“Very romantic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Six Senses Samui

Save Saved
You added Six Senses Samui to your Saves list
Six Senses Samui
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9/10 Moo 5, Baan Plai Laem, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #12 of 52 hotels in Bophut
Vancouver, Canada
“Very romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Was told tis island has 1500 resorts. We feel we got the best one for villas.
Very romantic and private.
Food was fine, but villa and property were amazing.
I am used to the fine live, and found it here

Room Tip: Try to get a full water view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We had high expectations going into this trip as the reviews were quite high. However for the amount of money you are paying to stay here, the service was below expectations.
The hotel itself is very private and a good getaway for a romantic holiday away from people. However the service could be much better in my opinion.

Each villa shares a butler and we had problems getting a hold of our butler at times which defeats the whole purpose of having a butler. I guess she was too busy helping other guests to pick up her phone.

The pool is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately the sides of the pool smell like suage and the pools are lined with very sharp rocks.

The hotel is situated in the rainforest area. So there are bugs And Mosquitos everywhere! Inside and outside of the villa. Prepare to bring all types of repellent! The hotel sprays Anti mosquito spray a few times a day and the fumes are quite strong!

Food here was generally very good. The buffet is good and of decent value. The only complaint is that there are flies everywhere, including the food!

The villa itself is nice but the condition and maintenance is a bit on the shabby side. I'm not sure how often our bathtubs and private pool was cleaned as it was a bit dirty when we arrived.

The beach is poorly maintaned. Garbage everywhere to the point where you do not want to go there. It's very sad.

The spa was the best part. Absolutely amazing and no complaints there. Venue was clean and staff was professional.

Overall a relaxing stay with good privacy. However, for the price you pay, you would expect better service and better maintenance of the facilities.

• Stayed November 2012
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Having read all of the Trip Advisor reviews I was led to believe this was a first class hotel. Perhaps it was due to circumstances unique to us but I was far from impressed. It is a very good hotel but not a 5 star to the standard of other international hotels.

The hotel is in a nice location but the rooms are starting to become a little dated. I appreciate I expect the best as I travel often and am fortunate to stay in some of the best hotels around the world. I am therefore using this as the basis for my review.

The staff are all very well meaning and very friendly and warm but on the whole are very poor English speakers and not as professional as I would expect. Perhaps I am being overly harsh but if you are a hotel that charges very high prices then guests will naturally expect the best and this includes a good command of English and highly attentive and prompt service. It was frustrating that many times when we tried to dial the front desk or room service the line was engaged. I don't mind if this happens occasionally but if it occurs too frequently it is a poor reflection on the hotel. Either charge less or employ more staff.

To balance the points above, the food is good and the breakfasts are very good. The prices are comparable to London which seems to be the case with most resorts around the world.

The spa is also good and the treatments are excellent. Again, the pricing is comparable to London but slightly cheaper than some other resorts we have stayed at. I think c.£50 for a treatment is reasonable (and have been in places where they have charged close to £100 for an hour which I think is too much).

The greenery surrounding the resort is also very nice and the diligent staff are always making sure the paths are kept free of leaves.

On the whole the place is nice but I felt it fell short on a number of key areas. Also, and
I am sure this has happened to others, once a few things take place that fall below expectations you sadly start to find more things that are irksome. I am prepared to admit this is what happened during our stay but I also think staff did not go the extra mile to make you feel like a special guest at their resort, especially as we stayed for a long time and used the spa and restaurants extensively during our stay.

By way of feedback, better training of staff and better language skills would enhance the experience a great deal. Also I think the butler service is more like having a designated rep than a true butler service.

In summary, I have heard only great things about Six Senses resorts but I will be unlikely to come back to a Six Senses hotel as there are too many other world class resorts to stay at. If you charge guests a lot make sure you can deliver across all fronts as we customers have plenty of options to choose from.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Hotel Critic_Diva,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent experience at Six Senses Samui.

I and my team were dissapointed to see that we did not live up to your expectations overall.

We have discussed at length how we can improve the following observations, dated feel to the villa, prices of the Spa plus Food and Beverage , improvement of the English language skills, and butler services.

