“Dreamy, relaxing, other worldly experience...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Six Senses Samui

Save Saved
You added Six Senses Samui to your Saves list
Six Senses Samui
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9/10 Moo 5, Baan Plai Laem, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #17 of 77 hotels in Bophut
Singapore, Singapore
“Dreamy, relaxing, other worldly experience...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This was a mom & son hols, a surprise really...we'd already done our annual Bali trip and this was unplanned and last minute... Six Senses touches all the senses and more, it excels and the staff make that happen, nothing is too much trouble, kind, courteous and welcoming. My son is a global traveller for both work and pleasure and adores Thailand, through him I have fallen for the country, its diversity, and its people are the kindest and most generous i have had the honour of meeting. Six Senses was a first for us and what it offers is an exemplar to all... The environment is considered, the local population are appreciated moreover what is offered is high standard at all times. I cannot fault it... We were upgraded to the Presidential Villa, an Ab Fab group of strikingly authentic villas with the very best amenities, watching the sun set with a glass of Bubbly in an outside stone bath is the ultimate joy for me... Six Senses offers the traveller all they desire and I mean desire... I thank my son for this fantastic experience and I have to thank all the staff who made our holiday absolutely outstanding.

• Stayed September 2013
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Lili S,
Thank you for your feedback on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui, we are very pleased that you enjoyed the tentative service and special ambiance of your villa including the unique surroundings. I hope that you can visit us again and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We spent 5 days in a pool villa with an ocean view.Although it was not a beach front villa we enjoyed a very nice ocean view,in a specious villa,with a huge bath tub and nice amenities.
This is a very upscale secluded resort,so you will not find vendors on the beach.The infinity pool is amazing,offering stunning views. Dinning on the Rock is a must! You will enjoy an amazing view and an excellent set menu.The staff was very friendly,and especially our private butler called Ink.She greeted us upon arrival,and has provided us with excellent and personal service throughout our stay .She was always accessible and gave us tips for activities out side the resort,such as booking a private long boat tour and sunset dinner at the "Five Island " restaurant, renting a motorbike and planing a day trip around the Island,etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sarmufmaf,
Thank you for your recent feedback on a visit to Six Senses Samui, we are very pleased that we exceeded your expectation and that you enjoyed the size of the villas, lovely views and private infinity pool and general ambiance of the resort, I have also passed on your remarks regarding the food at Dining on the Rocks to our chef. Khun Ink your butler is also very happy that she could make your holiday just that more special.
Sincerely
Boca Raton, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was one of the best hotels in Thailand. The private pool in our room and the outside shower was beautiful. The room was beautiful. The service was great. The beach is quiet and so pretty. The only down side was that to do anything in town you have to take a taxi.

Room Tip: All of the rooms that I saw were great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Simchafirestone,
Thank you for your feedback on a recent stay at Six Senses Samui, we are very pleased to see that you enjoyed the ambiance of your villa especially your private infinity pool, outdoor shower,and tranquil beach area , I have also passed on your remarks to all my team with regards to the service.
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is a very nice place but primarily because of the people who work there. After bad experience we had at Intercontinental Samui, this was a paradise. You feel welcome from the begining and evrybody wants to make you feel good. They assigned us a butler, a lady called Fae. She is superb and sincerely caring. I think she did more than was required of her like check us in for the flight adn giving us lot of useful advice on Samui. I also want to mention Ivan, their head of food and beverages. Each morning he greets people at the breakfast, chats with people in a very nice and frendly manner, getting their feedback. So on customer side, it is a great place. Locationwise, it is about 10-15 mins by car/motorbike from a "village" where there are good restaurants and some shops. it is also relatively close to the airport. On a less exciting side is the beach which is very small but this is compensated by a huge pool and also pools that some villas have (we had one.) I personally did not like the style of the rooms as I prefer more modern style but that a matter of taste.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michael G
Thank you for your comments on a recent holiday at Six Senses Samui, we are very pleased that you enjoyed the ambiance of the resort, especially the services of Khun Fai your butler, I have also shared your feedback with rest of my team especially Ivan the food and beverage manager. We have also noted your remarks concerning the size of the beach, unfortunately Samui does not have many large beaches, most tend to occupy small coves along the cost line.
I hope that you will visit us again and if there is anything i can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Sincerely
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

