really great street food, fun local bars, and better shopping than what the typical Thai street vendors have. I cannot say enough about the Zazen. Truly an amazing experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Carolyn,

Greetings from Koh Samui

We also thank you for your time invested to compliment our Resort. We hopefully will see you very soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I eloped at Zazen in September. We stayed for twelve days, and we're married on our fourth day there. Ame, the wedding coordinator, and staff were exceptional! From the first contact made, Ame was a complete dream! She always made sure we were comfortable with inquiring about whatever we needed, and considering the time difference was able to respond in 24hrs or less and generally much less time! Anything we needed or required was organized and prepared accordingly. As the bride, I had not one thing to worry about, except smudging my nails!! :)
The Resort itself is romantic, small and beautiful. The staff, in traditional Thai form but even more so, were extremely pleasant and within days we were fond of so many of them as individuals as much as those faces that we woke up to and were assisted by every day at every moment. Charles too, was extremely warm and knowledgeable on the offerings of Zazen and the endless culinary possibilities and pairings of wines and champagnes! If you are not able to stay at Zazen but are in Bophut or Koh Samui, any one can and should stop by for a lunch, dinner, show or even high tea at Zazen. The executive chef even has special limited number sittings for dinner in a private sala. Of course you can do all of these things or even try the cooking class offered on site! Any and all options are worth it. The food is really very, very good. Actually leaving the premises to other restaurants such as dinner at Anantara or brunch at Beach Club Di not cut it, Zazen was IT for me and my husband...every one else paled in comparison...no offense to any establishment. Also evening cocktails in the Salon de the is a nice chance to mingle with fellow guests and have one on one with the owners and managers of Zazen! Like anything else at Zazen, always with a genuine smile!
The Spa on site is another great memory for me...if I could have slept in there, I would have! The Spa staff were wonderful, in every aspect!! Numerous options for individual males or females and for couples. From as little as a pool soak and sauna to a three hour session of heavenly curing methods! I will go back!
The shop/boutique has just enough to tickle the senses and allows you to pick up the replacement sunscreen or purchase robes and little bits of artisanal wares etc. Nice things that are different from the street markets, etc., perhaps more aimed towards lifestyle as opposed to memorabilia. My husband, was very happy to be able to choose from a nice selection of cigars whenever he felt that way inclined. The staff there too are very sweet!
All in all, Zazen was a dream come true! I highly reccomend it to any one for any of their offerings whether staying there or just a meal and a show. When we left Zazen at the end of our stay, we were very touched by the warmth that they had shown us. Truly above and beyond what you get in most places, regardless of the money spent. The staff at Zazen felt like family, and that family made the most important day of our life the best day of our life! It was an experience we will never forget it!! We hope to return many times in the future!!

Our only regrets....
1) I have not written the review until now...completely my fault!
2) We don't actually live there!! ;)

A million thanks again to the ENTIRE Zazen staff...we miss you all!!

Carlos and Bianca Villegas

Room Tip: Room 11 and Any beach front bungalow are quite nice. As it is a small property, really any room is n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Adrien G, Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Carlos and Bianca,

Greetings from Koh Samui

We wish to express our sincerest appreciation for choosing Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa for hosting your wedding.

We also thank you for your time invested to compliment our Resort. Ame does love "her bribes and grooms" and it is always a very special moment for her as well!

We sincerely hope to be able to host your wedding anniversary in the future!

Thank you again for everything!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of my stay at Zazen. The staff were extremely courteous, the facilities were top notch, and the breakfast in the morning was a work of art! I highly recommend a stay of at least 3 days here to fully soak in all the amenities. I hope to return and try the amazing spa treatments offered, but my garden villa felt like a spa in itself, with its soft bed, hot showers, great AC, and wonderful decor. Zazen is a magical place to visit, and the longer I stayed there, the longer I wanted to stay. I found it to be a wonderful place to relax after all the moon parties, cramped bungalows, and bumpy boat rides I encountered on my 19 day visit to Thailand's islands.