On the other hand thank you for your positive remarks on our selection of food in the resort, the good breakfast and main meals, these comments I have passed onto my Executive Chef

Once again thank you for providing us with these valuable comments, we will take these points and put the necessary training programs in place to ensure we see immediate improvement in those areas which fell short of your expectations

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Last year we had our first Six Senses experience at Yao Noi. We left with the feeling that you CAN buy perfection, or as close to it as possible. Every aspect of the experience was first class. It was thus that we decided to stay with Six Senses as our chain of choice and try a different location this December...we chose Samui.

Four days into our seven day vacation, I find myself writing this review. Sadly, our expectations are not being met - Samui is not living up to the high standards set by Yao Noi. While there are elements of the Six Senses brand that still exist in Samui, there are unfortunately too many things that have proven disappointing - some big and some small, but many.

It began on our arrival. A small thing, but something that caught our attention, was the fact that the weather board had not been updated in three days. What we loved about Yao Noi was the attention to every last detail. It was a "sign" of things to come.

We then were shown our villa, which was supposedly an ocean front villa (the highest price-point option) but that was far from the ocean front and which had other villas between/around us and the ocean. The trees that would have stood in front of our villa had been sawed off perfectly flat at their midway point to allow for our view of the ocean. So much for the natural look and sustainability. We then entered our villa to find that it had a strong mould/mold smell (which seemed to be coming from the air con). We were then moved to another "ocean front villa" with two villas directly between us and the ocean, and a villa on each side. The adjacent villas are so close that we can hear full conversations - never knowing if someone is in our villa, never knowing whose phone is ringing. Not to mention the lovely windows that allow other villas to peer right into your pool or bedroom. Very little privacy.

On the villa design, there is no phone on the lower level with the pool. When a phone rings, there are three issues: whose phone is it? Do I want to get up from my lounger to see what the resort wants? And why does the resort keep calling all the time? Quite annoying when one is tring to relax.

If that wasn't enough to challenge our search for tranquility, the hourly (minimum) take-off and landing of large airplanes certainly has done the trick...starting with a daily 6 am wake-up flight. The entire day from 6-10pm sees airplanes flying low overhead and they are not quiet.

And, if the airplanes weren't enough, at 1pm and 4pm, the resort sets in motion its fogging machines to kill mosquitos. We happened to be snoozing by our villa pool at the time on day one, when a loud noise woke us up (the machines shooting the fog sound like a muffled jack-hammer used to pound concrete) and then we were soon engulfed in a foul-smelling cloud of smoke so thick you couldn't see much at all. We escaped up to our villa only to find that the smoke goes right through the inside of the villas. Yuck. On subsequent days, we sought out the pool or the beach at the fogging times but our search for tranquility was thwarted at every turn - mostly by the landscaping that seems to be going on all day all over the resort. The constant clipping and sawing and chatting and dragging of branches does not make for a peaceful experience.

In short, we feel like we are on the run all day, checking our watches to avoid fogging times, seeking out quiet nooks to avoid the landscapers. And we finally do find a place to relax, the planes are there to remind us that there is no escape.

Other things to point out. First, the beach is very disappointing. It is small, shared with at least two or three other (lower-end) resorts. It is also not easy to swim in as the sand is quickly replaced by large and sharp rocks. Guests from the other resorts are also not kept off the beach. At Happy Hour (two-for-one drinks), the bartender was playing on his phone out of sight. When we found him he seemed annoyed at having to walk up the stairs to serve us. When we ordered our drinks, he failed to mention that only certain drinks were part of happy hour, so we ended up being charged the usual full-fare price. Our oversight I guess???

The main pool area is nice when other guests respect the no mobile phone policy. Unfortunately that has not always been the case this week, and the resort has not enforced it. Also, the lovely treat of free ice cream in the afternoons that we came to love at Yao Noi does not exist at Samui - you can only order ice cream at the restaurant and you have to pay for it.

One of the issues with Samui is the chosen location. The area selected for the resort was a poor choice - too small, too close to the airport, too close to other resorts, lack of a proper beach, villas on top of each other, nowhere to be alone. The food is very good, although the breakfast buffet is limited compared to Yao Noi, and littered with fruit flies. Dining on the Rocks does rock. Food and staff.