2 fabulous weeks in this beautiful resort. Amazing sea view villa lost In rocks and nature. People are sweet and professional. Breakfast is perfect. Swimming pool with the view is incredible. We loved to Be In this hotel. Complementary cocktail In sunset is so a good Idea. Kids loved the beach, small but cosy and service exceptionnal. For my part i adore all the fresh fruits waiting for me In the villa everyday. So great hollidays.The manager David is so Nice, and available . Six Senses samui and the Dream Come true.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear VANESSAAZ
Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui, we are very pleased to see that we exceeded your expectation, I will certainly share your comments on the food, service and ambiance with all my team. I hope you can visit us again and if there is anything that I can help you with on your next stay at a Six Senses Resort, please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were here on our honeymoon. We had pushed the boat out for the last week of our honeymoon and went for the 5+star resort over the 5star. Unfortunately by the time we got to Koh Samui the Six Senses had been downgraded to 5star.
The location is stunning but very secluded. So secluded that you are trapped to buy everything from the resort. Unfortunately everything costs 3 times more than it would in the shops. Being our honeymoon we were happy to pay this but its something you should be aware of. Beers are £5 a bottle but there is a happy hour 3-5pm at a beach bar. Wine is unfortunately very expensive at £45 a bottle but apparently this is true across all of thailand.
The room we had in our hideaway villa was beautiful.
As usual in Thailand the service staff were great.
We ate at Dining on the Rocks on our last night which was truely amazing-a real dining experience! Highly recommended and actually good value for what we had.
Unfortunately on the second last night of our stay I fell through the decking outside our villa. It was rotten and I fell straight through it getting stuck at my knee joint. Since returning home my knee has got worse and I am due to have a scan tomorrow on the infected blood clot I now have. The staff were excellent dealing with it but it put a huge dampner on what was an excellent two weeks. Not to mention I have been on antibiotics for a week and can't do any exercise until after it heals properly.
To be honest I would return to eat at Dining on the Rocks but I wouldn't stay here again

Room Tip: dont bother with the upgrade to the pool side villa as the main villa is superb. The ocean view one...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Rosseaglesham,
Thank you for your candid feedback on a recent visit to Six Senses Samui, I have shared your positive remarks with all my team, we are very happy that you enjoyed the ambiance of the resort, the good food and service. I do apologize for the incident which happened towards the end of your stay that left you with a negative feeling on what was a good stay up till this point.
I hope this experience will not deter you from trying another six senses holiday at one of our many locations. Please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com should you wish to discuss any further details.
Wexford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This really is the most amazing hotel.

Stayed here for eight nights in September 2011 as part of our honeymoon.(Long overdue review!) We spent alot of time researching where to go on our honeymoon, where to stay and what to do and boy did we hit on a gem with this hotel.

We arrived in Koh Samui late evening and it was already dark. Our transfer from the airport was by mini bus and when travelling through the island we were a bit unsure if we had made the right decision to go to Samui. When we arrived at the hotel we were blown away by it, its in a very quiet part of the island but yet is close enough to some of the towns/villages for shopping, dining and night life.

Hotel - on arrival we were met by our "butler"!! Yes, a butler! Each villa has a butler assigned to it and ours was Joy. She was amazing and made our stay so memorable. She couldnt do enough for guests and wanted everyone to have a great stay. She was exceptionally hard working and I hope the hotel know what a gem they have in her. She epitomised fantastic customer service and support.

While checking in we were treated to drinks on arrival, informed about all the resort had to offer and then brought to our villa where more hospitality and drinks awaited us.

Villas - the villas are amazing! When you enter on the ground floor you have a large sofa area and your private sun deck. Upstairs is your bedroom, bath/dressing room and outdoor shower. The villas have walls of glass that afford the most amazing views to the ocean and over the property, however, villas are set in such a way around the property that means each is very private. When you enter the bedroom there is a vaulted high ceiling with the large bed the central focus of the room. Rooms are equipped with extensive mini bar facilities, writing desk, sofa/lounging area, guest information, air conditioning and large tv. (see pictures) Down the steps and through the double sliding doors is the bathroom/dressing area that has a huge sunken bath (again with views out over the resort to the ocean), double sinks, large wardrobes & safe, seperate toilet and a huge double outdoor shower. Most have their own private pool but we didnt opt for that villa type when booking. Would recommend that you do if you want something even more romantic and special.

What sets this hotel apart is the attention to detail - everything from umbrellas to torches, beach bags, sun screen, after sun lotion, insect repellant and an extensive array of pillow types are provided. On our first night in the villa we had to fill in a few forms to indicate our preferences on everything from pillow type to when we wanted the room serviced, turn down service and when we wanted ice delivered! In the general areas of the hotel sunscreen, loe vera gel, magazines and towels are all provided at the pool and beach.

