“Loved the breadfast, pool, and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Six Senses Samui

You added Six Senses Samui to your Saves list
Six Senses Samui
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9/10 Moo 5, Baan Plai Laem, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Special Rate
Special 3 nights package
Ranked #26 of 173 Hotels in Bophut
Tokyo, Japan
“Loved the breadfast, pool, and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We picked this place because we loved Six Senses' Con Dao resort very much. All the expected good things are there, airport pickup car with lemongrass scent, wonderful choices of breakfast with local touch, soothing welcome drinks, early check-in/check-out, villa with private pool, huge bathtub with romantic bath salt, etc. We loved the Thai cuisine at On the Hill restaurant better than On the Rocks. On the Rock serves very interesting course resembles to molecular gastronomy restaurant in NYC, and the price is like being in NYC. We took snorkeling and kayaking cruise tour through the resort operated by local company, but I would suggest to expect it is not as relaxing and clean as in the resort, rather rough and adventurous. Anyways, this resort is a lovely place, highly recommended. Would love to visit again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Gomeida,
Thank you for your candid feedback on a recent visit to six senses koh samui, we are all very pleased to see that you enjoyed the wonderful breakfast, and selection of food at both dining on the rocks and dining on the hill, including the lovely ambiance in your villa and around the resort. We all look froward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future. If you require any further information kindly contact me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
David Ashworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

PROS:

*Lovely staff (especially butlers and staff at breakfast)

*Quality and clean breakfast, nice restaurants with awesome ocean views

*Eco-friendly, suits nature-lovers

CONS:

*Lots of insects; I understand that's unavoidable, however, we found there were many mosquitoes inside the villa and the deck was always crawling with ants (their insect repellant which we practically emptied had little to no effect)

*On the same note, there were noticeable slits (the size fitting an iPad as one reviewer suggested) around the doors and windows where the insects obviously entered the villa without problem

*The pool in our Ocean View Pool Villa was not desirable. Not only did it look battered and aged, but the tiles were green (really don't understand why they would choose that) which made the water completely green - didn't exactly made me want to jump in

*Shuttle bus to town went only twice in the evening with strange drop-off and pick-up times, none during the day

*The villas are poorly soundproof, just walking by someone's villa you could hear them doing whatever they were doing. The bathroom also consisted of netted walls and shutters (no air-condition) and we happened to be right by a trail so people would always be walking and talking right on the other side (and they obviously heard us as well)

*Speaking of the bathroom, while I didn't love the "outdoors" style of it, I didn't mind it. What I did mind was the wooden sliding doors separating the bathroom from the rest of the villa - they were so clumsy and impractical

*We had a case of bad smelling towels and a bad smelling pillow (which we specifically asked to be changed; the entire pillow and not just pillowcase, yet only the latter went through)

*Long trek (shortcut) to a basic beach

*Their second restaurant (only dinner) only serves a minimum of a three-course we were told, so you can't go there to eat less

*(This only speaks of our experience with one of their employees specifically.) Since we couldn't eat at said restaurant we opted for drinks instead. Barely having taken our last sip one of the staff (larger, darker man) lingered and asked us if we would be ordering anything else. Politely declining, he announced he would be getting us the bill. OK, thanks?

Upon signing it he went on and said he'd get us a buggy back to the villa. This might not sound like much, but at the time the nature of his approach was rude and confusing. We felt unwelcome and rushed to go (having been there less than 15 minutes with absolutely no indication we were leaving), for no reason. There was only one other guest there. How about the guests are allowed to just sit and relax and will ask for the bill or a buggy when desired?

Final note:

This resort did not live up to the Six Senses name. I believe the butlers and the service are the things still keeping the guest satisfaction up. The resort itself is disappointing. For a basic villa this is an okay stay, but having paid the price for an Ocean View Pool Villa I was left thoroughly unimpressed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear KB500,
Thank you for your feedback on a recent visit to six senses koh samui, my team and I were very pleased that you enjoyed the service provided by our guest experience makers, plus the quality of our breakfast with the wonderful views. With regards to the Cons: I have shared all your remarks with the department heads concerned focusing on further training to eliminate service issues at dining on the rocks, and with my housekeeping team on Insect control, including correct linen changes taking place in the villa. With regards to the overall structure of the villa, looking battered and aged, I just feel that for our readers you perhaps made the wrong choice and a more opulent style of resort with modern features would have been a better choice, rather the outdoor intellegent luxury approach. Sound proofing is very important and we thank you for your observations this point will be shared with our design team. Thank you once again for providing us with your valued feedback, should you wish to share any further comments, please do not hesitate to contact me personally at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed at the Six Senses Samui for our engagement and were absolutely blown away by it. The pictures on the website looked amazing but even they didn't do it justice, a view to die for and villas nothing short of spectacular. The staff were an absolute credit to everyone involved, especially our GEM Aon, the friendliness, service and willingness to help was on a level I've rarely experienced. I feel like the resort has the perfect blend between natural/eco and luxury. I would love to return one day and will definitely visit another Six Senses Resort after this.

The only negative was housekeeping never changed the bed linen despite several requests to do so but that's hardly a fault compared to all the positives.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear CharlesH604
Thank you for your candid remarks on a recent visit to six senses koh samui, my team and i are very pleased to see that you had such a wonderful time with us, enjoying the ambiance of your villa, and the tentative service from Khun Aon your guest experience maker. I have discussed your remarks regarding the changing of your bed linen with our housekeeping team and they send there apologies. We do hope that we can welcome you back in the not to distant future, should you have any enquiries do not hesitate to contact me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Having travelled around Thailand we were very much looking forward to a week on the beach with our 6 year old daughter. The rooms are very well laid out and can easily accommodate a child. If you are travelling with more than one child, there is larger accommodation which works very well with a family of 4. I think the Villas in the pool are great but I found my daughter and her friend were far keener to be at the main pool or on the beach. As a couple it is not relevant but as a family I would opt for being nearer pool or beach.