Room Tip: Call EARLY for more options. Garden villa were wonderful!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Charles,

Beaulieu, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The thing about Zazen is that it's a unique, intimate, (and maybe slightly quirky) experience. Don't bother here if you're the sort of person who seeks familiarity. If you like to walk into a hotel room anywhere in the world and know where the hairdryer is, book into the Four Seasons (or a Travelodge!) I'm sure that 'star' ratings vary by country anyway, so I arrived here with my only expectations based on price per night (cheaper than some of the other 'luxury' brands available locally, but certainly not 'bargain basement')-a week's rest on the beach following a 10 day tour in the north of the country, and little or no pre conceived ideas about exactly what services or room facilities to expect (it had been suggested and booked for me by a Thai specialist travel consultancy). They were surpassed.
I was (unexpectedly) travelling alone, so a little apprehensive about how I would be treated in a place that appeared to be quite 'couples-orientated'...I need not have worried. I shall mention some of the facilities, but the most important and unique thing about Zazen is the team of truly wonderful staff.
The greeting I received was delightful - I was only barely aware of the (few) formalities as cold towels and a fresh fruit punch were dispensed in the beautiful and tranquil reception area (set over water). I was then shown around the resort (and introduced to some more staff on the way). My 'deluxe garden villa' was a pleasant surprise - a raised dias on which the low comfy bed rested, lots of thoughtful amenities in the room were provided and there was a verandah for sitting outside.
Although initially surprised that ALL the villa's toilet facilities were 'outdoor' (although 'en-suite' of course...) I soon got used to this - the bathroom felt private and I was unaware of others due to the 'sensitive' positioning of the villas, at angles...There are only 26 rooms or so, organised in groups of 4, surrounded by lush tropical vegetation. And the bathrooms have high walls, just really 'open' for a few centimetres between the sloping roof and the wall. The only intermittent issue I experienced was with the water pressure in the shower, something that I understand, given the age of the infrastructure, so I did not feel it necessary to mention this minor issue to the staff team, as I'm sure that there is little that can be done about it- I just spent a few moments more than usual relaxing in the shower! The next day another minor problem with my room was immediately rectified with a move to a more suitable villa for me.
Throughout my stay, I was greeted at every turn with a smile of recognition, a polite enquiry about my day and a question: 'can I do anything else'? When the staff began to get to know my 'routine', loungers were reserved, my favourite pre-lunch cocktail suggested at the right time, and one morning when I missed breakfast due to having felt slightly unwell during the night, two waitresses appeared at the door to my villa, unbidden, with fruit and pastries (from the lovely and substantial breakfast buffet) to check I was okay as they hadn't seen me and wanted to ensure that I'd eaten!
I treated myself to a massage in the spa on my first day, which was one of the best I've had, with the therapist communicating well and offering a very relaxing treatment in a beautiful setting next to a koi fish pond. You can get much cheaper massages locally, but I really enjoyed the calm and tranquil setting and little touches (nice shower, gown,locker, tea etc) that I think make it worth paying the extra for: an occasional treat.
The hotel is situated next to a little inlet, at the quiet end of the bay, although Bohput village is only a pleasant 15 minute stroll away along the beach. If you don't want to walk through sand and surf on the gently sloping beach in a tropical climate, there is always the road which runs directly parallel to the beach and has shops and amenities all along to the village. There are plenty of drinking and dining options in Bohput, and it is MUCH quieter than Chaweng, a 10 minute taxi ride away.
The pool at Zazen is beautiful - boutique, rather than olympic dimensions, as I would expect in a hotel of this style and size but set beautifully with a jacuzzi and partly shaded by a beautiful (?lotus) tree...gorgeous!
Koh Samui is a tropical island. Therefore, there are mosquitos. The staff come round every night with coils which burn for several hours in the verandah and bathroom, and helpfully the hotel provides lots of 'in room' options to minimise any bother from the little blighters - without going down the route of boxing the customers in glass. It is not necessary to take precautions against malaria here. If you are scared of the odd bite: take personal spray repellent, cover up, or go on holiday to somewhere cold!
The beach is lovely, with warm sea and enough activity to 'people watch' if you're bored with your Jackie Collins (other novelists are available...) But the beach sellers (like all the other Thai people I encountered on this trip) were, to a person, happy, smiling and content to just ask politely if you would like to buy anything and then move on if the offer was declined. A special mention too for Den, the beach boy who spends all day straightening towels, moving loungers and parasols into/out of the sun, serving cold flannels and complimentary fruit, and reminding guests to drink water (and order something from the extensive beach menu for lunch!)
The restaurant at Zazen has the reputation of being one of the finest on the island. It is also very romantic, lit by Moroccan style lamps and hundreds of candles. On my second night I sat in the bar for a drink and chatted with the young and extremely personable maitre d' (sorry I neglected to check your name). He was kind enough to indulge my rusty attempts at French too! I expressed some little anxiety about dining alone in a sea of couples. No problem, he said, you will have a corner table if you prefer, and I will make sure you are well looked after. I booked for a couple of days hence, in the evening, and was rewarded, on arrival, by the maitre d' offering the option of moving my seating position so that I could look out to sea if I preferred, in case I felt gawped at by the other couples! I took my ipad and discreetly read between courses....and ate a beautiful lobster based 'discovery' menu, and drank a great bottle of French wine.
The service was of the highest personal quality that I have experienced in some years. Fang the lovely bar lady and her trainee Chai also made my stay memorable, spending time chatting and laughing with me whilst attempting to teach me some Thai words and phrases.
If you are hoping for some good wine each night though, deep pockets are required, apparently at least in part due to a 400% import tax or something...I stuck most of the time to a cocktail or beer, although the hotel sells a surprisingly pleasant Thai white called (I think) 'Monsoon Ridge' which at about twenty five quid a bottle is probably the cheapest wine drinking option!
The quality of personal service, small number of rooms (therefore guests) and amenities here make this place feel more like an exclusive club. The hotel's room pricing policy, when set alongside the standards of amenities and service, make this VERY good value in my book. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and look forward to holidaying here again -'solo' or with someone special - in the future. Thank you Zazen for looking after me so well. Richard F.