Food - hand down the most amazing array of breakfast foods I have ever seen. The selection to choose from is huge, with any hot foods cooked to individual order. Had lunch in the main bar and also at the beach bar and food was lovely. The main restaurant food was delicious, and while more expensive than what you can get in Fishermans Village or Chaweng its well worth it. For any foodies like me, opt to have a cookery lesson from one of the hugely talents chefs. While his english wasnt brilliant, it was good enough for us to get through the lesson together. It is well worth the cost (sorry cant remember!) I had over two hours with the chef Um ( sorry its probably not spellled correctly) and learned so much. Myself and my husband got to eat the food for lunch then.

Drinks - the most amazing cocktails! Try different ones each day, the Singapore Sling is to die for. The main bar is super cool with huge swinging couches, a view out to the ocean and the sounds of the sea at night. Fantastic romantic setting for night caps. Make the most of the happy hour at the beach bar each day! One thing we did notice was that beer seemed quite expensive, even the local Thai beers. But we noticed this on our entire trip not just in this hotel or Koh Samui.

General areas of hotel -
Beach - really lovely (I am a beach person!) but its small ish so dont expect a vast stretch! The beach bar and sports facility on the beach are great and there is also restrooms available. They have cool lounger areas set out in different areas of beach bar/beach

Pool - they have a fantastic infinity pool with views out to two neighbouring islands. There isnt a huge amount of sun loungers at it but as most of the villas have their own pool its not an issue. At least it wasnt when we were there anyway.

Spa - I got a massage on my last day. The general area of the spa is beautiful and again the treatment rooms are individual villas. If you are staying there definitely try out the spa.

Grounds - amazingly well kept with a golf buggy available to bring people to and from your villa & reception if you need it.

Restaurants - main restaurant & food in main bar was really really good. They have the most amazing restaurant called Dining on the Rocks too but we didnt get to eat there. Tables are set on decking that is hanging out over the ocean.Imagine dinner at sunset there!

Money - this resort puts everything on tab so just be mindful of that! its not that the resort is hugely expensive but you could easily loose the run of yourself and end up with a massive bill at the end of your stay. Ours was fine though.

Island -
The island itself isnt the most gorgeous of islands, Im sure that there are more beautiful islands in the region. If you have blue waters and white sand in mind dont expect it but it the beaches etc are really lovely. It seems to be quite a poor island in parts (which we didnt mind) just dont expect glitz and glamour across the board.

We went to Fishermans Village a few nights (you can get a shuttle bus from main reception) for dinner and drinks. There are some really lovely restaurants here with great food. Walk to the end of the main street and there is a bar on the right hand side where you can have drinks on the beach while sitting off on huge bean bags. The restaurant right beside it is also really good. You can also pick up some nice traditional thai pieces here and there is a 711 shop if you need to pick up any necessities.

Went to Chaweng a few times but to be honest I really didnt like it. It struck me as really dirty and horrible. We walked for ages trying to find a nice restaurant, (I had read on the plane over that there was loads of really good restaurants there) eventually went down on the beach and found a really nice one. From the beach entrance it was gorgeous - set outdoors with lots of candles, couches, lanterns, materials of fantastic colour and design. The food was really really good. However, the entrance from the street side was through a really dodgy car park.

Rent a jeep - we rented a jeep and toured the island ourselved. The price of the organised tours arranged through the hotel stuck us as really expensive so we hired a jeep and did it ourselves. The jeep only cost us €40 for the day including insurance and petrol. We toured the coastline ( its only a small island!), went elephant trecking, to a really trendy restaurant for lunch and saw all the buddahs and temples you could hope for!

We hope to go on a trip again early 2014,hopefully to Vietnam. Would love to build in a stay in another of the six senses resorts if I can.

Room Tip: Most villas have their own private pool - go for that if you can., However, villas without pools ar...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Curious Person Wexford,
Thank you for your detailed remarks on a honeymoon vacation back in September 2011, myself and my team are very pleased to see that you had such a wonderful experience. I have especially shared your comments with Joy your butler, and our Executive Chef and his team. Its so nice to see that you enjoyed the ambiance of the resort and the surrounding areas, especially your villa and facilities. I hope that you can visit us again in the future and if there is anything that i can help you with on your next stay please feel free to reach me at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
David Ashworth

Been to Six Senses Samui? Share your experiences!