The food and bar are great, and having experienced the cuisine at a nearby hotel, I realised we were very lucky. Breakfast is fantastic and sets you up for the day. We ate both in the hotel and in the local town. I would very much suggest trying some of the restaurants near the beach. The recommendations from the hotel were spot on with regard to the required standard and location.

The staff were extremely helpful, sadly I cannot recall the name of our butler but she was brilliant and our daughter loved her. The general manager, David Ashworth, was not only accommodating and helpful, he took a real interest in the guests and their opinions on how to improve what is already a good product. Which I understand will even be improved this year.

I hope you enjoy the resort as much as we did.

Kevin

Room Tip: Choose a room near the pool and restaurants or the beach. We did not use our pool in the villa.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kevin H,
Thank you for your candid feedback on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui, very nice to see that you had such a wonderful time with your family, especially enjoying our large selection of food at breakfast, and variety of dishes in our main restaurants. I have also passed on your kind remarks to your guest experience manager. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again, or at another six senses. If you should require any further assistance kindly contact me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a fantastic hotel, set in a secluded location amongst the greenery of the forest. We were collected by the Six Senses vehicle, including cold wet towels and water and promptly dropped at the hotel. We had emailed a few days prior to arrange early check in and villa on the sunset side and these were all agreed to with no fuss.

Room

We were greeted by our GEM Tong as soon as we arrived, taken to the bar for a welcome drink and then shown to our pool villa. The villas are very large, with a bedroom with air con and then a separate bathroom with bath, day bed and then outdoor shower. Downstairs is the pool and sun loungers and day beds.

I’ve read some reviews complaining about air con noise and condition of the wood is looking dated but I have to totally disagree, I think the condition was great bearing in mind the humidity and amount of use the villas get. The hotel provides anti mosquito devices in the room, nets and fogs the resort a number of times a day. The chances are you will get bitten if you don’t spray yourself or apply the cream the hotel provides.

Another great thing about Six Senses was the fact you get to choose when your room is cleaned(twice a day) and the type of scent you want on the bed. These things really allow you to relax as the hotel fits in around you.

Restaurants

The breakfast are amazing. Everything is so fresh and the choice is plentiful. The cooked breakfast is ordered and the delivered to your table, again just the little things that help you to relax.

The evening menu is varied and prices compare well to those outside the resort, especially when you add on shuttle and taxi costs. Dining on the Rocks is a must, incredible food in an amazing setting.

All the staff are very attentive and friendly, always have a smile on their face. You are visited by your GEM every morning where you can discuss any plans or ask for ideas. Tong was great, always so happy and did everything in such an efficient manner. David the manager was always around helping out and willing to speak to guests, something more hotels should strive for.

Pool & Beach

The pool is amazing. One of the best infinity pools I've seen and do to the fact most guests have their own pools it’s never crowded or loud, a perfect place to relax. There is a drink and food service too at the pool whenever required.

As mentioned in other posts the beach isn’t great and there is building work on the other side of the bay, so we didn’t really venture round there too much.

Spa

My Wife and I had a number of treatments and were all very good and never felt rushed.

Overall

We had an amazing stay, and lived up to our high expectations. As long as you go expecting a rustic resort I cannot see how you could not love this place.

Room Tip: We choose sunset side and loved it, was close to the main pool and restuarants
Dear gj23,
Many thanks for your candid feedback on a recent visit to six senses samui, my team and I are really pleased that you had such a wonderful time, with special thanks to your guest experience maker Khun Tong, so nice to see that you especially enjoyed the lovely ambiance in your villa, the good food in our restaurants, spa, pool and beach. We really look forward to welcoming you back to samui or one of our sister properties in the not to distant future. Should you require any further information do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This hotel is awesome! We enjoyed our villa with the private pool very much. We hope we will return again soon. We had come here for a wedding. The only thing we were upset about was that our laptop got stolen.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Nathan S,
Thank you for your candid remarks on a recent visit to Six Senses Koh Samui, we are very pleased to see that you had such a wonderful time, enjoying your private pool and villa experience. On another note my team and I noted you had a missing laptop, could you kindly advise me if it went missing whilst travelling, do keep in touch by contacting me personally on gm-samui@sixsenses.com
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have just returned home from a 7 night stay at the Six Senses on Koh Samui and we are already missing it. Our Ocean View Pool Villa was very spacious and was situated in the resort's lovely grounds that are constantly tended to. There is access to a nice beach area and a glorious infinity pool. It is out of the way of the main towns of Fisherman's Village and Chaeweng, but a shuttle service is provided every evening for a small fee.

The service is outstanding and we can not praise our "butler" Chiaki enough. She ensured that our every need was catered for from arranging transport, making bookings and caring for our general well being throughout our stay.

The food and service at Dining on the Hill restaurant was excellent, with a range of Thai and international options. Whilst Drinks on the Hill provided a serene area to enjoy a wide variety of drinks.

The Dining on the Rocks restaurant was a wonderful experience, with outstanding service (please refer to separate review).

We would recommend anyone visiting Koh Samui to consider Six Senses

Dear Nigel B
Many thanks for your candid remarks on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui. My team and I are very pleased to see that you had such a wonderful time, with special thanks to Chiaki your guest experience maker and our executive chef for the wonderful food that you enjoyed so much. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the not to distant future. Should you require any further information kindly contact me personally at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
David Ashworth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Hansar Samui Resort
Hansar Samui Resort
#16 of 173 in Bophut
4.5 of 5 stars 1,755 reviews

Been to Six Senses Samui? Share your experiences!