Room Tip: Room 17 is secluded and only a few steps to the pool or beach
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear JRJF63,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

A perfect honeymoon stay at Zazen! Garden deluxe room was spacious and really classy. Breakfast is really well done, with the tomato salad a real winner! One issue was there was no happy hour, and when singha's are 100 baht it was a better option to have cold beers in your garden deluxe table setting. A night in the restaurant was well worthwhile, the food was first class! We were so pleased with our stay there and would definitely head back. Pros great rooms and beachside location. Cons no happy hour which is what this punter wants!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Richard,

Greetings from Koh Samui

We also thank you for your time invested to give us feedback about your stay. We sincerely apologize if we do not offer any happy hour, but we feel that this does not really fit with our concept. On the other hand, we provide with complimentary refreshments throughout the day around the pool and on the beach and we invite all our guests once a week for a cocktail in Le Salon de Ti.

Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at Zazen mid December for just under 2 weeks and had an excellent stay. We stayed in one of the Garden Villas, which we loved, it was a very generous size, stylish, super clean and comfortable.
The food was lovely and we ate there a few evenings, plus sampled lots of the juices and cocktails whilst relaxing on the beach or by the pool which were lovely!
The beach was perfect, lovely warm sea, comfortable loungers and very attentive staff.
The service at breakfast was a little haphazard and the coffee was pretty terrible but to be honest it would hardly put me off staying again especially as the staff were so lovely.
We had a few treatments in the spa which were quite pricey but really good, certainly worth one or two as a treat!
This isn't the place for you if you want a party holiday, but if you are after a luxurious, relaxing break then Zazen is heaven!

Room Tip: The Garden Villas are lovely, very peaceful, large and comfortable
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Emma,

Greetings from Koh Samui

We also thank you for your time invested to give us feedback about your stay!

In regards to your comments regarding the breakfast, we have already re-enforced training for our Breakfast staff, we apologize if this has in anyway affected the quality of your stay.

Regarding the coffee, we do use French Coffee Press which allow a long poor coffee which is appreciated by most of European guests. We do however provide the option of espresso, cappuccino, latte or any other type of coffee which would suit your taste. I apologize if this has not been explained to you.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in Samui soon to showcase our improvement.

Zazen Management.

Been to Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!