In sum, we have not been able to relax in the way we had envisioned. And yet we are paying almost $1,000 USD per day for this experience. Worth it for Yao Noi, but certainly not here. We also thought (actually were told) that being returning guests of Six Senses would have garnered some kind of special treatment, but not the case. The form that we completed online was ignored, and we were sked to complete another on arrival. We did get a bottle of cheap sparkling wine. Yay.

The staff at Samui are, for the most part, fantastic. When we find our butler, she is usually quite helpful. The problem is that she never seems to be able to find us despite the small size of he resort and the few places we could be. As a result we gaven't always gotten the meal times we have wanted, or good seats when there is a performance. In Yao Noi, our butler always knew where we were, predicted our moves, and stayed one step ahead of us. Again, the staff are great, but just a shade under those at Yao Noi. Not their fault - its the overall attention to service snd detail. If they can do it a few islands away, they can do it here.

This was meant to be a get away for my wife and I without the kids - a time to relax, find tranquility, pure relaxation...our sixth sense. Sadly, while we are still finding ways to enjoy our days, it isn't what we were seeking, and certainly not worth the price. We would highly recommend Yao Noi to anyone, but not Samui...it is not full Six Senses material.

Room Tip: Do not waste money on an Ocean Front room. There is no such thing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mat L,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, I was very disapointed along with my team to see that we fell short of your expectations in a number of areas. I have shared your comments with my colleagues and taken a close look at the following points, weather board, the scent on arrival in the villa, location of the phone in proximity to the pool, the fogging times, beach happy hour, and the use of cell phones by the main pool, all very contructive comments, which we will endeavour to ensur the neccessary training is put in place to avoid further such cases reoccuring in the future.

In regards to the planes this is indeed a difficult issue to solve as samui is a small Island and aircraft do come in from various directions, due to its centrally located airport, and to arrive by boat of course would just take to long for any guests wishing to come here.

As much as you where dissapointed with your experience at six senses, we where happy to see that in a few areas we reached your expectations, the Food, Dining on the Rocks, Staff Fantastic

We really value your comments, and appreciate such detailed feedback, this will only help us to improve our quality service standardsand make sure we exceed expectation at all times.

I would really love the opportunity to welcome you back, and show you just how much we have improved, perhaps you would be so kind as to drop me a note to gm-samui@sixsenses.com and we can discuss this further

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The most incredible place I have ever been. Everything is immaculate, the views are stunning, the staff will go out of their way to help you with anything, and the rooms are just perfect.
When we arrived we sat down at the reception which looks out over the most beautiful bay, and when I told them it was my birthday they upgraded our room for free. We stayed in a hideaway villa with private pool and I never wanted to leave.
We plan to come back as soon as we can!
Both restaurants are brilliant with spectacular views. Out of this world stunning.

• Stayed December 2012
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Sian-bolton
Thank you kindly for your remarks, my colleagues are happy to see that you had a memorable time here at Six Senses Samui.
We are all looking forward to your return in the not to distant future
Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The resort is impressive . The vilas will surprise you. The staff is great. All is well maintained. The breakfast is good.
The only problem is the fact that the airport is close and it will ruin the wilderness sensation. Also the vilas are thai inspired and are made from Wood with poor isolation, so noises will travel in and out. It did not bother us but is worth knowing.
As many of the resorts around here they are not recommended for children, but couples will feel great.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Micshu,
Thank you for your feedback this is very much appreciated, I have passed on your remarks regarding the enjoyable breakfast to my chef, observations on insulation and the airport we will share with those persons concerned. Overall it was very nice to see that you enjoyed your experience at Six Senses Samui, my team looks forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We booked 5 nights but arrived in heavy rain which did not change the next day. so we decided to travel onward after one night only. Instead of insisting to pay any early depature fees the GM and his staff offered any help to get us quickly to the sunny beaches of Phuket. Rare experience in these days...
Our pool villa, the food, the service where exceptional, we will be back soon!

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean pool villa. They are worth the price!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WaMiZurich,
Thank you for your comments, we are very happy to see that you appreciated the early check out gesture, aplogies for the inclement weather. We do hope to see you returning to Six Senses Samui in the not to distant future.
David Ashworth

Been to Six Senses Samui? Share your experiences!